WM Ruined Dueling

Discussion in 'Battle of the Legends (PvP)' started by Ethromel, Jul 18, 2014.

1. willflynne 10000 Post Club

Ok, read through the thread, read the complaints and the arguments. My response?

You're surprised by this how? o_O

PvP has never been my cup of tea. If I can, I avoid it because there are other ways I'd prefer to spend my time in-game. However, when I do go into PvP, it's with the same mentality as if I was playing PvE content: I'm in it to win. That means I'm going to use anything and everything at my disposal to win the fight. If I end up winning, awesome. If not, I learn from my mistakes and move on.

Players will find and use anything that they feel will give them an advantage or leg-up on the competition, regardless of the type of content. It doesn't surprise me in the least that some might try and pre-load attacks (for lack of a better term) via WM for a duel. If they feel it helps, and more importantly it works for them, they'll use it. I wouldn't blame them in the least for continuing to use it if it brings them success.

As far as whether or not it makes them "unskilled," all I can think of is an incident I had way back in the arcade days. I was playing along on a Killer Instinct machine when someone joined in to fight me. Problem was, the guy who joined in kept on following the same patterns and trying the same attacks over and over again. All it took for me to win was to be patient and use a simple sliding attack to knock him down when he landed and do some damage. Was it a particularly skilled attack? Heck no, but it worked. I won, he moved on and I finished out my session.

The whole thing almost comes across as some of the complaints that popped up in the past about use of colas or other items in duels.
    • Like x 1
  2. Ethromel Well-Known Player

DO YOU SEE PEOPLE? Here it is again. Another person being disrespectful because they think they can or that it's okay, and then when I say something to this.... I'm wrong right?

Dude, I never said "I didn't care about losing." You're already off to a bad start misquoting me. I did say that "this isn't about me losing because I usually win." I did say that. For the record I do care about losing, but that's not the point. It's how a person loses- that's the point. Another thing.... there is nothing genuine about your foolish reply that I have a right to speak against, despite my preference.

Understand that a bunch of fools agreeing with each other are nothing but a bunch agreeing to be fools, so just stop. You just came in to the conversation and already decided to start verbally attacking me.

I would call you a smart-you know what, but that would be complimenting you. So I have something better since you have such a big mouth. How about you prove this to me in-game since you think you're such a veteran on the topic. I'm more than happy to show you how lacking you are, and I bet you just like everyone else I've ever dueled you can't beat me without using WM. That in itself will prove that its the go-to move mechanic for scrubs like yourself.

Hopefully you accept, and if not, then shut it.
    • Like x 1
  3. Sodam Yat Dedicated Player

How many ppl is that that have been "disrespectful" so far?
    Actually nevermind, I'll just go back and count how many ppl disagreed with you for that number.

Your right though, I have absolutely no respect for the true fool in this thread; The guy complaining because hes losing Duels due to the fact that he was foolish enough to do them in PVE Gear, and is trying to pass it off as "Weapon Masterys Fault" lol.

As I said, what a pointless thread this became after that little reveal.
  4. Ethromel Well-Known Player

I've definitely adapted to a lot of the mechanics in the game in my over three years experience with it, but I personally don't like adopting that type of style in combat. When I win there is never a mistake as to my level of prowess. I have made many friends on the strength of me not stooping to their tactics, overcoming them, and then winning. Because of my avoidance of these simple approaches to winning, I have never considered a typical or regular player. Not many people on here can claim this. Then again many don't care and it shows, which is why features like this will continue to thrive. And people wonder why the game feels so easy and or is over-populated with unskilled players. That's not an attack on anyone particular, that's just my opinion based on my own experiences.
  5. Ethromel Well-Known Player

That's what I thought fool.
  6. Ethromel Well-Known Player

While you're at it, if you're not biased, READ how many people I was respectful and polite to that showed it as well- if it's not above you.
  7. willflynne 10000 Post Club

What I get from this response is this: you're annoyed/upset/whatever because other people aren't playing as honorably as you are. I'll admit it's entirely possible I'm reading more into it than that, but it does kind of reinforce my thoughts that it's like the complaints about cola use in duels; it wasn't honorable, it was cheap, only noobs uses that tactic, etc etc etc. And to put it bluntly, you don't get points/credit/Marks for fighting honorably. You get them for winning, and players will do what they feel is necessary and within the rules to do so, regardless of what you think about their skill level.

No one says you have to like it. But if such tactics are allowed by the devs AND bring players success, then there's not much you can do but dislike it, and it doesn't necessarily mean that it's ruining anything. It just means you don't like it.
  8. chubbychase New Player

True. I thought I'd try and help anyway since there's a known occurrence with some weapons after WM was implemented, MA being one of them, but then I saw he decided to just counter one paragraph and ignore anything else in there. Oh well, that's what I get.

Most duels already start that way, and WM is usually used after a successful counter--it can also be countered for some weapon moves. I understood your contradictory argument before you imposed the question I could myself impose to you, the way you replied to that post. "Do you get what I'm saying?" Then again, I should read badname's words and take it as advice...this is the last post of much time "a-wasted." Good luck with your quarrels.
  9. badname8 New Player

ROFL just start over. Seriously. You're entire post is about how i was responding to your response to winter whoever as you say. This is fallacious. I was responding about your response to EVERYONE that didn't swallow what you were trying to sell.

