Pre-Order Call of the Forsaken

Discussion in 'News and Announcements' started by Amnerys, Aug 23, 2013.

1. Anianya New Member

Ok I'm coming back to EQ after a a break and my last expansion was HoT. So you're saying that I need to buy RoF if I want to play to lvl 100 and then buy the new expansion if I want the new one also? That would be stupid considering I would get all previous expansions with the purchase of CoF. But I can't get access to the previous expansions included in the new expansion until the new one goes live. So what is the sense of buying it in the pre-order if I can't even use it to get the previous expansions? Explain that logic to me! Either way I'm not sold on it either and I'm second guessing going back into my gold membership and now even if I wanted to I can't find a way to buy RoF because everything is about pre-ordering CoF. What do you suggest I should do besides forking all of my hard earned money to SOE?
  2. Xianzu_Monk_Tunare Augur

All expansions started being included as part of the expansions with Secrets of Faydwer (Nov 2007); starting sometime before Luclin (Dec 2001) they started releasing box sets which were priced similar to the cost of an expansion which included all previous expansions, and sometimes the current expansion as well.
  3. Xianzu_Monk_Tunare Augur

You can and do get the previous expansions if you buy (currently Pre-Order) CotF, but as it has always been they don't give you access till you pay, and you don't pay until launch day.
    Play as Silver, do quests, gear up via the Bazaar where you can some of the gear from RoF also you can go to the temporarily bumped up SolB and Castle Mistmoore and get gear, minus the chase items. That would cover a couple weeks of your time, if you go gold you could spend the rest of the time AA'ing unless you left with max AAs.
    Leerah likes this.
  4. Anianya New Member

I came back gold. All I been doing is AA exp leveling. I'm at lvl 90 right now but l don't want to go out and buy RoF and two weeks later the new expansion comes out. I don't care about the fluff that comes with it, I just want to play. I can't make any kind of decision until they give us more info on the zones and quests and missions and spells and AA's and other important game related things on CoF. I guess until then I will stay at 99% into lvl 90 and just lvl up my AA's and waste my plat.
  5. Clueless Journeyman

Overall, I am fairly happy with EQ. But is the expansion going to be released in parts like Rof, or are you going to get the whole expansion at once?
  6. Recnarp Augur

When you preorder, you do not get charged until the day the expansion is released. You can cancel preorders at anytime, however they are not going to give you something to hold you over for free in the mean time. It has always worked this way.
  7. Denial_Sinfae Augur

It will be a staggered release again. I am glad. It makes it fun to experience different sections of content and not feel like you have so much to do. You just work within this zone, beat everything, exp a little, farm for alts a little, when content is released, then you move on to next area. Gives you time to get a feel. Granted, the raid part kinda sucked being limited to so few encounters. Ah well.
    Pirlo likes this.
  8. Anianya New Member

Well duh i know they're not going to give you anything for free. No one is that naive. All I am saying is I am not sure for myself if I should buy RoF or wait till CoF comes out since they've already started the pre-orders. It's been in my experience that once the pre-orders start the expansion release date isn't that far behind. That's all I'm saying. And that I want to know more about the EXPANSION itself and not just about the stuff that comes with it when you pre-order.
  9. Xianzu_Monk_Tunare Augur

I would wait, the original date tossed around was sometime in September, but they have yet to make that official. I would suggest waiting a month or so; at least until the Hardcore Heritage thing ends by then I figure they will have a better idea on when they are going to release it.
    Leerah and Tegila like this.
  10. Bezelek New Member

I normally don’t post much here, but as someone who has spent an absurd amount of money on Everquest (expansions, gold membership, exp potions, etc) I think I should speak up about what I feel is one bad expansion after the next.

First of all, I can understand a new expansion. But please do something about the absurd content you guys are releasing.

Honestly, you started to lose your minds at the start of VOA. I imagine the board room meeting went like so:

“I got an idea, let’s make the trash mobs hit for 9k, quad, and then give them an absurd amount of hp.”

“Uhh, but they will give good exp right?”

“No! That’s the best part. The exp will be so mediocre that people will be forced to go back to HoT zones and grind on greens and light blues.”

"That sounds...awful. Nobody is going to buy that."

"They will have to if they want to get 5 more levels."

"You sir, just earned yourself a promotion."

Do you see what I’m saying here? I just spent 5 hours chain pulling in Grounds (a “hot zone”) because at 93, the only other option is Valley or Argath, which isn't much better exp and is 3x as hard. I have to pop 3 discs, with my merc on frantic spazz healing, just to drop a fricken dark blue rat for the daily.

Back to grounds. So I’m in fighting a light blue rotdog, with a full group, and it still hits for 1/3 of my hp sometimes. And I get 1% xp every 10 I kill. Sigh. Why the hell am I fighting so damn hard to kill a light blue? This is arsebackwards!

And don’t tell me it’s because I don’t know what I’m doing. I was a hard-core raider from Kunark to SoD, and know how to play my class and have top-notch gear, with some raid pieces. I can’t help the fact that the gear/abilities do not scale anymore to contend with the content. If I’m wrong then why are there 42 people in Grounds right now, most of which are close to lvl 100, grinding away while Argath is a ghost town? Sure Shard’s Landing gets a good amount of visitors, but they are almost all belong to the elite guilds on the server who are powerleving their alts there, or just enjoying the smell of their own farts, who knows exactly?

I've set foot once in the ROF expansion. I fought a few “weak” mobs then used origin as fast as I could click it.

