Coirnav: Please reconsider the xp rate during Velious

Discussion in 'Time Locked Progression Servers' started by a_librarian, Sep 1, 2018.

1. Biohazerd Lorekeeper

One thing I tried to do while leveling on Coirnav is to stay out of zones that I played to death. I tried to level in new zones and discovered it was a lot of fun playing in zones like tower of frozen shadow. I had never been to that zone before as I was always level 60 by the time Velious came out.

It made the game interesting enough to ignore the grind.
  2. FIsh Lips Augur

I level in the zones that give the best possible experience, or I will end up quitting the game from boredom. If I didn't have to spend so much time focusing on hitting certain milestones to retain a viable character before the next expac, I might stop to smell the roses. But that isn't the case, everything is "balanced" around maximizing loot farmed per expac, and ensuring that in 12 weeks you get all the levels/AAs you can get. If you do not, no guild worth anything is going to pick you up. Nobody wants a carry.

So, every TLP, I am forced to play in whatever zone gives the most xp/hour played, drops gear that most likely will yield if not BiS the best I can get with too-big guilds and too-low drop rates.

That's the Coirnav experience (TM). It's dumb and they should fix it. The game could be fun, if they wanted it to be.
  3. Biohazerd Lorekeeper

I made it to level 47 in about a day played. I hardly consider that slow.

I know it supposedly slows down, but I have played this game a long time and know how to play. Nobody is carrying me believe that.
  4. Accipiter Old Timer

One of the best zones ever created. The spin stun on some of the named is way over the top but aside from that it's awesome.
    Biohazerd likes this.
  5. Biohazerd Lorekeeper

Agreed, its now one of my favorite zones. The exp was great too.
  6. HoodenShuklak Augur

I would try that... what other zones did you do?
  7. oldkracow 9999 Is the Krono Account Limit

Doesn't sound like a lot of fun playing a video game like that but to each his own I guess some people enjoy that type of grind.
  8. FIsh Lips Augur

I made it to 60 in about 4 days /played, and I considered it excruciatingly slow. During the past 2 weeks of xp bonus, how slow the xp rate is was even more evident. Even at 150%, I do not think I will ever max AAs on all of my boxes. It simply requires too much time. If I can't do that I usually wonder why I bother at all.
  9. urbanbo70 Elder

If they did this, all the other TLP's would have to be adjusted accordingly. It’s the equivalent of buying a sucker for one five year old but not the other. Do you want to deal with the fallout of that?
  10. FIsh Lips Augur

1) I don't care.
    2) Phinigel xp is currently much faster than Agnarr or Coirnav until a certain level. Agnarr is faster XP than Coirnav until we hit GoD I believe, at which point Coirnav will be slightly better. Yes, I've measured this.

So the situation you describe already exists. The reason the complaints are not sounding like jealousy is that we do not choose servers based upon their XP rate. We choose them based upon the expansion they are on, how far behind we are, and where our acquaintances are. I could easily, and for free, play on Live. The XP is unbelievable until about 50, and continues to put TLPs to shame well beyond that. Except that Live is 110 levels ahead, and that doesn't even include spells and especially gear, the latter of which is night and day and unobtainable without a raid that will never form.

Decisions about server XP can be made objectively and in isolation of concern for other servers. Someone on Phinny is not going to leap out to Coirnav because we quadrupled our XP (which is about the right number I think). They'd be set back literal years in progression, they'll do that if they are unhappy with their guild or their guild explodes, but otherwise playing these eras over again probably makes them nauseous.
  11. That0neguy Augur

Is probably more accurate.
  12. NickDanger Elder

4 days played is 96 hours. You averaged about an hour and a half a level. That doesn't seem terribly slow to me. I realize the time wasn't uniformly distributed - early levels go by faster than later levels.
  13. Biohazerd Lorekeeper

Zones I played in this time around that I had never been to were Paludal Caverns around level 15. I also did some grouping in Netherbian Lair and Marus Seru. Can't really say those zones were fun or memorable, but once I hit ToFS I thought that was fun. Basically did 25 to 35 there. Then did some Grimling forest/City of Mist. Found a bandit camp in Grimling Forest that spawns really quickly. Was quite boring but it was decent exp. Then I did Velks entrance to 47.

After I hit 50 I will probably check out either Dragon Necropolis or Acrylia Caverns. Haven't played much in either of those zones.
  14. a_librarian Augur

Dragon Necropolis is a very unfriendly dungeon. The traps there are seriously deadly. The phase spiders are probably not bad for a necro or enchanter to solo. The chetari tunnels below are a death trap solo
    Biohazerd likes this.
  15. Biohazerd Lorekeeper

I always form groups on TLPs, the solo exp rate is terrible in my experience. I will probably try AC out then based on what you're saying though.
  16. a_librarian Augur

It is a really memorable dungeon and has a lot of what makes EQ dungeons feel unique. It is fairly non linear with seriously dangerous traps, lots of roaming mobs to surprise you, a faction war, many confusing quests, snakes that poison and blind you, ghost dragons and appears like there are connections to much later expansion content (The Breeding Grounds?).

