Coirnav: Please reconsider the xp rate during Velious

Discussion in 'Time Locked Progression Servers' started by a_librarian, Sep 1, 2018.

1. Aegir Augur

It's a long time gone now and I don't have any logs of my personal AA progression from that time but here's my memory. After first nights release grind in Griegs I ended up loggin with 50+ AA's with 25% pot running. That was like 7hours with some breaks and us not having the best grind spots etc. It was fairly contested. Avoiding the first Race Rush for Emp Keys I spend the next days in Ssra temple grinding for key, which is less exp than Griegs.

But I can promise you that all in our guild had most of their Vital AA's gained after a week and thats including casual players. If you are 100% focus on Shard Camps + Emp Key, you may experience AA coming in slower, but if you Grind the good exp spots, you will earn AAs and will Cap and bank up max AA many weeks before you even start thinking about Planes of Power.

Another good hint here if you look through the servers different Luclin periods in this Forum. You don't see many threads with "AA exp is too slow" "Can we get faster AA exp?" People were more than satisfied with the rate.
    Dahaman and Risiko like this.
  2. Machentoo Augur

While this was true on Phinny (I was one of those more casual players during Luclin/PoP) keep in mind that they have since nerfed raid xp significantly, which was a huge portion of the aaxp gain for more casual players who raided--we'd often get 4-6 aa on a raid night. I rarely xp'd outside raids, and still came pretty close to maxing out by the end of PoP. I don't think that would be the case any more.
  3. a_librarian Augur

When did that happen? I remember they pushed a change to massively reduce xp in raid instances but somehow the patch was botched and the change was rolled back. Are you talking about a different change?
    Kahna likes this.
  4. Hinastrom Elder

Has anyone successfully done the mid level to 60 grind in only pick up groups recently? I'd love to hear about your experiences, and how you did it. My 40+ experience has been largely sitting lfg for hours, and when I do get a group, its either a poorly constructed and or bad group.

And weather the group is good or bad, there is a 50% chance of it breaking up in the first hour, than I get to repeat the process.

Outside of playing an enchanter, where you are 75% of the group, I don't get how people get this done in any sane amount of time.

Yes, I know I could attempt to put my own groups together. Not only am I not the leader type, usually when I look at the LFG window for my lv range, I only very rarely see the makings of a new group.

I'd love to raid! I swear im a good raider, who shows up alot and puts the effort in. Lookin like i'll never get there though.

Am I just doomed to box (I loathe boxing more than 2 total on truebox) or pay for a power level?
  5. Kahna Augur

I did 40-60 recently, and I am working on another character who is mid 20's right now. It was on a ranger. I got groups quickly, mostly in Velks. I had little problems finding or keeping groups, and I progressed at a decent pace.
  6. HoodenShuklak Augur

The reality is, EQ is a niche, small game. Any way you slice it, it's also a time-intensive game. But when you combine that with a server that departed from the trend toward faster exp, then it puts Coirnav in a bad spot. I don't hate Coirnav... EQ is really the only game I play. But the server has an uphill battle. It's not fast, it's not friendly to casuals that also want to raid and play alts, and it's not really likely to ever gain or even maintain in popularity.

Someone asked about starting on Coirnav, and the best reason I can give them was... if you enjoy the grind then consider it. But if it were me, I'd probably start on Live and see what the 20th anniversary brings early next year.
  7. Kazz99 Elder

Expect to LFG for some time if you are just sitting LFG... I put groups together myself, usually had a fully operating group in 10 minutes or less heading to wherever we decided to XP. Point is, if you are proactive, you will have a much more positive experience, if you just toss up LFG, don't ask in General and Guild... yeah, expect the wait and the group quality to suck appropriately.
  8. Darkhain Elder

But we're talking about Coirnav (slowest xp server), and we don't have the number atm, so kinda pointless.
    Also don't forget, raid xp is now non existant, as well as quest xp.
  9. Risiko Augur

It would be nice if they upped the experience gain with the release of Luclin. It's not like it would hurt anything.
  10. Kazz99 Elder

XP is no slower there than it was on Phinny during this era, also after they made the change to expedition raid (the only change) it still did not make a huge diff in raid xp, I still received 6-9 AAs in an offnight anguish run during the TSS era (alts need gear!)
  11. FIsh Lips Augur

It would absolutely hurt the RMT market for PL and accounts, of which DBG realizes some indirect revenue via krono sales.

