Need Before Greed on a game with Kronos doesn't make sense.

Discussion in 'Time Locked Progression Servers' started by WokeCat, Jun 21, 2023.

1. Kahna Augur

Dude... that is the game... Make friends, kill stuff together. It's the entire premise behind guilds. A collective of people who help each other tackle the game, knowing that when they need help later those people will be there. I am sorry if you've never been able to make a group of friends who will help you camp your gear. You're missing out.
  2. WokeCat Augur

So why would a Cleric ever camp Hamlord? And this actually happened to me when I was doing Hamlord on my Cleric. SSOY dropped, instantly is given to the warrior in the group (this was when SSOY was going for a Krono), and when I'm confused, they say it's a need before greed group, and that the necro just got an SMR before I joined and that the next two SMRs are going to the other 2 casters in the group / and they start crossing their fingers that another SSOY will drop for the warrior.

Now ask me, as a Cleric, why would I want to stay in a group like this? I can't solo anything by myself, so it's not like I can just hit level 50 and go out and farm a bunch of platinum or rare items. The only way I have to get items is literally by grouping with other players, but when I'm not even allowed to loot because of NBG, why wouldn't I just be like yeah, no thanks to Hamlord (I think Shamans / Druids would also get screwed in this type of group).

It just seems incredibly greedy from my perspective to be like yeah, this Necromancer who will actually be able to solo this camp in about 5 levels needs this item that's worth a Krono more than you do.
  3. WokeCat Augur

Yeah, let me only play the game based off of the schedule of other people.

Edit; didn't mean to snap at you, but I have odd hours, and it's not realistic for me to try and base my game time off of other players. I feel like a lot of us fall under this category as evidenced by the LFG and the fact that I regularly group with people from virtually every guild on the server.
  4. Waring_McMarrin Augur

Because they camp with a group of friends who will later help them out for the things that they need? Yes if it is a random group everyone will want a shot at the loot but if it is a group of friends people will be more likely to give it to those who need it.
  5. WokeCat Augur

So we're talking about the average player experience here. If everyone who is in a "good" guild only plays with guild mates and friends, then why do I frequently find myself in groups with officers from the various top guilds on our server? lol.

Like you're making it sound like I'm new to MMOs and haven't been playing them since 1999. We're playing on a server that regularly sells items and services for Kronos. When is the last time someone offered to power level or teleport you for free? This idea that Oakwynd is a community of friendly and helpful people is very, very far fetched.
    OldTimeEQ1 likes this.
  6. Waring_McMarrin Augur

I never said anything about the community, I just made a statement that people don't like to have to buy items that drop in a group from their groupmates.
  7. WokeCat Augur

Yeah, they usually don't claim they need them and then try to sell them to their group mates afterwards. They usually wait and go to the EC tunnel for that.
  8. Waring_McMarrin Augur

And buying it from them in the EC tunnel later doesn't change my statement.
  9. Beimeith Lord of the Game

Need and Greed both need to be removed and just replaced with "Want."

Anything other than that (and No/Never) is better discussed in the group and dealt with manually.
  10. Yinla Ye Ol' Dragon

Need and greed both have their place. Take collectables in later expansions. I need on the ones I still need to collect, but greed on ones I have so they don't rot. The same as when I play alts with friends, I greed on items that are an upgrade so they can get the items before me as a main.

Everyone just needs to be clear on what the loot rules are when they join. On Vaniki items are very rarely rolled we just work it out between ourselves.
  11. Waring_McMarrin Augur

That would be horrible for groups of freinds/guildmates that actually want to use need and greed.
    Yinla likes this.
  12. Kahna Augur

Need/Greed have their place. My friend groups and my guild both use them in a Mains Need, Alts Greed system. Lets alts start to grab spells and other bits and bobs after the mains have what they need.
    Yinla likes this.
  13. toasty4800 Elder

Stressing over lguk gear.

Holy crap this is sad.
  14. toasty4800 Elder

IDK what kind of groups of friends and guildmates you join, but the ones I join, loot that is needed by someone is assigned or only the ones who need roll.

Are you worried about friends/guildmates ninja looting?
  15. Duder Augur

Your logic makes no sense to me. Everyone needs money or items to trade for what they need, be it a krono or another piece of loot. Why would any healer ever spend time at the FBSS or Hamlord camp unless there for a friend? PUGs should always roll need on any and all tradable loot. Why would it be scumbaggery to have self-interest as much as anyone else in a PUG of randos? What's scumbaggery is expecting 5 other people to pass on loot for you. To me, I hear your words saying you are more important than 5 other random people. Discounting the fact that the loot is tradable just says that you are selfish and have no interest in the game mechanics if they dont suit your desires and your desires alone.
  16. Ash W. New Member

Join a guild if you want nbg gameplay. Anytime you group with unknowns, this will(and should) happen.

Long story short... keep your wow out of our Everquest.
  17. Mrjon3s Augur

So why didn't your buddy before inviting said person say Listen I am after this item and have been here x amount of hours if it drops It's mine. If your cool with that come exp with me if not I understand.
    Yinla likes this.
  18. Waring_McMarrin Augur

That was the point of my statement, in groups of friends or guildmates those that need the item click on need and those who don't need it and just want it for tribute, selling, alts or other uses click on greed. With those two options you don't have to worry about asking who needs it and who doesn't the system will automatically roll based for need if someone needs or for greed of no one needs.
  19. TLP Addict Augur

The fact that this debate still exists explains why a lot of people just wash their hands of it all and box their own groups.
    Laronk, Koshk and yepmetoo like this.
  20. vaio007 Elder

I always appreciate the people who up-front in a PUG say "Just a heads up, I'm going to roll Need on everything."

Gets it out of the way.