Coirnav: Please reconsider the xp rate during Velious

Discussion in 'Time Locked Progression Servers' started by a_librarian, Sep 1, 2018.

1. a_librarian Augur

At this stage of progression, I don't think Coirnav's current xp rate is in the best interest of its players, guilds or Daybreak. The server is similar to Phinigel but I don't believe it can recreate that longer term success without retooling some basic things now. Lots of players have now experienced the TLP concept, and many have done so on Agnarr with a significantly faster rate. Players like myself chose Coirnav because we had fun on Agnarr but were not interested in the PoP locked end point.

From my own experience, it is level 1-10 and 47-60 where people are giving up from frustration with feeling like they can't progress. The base server xp rate made more sense during the launch when the cap was 50 and the low level zones were so busy you could easily find groups under level 10. This isn't the case now for most starting areas, and players who don't have resources or knowledge to fast forward through the first 10 levels are instantly hit with a brutally uninteresting grind with very few other lowbies around to make the experience engaging.

In the late 40s there's a dramatic slowdown in the feeling of progress, and it makes fighting anything under even con feel like a huge waste of time. My experience with this during Kunark was feeling like all but two zones (Sebilis and Chardok) were useless to me for leveling past about 52. I enjoy hunting in odd places (the Permafrost bear pits was a fun but brutal one) solo or with small groups, and just couldn't make that work in a fun way with the xp rate on Coirnav.

Overall I just think there's a fair number of players who would like to set up shop on Coirnav, join guilds aand raid but can't spend the time required to catch up.

I think there's many ways to address this, just a few thoughts:

1) Overall increase the base xp rate of the server. My preference would be to match Agnarr or slightly higher.
    2) Add a catch up incentive boost during each new expansion era during the level 60 expansions.
    3) reintroduce good xp rewards from lowbie quest turn ins (xp from gnoll teeth used to be a big part of Qeynos' appeal)
    4) Greatly increase the group bonus per player for groups below level 10, give the established players incentive to reach out to the new.
    5) Enable the lesson xp boost feature on TLPs (not very familiar with this)
    6) Enable hotzones on the TLPs
    7) Significantly increase unloved zones ZEM

This got way longer than I had intended, but I just wanted to share my experience on this topic and invite others to do the same.
    FIsh Lips, andross77, Brontus and 3 others like this.
  2. Celatus Augur

/sigh exp is fine and me and my friends are having a blast on coirnav. Sorry you can't hang
  3. malaki Augur

You only have to wait for GoD for better xp!
  4. Aziuno Augur

It sounds like you have a history of choosing servers without reading or thinking about their rule set.
    AcemoneyFV and Nolrog like this.
  5. Kronotowin Elder

Daybreak doesn't care. Look at all the people selling loot rights in Kael obviously RMT'ing. All they care about is profit, why else would they create servers that cater(DPS race camps) to RMT players?
  6. a_librarian Augur

Not sure where you read that I wasn't enjoying the server. I played at the launch and got to 47 before burning out, then came back mid way in Kunark and just finished leveling to 60.

This probably sounded clever in your head. There's no perfect server, you tolerate the things you don't like on whatever server is the closest fit. Nobody on Coirnav except people selling powerleveling are enjoying the current xp rate.

That's why I don't expect them to change the xp rate. I'd expect their next TLP to have a rate similar to Agnarr to try and draw back in people that have burnt out for another go. I just made this post because I think xp rate is a lame way to try and make servers distinct.
    andross77 likes this.
  7. Zinkeh Augur

The OP has a pretty reasonable argument.
    I came to Coirnav 3 or so weeks ago knowing full well about the slower exp rate but came to get a fresh start on a server that doesn't lock at Pop.

That said......I agree with the OP's post for a couple reasons.

1. The server is a ghost town. Folks have said it has a good healthy population but having played on phinny and agnarr quite a bit I can say just from observation and how poor the EC tunnel trade variety is there are a lot less people actively playing here. Max level only logging on for raids maybe...but daily players seem very very scarce. During weekdays it's almost impossible to find a group in the sub 50's. It's difficult to even find jewelry or potions half the time. When you do /who all of a popular class and it doesn't even hit the "too many players to list" ........there aren't many players.

2. I've seen way, way more people getting PL'd on Coirnav than I ever did on Phinny or Agnarr. These people take over an entire dungeon and do not care a whit for the groups that they roll over repeatedly while doing so. The slow exp rate has created an entire cottage industry of folks selling PL's for krono and from what I've heard RMT as well.

