Buffed Luclin NPCs on Progression servers

Discussion in 'Time Locked Progression Servers' started by Prathun, Apr 1, 2016.

1. Lifetap Augur

2. Ducreux Augur

Which expansion will I get to finally hit raid mobs for full damage?
    Seraphim and PathToEternity like this.
  3. Tieyla Elder

When does TL usually quit? The expansion after that.

;)
  4. Finley Augur

What, you don't love being a powerful assassin in your 6 man group killing frogs then going to wet noodle when its time raid?
  5. GendoPonies New Member

Ok April Fool's day is over, you can tell us this was all just a trick....right dev? ... dev?

Nooooooooo
    Rhiyannon likes this.
  6. Zhuge Liang New Member

Yes seems like it should maybe be tested before everyone assumes it is badly tuned or too much.

With Velious DW posted vids of them fighting stuff for hours, and atleast tried the content before giving feedback, and it looks like the devs listened, because the crazy regen was reduced, and they are now looking at alternative ways of buffing bosses.

So give the devs a little credit atleast, as they are watching, listening, and doing what they can, while clearly not having the resources or manpower they used to.

Some buffing is good, it is not fun to drop raid mobs in seconds because many more people is min/maxing and using BiS items now, and actually know the game much more after so many years, but buffing things in ways that just requires increased numbers wasn't fun either.
  7. Bewts Augur

Like the Ragefire motm for Velious went well...
  8. PathToEternity pathtoeternity.pro

How about - measure twice, cut once? It's frustrating because we're having to beta test all of this in a live environment, when we have a limited amount of time to clear the content in-era. It might be different if EQ was patched weekly, but it's patched monthly so we're looking at ~1/3 of the expansion on Phinny.

I don't think anyone was surprised to hear that Velious got MotM buffs. But there's a reason most people are responding to Luclin MotM buffs with "Wait, what?" My only assumption for those who have a different reaction is that they haven't actually raided Luclin in-era before (maybe they raided VT with PoP gear?) and seem to think it's basically like raiding VP or killing Dain.
    Zhuge Liang likes this.
  9. Rhiyannon Augur

after all these servers... you'd think they'd have it down now. my hope is someone will pop in and say it's april fools.
    Friday likes this.
  10. SqueeshSqueesh Augur

Please remember that Phinnigel will be the first TLP server to experience these changes live. The server will stay in the Luclin era for 12 weeks or 84 days. I don't think it's wise to use the server as guinea pigs like you did with Classic. If the Luclin raid mobs are overtuned for 2 weeks to a month, that's a big part of the expansion that we won't get to experience.
    Rhiyannon and Finley like this.
  11. Lardon Journeyman

On Ragefire the Velious boss buff is an absolute disaster, most of NTOV mobs are 45 minute fights (i'm talking about the ones we can accualt kill with 80 people raids).

We are still waiting for a patch to nerf MoTM on some Velious mobs on Ragefire btw.

DBG please test your MoTM buff better on Luclin mobs then you did it in Velious. Don't just randomly buff mobs regen/hp or whatever....
  12. Nolrog Augur

Welcome to the EQ forums, where people complain about everything. There was a thread of complaints about the free 500 station cash, because people didn't want to have to click on it to get the reward. There was also a thread complaining that people actually had to log in to LoN to get the free cards each month, which was a horrible burden to actually have to do something to get something.
  13. McJumps TLP QoL Activist

PLEASE reconsider this as a development decision. As someone who played through in era content during Luclin, it was already quite a challenge and the power differential between in era Luclin and now is very very small when you compare players. Its not like the difference between a Classic Character in 1999 and a "Classic" Character in 2016.

Raid mobs in Luclin have INSANELY high AC and damage mitigation when compared to Velious. There really isn't a NEED for additional mitigation. The original developers BUILT IT INTO THE MOBS WHEN THEY CREATED THEM. So if the application of this buff is to prevent the mobs from spawning in additional /pickzones then that's fine, but if the purpose is to make them more difficult then I am not sure why you think you know better than the original designers of the game.
    Friday likes this.
  14. Progress Augur

These changes kill the small raid (2-3 group) options in Luclin. I remember on Vulak we would regularly form up small raids on off nights to kill Rumblecrush or Va'Dyn. Some of these fights don't even need to be buffed as they are pretty rough as is i.e. Khati Sha. Not to mention that there are some DT fights in Luclin (some of which cause adds to spawn) so buffing the bosses and not increasing the DT timer will cause some of these fights to be ridiculous.

I understand that you don't want big bot armies killing stuff on RF/LJ but this is not a problem on Phinigel. It may be the easier route to just do a blanket adjustment across all 3 servers but Phinigel should not be lumped in with the box servers. Yes, there are some guild on Phinigel with 150+ raiding members but nothing like on RF/LJ where many guilds can field a huge raid via boxing. These buffs will hurt the smaller non-boxing guilds on Phinigel the most.
  15. Tieyla Elder

6 months of years about buffed Luclin Inc.

What happened to that thread where someone said the devs told them no buffs after Velious but I said they would be buffed until we got to original instances?

Told you so?
  16. Goodnews Augur

First glance thought from someone not living in an addict bubble or otherwise able to commit a serious weekly allotment of time is you will be pruning down your player-base.
    Continually ramping up difficulty, not allowing instanced versions and keeping the same time frame for releasing the next expansion just removes this as 'current content' for people who see TLP servers as a way to re-engage EQ.
    I hope this plays out differently once we get there.
  17. Tarmor of Surefall Journeyman

One think that I think the developers may have overlooked or forgotten, was that a number of the Luclin encounters were tuned also to take into account various discipline/ability timers (which put effectively softcaps on encounter durations).

Increasing the HP/AC and mitigation on many of these has the very real potential to "break" the encounter (based on over all elapsed timing) in that a given guild raiding at classic Luclin strength will simply not have enough resources to complete them.

Think about a fight even in the Velious era like AoW. This fight (in it's original form) was effectively softcapped by the number of defensive warriors/weaponshield rangers that you had to do tank swaps across. How many def warriors can a "standard" raid force field to accommodate an elongated encounter? Especially since for each warrior you add, you are doing so at the cost of your dps personnel.

Similarly think about the Luclin fights which required a specific component of your raid force be Mana Burn wizards. If you effectively increase the encounter barrier that you had to mana burn through (through increased HP and mitigation), you may in fact be making it impossible to complete. (and no a degenerate force of mana burn wizards is not a viable raid force).

It's just something to consider and remember when doing these tuning excersices.
  18. Zhuge Liang New Member

I understand the frustration, and i didn't even think about the monthly patch schedule in relation to the fast unlock time of expansions. :(
  19. Tieyla Elder

I for one look forward to the solid beta testing out friends in Shadow Asylum will do. Should be less cries for nerfs than when Darkwind did Velious.
  20. Weverley Augur

Yeah it's gonna be interesting to see how well Asylum do with those luclin buff mobs.Might have to wait a bit longer before seeing the first few yellow messages.