Please don't multi-box

Discussion in 'Time Locked Progression Servers' started by tzeriel, May 7, 2015.

1. Devorum New Member

I love when people imply that no one boxed in classic EQ. Everyone I knew that played irl at least tried boxing out at some point between '99 and '05..
  2. Darth Augur

I don't think they're talking about people playing 2 accounts. They're talking about 6+ accounts controlled through [Unmentioned 3rd Party Software].
    MBear likes this.
  3. Shemak Journeyman

Boxing is a paradox, it start with avoiding tedious downtime, and can end up creating tedious downtime. Especially where the ratio people/content is high, but then again in case this ratio is low it is a solution.

Everyone can box so on this front it cant be though as unfair, but the number of account an individual can buy and maintain isnt the same for everyone, so it can become a form of pay to win.

In my opinion, tedious downtime are a part of EQ, its what is driving people to help each other and form a community. Its almost unique in the mmorpg scene, and thus i wish it could be banned. But it wont, so i will box what i need and hope the boxed armies will let some group and guild content available.
    Fallfyres likes this.
  4. Darth Augur

I rolled a rogue as an alt on Vulak.

I was lfg running around looking for groups and would run into boxers. 3-4 boxing. I would ask them if I could join their group, and 9 times out of 10 the following happened.

I would receive a tell saying something along the lines of "I'm mostly afk while at work and only killing 1-2 mobs every so often."

This would very rarely lead to "You can join until you find a better group." THIS IS A GOOD BOXER.

Most of the time however it lead to..."So I don't want you to have to settle for slow xp."

Fine, so I hide/sneak near them while waiting for and searching for xp groups. I watch them chain pull for hours.... YES HOURS. So either they completely lied and just didn't want to play with other players, or they were entirely automated.

And, this happened more than once, enough for me to actually remember it.

While I support boxers who want to be part of the community, and even support boxers who occasionally just want a break from people who afk all the time in groups it doesn't make people feel good about boxing when they are excluded multiple times.
  5. Devorum New Member

That's understandable. The reality for me is that I have, maybe, 2 hours to play in the evenings.. I just don't have time to find a group AND make any sort of progress. So on those nights, I'll likely box one other account so I can feel like I'm not paying a subscription to sit and spam "30 <class> LFG" for my entire play time.
  6. Hateseeker Augur

Funny how you imply that "Classic" is 1999 through 2005. If only more people would take that point of view, opening with Kunark and Velious would have been more attainable, both of which came in 2000, and are not significantly less Classic than "Classic" itself.
    Devorum likes this.
  7. Darth Augur

It's almost like if you had friends in game that would help you, this could be avoided. I mean you even make it sound like a single friend could make your nights better.

If only instead of boxing those 3-4 nights you had made a friend instead, through socializing.

Just busting your balls sir, but honestly make friends.
    Devorum likes this.
  8. Darth Augur

Classic has many meaning to different groups.

Classic = No expansions.

Classic - Velious and before

Classic = time before I left to play wow.

Being the 3 major camps.
    Numiko and Hateseeker like this.
  9. Shemak Journeyman

What if i told you that the reason you cant find a group easily is because the other potential lfg are boxing ? :D

Jokes aside, i understand, but i could argue that there is like a billion mmorpg outhere that can fit your playtime, and there is about zero heavily community driven game but EQ "classic" . But i have no issues with your style of boxing. The issue is with the boxers who use it to get an edge over regular people preventing them access to content they shouldnt be able to do by themselves, resulting in either people leaving or boxing themselves.
    Out of hand it can totally destroy what EQ has that is unique and is the reason why i am here, hence my concerns :D
  10. Ultrazen Augur

I box quite a bit, but it is a self fulfilling prophecy of sorts. The time that you spend boxing, is time when you're not building relationships with other people, which leads to low friends list, which leads to more boxing.

I ended up getting into boxing because when I came back to the game it was about impossible to find groups to level in. For me, the best part of the game is the interaction with a group, and forming those friendships. I'm going to roll a chanter on the prog server and try and avoid boxing as much as I can. I'm sure it's something I'll do down the road though, once the server spreads out.

