Constructive feedback on Mangler and Selo

Discussion in 'Time Locked Progression Servers' started by Risiko, Feb 12, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Lateryn Augur

The only way to get true old school EQ server has been servers for the past decade already at least. If you thought any previous TLP was "True old school EQ" then you need help. Because you started in classic does not make it "True old school EQ". Take off your rose glasses.

Selo is almost perfect. A bit longer expac lockout and maybe allow a box per account(to help field those certain classes that no one wants to play).
  2. Garwin Lorekeeper

This has never been my experence with Phinny. Instances and true box rules generally deal with this issue.

I don't really understand this point. It sounds like you're saying that casual players are behind anyway so who cares if they're even farther behind?
    This is only true if you have a lot of time to play the game. I do think a lot of people are excited about Selos, but the point is that it's supposed to be for players who do not have a lot of time to invest in the game.
    Are you being sarcastic? People who can't keep up with a 1 month unlock timer are the definition of a casual player.

The problem is that with a fast unlock time, this adds up to p**psocking. People need to spend more time leveling, keying, and gearing in a shorter period of time. Instead of playing 20 hours a week to keep up, you now need to spend 40 hours a week to keep up. This is great for a hardcore server, but Selos is supposed to be for casual players
    Lakeland, Sarglahob and Risiko like this.
  3. Mardy Augur

The problem with EQ devs is that they're "old guards". The term used to describe people that have been there for a long time, unwilling to change or accept new ideas, and they think they know best. This is in a nutshell what's going on with EQ. It's the only explanation to how they could miss such hype and opportunity to make Everquest 20th anniversary special.

I was contemplating on coming back, waited for the ruleset to come out. 20th anniversary, why not give EQ another go right? I wasn't expecting them to do it completely right, but I did not expect them to miss the mark by such a wide margin. This truly shows you how out of touch they are, what a waste.

If you're an EQ dev/producer and you are reading this, I'm sorry to be harsh. But you need some fresh blood on your team because you just don't get your playerbase. We've gone through so many progression servers, how have you not learned what people like/dislike?
    SweetLaxTho and Risiko like this.
  4. Elskidor Augur

Selo sounds fun for the most part. Definitely prefer FV ruleset and eliminate truebox but it is what it is. A fast TLP is actually pretty neat for a change, although they probably shouldn't have labeled either hardcore or casual.
    snailish likes this.
  5. Kazz99 Elder

Really need to make the unlocks on SELO even faster, cut em in half, 2 week unlocks!

For Mangler, make it "hardcore", remove load balancing on the zones, remove all AOC instancing.... make the one guild there race for the open world spawns...
  6. Leoden New Member

I wish they would reconsider the one month expansion unlock on Selo, it doesn't leave much time for real life on a casual server. Go on vacation and you missed 1/4th of the expansion. Just adding a few more weeks to the unlocks would make it much better.

As for Mangler, no thank you, I can't imagine grinding out all that exp. It may be for some, but I have yet to meet them.
  7. Ceffener Augur

It’s not that Selo is bad, it’s that Selo is not “ultra-casual”. Just reminds me of the whole “casuals shouldn’t kill dragons”, except this time they promised casuals something and then threw sand at them while laughing.
    snailish, SweetLaxTho and Hawer like this.
  8. Roxxlyy Augur

Thank you all for leaving feedback - the team is reviewing it.
    Quixtar, Jmitch, Zinth and 24 others like this.
  9. Risiko Augur

I feel sorry for the raiders that end up on the Selo server because they're going to be playing seven days a week just to keep up with the expansion unlocks. This could very well possibly be the fastest burn out of raiders in Everquest history.
    FubarEQ likes this.
  10. Iyvy Augur

Just make Mangler normal/faster exp. That's it. No one wants slow exp. Casuals don't. Hardcores don't. That's why Hardcores are on the fast racing server, because it's a racing server, and fast exp...
    Jontrann, Renshu, SweetLaxTho and 4 others like this.
  11. Hawer Lorekeeper

Thank you!
    Crayon123 likes this.
  12. a_librarian Augur

VT twice a week hell yes
  13. Mashef Augur

Great news that it will be reviewed/corrected. Thanks
    SweetLaxTho and Crayon123 like this.
  14. Ceffener Augur

I agree to me “hardcore” for TLP is racing. If the hardcore server isn’t a real corpse run classic xp, etc etc. then hardcore will be racing. My dream was to start at classic be able to raid casually, and have unlocks/xp that doesn’t make me play 24/7.
  15. Hdizzle Augur

Lol Holy Fourms...

Just make Manglers XP agnarr-ish and call it a day. The only challenge to slow xp is finding people who want to group and grind slow xp.

Selo's is fine for what it is, a hardcore racing server. You said you would make one and good job for being a bit daring and creative.

Fix Mangler's xp so at least a few people play it.
    snailish and SweetLaxTho like this.
  16. CartoTLP Journeyman

This whole fiasco just begs the following questions: 1) does anyone at Daybreak play EQ on a TLP server?; and 2) does anyone at Daybreak have any sense of what the TLP community values?

The fact that they missed the mark so badly is mind boggling. They could have taken a poll or something if they were unsure. They could have thrown out suggested ideas and judged interest. They could have done so many things and instead release two servers that will be unpopular (relatively) from the start.

In an attempt to remain constructive and somewhat optimistic, Daybreak, please let us know your thoughts behind the rulesets and why you opted to go that route over the numerous other possibilities.
  17. practicalnurse Lorekeeper

Change Mangler to Agnar-like xp and FV style loot and I think you will see your most successful TLP yet.
    FarHelm1 and Crayon123 like this.
  18. Arrk Augur

The simple fix is to leave Selo alone, but relabel it the Hardcore server.

Then take the idea of Selo to Mangler.... Fast XP, Fast Faction, More Named.. but keep the 3 month lockouts
    Jontrann, snailish, Crayon123 and 5 others like this.
  19. Ahze Elder

If you are taking feedback, the large group of hardcores I hang out with is pleased with the Selo's server as is and would very much like that option to remain.

Do not remove the Selos setup, please. We like the fast xp, we like the fast instance resets.

The Mangler server is totally unappealing to the large majority who have voiced an opinion in our discord. Personally I am amazed you thought the Mangler option would have wide appeal, but it takes all kinds, so if it works for some great.

I normally would not make any gesture like speaking for others, but that is very much my impression from the hundreds of discord comments since the announcement.
    snailish and Hdizzle like this.
  20. Hdizzle Augur

Just let them know they forgot to make a casual server Lol.
    Lakeland, FubarEQ, Jontrann and 4 others like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.