WM Ruined Dueling

Discussion in 'Battle of the Legends (PvP)' started by Ethromel, Jul 18, 2014.

1. winter13 New Player

You arent considering all the factors involved, you are just looking at the damage numbers.
  2. Ljubinka Well-Known Player

and what are those factors included in situation when u one shot your enemy with big crit from wm? personally, im not proud or feel good about my play when i one shot someone in duel with wm.
  3. Alex Denton Dedicated Player

Hello people :)

I read the 5 pages, but skipped a few comments about people being disrespectful to each others. So If also skipped important information on the actual OP here, sorry :-(

Anyway : weapon mastery ruined dueling

I'm sorry to say I've never experienced what you describe here, someone starting a WM combo and landing the hit right at the start of the fight. I would say getting the timing right probably takes some skill, but nevermind.
    I've used WM many times in duel, AFTER it started, and I've learned to hard way that is takes skills to make it effective. At first I kept getting blocked, and add to adapt. I couldn't find the right timing.And then I trained with the holo-dummies, and I find the right sequences of attacks, on that would have my WM final hit land as the enemy is stunned/knocked off so I can't be blocked. It changed my tactics, yes, but it was fun to find new ones. And since I've learned so much about those combos, I usually see them coming and prepare accordingly.
    It does take skills to use them. Just as it takes skills to counter them. They are not game breaking, they do not give an unfair advantage or make the game unbalanced. That is my opinion.
    I didn't like when I was dueling against someone who had them and not me, but then I don't like dueling againt someone in top tier armor when I myself only have the T1 set. But hey, that guy spent more time on his toon, and If I'm good enough, I can still compensate.
  4. danzig999 Active Player

ruined dueling? wm has ruined pvp period it is single dumbest idea by SOE since their combat revamp back in SWG ages ago. Whoever designed wm at soe either showed *zero* regards to pvp or is a complete moron. Neither one is reassuring.
  5. danzig999 Active Player

thats pretty much way pvp goes now a days when dealing with multiple people...god forbid you dont see the guy who is about to range wm before he even thinks about doing it because if you dont you are probably dead. WM encourages absolutely no skill, no learning of game mechanics and for alot of people a complete disregard to even using any power that isnt a buff. What you think the random derp who you dueled pre wm and lost every duel vs you suddenly got good because the game decided his damage roll was 12k.
  6. Giggles Loyal Player

WM is fine. Keep in mind PvP gear has not been balanced or brought in line with weapon mastery yet. When the PvP update hits in GU40 or 41, you will then most likely see how awesome WM is. Although currently, I have no issues with WM in PvP, I would not be surprised if PvP gear has a significant health and toughness increase due to WM, and also keep in remember that many of the role vs role debuffs are going away, and all gear will be equal for all roles with the exception of mods. A lot of exciting changes coming to PvP soon. :)
  7. danzig999 Active Player

And all 3 people left pvping in the game can enjoy those exciting changes. You do realize how absurd it is to introduce such a broken system into game and then go don't worry we will fix it in half a year give or take afew months. How long did we wait for 90 pvp gear again? wm balancing coming in late 2015!
  8. danzig999 Active Player

Because the damage numbers say it's broken.
  9. Giggles Loyal Player

The thing is, it is t broken. I have no trouble with WM in PvP currently. If they left it as is, I'd be fine. I'm just saying that the people complaining about PvP being broken, need to relax, and wait for the devs to implement the new changes and gear in GU40 or 41 as confirmed by the devs. :)
  10. Alex Denton Dedicated Player

I'm really with you there. But I worry about the dev "fixing" it. But hey, I loved every evolution this game had so far, so I'll just hope for the best.

