Coirnav: Please reconsider the xp rate during Velious

Discussion in 'Time Locked Progression Servers' started by a_librarian, Sep 1, 2018.

1. Spayce Augur

LOL, what delusional world are you living in?

There are several guilds clearing all in era content with no such restrictions. You are completely full of .
  2. NoWay Augur

Seems fine to me, buck up and grind. I did.
  3. Lion of God Elder

This is very similar to my experience. I too have a baby on the way and am trying to decide if I want to continue playing this game despite the major time commitment it requires.

DBG may be making money from XP pots, but I'd guess they'd make even more money due to increased Subscriptions, and Krono purchases, if they raised the XP rates.
    Rile likes this.
  4. a_librarian Augur

Thanks for sharing your experience here. From my POV, the sever xp rate feels balanced around how EQ powergamers play the game (massive boxing, optimized AEing, taking any advantage they can whether or not it's against the rules). I've encountered a lot of these people in my time on Coirnav and the rate they can progress a character is just mind boggling. Seeing this first hand I realized this is who DBG is trying to slow down with the xp rate. They aren't succeeding at that, and the consequence is casual players get burnt out before they can participate in the max level content or roll new alts for fun.

Totally agree on the poor value for money of the XP potions. I mostly use the potions when there's another bonus xp event running, because people are way more motivated to stick around during those events. I like the idea of charges on the potions, maybe decrease the duration to 2 hours and give the potions 3 or 4 charges each. Don't think we will see any changes to these but it would be nice. Even better would be to enable the Lesson (daily usable 100% xp bonus for 30 minutes - starts in GoD I think) feature from the start on TLPs.

I expect we will see a new TLP with a faster xp rate soon, it just makes business sense for Daybreak to do that instead of adjusting Coirnav. If for whatever reason they don't launch a new server I really hope they make some adjustments so new players returning when PoP launches don't have to slog through a terrible grind to participate in the raid fun.
    Jontrann and Rile like this.
  5. Lion of God Elder

Suggesting that I join another TLP if I don't like the XP rate on Corinav is moronic, everything about Corinav is 'right' for me EXCEPT the XP rates which are unnecessarily slow.
    EQ Live might as well be a different game and neither Phinny nor Agnarr fit my 'needs'. Agnarr is locked at the era it's currently in, and I'd miss the first half dozen or so expansions if I joined Phinny. Moreover, Corinav has a High Population, while the other two main TLP's don't.

DBG should add an XP modifier, each player can choose to increase xp by 0% to 100%. This way, all the neckbeards who enjoy the mindless grind can get what they want, while all the casuals who HAVE LIVES yet still want to experience endgame content don't have to dedicate 80hours+ of soulcrushing grinding just to hit max level.
    FIsh Lips likes this.
  6. That0neguy Augur

Except you all knew what you were signing up for when you started playing again. Even then its massively faster then it used to be. The grind is part of the game. What exactly did you come back for, want a custom EQ experience tailored to what you like? Go find an server.

I could understand the frustration if all of a sudden they nerf'd EXP to make it like it is. But that isn't the case here.
  7. Rile Lorekeeper

I'll keep purchasing XP potions as soon as they either A) lower the price significantly or B) Add additional charges
  8. Lion of God Elder

I never played EQ. I had NO idea the XP rates were this slow. It's hard for me to believe a majority of the EQ community supports the XP rates as they are (on Corinav). I'm sure if there were a vote, a super majority would vote for increased rates.

Additionally, there is no reason the XP rates had to be as slow as they were. There is no book of rules for an MMORPG. The xp rates were arbitrarily set to whatever they were. EQ was one of the first games of its kind, everything they did (such as setting xp rates) was essentially a shot in the darkness.

These TLP's don't have to make the same mistakes as classic EQ, especially on a server where most people have already leveled dozens of toons to max level, and really just want to experience (or reexperience) the end-game content.

I wish we knew how many people stopped playing EQ simply because the grind burned them out.
  9. a_librarian Augur

look its a powergamer here to sneer at the casuals
    Rile likes this.
  10. Spayce Augur

I see folks complain about low xp rates, but then I see them say things like “while my xp potion ticks away”.