Highly recommend checking it out at 60 with a few friends. For leveling with a pick up group, I personally haven't found it to be viable, but it's definitely possible
  17. Zinkeh Augur

Indeed. I started on Coirnav back during the week of exp in July. With the double exp and an exp pot it seemed like the exp would be reasonable even though I had been forewarned it was terrible on that server. The exp boost ends and it was beyond tedious to level at that point. I stopped at 47. It simply is not fun to level a char for the umpteenth time since '99 and have to do it with ridiculously slow exp. To grind for HOURS in in a group with no haste, CC or at times reasonable healing to see your exp bar move a tiny little tick is just dumb.

I can't even imagine having to do AA's on that server.
  18. NoWay Augur

19. Biohazerd Lorekeeper

4 days played to 60 is too much for you? Seems very quick to me.

If you're level 47 get some decent buffs in the nexus (they don't tick down there) and then get a group together or a group invite and head out.

I am not saying the exp shouldn't be faster, it would be great if it was, but its not that bad if you apply some initiative and planning. Join a guild and make some friends.

It takes me about 10 minutes to log on and put together a group and I am an anti-social person.
  20. Rile Lorekeeper

I joined the server 20 days ago after not having played Everquest in over 10 years. I started on Coirnav specifically because I wanted to do a TLp and experience all the content again from as early a start in the progression as possible and Corinav had just started the Luclin expansion. I was very attracted to the idea of the Agnarr server with the experience boost, but I didn’t like that it was perma locked at planes of power. I didn’t want to do Phinigel because of how far along in the progression they are, so I chose Coirnav and am having some second thoughts on my decision

I’m a level 52 bard now and I’ve found the experience at times has been ok if I had experience potions, but now it’s moving so painfully slow that I’m starting to regret my choice because I know that I’ll never build an alternate character with this crazy slow experience. I refuse to pay Chinese people to power level me and I have no interest in multi boxing. In my experience the multi boxers and powerlevlers are ruining the experience for casual players. I’ve had PL groups intentionally train our camps just to wipe us out and take our spawns.. in a mediocre group where you don’t have a 96 Rez available, they could wipe out over an hour of your experience doing that with ease. Im not sure why DBG would allow that type of toxic play to go on because it will ultimately drive players away. Seems they cater to RMT players and guilds

I also find the cost of the experience potions to be offensive. $10 for a 50% Xp potion that has a single charge and lasts only 4 hours? Wtf? Most games will allow you a whole day of experience boost, or a set number of days and often times will have multiple charges. 4 hours is a joke for 1 charge.. I’ve spent money on them after getting a great group only to have the tank and healer leave like 30 minutes later and I’m stuck LFG for over an hour while my $10 potion ticks away. It’s a straight up joke.

I won’t be buying anymore Xp pots, I won’t award such greedy, predatory practices. I pay my monthly subscription fee, but I won’t be making any alternate characters because the experience is so ridiculously slow it’s not funny unless you pay out the for experience pots

My leveling up experience went like this:

Lvl 1 - 4 was by far the most miserable starting progression I’ve ever experienced in any MMO, and I’ve been gaming since the Atari first game out. It took about 3 or so hours to get to level 4 as a fresh new character in some of the most painful leveling ever. The DBG team would be brain dead if they don’t fix those first 5 to 10 levels for new players. Just awful

At level 5 someone came along and gave me buffs as well as some starting equipment that really helped out a lot.

Lvl 5-15 or so I did in Crushbone. I was fortunate to be able to get a group each time I went on and got decent xp. I also started to make some friends in this level range who became regular groupies as I leveled.

15-25 or 30 I did in unrest. This was also fairly quick experience because I got really lucky getting groups where people had OOG lvl 60s budding and aiding us. Without a group tho I was dead in the water as a bard. Bards do no damage and are basically as squishy as a caster but we don’t get max hit quite as much because of our AC

30-40 I went and tried ToFS for the first time. I had a lot of fun in this zone and again got lucky getting some solid groups. This was the fastest experience I would say that I got throughout my entire leveling process, but that was due to great groups and spending like $40 on experience potions (which is ****ing absurd and I feel ashamed feeding into this greedy business mode by DBG)

40 - 52 I did primarily in Velks frenzy groups early on and mixed in some grimling forest as well. I’ve enjoyed these groups and the grind, but even with consuming xp potions it was pretty slow. I’m also in a unique situation where I can play for a 6 hour session, but have a baby coming soon so that won’t be possible soon and is one of my regrets coming to Coirnav

All of my leveling I did with PUB groups being brand new to server