After a decade away, I'm returning to Norrath

Discussion in 'The Newbie Zone' started by Akon, Sep 20, 2014.

1. Akon Elder

Just popping in to *wave* hello. There seems to be a steady flow of us old-timers returning to EQ. It's easy to understand why. I've played a bunch of the more "modern" mmorpgs... talk about boredom.... jeez. EQ is the one game that keeps calling me back. It's where I started.... omg, the MEMORIES. I'm sure it's not the same as it was more than a decade ago and I hope I won't be disappointed, but I gotta go see!

I'll be starting over... right from the tutorial. I want to get the full experience of the game again and I don't want to hit the fast lane. THIS time I'll be more casual in my approach. (Been there, done that for fast track, all out, hard core, raid craziness.) Time to breathe a little and enjoy the ride!

I do enjoy RP, but I know we RPers are fewer and fewer all the time. So I'm not expecting much on that aspect.

I suppose it's kinda hit or miss when picking a server. Maybe I'll get lucky. I can always re-roll. As I say, I'm just gonna be in it for the fun. It is encouraging to see so many people still enjoying what I think of as the one really original and popular mmo. I regret leaving Norrath now, looking back over all the years and all the time spent on other, less fulfilling games. Don't let me down, EQ, I'm counting on you!
  2. Borek-VS Augur

Welcome back!
  3. Pristine Oakwynd

Welcome back, and I know the feeling about RP. I generally do it or have done it in other games, though I never did any RP really in EQ when I played it over a decade ago. I have opted to start from scratch too, though I still have my first characters around the game. But, yeah, I am here for the fun, and server wise, I am still poking around.

Good luck!
  4. Yther Augur

Hi ya, and welcome back and good luck!

Servers depend on what you want, but there are plenty of threads about them. And the only Role-Playing dedicated server doesn't have much role playing, Firiona Vie.

Yther Ore.
  5. Akon Elder

Hey... and thanks for the welcomes and stuff. EQ is already starting to feel good :) and I haven't even logged in yet. LOL
  6. Akon Elder

Weeeeeeeeee! I made it back into Norrath today after more than a decade. It's awesome to be back.
  7. SuicidalDwarfPally New Member

I am returning as well. I have not played since EQ2 came out and spent a good time on WoW. I remembering loving the crafting here and hope it has not changed at all. I have noticed that there appears to be a lot of micro transactions now. I hate that some RPGs are going this way. Tell me that it wont affect the game play if you dont do it. I am going to start from scratch as well and will prob create in Xegony and a good RP server. What RP server did you select to use Akon? Is it a good server?
  8. Akon Elder

Hey Suicidal... yeah things have certainly changed. Actually, I created on Firiona Vie (the designated RP servicer, supposedly) but only stayed for a moment. I'm waiting on a new PC to begin. I wanted a RP server, but it seems there really isn't much RP on any of the servers. When my new box comes and I get into game, I don't know where I'll end up. One thing for sure, I'm tired of bashing through games at lightning speed just to get to end game. This time I'm going slow just to enjoy the ride :) Did you go with Xegony?
  9. Roxxanna Augur

10. SuicidalDwarfPally New Member

Nope. I actually did Firiona Vie as well. I am still in the tutorial at lvl 6 and was surprised at the number of ppl in the noob area. It wasnt overwhelming, but at least half a dozen to ten others running around. After playing WoW for the past "x" amount of years, the play seems really slow (which I prefer). I will be taking my time and enjoying the sights. Have to find a guild to join... I might create a couple characters on Xegony just to see the difference in activeness. We'll see. For now, back to Firiona Vie to see if i can get out of this training area and back to Butcher Block Mountains(if they still exists...).
  11. Borek-VS Augur

Tip for getting out of Gloomingdeep:

• If you walk into the waterfall in the main cavern, you end up in Crescent Reach, which is good for the Hero's Journey, but not so much for nostalgia.
    • But you can say to Arias: "ready to leave", and you will appear in the Plane of Knowledge, and can find the stone for Kaladim to get to Butcherblock.
    But it's best to collect all the quest reward armour first.
  12. Akon Elder

Borek... thanks for the tip! I'll probably go to Crescent Reach and start the Hero's Journey after finishing the tutorial quests.

Suicidal... if you join a guild in FV let me know what you think... and also about server populations. I probably won't be in game until near the end of the week now :( Can't wait!
  13. Jerm New Member

Welcome back! Same here, restarted and enjoying the ride (old acct long gone).

Quests, at least the newer Crescent Reach ones, are very cool -- you can easily level to 35 or so in two zones. Even doing the "pointless" ones are good because of the associated achievement reward can be spectacular. Only bad thing is that the newer gear typically way outclasses the neat PoK quest gear, for instance, but sometimes it's fun to slow down and quest them anyway.
  14. Naugrin Augur

Just a heads up to you guys...

FV has one major drawback, you can't transfer off. Also the economy there caters more to the "rich" than the normal servers. Almost everything is tradable there (read sellable). It may well be a good fit for you. I just wanted you to know what you are getting in to.
  15. Akon Elder

Hiya, Jerm... and thanks! And welcome back yourself! You know, looking back it was EQ2 that got me to "abandon" EQ. For the day, the graphics in EQ2 were stunning compared to EQ. Well, EQ2 just didn't do it for me and so I went elsewhere... typical stuff, WoW, Aion, LOTRO, etc... I never should have left the original EQ. But in those days the whole deal was to get on to the next best thing. Not anymore! While I do have some sweet memories from Aion and LOTRO, nothing compares to the memories of Game One... EQ! Of course, I understand that a lot of that is circumstance... the people and the time. But still, the game is what it is. Oh, I was able to log into my old account. So I'm a Silver member, for whatever good that is. LOL. I'm going to be on new characters, though. :) And none of this instant level 85 crap, either! LOL.
    SuicidalDwarfPally likes this.
  16. Akon Elder

EEK... thanks, Naugrin..... I never was a "rich" player in any game. LOL. I'll poke around and see how it goes. I'm definitely not bonded to FV yet.
  17. Pristine Oakwynd

Yeah, I had looked at FV as well as I actually played there with some friends at some point, though Xev (now Xegony) was my main server. I still have my characters, but starting new is still what I want to do in trying the game out and getting into it once more. I'd heard the same about FV about it being better for the 'rich' type of player.
  18. Akon Elder

I keep hearing "Xegony"... hummm... *drums fingers*.... *forms a plan and smiles*....
  19. Pikkell New Member

The Serpent's Spine is now 8 years old. Which is 2 years older than 'nostalgic' (original) EQ was when it was introduced. Maybe it's time for a new updated expansion to move TSS into a new nostalgic era. :)
    SuicidalDwarfPally and Akon like this.
  20. SuicidalDwarfPally New Member

If I find a guild I will let you know. I have not checked out how "rich" this server is, but from what I am reading it may be a good idea to go ahead and create a character in Xegony to be on the safe side.