A Message From the Team about Phinigel XP

Discussion in 'Time Locked Progression Servers' started by Roshen, Dec 11, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Sneakle New Member

As a team you feel that the few who does nothing but play Everquest and level fast, kill bosses fast, is ground to punish rest of the community?

I wanted to play on Phinny, but not with this exp penalty. It's out right stupid. And the only reason you are doing so is to make more money via DBG cash spending and more to buy kronos to buy in game items, it's greed and it's bad for business.

The server wont thrive for long. Few likes it, most does not want it, some accept it but doesn't thrive. No one will be able to catch up if they dont play like it was a full time job. How can you see this is good? So since this is already an issue you could have had more customers by changing it right away, now those customers probably wont be on Phinny at all even if you make the exp rate as on RF/LJ since all their friends, general server pop, are way higher in levels.

And again, those who play all the time will level up and kill stuff fast in this game, but it's a few compared to how many is actually playing it. It wont matter to them if the exp rate is slow, but it does for the rest.
    Drexll and Elkay like this.
  2. -wycca Augur

Alternative theory - slower exp would also give breathing room on fixing any problems with instanced raids and such.
  3. Ambee Elder

Now THAT is a true classic experience
    Drexll likes this.
  4. T_LoL_P_Servers New Member

Don't forget about Kunark, yalls

Levels 51 to 60 take roughly as long as levels 1 to 51. So that'll be another 150-200 hours grind right there, with much less significant returns in regards to character progression (only 9 levels vs 50 levels of progression.)

Specifically levels 55 to 60, I think, will be when the majority of players give up on the server. Your options will basically be Karnor's, Sebilis, or Howling Stones and there will be EXTREME competition for pulls as well.
    Elkay likes this.
  5. Tweelis Augur

[IMG]
    Hey T LoL P

There are many other places than those three zones for the 51+ crowd, you just need to think outside the box.

Why do you feel as though you're being punished? I see it as these people are getting rewarded! See my analogy in the other thread about wearing a blackbelt versus earning a blackbelt.

As for the rest of your post Sneakle.
  6. Zansobar Augur

I just don't understand why the DBG team would think that changing server rules that impact everyone (global xp) would solve their stated problem (high end players getting to max level and beating the content in a few days/weeks). To me this just makes the problem worse as it means this new slow xp system further rewards those that can stay online 24/7, instead of penalizing it.

Why didn't DBG just put a cap on xp gained per day per account? Or cap on levels gained per day per account...or at least per character? That way the casuals have more chance to keep up with the leveling curve in the game and participate in the new expansions content when they launch? Right now, it will only take one or two expansions before most casuals are left behind with no hope of catching up...which is one of the main reasons very few new players will join the Live servers.

If the expansion unlocks were much much longer (6 months or so) then the slow xp wouldn't be a problem. For example, over on Project 1999 they were in Kunark for years yet they continually got more new players every day...why?...because players joining new they had a chance of reaching the game's end game and participating...instead of always being the low man on the totem pole.

I just don't see the logic in what DBG did...and not informing players prior to server launch (I bought a 3 month sub for this server, but would have thought hard and long about that choice had I known how slow the xp gain was going to be, since I already knew the short timers for expansions) seems to be a very bad PR move.

I also want to play alts...but there is absolutely no way I can keep up with the expansion unlocks on more than one character...I may not with even one character. By the way I have played casually since launch and am only level 7 and the going is very slow and is borderline boring...if the xp gets even worse as I level up I just don't think I will make it very long before throwing in the towel.
  7. Elkay Augur

With 84 day unlocks, this was never going to be an alt-friendly server without manual boxing. Other than that, your points are all good and valid.
  8. Steampunk Augur

This is a good place for a period. Really, there are three viable options. People can accept things as they are and play and enjoy. People can continue to whine and cry and moan like little children when Mommy takes the cookie jar away, causing more bad feelings and unhappiness and sadness. Or, people can decide this isn't what they wanted and go back to one of the other servers, or even to a different game.
    Elkay likes this.
  9. Vaclav Augur

Numerically as a figure of XP, yes.

