Agnar Server

Discussion in 'Time Locked Progression Servers' started by Kolamer, Mar 16, 2017.

1. Lankie Augur

Why increase xp? Because it's a locked server, aka Casual server. People that play only a few hours a week could last 2 or 3 years in PoP before they get bored.
  2. uk6999 Augur

Doesn't sound appealing to me at all. I think they missed the boat on this one and it should of been done before Phinny was released. How many servers do you need doing PoP? Won't ragefire and lockjaw be in or near starting it soon? Phinny will spend 6months in it. Who wants to do classic again?

I guess the only things I see it goes for it is fast unlocks. Personally I think they should of went the other way first until the 3 existing TLP servers were way past PoP. IE. TLP that starts in TSS.

They might win some people over if they release BL's and Berserkers with it.

Would of been nice with some Poll options from DBG or customer feedback sessions on the forums, etc.
  3. Dilf Augur

False, extremely casual guilds are killing Quarm before the 2 month mark on Phinny. There is no way that people will do PoTime for 2 or 3 years.
    Sumonerr_Tunare likes this.
  4. Barudin_Phinigel Augur

Agreed, the content would have to be tuned to be much harder then currently is.
  5. Pikallo Augur

Not sure if sarcasm? From the sounds of it, Agnarr will be exactly the same as Phinigel except with 12 week fixed unlocks, faster exp and stay locked at PoP. So if the feeling you get from Phinigel is that of a "WoW clone", you are going to be pretty disappointed with a server that is the exact same thing, except with even faster/easier exp rates.
  6. Kattahn Elder

How? Without raiding, they can't progress to deeper planes. If they are raiding, then a casual guild can clear time in 6 weeks or less(we raid 2 nights a week and skipped the first week and just got our first kill)
  7. code-zero Augur

People like to level up alts, lots and lots of alts, with Krono it's a simple matter to create a new account and keep it up and running once you've run out of slots but still want to make more and more alts.

If you like that sort of thing, that is sitting at PoP for a long time it'll take quite a while before everyone is totally jaded on every alt that they want to level.
  8. Kahna Augur

Meh. I mean, I am going to play on it for a while to pick up some cheap krono, but long term it won't pull me away from Phinny. I will probably be gone before Kunark, depending on how quickly krono prices rise. What is the point of committing to something that is going to stagnate?
  9. Kattahn Elder

I just think that staying at pop a long time works on something like al'kabor where the exp rate is low, and there is no instancing, because it may take you 6-8 months to get through the expansion.
    Here it will take 6-8 weeks tops.
  10. taliefer Augur

tell me again why phinny needs to have slower exp rates when they obviously realize the mistake if they are giving a LOCKED server ragefire/lockjaw rates? the logic behind this escapes me.

on the whole, im not sure what to think. i'll mess around the first week or so, cause new servers are always fun. but meh.

the game DOES change drastically after PoP from a lore and graphic perspective. we go from gods and bright colors for the most part, to alot of browns and greys and aliens in GoD and omens. but the gameplay just gets so much better after PoP. until it eventually reaches massive ability bloat and it turns into playing whackamole with the ui anyway.

i think the server will fill a niche of giving existing customers a place to play in EQ before the game takes a 90 degree turn, but i dont know if it will attract any new players to that server alone.

id imagine there will be yet another new server of some kind once Agnarr reaches its locking point.
  11. Taredin New Member

when does this server come?
  12. Kattahn Elder

But in SoL we went to the moon to fight moonsnakes and little grey aliens!
  13. taliefer Augur

true, but the moon is actually tightly woven into the original EQ lore. and the color pallete still has places of bright colors and vividness. GoD and omens looks drab from a visual perspective, by design. outside of riftseekers anyway.

the whole interdimensional alien invasion aspect comes out of left field in GoD
  14. Kattahn Elder

Oh no i agree with you, I just wanted to say moonsnakes.
  15. Pantharo Journeyman

Im decently excited for a new server and one that stops at my favorite expansion, there probably aren't a TON of people in the same boat as me, and for that, im sorry for everyone else who wanted a separate set of rules, and maybe they will hear you and launch another, but for me.... suuuuper stoked!
    MBear likes this.
  16. Galleyan Augur

[IMG]
  17. AgentofChange Augur

GoD was wild yall are crazy. That expansion rules.
  18. Kanuvan Elder

roll another character
  19. Darchon_Xegony Augur

I see a lot of people talking about why Al'Kabor had the longevity it did. For those unfamiliar with the server, or those who never played there, here are just some of the reasons why content stayed alive for so long:.

