Work in Progress: Survival Mode

Discussion in 'Concluded' started by JackFrost, Apr 25, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. CaZaNoVa New Player

I understand what you're saying, but since this is not meant to affect player progression in any way, dropping those items would completely go against that.

With league halls launching, it'd be really nice to tie the two together somehow, if you run it with your league. Maybe drop league hall only base items?
    • Like x 3
  2. TKMcClone Steadfast Player

Would be very cool if we could fight Iconics from the opposite faction and well as some of the more generic npcs.
    and... no massive floating npcs like Prime... they make my brain hurt.
    • Like x 2
  3. Notangie New Player

DO NOT MAKE IT A DPS FEST!!! Aggro, healing, cc MUST factor in to a group's success, not just da burnings (pew pew).
    • Like x 15
  4. BumblingB I got better.

I love this idea!

My requests:

Don't attach feats to the survival. Keep it strictly "for fun".
    Make the benchmarks styles that can be worn to prove they have gotten so far. Kind of like how players used to do T3/T4 as the acquired them. No stats.
    When getting higher and higher, bosses shouldn't come back. lol That is going to be hard to deal with, since I'm sure not a lot of models are in the game for some maps. It's okay for hero and villains to be fighting heroes and villains. Example, Oan Sciencells. You fight guy, then lyssa as a hero.
    • Like x 9
  5. Too Many Toons Dedicated Player

problem with that is under what names? sure if its a league run u have consensus..but pug group gets called what?
    • Like x 1
  6. Businessman Ultra Well-Known Player

Sounds pretty cool to me. Now... what about an 8-16 man free for all King Of The Hill PvP map? ;)
  7. Helios The Eternal Flame Dedicated Player

Well, Well, Well,.......look at the big brain on the Dev's. I'm impressed. Really, you guys have impressed me with this. When we don't feel like raiding, or PvP, we can do Survival Mode. This is awesome guys.

All I will say is this : I agree each arena should have a theme, as many of the aforementioned suggestions have mentioned. That being said, I don't want something that I can obtain outside this arena. Styles and/or base items would be great. I want something epic/iconic associated with said arena. For example, if we have a Prime BattleGround Survival Arena, a Prime Avatars head to hang on the Wall of our League Base. Maybe the Hands/Gauntlets that Brianiac is wearing in Prime as a style. For a Oan Science Cell, A huge Power Battery for our Base, Lantern Based Furniture, or for Style a Alpha Lantern Type armor that's totally different than anything we have in-game. For Themyscira/Wonder Woman some type of Armor style that is based on the Titans of Myth or The Olympian Gods. We could even have trinkets based around these themes as well, almost like the Boos. For Green/Yellow Lanterns Constructs, for Red Lanterns Dex-Starr, etc. These are things not necessary for progression, but are similar to what we get in seasonals. Marks/Exobytes are ok, but really don't do it for me. The epic/iconic styles and base items would. I want to be wearing a style and someones says,..."OH S&*T !, Where did you get that I've never seen it ?" And then you : "SURVIVAL MODE!!!!!"
  8. PhantomLore New Player

I Think the rewards should be locked like this.. I do not know if anyone made a post similar to this didn't read everyone's, but
    if you completed wave 10 and die you get blank rewards. But if you try again and die at wave 10 again you will not receive any.
    but if you last until wave 20 the 3rd try you get the wave 20 reward so basically what I am saying is you are locked each reward level.
    you will not get anymore rewards until you get to wave 30 after finishing 20.
    • Like x 2
  9. VillNess Well-Known Player

Fuuuuuuuuu... I need to fix my laptop.. I'm using PS4's browser and after writing a long text I hit delete on keyboard at wrong place and boom back to previous page and all the text lost D:

Anyways, I love this idea! I'm so excited about it! Here's my thoughts:

1. Rewards. As this will not be for progressing in game no rewards of Marks, Feat points or gear that has stats. Only visual items (Styles, toy/fun trinkets (more music trinkets perhaps? ;) ), base items). Also that one idea someone said of having Survival marks is good too. The vendor to use them on should have items specific to it and the drops should be only acquired by drops in the mode.

2. Loot lock. If there's gonna be lock it should be by waves or milestones. That lock should be daily and perhaps the hardest waves/milestones being weekly? About unlocking/replaying. Instead of Replay badges how about Marks of Triumphs? With the upcoming cap of 175 000 there will be enough Triumphs for monthly rents etc. and many players will reach the cap and have nothing to spend them on. So you could replay Survival Mode with MoTriumphs. How does this sound? I'm curious to hear comments on this!

3. Queue and Teleport at HQ. There should be both. Queue for ease of use for people farming exos etc. and teleport at HQ for people going with less people for quick loot or to test themselves (also Deathmike, waiting for your videos ;) ).

Can't wait to see how this idea evolves!