Realistically, no. The mobs you should be killing at that point give a massive amount of XP per kill in comparison to anything previous.

If these rates stay till Kunark (I doubt it) - I'd expect hardcore folks to get 1-2 levels a day in Kunark, lighter playtime folk to get 0.5-1 level per day.
  10. Valeron Journeyman

Or the fourth option: People may present negative feedback (as is their right) in a reasonable and polite manner, as Zansobar did. Not every instance of criticism is equitable to whining, and to equate every argument that doesn't match your own views as 'crying and moaning like little children' is, itself, far more childish than the criticism Zansobar presented.

This thread is for people to discuss the xp changes, both for and against. Not sure what you were expecting to find, 10 pages in.
  11. Steampunk Augur

Certainly wasn't expecting to find anybody who was actually thinking rationally, instead of emotionally. Certainly didn't find it, either. Just another day-old "New Member" who thinks maybe somebody will be stupid enough to think it is actually a really new person who should count as a real opinion instead of just an echo of an opinion by someone that other people aren't paying attention to any more.
  12. Saokeh New Member

Because someone posted their opinion on a new account means they are trying to +1 their own points? Hold on a second while I....Hahahahaha.

Calling people children because they are dissatisfied with the intended audience is already enough to show maturity. But in all honesty...let's count the TLP tries and fails. Let's list all the prior issues of each. Logically, it's always been server drama due to "I'm the best" mentality, KSing boss mobs, and Army boxing. Well...we got that worked out, so why would we need an EXTREMELY slower experience gain?
  13. Numiko Augur

I feel sorry for people wanting to play beastlords, with this exp level and 84 day unlocks they may be caught up on levels and aa's by oww... OOW? ... maybe they should make LDON and LOY full 84 day expansions so people can catch up a bit.
  14. Ambee Elder

lol like people will still be playing this garbage by then
  15. Mayfaire Augur

Color me confused. I thought the point of these TLP servers were to recreate the original EQ experience as closely as possible? Original EQ had an exp rate that was slow as molasses. Why are people upset? o_O

I don't even see why anyone thought DBG should have made an announcement about it.
    Geri_Petrovna likes this.
  16. Ladysoth Augur

Where on earth did you get that idea? We don't have hell levels, staring at the book while medding, having to retrieve corpses, we have Luclin graphics, parcels, shared banks......

The P99 servers are about recreating the original experience as closely as possible. The TLP servers are not.
    Elkay, Finwen and Ishkur like this.
  17. Valeron Journeyman

Classic did not have expansions every 84 days though. The impression many people had was that this was a server where EVERYONE got to experience content (hence instanced raids) at an accelerated rate (an impression given by the faster expansion unlocks).

People made assumptions about what the server would be like, for sure. I think they were fair enough assumptions to make, others think that they were not, which is why there's such a big discussion about it.

In the interest of good communication DBG really should have been very clear about what this server was, and wasn't, going to be from the outset.
  18. Numiko Augur

Original EQ lasted roughly 400 days ... we have 84.
  19. Mayfaire Augur

Thus "closely as possible". Meaning, they can't recreate everything. Not sure what the point of TLP is if people want it to be as different as possible from original EQ and closer to the live experience.
  20. Ladysoth Augur

No, they could easily disable or change many of these things if that's what they wanted. We have the old Cazic-Thule zone, but the new Freeport; we have parceling and shared banks, but no mercs; we have no stare-at-the-book medding, but we have spells every level instead of every 4 or 5. List goes on.

The TLP's are for people that prefer earlier-era EQ like Kunark, Velious etc etc instead of TDS, TBM, COTF yada yada. We're all nostalgic trip-down-memory-laner's (except for those of us making livings off kronos) but we're the folks who are glad all that crap like book medding and losing corpses and hell levels are gone. We're not purists; all those people are in P99. We just want to have a good time in the era(s) of EQ we enjoyed the most.

I realize my original response to you may have come off a tad harsh, and I didn't mean it to sound that way. I apologize if that was the case.
    Drexll, Geri_Petrovna, Elkay and 2 others like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.