Race and Class Combo Clash: Round One

Discussion in 'News and Announcements' started by Roshen, Dec 5, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Izcurly Augur

Hmm, I'm guessing you have your browser set to clear cookies on exit (or are doing it manually). Simple test shows voting is cookie-based, not ip-based. So much for not being able to stuff the ballot box.
  2. Muuadib Journeyman

have to agree with a couple post's here. One about the Lore of EQ and the other of missed opportunities unless as another post, ponder's Marketplace futures. But mostly the Lore being sidestepped, that to me was the primary WTH?
    Further, is this offering in new class/race combo in the place of an entirely NEW race and class? I know I'm not a very clever guy but I had hoped you cats in the right places might be able to scratch out something completely new to the game race/class wise that would offer yet further diversity to this already amazing game.
    I dream, I dream.
  3. SaderakhBertox Augur

I went with which classes I'd like to see more of in the game. I already see enough rangers, and rogues. I want more druids and bards running around, especially raiding.

I could use lore as a reason for my votes, but really, I just want more people playing the game.

As of now, druid is ahead with about 53%, and bard at 66%. I voted, then I read all 7 pages, but that should be pretty accurate.
  4. Adel New Member

Vah Shir Druid
  5. Sinlayan New Member

I'd like to see a new class all together for the Evil races. I've always wanted a Bard type class but one that chants curses and hexes. It can play similar to Bards with the exception that they focus more on chants that hurt the mob with group boosting as the secondary. Any of the evil races that cast spells can easily learn to use the chants. I think this makes more sense than a DE running around singing songs and has potential for a new class that keeps the game balanced.
  6. Yinla Ye Ol' Dragon

voting seems totally broken today, it said yesterday you could vote again today, but all it is doing is bringing up the % of who is winning.

You click on the bard and the rogue and it says thank you for voting and doesn't show the %.

This vote vote should be restarted with the amount of issues everyone has had on it.
  7. Brosa Augur

No Froglok Magicians? Froglok Zerkers? Vah Shir Monks? Vah Shir SKs?
    These I would vote for over any of the choices presented
  8. GaryDgeorge New Member

kind of said there weren't more choices or the ability to vote on multiple ones to then be bracketed down into 8. I do think the gnome bl would be kinda cool with a clockwork pet but the one that I think would be really awesome would be a drakkin beast lord with a drake pet now that would be awesome.
  9. Khanlos New Member

Dark Elf Ranger FTW!
  10. Caudyr Augur

The Journal of Aataltaal that you're referring to is actually a book that existed before that novel you're talking about was written. For that matter, I'm about 95% certain that those novels aren't actually considered canon in terms of lore, because they were not written by SoE or Verant (this quest may be velious era, given that it looks like that's the highest expansion it takes place in), but by third parties who likely didn't have much input (if any) from SoE to ensure that the lore is accurate. I could be wrong, but I am pretty darn certain that you can't consider these books as accurate lore.

In terms of the Dark Elves being a 'proud' race, they've always been proud...ever since they appeared...as far as I know. I believe this stems from the fact that they were tortured for so long by Innoruuk that they broke and he was able to fully reshape them how he wanted, and they like that now...........or something like that. ^^
    Yeah, I meant day 1 of berserkers existing, not day 1 of the game. ^^
    I get the feeling the reason they didn't put other froglok classes in is because they're already giving us Froglok Monks (bleh, imo, but whatever)..so they didn't want to give us two class openings of the same race or some crap.

The Vah Shir druid will likely continue to be Agnostic (I hope)...and simply follow "nature spirits" or something of that sort, I'm guessing.

I can't get behind dark elf rangers no matter what, personally...because it just does not fit EQ lore at all. Sure, there could be individual NPCs (as someone else mentioned) that become rangers...but I personally do not want to see that unlocked as an option.
  11. Vitterio New Member

Still.....Pally's get no love :(....well yet We feel so ignored :p
  12. Draego Augur

You are correct on this the in game item existed since Dec. 2004 (oldest posting listed by Allas concerning the item), however the book was published in Nov. 2005.

According to what I remember within the Foreword page of the book, (maybe it was the Dedication/Acknowledgement page), I recall it being mentioned that the author did indeed obtain and work with Someone on SOE staff to delve into and flesh out the lore for this book. Now I wish I still had this book so I could confirm and scan and post that piece of information.

I figured but I just wanted to make sure. =P I have made my share of mistakes on how I meant things to be read before. Other times I have been completely wrong in how/when I remember something.
  13. Yinla Ye Ol' Dragon

So wood elfs won't be beastlords they will be plantlords?

