Being hopeful but, Agnarr could use some fresh blood.

Discussion in 'Time Locked Progression Servers' started by Berkwin, Nov 20, 2019.

1. Berkwin Elder

Free Books is free books, heck they don't even charge for the kindle app regardless of what you might think, you don't ever need to pay for a book if your an avid reader if you don't want too. no people playing on a server means no money being spent in the store end of story.
  2. Machen New Member

Sure, if you don't care what you are reading. Most of what Amazon gives away for free is trash not worth reading. Doesn't take much more than a glance at the first 10-20 books you linked to see that. I read >100 books a year and would much rather spend time reading something worth paying for than the free stuff Amazon gives away.

On the other hand, if free books is your thing, there are plenty of good free books available elsewhere on the internet written >100 years ago so that copyright no longer applies.

Also I'm well aware they don't charge for the kindle app. I was working for Amazon when it was released. Not sure what that has to do with anything. They also take a big loss on their tablets, because they want to make money selling content.
  3. Berkwin Elder

Meh found this on Bloomberg, Relevant or irrelevant. I will probably catch flak for it, w/e its info. To be honest I wanted to know how well Daybreak was doing these days. this was from a simple google search. whether I get censored or not...

https://www.bloomberg.com/profile/company/0560488D:US
  4. Machen New Member

Don''t know why you'd get censored for posting publicly available information. But who knows...

Either way, Everquest is a pretty small portion of what DBG does. It's their most famous IP, and only listed 5th on their website.
  5. Berkwin Elder

Eh just kind of tired of a lot of things, it isn't the fact I want things for Agnarr because I am being greedy or anything, I find it sad that there is hardly anyone on it and no new people joining it, those on it have the characters all capped out. without that cycle of people playing it in abundance then it is like all the other dead servers with waisted characters... wasted items, wasted $$ spent because the Exodus to new servers is like, well stinky socks
  6. Machen New Member

I feel your pain. I was one of the last players on Fippy, and really didn't want them to open up a new TLP at that point. It's unfortunate, but it seems that repeating the TLP cycle starting afresh every year or two is more appealing to most players than continuing on an established server, whatever they might say to the contrary.
  7. Berkwin Elder

I really Enjoyed Fippy, it was very sad to bail out. but the flipping of TLPS is starting to hurt the game more then enthuse people to keep playing, Here's a question, will they again offer lifetime? or open the doors? in your opinion what benefits more to them. Offering lifetime subscriptions on a 20+ year old game. or having an influx of players that while limited can play?
  8. -wycca Augur

I think Agnarr is a ship that sailed unfortunately. It might be worth discussing things to improve a 2nd version of it though. If I had to think of a few things, it would include eventually releasing GoD - and syncing it with another new TLP such that people who wanted to transfer off after a lock of 3-6 months of the last expansion launch date would find themselves in the mid-late lvl 70 or 75 era on the other TLP. I think there's some merit in an Agnarr-like server, but in the end it should potentially offer a way out of the prison if people want to go. I think what people on Agnarr really wanted with the end lock was more akin to a server where they would never feel too far behind and could experience everything they wanted while catching up - with a PoP/LDoN cap it always felt manageable to work your way up at your own speed. Nobody was ever too far ahead/behind in such a server, and that sort of thing is enticing to people - friends, guildmates, rivals, the ubers, the casuals all were capped and would eventually be able to reach the same point if they wanted - albeit at their own pace. That's a pretty common human trait to desire that. That isnt' available on other TLP models.
  9. Berkwin Elder

Exactly, I do love the server, I just wish it had that attraction to keep and maintain a healthy population, even if it was a subscription only server. I was on Agnarr for the most part of yesterday, and their were only 3 Beastlords playing for most of it. it is a unique server. shame we cant get more ways to attract people to it.
  10. Kurage_of_Luclin Augur

Come to Xegony , lots of great guilds here and people always playing. The new expansion is Velious revamp so its all good for those who are nostalgic.
  11. Xeris Augur

Any TLP that's over a year old is going to have a 'population' problem. It's not even an Agnarr thing. If your expectation is to find a vibrant and large community with people of all level ranges, you're SOL unless you get in the TLP at the start.

My guild has recently picked up around 10 brand new people that are leveling , our raid roster includes about 15 people who started playing about 6 months ago... There ARE people here, it just isn't teeming with new folks all the time.