Something really does need to be done here. This is my last hurrah in Everquest and I know a pretty good portion of the folks I've talked to are in the same boat. Many have done the p99 - Phinny - Agnarr path after having played on live back in the day; Many have flat out said this is it for them. Another TLP coming out would only further murder the population of the existing TLP's out there.

Something needs to be done here to bring in more players from other servers wanting to check out an unlocked server in it's early stages...and slow exp coupled with power leveling folks chasing everyone else out of a pick isn't it. It's also not having most of the stuff for sale being sold by RMT krono tunnel fat cats sitting on hundreds of krono either....but thats a different post, lol.
    andross77 likes this.
  8. Aziuno Augur

I am not aware of any time that Daybreak has changed the template for a TLP server, after it's creation.

I understand you guys are upset that your population is not active, and that the numbers of active players are dwindling. I do not think the issue is the slower experience.

You knew that all the casuals were enjoying Agnaar Prison never to go past LDON. (Some people still rolled Agnaar thinking it would go past? Not sure why they thought that...)

When you guys joined the server, you knew it was a clone with nothing new that Phinny did not offer. You also knew that Phinny was still thriving where majority of the player base would still keep doing their thing to ride that wave.

Majority of the features you want are on TLP's, they are just locked behind certain eras
    (Exp Boost, and Lesson = GoD)
    (Live EXP rates = TSS)
    Hotzones were active in TSS as well. (Maybe it was Ro?)
    There are plenty of 'incentive' boosts, we are in one now.. holiday bonus exp.
    ZEM's were already revamped a bit back, and as far as I know they are working as the Dev's intend.
    Quest exp was being abused, and people were leveling from 1 to 50 with common quests at launch, don't expect that to ever come back. As far as I know quest exp is even nerfed on live.
    Task EXP is not nerfed, tasks get introduced in DoN, and then in TSS there is lowbie tasks that yield exp.

The main issue you have on your server is it has nothing new for the players. People who gave up on Phinny re-rolled there (If they already quit once, what makes you think they will stay around?), and people who missed Phinny and didn't want to join phinny in progress are there as well (Probably your remaining player base).

The players who already lived Phinny, are bored of that content I am sure, they hit their max levels and then just raid. That is the lifestyle of the gamer when they are bored.

The issue is your server should have never been born. It is a lazy Copy/Paste, when it should have been an event server, or some unique rule set to breath life into TLP's, not just repeat the last 2 years of Classic > Luclin
    Ryak and Boze like this.
  9. HoodenShuklak Augur

Vote with your wallets.
  10. snailish Augur

Slow XP rate should never be viewed as a sell feature.

The game has different /con of mobs so anyone wanting to level slow can choose that path themselves.

What has never been offered is a progress-gated progression, (i.e., you can only get to level 10 the first week the server is live) which would be the only way to keep a population in a range for any length of time as some will always push fast to the cap.

Coirnav had slow XP as part of the "sell", launched with Agnarr still not at the lock and Phinny, Rage & Lock not super-far in progression, plus it was do 1-50 in classic again, with no true carrot rule tweak to pull a niche audience in (free trade loot, PvP, Velious start or whatever else one thinks might work). All of these things work(ed) against Coirnav having a large(r) population.

Coirnav presently is viable. OP has to decide if faster base XP or doing the oldest content is most important, with the option of being on the XP potion juice, matters. Catch up to cap and you have peers.

While a massive boost to any progression server XP rate beyond the traditional GoD, ____, and TSS boosts would be welcome it may be foolish to wait for that to happen in the meantime.
  11. monkypowah Elder

Yep, been saying it for months. Lazy is exactly the word that comes to my mind also. When you also factor in the toxic environment, i see no reason to play on there whatsoever. I’m starting to think it might have been intentional knowing that 20th anniversary server will actually be something different. We can hope. In the meantime, phinny is rocking it. TBS is a fun expack other than laghell katta
  12. Lankie Augur

The reason no server will succeed is due to Phinigel. It has all of your players there. New servers aren't attracting new players, they are the same old players scared of anything that isn't tank and spank.

I need to get a DT cured, or run away from AE rampage? Nope, I'm rerolling on classic server!!

Phinigel is the current TLP server, the rest may aswell be shut down.
  13. a_librarian Augur

I played Agnarr because I had a friend tell me about it, and I hadn't played EQ in a decade and they had just shut down my other favorite ancient MMO (Asheron's Call). I enjoyed playing there and then wanted to see a TLP starting on launch day so I picked up Coirnav when it opened.