Folks seriously sit there letting their potion tick away rather than sitting in the Nexus where the buff doesn’t fade? If they can’t even use common sense to maximize the $9 they just spent, what other horridly suboptimal things are they doing over and over that makes the game way harder than it needs to be?

Just like real life is full of people who claim to be sooooo busy while wasting time on many things, gamers who claim the grind is too hard are also likely doing things as inefficiently as possible...like sitting there letting their xp potion tick away.

Folks will pay $9 to watch an xp potion tick away, yet won’t pay someone 1 krono to AFK PL them for a night? Does that make logical sense to anyone? Or does that sound like someone who can’t grasp simple resource management?
    AcemoneyFV likes this.
  11. a_librarian Augur

This is really the point you pick on? Nexus and the buff preservation has been in the game for about one month of the servers life
  12. Spayce Augur

It's an example that illustrates a point, and the logic is not hard to follow....at all. Like....4th grade logical deduction.

Anyone dumb enough to let an xp potion tick away is almost certainly doing many other moronic things that make the game harder than it needs to be.

Anyone willing to spend $9 on an xp potion, but is unwilling to spend 1 krono for 4-5 hours of AFK PL is also too stupid to properly utilize their resources.

I'm confident I could follow this player around and point out 20 other things they are doing to make the grind unnecessarily hard...right before they complain about how hard the grind is.
  13. Biohazerd Lorekeeper

It seems like they could change it so it doesn't feel like you're penalized for killing dark blues.

I like the concept of getting bonus exp for yellows/reds, but killing dark blue mobs feels like the exp drops off a cliff. Make dark blue mobs give more experience and I think a lot of complaints about the exp would go away.
  14. a_librarian Augur

You might want to tone down the obviousness of your trolling, it would take longer until people to ignore you
    Rile likes this.
  15. a_librarian Augur

^ That was directed at Spayce. Please just ignore troll posts
    Rile likes this.
  16. Spayce Augur

Know how to tell when someone has no counter point? They call the other person a troll.

XP rates are probably a little low on Coirnav, but the person complaining is also obviously not very good and should be asking for advise before complaining.
  17. Rile Lorekeeper

It had been over a decade since I played, so I didn't entirely know what I was signing up for or I likely would have made a different decision

I won't play on Agnarr because its perma locked at PoP, so that isn't an option.

Phinigel is way too far along in their progression for it to interest me, I wanted to have as fresh a start as possible so that was removed as an option

Its obvious they rely on a lot of revenue from experience potions, which is fine.. but they need to lower the price or increase the charges, because $10 for 4 hours of XP boost that can literally be wiped out if you have a wipe and lose 30 minutes (or more) on a corpse recovery

I've been lurking in these forums since i started almost a month ago, and I notice that the people who tend to favor the "hard core" aspects of the game are the people in the powerful guilds that have countless hours a day to spend on the game, and like having that huge advantage over everyone. It also probably allows a lot of the RMT people who don't actually play EQ for fun but play it like its a business to benefit, because they can powerlevel, sell exclusive loot and sell accounts

If you polled the entire playerbase and had 100% response rate, i can't imagine more than 10% of the total population being OK with the XP rate the way it is, or think that it adds fun to the game. The only people who would actually enjoy the XP being this way are people who buy/sell accounts, sell powerleveling, or someone who has a life situation that allows them to play the game nonstop all day, every day

I think your perspectives on things come across as a Power Gamer who is probably dominating top end content, and i would venture to guess even profiting from it in some way. Not that its wrong to do that, but you're style of play is a very small minority of the player base as a whole and the entire server shouldn't be catered to your style of play, just as it shouldn't be catered purely to our style of play either.

Of course the XP wouldn't bother someone who has the ability to powerlevle a new character with ease... I was in Temple of Veeshan a few nights ago and there was literally someone multiboxing an entire raid of like 20+ people on the Live section of the raid, and they proceeded to train our small raid force with a monk over and over again to prevent us from getting into any type of rthym. If this is supposed to be a nostalgia server, that was not a part of the original everquest experience.. sure you had trainers, etc, but it wasn't as toxic ive seen it get on this server. There are small groups being PLed that will literally monopolize like 4 or 5 picks at a time.. and if they see you in a group and you're in the way, you'll see a monk or SK come into your camp with 50 things on them.. feign death and wipe my group. So we lose the camp, we lose the experience (was rare to have a cleric available with 96 rez), and i would lose a lot of time on my $10.00 experience potion. All so that someone who already has like 10 accounts at lvl 60 in a top end raiding guild can power level another account to level 60 either to use or sell. Thats like having Pablo Escobar in charge of a server. Its not sustainable, something will give and players will quit.