PS. (off-topic)
    FNL soon (yay!) and please NEVER ADD NEW 4 PLAYER OPERATIONS. hate them. Mainly because how they put you to HQ or Mogo/Ranx after the instance and they're daily/quick so it's quite annoying trying to farm exos etc. when doing these... So please only make 4 player alerts and leave operations for 8 players, thanks :)
    • Like x 1
  10. ChaosInternational New Player

Make it a new daily with solo, duo, group and raid setups. Rewards should scale with difficulty, so an exceptional recovery kit or a rare drop that's specific to the theme is deeper in the run. If it's lanterns, give a lantern themed style or (new idea) power specific trinket.

Outside of a sweet power specific trinket, no armor drops, just styles and consumables.

As for the content itself, I hope it's more than just spawn waves of multiple enemies. Mini bosses should happen in stages, taking on a beefed up iconic for the loot drops that I'm sure don't drop for killing swarms....

I'll chime in after further analysis.
    • Like x 1
  11. Deogen New Player

What about a global leader board??? The leagues that have gotten the farthest an lasted the longest get some special reward kinda different from the normal rewards we would receive for just doin the challenge..or something along those lines.
    • Like x 1
  12. Judgmental Jolt Well-Known Player

I hate DPS fest, but I don't agree with this. The content shouldn't be designed to make it IMPOSSIBLE for a burnt fest to make it through. I do think that there should be NO enrage timers though. I think maximum progression should allow various strategies, whether that be burn through or a slower pace with extra roles/armories. It should be up to the group to decide what they feel is most effective with their own particular 8 slots. My group won't have solo heals, because I like cconsistency and stability. Maybe yours might not need that. Maybe 8 tanks want to try to slow burn through for ultra survivability
    • Like x 5
  13. Vixen Well-Known Player

This is awesome news!
    • Like x 2
  14. spack2k Steadfast Player

15. Sodam Yat Dedicated Player

Epic idea devs, this has been sought after for soooooo long, since the PVE challenges on FNL started I think.

The general consensus for rewards seems to be tipping towards Styles.
    My idea is this though, if this prototype is successful and is here to stay, then maybe have a rotation of themed Survival Modes with equally themed Style rewards.

Take for instance the prototype, its set in Oan Sciencells and is Lantern themed. Now we all know that Iconic Emblems are out, but instead how about Iconic Inspired gear? Like the lockbox New 52 gear but maybe based on the Pre 52 heroes/villains linked to that set theme?

The prototype rewards could be like
    Lvl 10 Star sapphire inspired chest
    lvl 30 Sodam yat inspired chest
    lvl 50 larfleeze inspired chest
    lvl 70 Nekron inspired chest
    etc etc

And if the prototype goes well, you could have Amazon survival, Kryptonian survival, Arkham survival. All with Styles connected to and inspired by characters from that lore.

If this happened, id just explode lol.
  16. RageOfHeaven1990 New Player

I personally think that it should be something that doesn't get loot locked (hopefully loot will be limited to stuff like styles or base items). That way people can use it as a training room in a sense, optimizing loadouts etc.. Also, it would help you guys in getting feedback on powerset balances.

That way a lot of the information presented in the threads concerning those matters may be more factual vs a one and done PUG group and using that as the basis of the arguments.
    • Like x 1
  17. tukuan Devoted Player

Perhaps something like the old faction gear, where you needed to have a certain level of renown to buy a piece of gear. So have a vendor where at X waves you can only buy the gloves/feet/waist, Y the back/shoulders/head and Z the chest/legs. Finally if you beat the highest number maybe a logo or weapon style. Probably would still have some other cost associated (MoT??) with the items but that is secondary to their availability (ie you can't just grind these out).

I get what you are saying about feats and really I'm on the fence on that topic. However a feat counter would be the easiest way with the existing UI to monitor your current highest wave count. Otherwise they'd have to alter the UI for just this one feature. So if they wanted to lean away from this as a SP contributor they could make them just 10 pointers which even if there were 5 milestones for waves would still be just a drop in the bucket for total SP.
    • Like x 1
  18. BumblingB I got better.

It is meant for fun and not for character development. You shouldn't get a feat nor gear as both develop it. Remember, there are people that don't like group content nor would they enjoy this. It should be optional, attaching a feat means it no longer IS.

I know what you mean on counter, but I would rather they adjusted the UI than force this. I like the concept, it seems fun, but forcing me to do it means it's work and I don't like that.
    • Like x 2
  19. CCBatson Dedicated Player

I probably would never play this, but I am in support of it, and think that as someone else suggested, rewards should be things like Repair Bots, Scanners, and other little perks that don't have feats or SP attached to them.
    • Like x 2
  20. Loche Developer

Thanks for the feedback everyone. I wanted to reiterate how this first round is a prototype, so not all of your suggestions will make it in. But we will continue to monitor feedback during development and when it goes live.

It seems like most people are discussing rewards. When this goes live, there will be no leader board, but that doesn't mean there never will be one. Right now we are thinking of giving Marks of Triumph out as rewards, likely per wave. That way if you only get to wave 3, before you wipe, you can try again and start getting Marks again at wave 4. If you want to unlock before that, sure go ahead. The reason we chose MoT is because you need them to maintain your mainframe and utility belt. We do not want to give out rewards that advance your character.

Just remember that this first version is a test and our main focus is to make it fun.
    • Like x 27
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.