SInce when has a tree been a beast? There was plenty of animals they could have picked, so I don't understand the choice of treant.
  14. Tarrin Augur

I agree, its really odd. I dont know what animal is really native to the kelethin area from them to pick though.
    That bracket is just the Plantlord vs Botlord.
  15. Draego Augur

The following link is from in game EQ lore which coincides with lore detailed in the book EverQuest: Ocean of Tears:

http://everquest.allakhazam.com/db/quest.html?quest=2661

18 winsFarwein Windrun says 'So good to receive you again, ______. We can continue without interruption for a short time. When the Prince of Hate, Innoruuk, saw how happily and peacefully the elves lived, his ire burned like an inferno. He stole the king and queen right from their thrones in Takish-Hiz without any warning and imprisoned them in the Plane of Hate, his terrible home. Oh, I am afraid I must now return to the Faydarks for a short spell and visit my family. I have just remembered they talked about an artifact of the old elves they keep hidden. I am yearning to see it!'

36 wins
    Ruanya Windleaf says 'More about the elves? Good! King and Queen Tak'Yaliz used a great horn to signal to all of their citizens that it was time to flee their failing city. They decided it could not be saved. The elves, weary and worn, left the scorched earth that came to be known as the deserts of Ro and made their way across the Ocean of Tears to a new and fertile land. They began to settle in a forest named the Faydarks that was much like the Elddar Forest once was. What they did not know is that some of their ancestors did survive deep beneath the sands in Takish-Hiz. We must discuss this another time, friend. I have a guest coming soon and I need to prepare.'

Either way all Elves in EQ have origins going back to Takish'Hiz according the the story provided in the LDON camp missions realting to Takish'Hiz. So once again using the compilation of lore provided between the in-game context and the book, yes it is possible for a complete faction of Dark Elves to exist who did not fully take to Innoruuk's plan. It is then conceivable that an entire secluded city of Dark Elves exist somewhere on Norrath that are good. So now you have the possibility for Dark Elven Rangers, Druids, Paladin, (good) Cerics, Mages, Wizzies, Enchanters to exist.

And for SOE why not allow players to have the Geomancer class ??? In game NPC's have been learning the skills for a long time now........
  16. Draego Augur

Quick list of animal and animal like creatures in Greater Faydark

a basilisk hatchling
    a black wolf
    a coyote
    a fae drake hatchling
    a forest drakeling
    a giant sylvan bat
    a giant wasp drone
    a giant wasp warrior
    a giant wasp worker
    a large sylvan bat
    a large widow
    a sylvan bat
    a widow hatchling
    a widow matriarch
    a young coyote

Granted I do not see a Wood Elf Beastlord - master of the widow, master of the wasp, master of basilisk (already done), or a master of black wolf (boring variation of Barbarians) - the coyote and large bat still remain possibilities.

SAVE the DRAKES for Drakkin Beasties.......................................................
  17. Tarrin Augur

I don't see the coyote, because that seems too close to the barbarian..and that is probably the best option.
  18. Draego Augur

I agree, and the saddest part is that it does appear to be the best option.

Ultimately it goes right back to the options of Botanist vs Tinkertoy
  19. drizzit New Member

I think I will be voting for the vah shir druid.
  20. gcubed Augur

Adventurers, by their very nature, are a odd lot. They are not content to stay home and run the family bake shop when their parents retire. Whether they are driven by a quest for fame and riches or an all consuming curiosity about what is over the next hill, they will not stay in one place very long. They are not homebodies.

Adventurers are typically more tolerant of other races than the people they left behind (at least the seasoned adventurers are). They will even work in concert with other adventurers even if the others are racial enemies, and even form friendships with them.

Adventurers are not bound by lore as are their families, they break lore. While it is unusual to see a Dark Elf moving around safely in someplace like Kelethin, it is has been known to happen.

The short of it is, it is possible to have High Elf necromancers or Dark Elf rangers. It is unlikely that you will find a necromancer guild house in Felwithe or a ranger guild house in Neriak. Adventurers that go against the traditions of their racial home cities that much probably would have to get their initial training in some place like Crescent Reach.

As for the whole rogue/bard illusion thing. There are sixteen player races. There are fifteen racial illusion clickies currently obtainable in game. None of them are particularly dangerous to get for a high level rogue or bard, but not dangerous does not equal easy.

Finally, I have to say this:

It has publicly been stated that Guktan Monks will be introduced in March. The vote is for the NEXT (not last) new race/class combo. I am willing to bet that all the class/race combos listed in the poll will be among the first to be released and other race/class combos will be introduced after them.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.