My main suggestion for people is: if you want pop lock, instead of stressing about how many people are on Agnarr, just start playing. You'll find friends and the community is friendly.
    HoodenShuklak and Graddox Twoaxe like this.
  12. Graddox Twoaxe Lorekeeper

The issue is that it's near impossible to level up a solo class on Agnarr without dumping cash into the bazaar and EQ marketplace, or boxing. Both of those things (boxing and buying potions) make money for Daybreak, so they're not likely to address.

The same group of people just keep rushing to the newest TLP servers. Agnarr could have done fine if it was in a situation where it offered something unique, but by releasing three new TLPs in the first 30 months of it's existence, it got it's player base ravaged. Just like two TLPs from now, Mangler will become a ghost town.

P99 and it's ilk work because they don't release competing servers annually.

The TLP issue is really a repeat of what SOE did when they released EQ2 - pirated their EQ player base and doubled their cost structure.
  13. NottaBard Journeyman

When counting the number of subs lost if Agnarr went FTP you need to count only the accounts that play exclusively on Agnarr. It's likely that most accounts currently playing on other servers would continue to pay for All Access for those. My perception was always that the percentage only playing on Agnarr was quite low. With Agnarr trending toward a borderline unplayable population, people won't be able to justify paying for a sub to only play there, so the All Access memberships exclusively for Agnarr will be lost anyway.

Agnarr actually seems like the perfect server for an alternate funding model. Silver memberships (as far as I know) have been discontinued, but they would make a lot of sense for Agnarr rather than All Access. Increase the minimum to $20 even. There is still money to be made on character slots, xp pots, mounts (if DBG would return the worthwhile ones), vanity sets, etc. They don't need to give the game away for free but letting the server bleed down to $0 revenue doesn't make any sense either.
    HoodenShuklak and Berkwin like this.
  14. Berkwin Elder

This sums up what I am trying to say or explain, I mean why not offer an exclusive Agnarr Expansion retro thing that includes all the Luclin and PoP Box goodies they had back in the day like the Two mounts they offered on the box back then. kind of like what they have done with the HoT expansion pack, Surely its worth a $20 buy in to play there and have the goodies that those expansions offered.

I have mentioned several ways of going about still making money for DBG but, in the end it is what it is bleed it down so it makes no revenue at all. seems rather silly and pointless but w/e
  15. Bewts Augur

The problem with a time lock is that there’s now clear progression post conquest to keep players playing.

If the plan was... okay after 6 months upon clearing Quarm, a second TLP will spin up for you to /server copy your character to that will ALSO be time locked at expansion X.

Outside of such an incentive, the population of TLP players that join each launch have no reason to stay and simply enter the next race on whatever TLP is spun up next.

It would be neat to have time locked TLP that had such vision, but I don’t think DBG has ever been accused of having good long term vision.
  16. Berkwin Elder

it probably would of gone a lot better that way to begin with and scale each TLP to a locked server that people could just /copy their characters to the next progression in the order of content. but that isn't what we have so the only locked server is just that "The Only One" Lol
  17. HoodenShuklak Augur

The folks that want deeper progression are a non starter on agnarr. The server should adapt and be a way to introduce people back to live EQ again. Get them back and hooked. To do that make it competitive in the current EQ landscape, and that means going f2p.

(Absolutely 0 people already subscribing to eq are rerolling on agnarr. The current players already know a new tlp is right around the corner, perpetually.)
  18. Berkwin Elder

I agree, let me sum up the state Agnarr is in currently, someone was asking in general, the Value of a pre nerf Fungus staff and an Idol with MP3 on it to which normally would be worth a few Krono at least. But their is no Krono on Agnarr not one for sale in the Bazaar. People just are not spending any type of real $$ on the server. I wish it wasn't the case, but as said above I think it would be a boom as a new player server, and switch out Vox to being a Live server. if it costs nothing to keep the server running Ultimately what does DBG have to lose letting Agnarr go to a F2P status? Zip.
  19. Accipiter Old Timer

Plus a lot of those books they give away aren't selling anyway.
  20. Berkwin Elder

What I am mostly curious about is that, Officially where does DBG stand on the issue? this post been on here a while, and they have not in anyway made a comment, maybe they wont. but even to acknowledge that it is even been hinted at in the Dev team on a solution, would be somewhat comforting..