The casual players matter to, not just the top power gamers. I've run into a lot of awesome people that are fun to group and play with, but ive also run into a ton of total s***heads that go out of their way to ruin your time, ruin your groups, etc.. just so they can have a few more spawns to drag back to their PL group. Its like the Xbox generation has started playing Everquest.. because i dont ever remember there being this many toxic people in the old everquest that troll, train, and do everything they can to ruin your limited time you have online to play. Then rub it in your face after they do it and laugh at you, while continuing to pull entire zones for their own personal benefit, jumping from pick to pick... Not sure how this could be tolerated, because its incredibly frustrating for most of the players who don't have 6 box accounts, or countless hours to play this game every day.

At the end of the day, the only people that this slow XP rate benefit are the powerlevelers that monopolize entire zones/picks, quickly leveling new characters. If you don't sell accounts or powerleveling, i just don't see any logical reason why you could be against either increasing the default experience rate, or significantly reducing the cost of potions

Its also like they don't understand that the RMT player's customer base are the people that they're training, trolling and generally just being incredibly rude/malicious towards. If they keep it up, they won't have a customer base to sell to anymore. If they don't care about that, then they're basically the equivalent of a virus.
  18. Rile Lorekeeper

You realize this is a GAME, right?

It is not a business, it doesn't need to be approached like some super efficient factory or something. If thats how you play, thats fine.... but to put that expectation on others is unrealistic, and comes across as elitist.

If i pop my XP potion, then i lose a warrior/healer in my group.. do you disband the rest of the group, origin (to qeynos for me), travel on foot thru Erudin to get to a nexus scion... port to the nexus, and then go LFG there until i find one? That can take over 30 minutes just to do that. Also, sometimes your group gets completely wiped out by some piece of s*** player thats PLing in a zone, so the corpse recovery piece of that can take a long time and waste away your experience potion

You sound like a power gamer that has lots of accounts available to teleport himself around... I don't have a pocket druid or wizard that can just port myself around on demand and maximize my XP potions like you do. When I see posts like yours its obvious you're one of the power gamers and just assume that everyone else should play the game exactly the way you do or else they should just screw off and stop playing the game.

Perhaps I don't want to sit in a corner AFK all night while I get powerleveled. Perhaps the reason I came back to this game was to PLAY IT, and enjoy it. This is not a race to get as many level 60's as you can, i want to actually experience the game and getting PLed for 1 Krono while AFK is not playing the game

You don't sound like someone that is grounded in reality, when you think its "logical" for someone to pay money to have someone play the game for them. Seriously read your post again out loud, and realize how ridiculous you sound.
  19. Rile Lorekeeper

lol screw you

I'm not very good because I don't want to get powerleveled while AFK? Just listen to yourself dude... I'd be careful labeling others as stupid when your comments are pretty jaw dropping themselves

Also, did you not read that I've been back for TWENTY DAYS, after not having palyed for over 10 years? I don't have infinite resources, a powerful guild and all the tricks in the book at my disposal to operate at a business like efficiency

Thats how YOU "play" the game, not how I play it
  20. a_librarian Augur

I noticed this same thing while leveling up. Whenever I was chewing up red/yellow mobs the pace felt pretty good. When the camp started to become mostly blue and even cons, it started to drag a lot. This became more of an issue in the 50s where only a few locations had plenty of dark blue mobs (it is less of an issue now with Velks and Greigs) and most of the yellow/red cons were mobs intended for raids and not viable targets for xp.

I think it would help solo and small group xp significantly if they increased the relative xp of blue con mobs. A problem with that is that AE groups are all built to kill huge quantities of level 55 (the max level an enchanter can PBAE stun) and under mobs, so a global increase would end up making by far the fastest way to level even faster. I don't really care if that did happen, but it's just how things work in the level 60 era and probably one reason the devs will not increase blue con xp.