Back to grounds. Always back to grounds. Oh look, there’s the rest of my guild who paid a total of 80 bucks for new content, grinding in Grounds.

If you’re going to release nothing but painful, unapproachable content, maybe you should at least up the exp a bit across the board so the other half of the server might get to enjoy whatever it is they are paying 40 bucks for. Not everyone has a 100 ber/ranger friend to commit zone-wide genocide for them so that the exp bar can (Gasp!) actually move!

<An EQ Player>
  11. DirtyGurtie Lorekeeper

When is the last day to preorder and get the savings? I need to get for 4 accounts, so I want to make sure I have enough money on the "fun money" card lol
  12. Crystilla Augur

Anianya,

Your best best is to wait. At SoE Live they said end of September was their target date for release (but they didn't give an actual day). It does seem a waste to spend any money right now. RoF has not gone on sale and on the website that was linked earlier, you can purchase RoF if you want to, but waiting a couple extra weeks seems to be well worth it.
    Leerah likes this.
  13. Anianya New Member

Thanks for the advice guys. I think I will wait a few weeks for the new expansion and just grind on AA's. Right now I spend my time in Tosk killing blues nuking away and brushing up on my wizzie skills. I've been gone a while LOL. I just tank them with my merc but I'm practicing my kiting for when I actually go out and try to level. I'm actually having a peaceful time there, no one bothers me, zone is empty lol, and when I'm bored I go work on my trade skills :)

I'm glad you gave your input Bezelek. That's some good info to know about the new zones. Now I know what to expect when I need to level from 91-100 and then up from there with the new expansion since there's probably going to be a new level increase. I do hope SOE takes your advice about kill to exp ratio and fixes it with the new expansion. I would hate to try and solo a blue mob and have to use a whole bar of mana and have to harvest for more mana just to kill it with my mouse pointer on exodus just in case I need a quick escape.
  14. oogolx Elder

with this new expansion they will be adding VoA to the F2P list. what id like to know is will this allow F2P accounts to be lvl95 and get 1500aa? or just lvl95? or neither just gain more content?
  15. Zalmonius Augur

Nope, don't see what you're saying. Went through and tanked / killed in valley with no problem before it was a hot zone and it was current content when I was leveling from 90-95.

It's been well known and documented that the "fastest" method of leveling is going to the previous expansion and swarm killing, which is probably why there are more people in grounds compared to valley. Yea, it's faster, so what? Especially if I'm power leveling an alt, I'd go to the easiest zone possible to swarm kill. If I was playing for fun, and for experience, I'd go to Valley. Hell, when VoA was released, I was in Argath until I was 95, then was in CoB. Not because it was the fastest method (fastest was Erudin Burning, unless you were a ranger =P), but because it was the most fun. Not to mention, you do progression missions to get updated gear, and those missions require tasks to do. Real easy!

What do you want? Easy, mindless content? Challenging content? Interesting content? I mean VoA was totally doable to people when it was current content, if you want easy, stay in grounds. You're more than capable of handling stuff in VoA and RoF, you just choose not to because it's not as easy as grounds. RoF is great in shard's landing! Mobs aren't unreasonably hard, they have chance of dropping tradable loot for all classes filling up almost every slot that's on par with T4 VoA gear.

You say you're lvl 93, how many AA's do you have? What class are you? I suspect you're lacking in the AA department as a tank, which is the only thing that would make sense, and in that case, of course you can't tank VoA / RoF at 93 with 1000 AA's, we've known that for ages.

Dude, RoF missions/tasks are MASSIVE xp. I mean dude, complete partisan / merc tasks and missions in SL and it's 25% xp at lvl 100. Under lvl 95, it was over 60% of a level JUST for completing the tasks, that's not even counting the xp you got from mob kills, and completion of tasks and missions. 95-100 was done on multiple characters JUST doing tasks and missions. I completed all missions because I wanted the aug reward, and completed merc / part tasks in SL and EW and that was enough xp for 95-100, and then some. You're 93? So do SL, EW and Kael and boom, you're doing enough to be lvl 100, and if you have groups (you're in a guild who all levels in grounds), grab 5 guys and go start doing SL/EW missions and tasks, they're EASY xp, yield gear (either to use or sell) and bam, you're gonna be moving faster than if you mass slaughtered in grounds.

If you can't handle RoF T1 content at 93, you're not appropriately AA'ed or geared; either way, you've been slacking. It's not the content's fault.
    Tegila, Quatr and Pirlo like this.
  16. BoomWalker Augur

Yes, yes...indeed...completely agree...VoA expansion was where the hard content started. Luckily, UF was easy...or nobody would still be playing when VoA was released. Whew...got lucky there...

Too bad TA's are not available for exp anymore...cuz then people could just spend plat and get experience in the GL instead of playing the game at all.
  17. BoomWalker Augur

If grounds is nearly killing a toon at 93....not much chance of doing more than beetles in SL...certainly not gonna be finishing tasks in RoF...maybe ever...
  18. Zalmonius Augur

Like I said, he's either not AA'ed or geared, or just sucks at EQ, but since he was "a hardcore raider from Kunark to SoD" we rule that out.
  19. Sebbina Augur

It's all right I never really liked the grounds, so if lots of folk are grinding that, that is great, I expect to visit to do the daily kill task. I prefer Sarith or Shards Landing - but , I am a coward, lol.
  20. CRAZO Journeyman

still awaiting pics before u get any of my accounts preordered.
    Fenthen and Pirlo like this.