The problem is, those damages are not unavoidable. If you just stay there and do nothing, you'll get smoked, but it'll be all your fault.
    I do more damage with Fireburst than with my WM combos, should I not use FireBurst too? Even though, just like with WM combos, it can be blocked/avoided/interupted?
  11. danzig999 Active Player

Then you arent doing it right if you do more with a power then wm and try group pvp or open world pvp and see how 'avoidable' it s.
  12. Alex Denton Dedicated Player

What do you mean not doing it right? It's a combo, you either do it or not. Here are some screen shots, maybe there are numbers hidden, maybe I'm not interpreting it right, but here is what I base my observations on. That and the speed at which my enemies health go down :

This is the damage done by the uppercut mastery (Martial art/Hand blast)
    [IMG]

This is the damage done in the same role, by the same toon, with the same gear, with fire burst :
    [IMG]

WM : 406
    FireBurst : 718

Now if you want to add the two melee strikes + the cartwheel kick, you add about 240. So WM does 646 in total. I'm not gonna flood this page with screenshots but I've done this test many times, and the scales don't change much. Now all of the WM combo don't hit the same, but those that do the most damage are the slowest/easiest to interupt.

Since I wanted to be sure, I cleared my combat log and went on a 1 on 1 PVP match. My adversary (RainDronel) and I had the same T1 pvp gear. It was pretty tied but I lost.

My damage on the match : 76293
    His : 76143

Here are our charts, straight from the combat log (It says mastery everywhere because we've both mastered our weapons, the real WM combos are listed below):
    [IMG]

[IMG]

Etoile Filante (me) :
    WM Combos : Uppercut /Power blast
    My WM combos did 17548 damage (23 % of my total damage)
    My top damage came from a power (Inferno) and my blocking.

RainDronel :
    WM Combos : Spinning punch /Smoke bomb
    As you can see, his WM combos inflicted me 17978 damage (also 23 % of his damage)
    His top damage came from Smoke bomb and kick launcher.
    He used his WM combos 13 times, me 14.

You can check the rest of the numbers, but it's pretty clear the WM combos are parts of our strategies, but we also still use melee, range, powers and the other combos. And the blocking. A lot.
    WM isn't breaking anything, it makes things more complex. I will now try to get into a group pvp match and present the sharts.
    Now I'm not an expert, maybe I'm iterpreting things wrong. You got all the numbers, if you want to point out what I'm reading wrong, please do so.
    Also, what about group PVP and open world PVP? Do you mean when you get smarmed by other players? Well then yeah, unless you're super good you're screwed. But it's true even without WM. If you can't protect yourself (stun, lying down, held by telekinesis or whatever, maybe just too many enemies to see the attack comming) they you'll die, by powers of normal ombos or WM combos.
    • Like x 1
  13. Giggles Loyal Player

That's just it though, open world PvP is not real PvP. The Arena is. In Arena we have crit caps, so you can't hit for 10k in the arenas like you can out in the open world. I'm also a huge supporter of the devs placing the same crit caps out in the world (at least for PvP phase only). To make Frits uniform in both the open world and PvP phase.

There are too many variables in open world that skew balance. The crit caps not being equal to Arena, is the biggest thing that skews balance in the open world. If you want to really duel someone, take them into a scrimmage 1v1, or queue for 1v1 Arena yourself. Open world PvP the majority of the time, is who can swarm who, better. Come on now, I thought you were talking about real PvP. :)
  14. Alex Denton Dedicated Player

Actually I didn't know about that. Interesting. Maybe that's precisely what Ethromel was talking about when he said WM dealt huge damages in duel. Thanks for that piece of information. I should try to do a few duels and take another look at the logs.
  15. Giggles Loyal Player

Yeah , but the thing is it has been this way for quite sometime. It was one of the earlier Game Updates. WM has not ruined dueling, again it all depends where you choose to duel. If you duel in an Arena, you don't have to worry about 10k crits. Even out in the world, I have yet to be hit harder than 5k on a crit. If you block and use the right mods, you do not have to worry about WM out in the open world.

Although I do feel they should just make it all uniform and impose the crit caps in the Arena out in the open world also, at least for the PvP phase. This would help everyone get on the same page who does not know about the crit caps that currently exist in the Arena, but do not exist in the open world. Like you said though, if you know how to defend yourself and use counters, it really isn't a big problem, but I would like to see those crit caps balanced in both areas of PvP. :)
  16. Alex Denton Dedicated Player

I hear you. Having different rules for PVP and PVE is one thing, but having different types of PVP is just confusing. Aligning the whole PVP phase under the normal PVP rules would make sense to me. That way we can really have a different experience depending on what phase we are in ... I think I saw a suggestion thread somewhere I'm gonna check if this has been discussed before, could be interesting.
    • Like x 1