A Message From the Team about Phinigel XP

Discussion in 'Time Locked Progression Servers' started by Roshen, Dec 11, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Trevalon Augur

You can throw around the word Hyperbole, but the only time something can even be Hyperbole is when it is proven wrong. Hyperbole is an exaggeration, until you can prove he is really exaggerating then you cannot say he is speaking hyperbolic. In 2 weeks we will see if Elkay is right or not and then you can call his speech that if he is proven wrong.

As it is right at this moment, the highest levels on the server are on track to hit 50 at around the 100 hour mark. This is with a perfect group, 0 competition for spawns, and EXP pots running 24/7.

Everyone else won't have those luxuries, and the main one they won't have is no competition and competition for mobs will *easily* double your EXP time. For instance on RF I hit 26 on day 3 because I had competition for mobs and camps. I switched to LJ and because we maximized our DPS we had no competition and hit 26 on the very first night. It literally took me 3 times as long to get to 26 on RF than it did on LJ and that was 100% because of not having to compete with other groups.

So if the Hardcore with their 0 competition, EXP pots, and perfect no downtime groups are on track to do it in 100 hours it is not a stretch by any imagination that your average player who will have to compete with everyone else, probably wont have 100% EXP post uptime, and will have to contend with good and bad groups, could easily have to take 200+ even 300 hours to get to 50.

So, Lets give it a couple weeks and see how hyperbolic Eklay is being.
    Drexll and Finwen like this.
  2. Elkay Augur

20 hours a week will barely get you to cap before the next expansion releases. No time to gear up, no time to enjoy raids as current. Once AAs are out, they'll be tortuously slow if kept in line with current XP rates. It really would take 40 hours a week to be raid capable halfway through an 84 day expansion.
  3. code-zero Augur

IIRC by this time on RF there were already dragon kills. I don't think that Daybreak ever whats to have a situation where people can devour and then monopolize content. The alternative would likely have been to make mobs hit harded and have more HP/buffs across the board to make it impossible to solo.

As strange as it may sound long term this is probably the best possible scenario. As for AA's in the future we don't yet know if autogrant is going to be on however I believe that AA exp is based entirely on /con
  4. Ambee Elder

I don't think bastardizing the classic experience even further is the best possible scenario. I don't remember hearing a single complaint about the exp issue on RF/LJ, so why change it?
  5. Elkay Augur

Because the RF/LJ XP rate was appropriate and shouldn't have been changed for this server from that rate, especially with the accelerated, non-vote 84 day unlocks.
  6. Fiyero Augur

And Lockjaw downed Vox/Naggy faster than RF.
  7. Ravil Journeyman

It's already been stated by the GM that was there for the kills, that they first dragon kills where done with nothing but mages in their 30s.

Ducreux sums up the exp grind and what to expect in his post on this thread:
    https://forums.daybreakgames.com/eq...current-highest-level-on-phinny.229142/page-4

Elkay is pretty much right on spot with not hitting level cap before kunark. Add in time spent jacking around, sitting lfg, doing monotonous quests or tradeskills, getting in fail groups that waste your time and evening of play time, and the idea of being level cap before kunark goes out the window.
    Elkay likes this.
  8. Saltyd0gg Journeyman

Its actually a little confusing. The xp penalty keeps players from rushing through content... But whats the point? Whats the real reason for keeping players from rushing through content? Its the players that can rush through content quickly that are going to do the very same thing on Phinny. It doesnt make any sense to me. It may be good to find some middlground. Because either way, im reluctant to play.
    Elkay likes this.
  9. Mashef Augur

Not a bad idea to slow exp down. With instancing you need to create some separation between the upper end players, middle tier average players and the scrubs. This is a great way to do this. I am mildly impressed with the EQ Dev team for once.

That being said...the exp penalty should be removed by Velious launch in 6 months. It shouldn't be impossible for people to make secondary characters. Let the exp penalty serve its purpose and cut ties with it when Velious opens up.
  10. Elkay Augur

The separation between hardcores and average players is easily drawn by those still willing to poopsock the contested spawns. No need for the XP barrier.
    Saokeh and Lejaun like this.
  11. Mashef Augur

This quote indicates that you understand very little about EQ. does not = talent or even being good at the game.
  12. Lejaun Augur

Personally, I think the experience rate is perfect...for Ragefire/Lockjaw. That was how they should of opened up those servers, along with instanced raids. Hindsight is 20/20, but if I had a time machine and the power to change things, I would have made Ragefire and Lockjaw open the same day. Ragefire would be a three month no-vote to unlock server with experience the same as it now. Lockjaw would be a no-vote six months to unlock server with experience at the rate of Phinigel and with instanced raids.

I actually like the speed of the experience, but it is changing how I will play bigtime. Classic and expansions that open up the leveling cap are going to be some serious grindquest that I wasn't expecting.
  13. Elkay Augur

I didn't say it required talent or skill. It gets players the most raid-level gear, which once the general population is at level cap, is the defining separation between the average EQ player and the hardcore one.
  14. Ambee Elder

2 things.

1. Why does some artificial line have to be drawn so people can declare their superiority? The whole point of instance raiding is that you can do what you want when you want.

2. There are open world spawns that spawn every day versus 6 days or so for the instanced versions. That means there will still be guilds who are able to obtain much more top end gear.
  15. Sithil Elder

So what is the actual decrease in XP vs Ragefire/Lockjaw? the %? I've seen a few post that its 60-66% less than those 2. While I don't think slowing the XP some from Ragefire/Lockjaw is a bad thing so that people are max lvl within 3-5 days, there is no reason it should take 20+ hours just to lvl to 10. 1-20 shouldn't be a breeze, but with most everyone knowing what they are doing 1-20 should be able to completed is a couple days. I know its a no vote server, but what do you think the % of players would vote to increase the experience gained? Even if it was minor, something like 10 or 20%, anyone who wants to max level before kunark and maybe not even raid but work in planes for Gear is out of luck unless they can devote 24-30+ hours per week to grind lvls.
  16. SithWizard Elder

I would very much like to see the experience raised to that of RF and LJ. Many people such as myself want to level up multiple characters.
    DBG please raise the experience, or at least sell triple exp potions (face palm). Consider it a paid service for people who want to level faster.
  17. Lateryn Augur

False.
  18. Punchu Augur

Let's all calm down and see if they change the exp after the first round of raid kills in classic.

Roshen has already alluded to the fact that they slowed down exp to keep the raid mobs alive longer than 3 days. Of course there's other nerfs and buffs in effect but everyone needs to calm down and see what they do after the first round of kills.

If anything DBG has shown they cave to forum pressure with these TLPs. With this backlash just be patient and see what happens after classic is beat.
    FurySoul likes this.
  19. Ishkur Elder

So should we calm down or keep up the forum pressure? I'm so confused...
  20. Gloom Journeyman

I think a lot of this would be fixed if they just made unlock timers a static 90 days AFTER the expansion is beat.

If the more casual players on the server truly cared about seeing content in era or what have you (i'm assuming that's the chief complaint from reading these forums) then this solves it.

- Hardcore raiders will get to rush exp and down content
    - While hardcore raiders are still downing content, casuals can still be leveling up
    - 90 days starts at the END of the expac clear
    - Casuals will hit max level sometime shortly after hardcore raiders are done clearing content
    - Everyone gets instances for probably 2 months.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.