• Used an old client. No cycle target, no scroll wheel to 3rd person, no mana in your inventory, awful water clip plane, no tradeskill window, no shared bank.
    • Had almost no 85/15 Gimping rule, meaning every raider in EPs had every raid, and every raider in Time had every raid (exceptions were HoHB, because HoH trials aren't required for progression, and Sol Ro's Tower)
    • Had alpha versions of PoAir/EarthB/Fire/Water. Eventually Fire, Water and EarthB got updated but for the longest time minis dropped only one loot, stuff like the Rallos Zek PoTime 2hand staff dropped off Fennin, Warlord Gintolaken memblurred every 3-4 seconds, Rathe Council tankables didn't fleck and drop their DB, etc.
    • There was no Song window so if you wanted AE Chorus songs or MGB HoTs you needed to make space in your 15 slot Buff window for them.
    • Celestial Regeneration was single target and 72min so MGB HoT from clerics had to be done with Ethereal elixir burning 2k mana from each cleric doing this.
    • BDA was a 2.5 hour recast, Purify soul was a 1.5 hour recast, Beastlords didn't get MGB until the end of the server's life. No LoY spells, in looking at you Blood of Nadox/Pure Blood.
    • Mod 2s (Shielding, Avoidance, etc.) did not exist.
    • Checklist flags did no exist, so the Grummus-Saryrn chain needed to be done in order 100%, missing Bertox means the Saryrn and Keeper of Sorrows Flag didn't stick for example.
    • The Raid window only allowed for 10 group leaders due to an early PoP bug fixed in LoY, so raids capped at 60, though you could have others outside of the raid. Also this raid window didn't have the lock option allowing raid leaders to manually move people between groups.
    • Original Pet and Monk Fist offensive tables, with none of the super fancy Melee AA DMG amplifiers.
    • Due to the Mac Client requirement until the unofficial PC Client Hack, the population of the server hovered around 500 people, with top raid guilds breaking 40-50 raiders very rarely.
    • PoTime P1/2 triggered simultaneously so getting close to the wall would aggro P2 Trash through the wall on you
    • PoTime P4/5 Gods dropped 2 loots only
    • Quarm had unbeatable versions of his AEs (look at the Lucy history data for his current AEs, one of them was an 18 second stun, unresistable 300 PBAE range, 35 second recast for example)... there is a reason this patch went in then a day or two later Afterlife and TR beat him.

These are just some of the reasons Al'Kabor had the long lifespan it did. I mention a lot of the cosmetic things because of how clunky they are, raids just took more time to do. Things like no 85/15 and no checklist flags in PoP meant you were spending a lot of time backflagging just to get 2-3 new members flagged. Things like no raid window lock tool meant every time you needed to shuffle people groups you needed those people attentive and responding to drop/join requests. Etc.

It was the most authentic PoP experience besides of course doing PoP back in 2002 when it originally launched. With all of its inconveniences, it was a lot of fun. It also made many of the raids a huge challenge even when you were able to pull a large turnout of 60-70 raiders for PoTime or Rathe Council.

The TLPs are just a different experience though. Stuff like the HoT Distillate potions+ Pure Blood/Blood of Nadox + Song Window completely trivialize certain AE encounters like PoTime Bertox, that absolutely obliterated our guild on Al'Kabor.

I like the idea behind the Agnarr server but it just won't have the longevity beyond about 6-12 months from PoP launch I suspect, unless they are able to dig up the Al'Kabor server code and manage to port it over to Agnarr. Though too many people would cry and moan about how clunky the client is without realizing that is part of what made content last a long time... stuff took a long time to do things.
    Suriinya, Taladir and Polekn like this.
  20. Kanuvan Elder

most people dont poopsock so the exp grind of phinnegil feels terrible, for someone with a balanced schedule that doesnt play eq1 10 hours a day the exp feels unplayable

geting on to play eq1 for 3 hours after work if that and it takes 1 hour to get a group, and 2 hours to gain half a bubble makes returning fans and new players not want to stick around, this will be the server of the alt