/shrug. To each his own, some people are anti social and just enjoy playing EQ. If someone is willing to spend 100+ bucks a month to play EQ, more power to them. It may be quite sad and lonely, but at the end of the day, every person is responsible for their own choices.
  11. Shemak Journeyman

I agree, to the extent of when their choices ends up ruining our game experience, even more when there is a billion games out there that are made for them, they are freeto come in the only place that fits our needs and ruin it, but i wont say its ok :D

And we are forgetting about the plat sellers boxed armies too. How many times did i see them huging the fungi camp for days. Its unnerving enough when its a regular boxed army but when you know they just end up selling their item for cash its even worse.
  12. Darth Augur

You could play a MUDD. Or table top RPGS.

Your fun is ruined by them boxing. Their fun is ruined by you making them not box.

Everyone should have fun... but there needs to be a balance.
  13. Behee Augur

More instances of zones in the older content would help. They say they don't want to change the raiding content, but maybe they could make it so the raid mobs spawn on their own timers and only in the first instance.

That way more content is opened up for everyone.
  14. Shemak Journeyman

The issue is you cant really have it both ways, as a core concept i mean. In EQ you can with reasonable boxing, but with too much boxing you cant .
    I really think there should be a place in the mmorpg genre for people like me, its not fair that the solo type got to get the entire genre to themselves, but fair has nothing to do with it, everythings about the $ ...
    For now, TLP is only place where i can get what i am looking for, maybe, depending on how it goes boxing wise. People looking to compete in a meaningfull way, in a heavy community centered game are screwed tho :D.
    Fallfyres likes this.
  15. Darth Augur

There is a place for you. www.project1999.com They allow ZERO boxing. I'm sure some happens, but certainly no 6+ bot armies. The end game is toxic and filled with griefing much like TLP will be.

So your version of EQ is that way.

Glad I could help I expect you'll never post here again since I just gave you exactly what you're looking for.
    Sendori and Triumph like this.
  16. Devorum New Member

I've tried those games...they aren't EQ. There's something about this game that keeps me coming back.

And a big part of that is/was the community. I'd love to have a lot of friends to group with, and not box...because that's what I miss in newer MMOs. Even when people do group, it's just to rush from objective to objective. No sitting around chatting, waiting for the next pull or for the Cleric to med back up. Just silence and running towards quest markers.

Even though I mained a Necro, grouping was my favorite part of EQ.

My major experience with it in later years, though, is the population being so low I had no choice but to box. I'd love for that not to be a requirement on Ragefire.
  17. Baulkin Augur

Boxing has been around sense Classic. Generally speaking I have no problem with it as long as the following is true.

1. One person is not Boxing more than 6 people (Locking down raid content)
    2. Only 1 Toon is claimed as the boxers main
    3. No external assistance programs are being used.
    4. Boxer does not "pretend" he is more than one person in a group in order to obtain more loot.
  18. Eidetic New Member

I think there will be enough people who wont box and want to have a nostalgic feeling when they play Ragefire. Atleast for the first couple of months. Well as we all know some classes just can't solo well and those classes are extemely tedious to level solo without a merc. So I understand why some has chosen to box over the years, and I tried it once for a short while and I think it sucks to play that way, but each to his own.
    Last time I grouped everyday it was in the Luclin expansion and it was a hellofafun. I dont know what some people says that there are bad players most who plays EQ has played for years. I rarely meet bad players in old MMO's, they are veteran so that is just one bad excuse and reeks of elitism.

If for once a new player should join which is unlikely take you time and explain a few things that is how you learned the game. We were all noobs once!

<Edit>: Oh bad players btw what can you screw up it's classic lol..
    Fallfyres likes this.
  19. Tornat Augur

it was annoying to see a 6boxer holding orc hill in gfey today on the beta , and it will be even more annoying to see those 6 boxers when there are very few camps in classic. all we can really do is report the guys who are automated using assistance programs. those guys will ruined the economy very quickly.
  20. Behee Augur

They should close that server!! All the social people are there, and not adding to our community! If we closed down all the places people like to play, they would be forced to come here and play with us!

:p (and, yes, sarcasm. Plus some irony).