So, what I'm saying here, is that this isn't going to happen.
  12. Vypervenom New Member

1) No.
    2) No.
    3) No.
    4) No.
    5) No.
    6) No.
    7) No.

Just my opinion.
  13. a_librarian Augur

Status update: the xp rate is still bad. I am not looking forward to the end of the xp bonus as my will to level alts will vanish with it.
  14. That0neguy Augur

How is the xp bad? I can get 3% per kill at OC/IC in velks. Averaging about 4 AA's an hour there with no exp pot. There is no reason at all someone could not get all of their significant AA's in a few sessions doing this.
  15. That0neguy Augur

Explain how you come to this conclusion? There is plenty of cheap gear for sale on the bazaar for alts. There are 12 guilds (and probably more) that actively raid outside of the big 4. And 3 of those guilds only kill in their DZ once or twice a week. Seems like a perfect place for the casual player who wants to raid and doesn't need 1000% increase to exp so they can quickly cap and have nothing to do.
  16. FIsh Lips Augur

AA xp. Real xp at 58 is about .25% per kill in OC/IC, without pots and xp bonus. It is mind numbingly boring. A 4x bump wouldn't be too high, 12x would put it in line with your AA xp. Particularly in a game that has burnt us out on this playstyle after 20 years of mind-numbing grinds.

And there's plenty to do once you max a character on xp, both in game in the form of gear quest and alt quest, and out of game in the form of TV, other video games, paying attention to your family or job, etc.
  17. Raina Elder

I considered trying some EQ again, but after seeing how long it took to get to level 5 with an exp bonus, I was reminded why playing EQ was a bad idea.
  18. Machentoo Augur

Many years back they realized that too much RL was the cause of lost subscribers. They have tried to completely eliminate all RL involvement since that point. Even such RL activities as Fan Faire eventually had to go by the wayside lest people be tempted away from the avatar treadmill with annual face to face interactions. If you spend too much time in front of the TV or playing other video games, one day you might not come back.
    That0neguy likes this.
  19. Lion of God Elder

I strongly agree with the OP inthat the XP rate should be increased. . .

If the rate of xp on Corinav were substantially raised, there would be HUNDREDS of more people playing. Having never played EQ back in the day--and only playing now because I couldn't tolerate Blizzard anymore--the only reason I didn't quit playing on Corinav sub-20 was because a streamer gave me thousands of platinum to buy a set of gear. If that hadn't happened, I would've just quit EQ despite enjoying the game, because the grinding experience is such a HUGE time sink.

After 8 or so days of fairly hardcore grind sessions my character is almost level 50, and the thought of finishing the climb to 60 without the XP bonus is giving me nightmares. I'm struggling to find the motivation to login today knowing the XP bonus will be gone, to be honest. Mind you, I work from home and am able to play EQ all day if I want. I've got a few days played on my character already.

Moreover, I want my girlfriend to play Everquest with me. The problem is, shes not terribly into video games, and the reality of sitting for hours on end grinding at the pace of a snail is a total turnoff to her. She's already mentioned multiple times that the game looks like it could be fun, but there is no way she would sit for 10 hours+ killing 'spiders' in Velks.

I don't understand the logic of people who want the leveling experience to be LONG for EVERYBODY. Do you not have lives!?
  20. Dahaman Augur

The game has a lot of adventure on the path to max level. If XP is too fast, you out level so much of that adventure.

The best thing would be to move to a server that fits your needs rather than trying to bend the server to fit your needs. Phinny has a much faster XP rate. Live servers do as well. Coirnav's XP rate will increase over time (the first bump is next summer).

You can also set primary goals other than XP and let the levels come as you complete those goals. Examples: Have you started into the Coldain Shawl quests? the Kunark Archaeologist quests? started your epic? started working on trade skills?