Phinny never seemed like an option for me, I wanted the novelty of seeing content I'd never seen before as the server progressed. I get that players on Phinny have done that already but until I've done it myself then I'm just not interested in an advanced progression server.

I'm not upset about the server population, it's doing fine and will continue to until Daybreak shoves out another TLP. I saw almost four full general chat channels this weekend because of the bonus. I don't care if the server fades away because that's an inevitability as we burn out on the game and go onto something new.

I don't expect them to change the rate, it's probably locked in as a business decision at this point. The other features (hotzones, lesson) could easily exist as QoL things like click from bags does now. And for the ZEM re balance, I think their goal was to encourage players to xp outside of the main path. That goal really hasn't been met at all from what I've seen.
  14. Beggly Augur

Of all of your suggestions, I like adding hotzones and increasing the exp in low level zones the most. I think one would be fairly easy, and the other harder, but not egregiously so.
  15. Beggly Augur

Operative term is "me and my friends". You have to reach out of your group in order to bring people into it. If you exclusively play with the same group of people, sure, the exp progression isn't a problem for you. But for those of us who must solo for some reason or another, or those new to the server, it's a definite problem.
  16. Beggly Augur

I think I agree with this. I enjoy my time on Coirnav, but it's not the best EQ experience I have had. I recently returned to Fippy when they unlocked DoN, and I am enjoying that, especially the lowby armor quests. We need a server that is truly fresh for the next round of TLP servers. I'm not sure what that will be, but I can certainly hope somebody comes up with a concept.

Server population is one of the most obvious problems with EQ in the modern world. Server pops that would have forced server mergers in the past are thought to be robust today. Trying to find a group is hard for many, including myself, because of the problems I have with playing for long periods. I can't raid effectively, and I don't have the stamina to grind. So, what am I to do? Sigh.

In reality, many videos on youtube decrying the "death of EQ" don't help the problem. One recent one did a rather telling post mortem that I agreed with, concluding that even though EQ is not the game it was, it's still one of the best and most unique and should be getting more love from people than it does.

One problem is flash. EQ is not Flashy like WoW or some of the other MORPGs. It's rather frumpy, in fact. I love the graphics of some of the other games, but in play, they are way too easy. They have little substance for all the eye candy. This includes, most emphatically, WoW. Either that or they are First Person Shooters, which bore me to tears. So, gosh, again, what is a person to do?

I stick with EQ. I miss City of Heroes. But I stick with EQ because that is the only option for me at this time. Maybe of one of the CoH revival games ever gets up and running, I'll leave EQ. But for right now, it's the only game in town worth playing in my opinion.
    andross77 likes this.
  17. Beggly Augur

That is an intriguing idea, but with the following stipulation: No one can advance past L10 until everyone has progressed that far. The same for each level thereafter. Now that would be a kick, but of course highly impossible. Another option would have to be listed, if a characters is inactive for over a week, they would be removed from consideration. Won't ever happen, of course.
  18. snailish Augur

The other way that has been suggested from time to time is to break from tradition (heresy) and reset the level caps of the early expacs. Makes it all harder (ish) and redefines what is going to be popular/doable in era for different playstyles.

For example: Original era becomes level 30 cap. Kunark 40, Velious 50, Luclin 55, PoP(LoY & LDoN) 60 and then you have to decide how committed to the idea you are... GoD level 62?...
  19. Machentoo Augur

So a player logs in once a week, kills one mob, and stops server progression forever. Makes sense.

There is no combination of rules that would make this actually work without abuse.
  20. Hinastrom Elder

(Little late for this reply but w/e)

In before all the people not playing on coirnav and the hardcore players who capped in under a week saying this is a bad idea.

The vast majority want faster exp.

And me personally? I would love to solo/duo to level, but at this rate, you just can't. Its not realistic.

Several times during double exp i've been plopped into groups with various problems, deadweight/afk players, group leader taking us to too high level mobs, etc etc etc.

I'm not savvy enough with cheat programs to run my own group...and I tried 3 boxing a while back on truebox...it did not work out well for me. I think I could run a duo, but this exp rate would make it feel pretty rediculously slow.

In before "learn to use the cheat programs, learn to make friends, etc etc" nope. I'd rather play my way, as would many more like me.
    andross77 likes this.