As far as your articulation, your op and any subsequent posts are two completely different things. You may have been articulate in one, while in the other you fell far short of that goal. It happens, especially when feelings are involved, which has been evident since your 2nd post in this thread. Hell if you had articulated yourself as well as you believe you have in the first post there'd be no one posting things that didn't accord with what you wanted, and no one to get upset over the fact that while you say you'll "respect individual views"...you actually do not. If you do not believe this, I suggest you search these very forums for posters that, while they have gone beyond the comfort levels of most with their complaints, they get nothing but posts saying, "I see what you mean"

As far as your, "ppl need to show respect and ill give it back" the problem with statements like that is that most of the time the people rifling that meme off fail to realize that disrespect is an EFFECT, not a cause. You seem to understand this when it's you being disrespected but seem to be completely clueless as to how it applies to others. If you (or anyone) felt disrespected, its probably because you offended someone first or you're just extra defensive because someone challenged your "baby". Regardless of what you may think there are very very few people that disrespect just for the sake of disrespecting. Your rule doesn't just apply to everyone else, it applies to you as well.

Don't like to argue your view? Don't start conversations with other people regarding that view. Don't want people getting offended when you argue against valid views? Don't brush those views off as ignorant rambling...right after you say you'll respect the views of others.

This isn't DC Universe of One(and all that agree), it's DC Universe Online. As such you can't even really keep claiming you didn't ask for any of this. It was cute the first time so I didn't mention it but...this is what forums are designed for and YOU decided to use a forum.

FYI I only respond to things I've read. That way I actually know what I'm talking about. You might want to take notes. That way you won't have to type posts like this in the first place. Life is like looking in a mirror ;)
  10. Sodam Yat Dedicated Player

Lool sorry but if your too lazy to go learn the difference between Defence and Toughness then why would I waste my time with anything you suggest? Your in no position to give advice because you, in front of everyone, admitted that you were wearing PVE gear in these duels lol.

The problem has nothing to do with WM whatsoever, the problem is you went into these duels with the wrong gear XD
    If you wanna duel in the wrong gear? Feel free to, judging by your attitude you deserve to lose a lot, just dont cry when ppl who wear the correct gear and Clearly understand PVP mechanics better than you do beat you easily.
  11. Sodam Yat Dedicated Player

Its such a pity you reduced yourself to name-calling, kind of hypocritical really. You slag my intelligence yet you resort to a method the dull-minded usually use when they cant manage to "use words" lol.

Anyway, if 3 pages of having to defend your point of view doesnt tell you that your straight-up wrong, I guess nothing and nobody ever will be able to. Funny though huh? In all your replies you never once attempted to address the whole "PVE gear is obviously crap for Duels" topic or how thats the real problem. Coincidence.

Anyway have fun getting KOd by better players rookie :)
    Im done wasting time on you. PM me in a year when you realise that PVP gear is for PVP content, including Duels, and ill forward on the obligatory "I told ya so".
  12. Ethromel Well-Known Player

With regards to articulation.... Don't be petty; especially when you can see it's not common. Your exaggeration is not appreciated seeing as how I did not respond adversely to everyone that disagreed. Take your lies and insinuations elsewhere. I swear you come off like a pretentious half-wit that thinks because he can articulate, that what he writes makes sense. Have you ever written a report? If so, I'm sure you know that professors expect you to substantiate your claims. You nor any of your peanut gallery can or could. So I ask you? Why... are.... you.... still... here? This is my thread- I have a reason.

All I've read in a nutcase shell is how badly I express myself, I'm crying, I need to practice, wear PvP gear, practice what I preach, how offended you are or I got. All this about me, but not much about how WM affected you overall, and whether or not you have experienced it power. Only a handful have respected my efforts to have a halfway decent conversation about something I had an issue with. No.... You sir, like to talk for people, attack them, and think it's not okay to be addressed in the same manner.

See, you don't have to agree with me, but the least you and some others could have done was have the decency to ONLY talk about what I mentioned, given your well thought out opinions on why you DON'T think WM has ruined dueling. But NOOOOO, most of you want to tell me how to band-aid the issue, but no one is giving a darn reason why it has not messed up the combat feature. Hence my mention of comprehension, which you'd be surprised how many lack. I'd rather not say this, but it's truth, and I'm sure you've had your fair share of knuckle-heads. You probably think that's me at the moment, but I'm immune to your insults.

Since I know that you're well aware that arguing with me accomplishes nothing. Why are you here? Are you trying to tell me off? Do you need someone to pat you on the back and tell you how impressed they are with your ability to articulate? We both articulate. The difference between you and I, is I think before I speak- you not so much. You talk first and then think about what you said or wrote. There is no victory to be had here so try someone else. I know for a FACT that I said nothing wrong that wasn't warranted. So you keep rolling around in your laughter, but you might find a better joke in the mirror.
  13. badname8 New Player

My claims are substantiated all over this thread. Just reread it. Ignore the names of the people that have agreed with you or your responses to them. Look at the names of the people you've responded to who haven't agreed with you. You don't even have to look very hard. Again, I'll reiterate that it's been seen from your second post in this thread. Your very second post was a response to one of the people you feel you have been offended by (going by the rules of how people do or do not disrespect you that you stated earlier). Since then each and every post you've made to someone that disagreed with your point has been worse and worse.

I'm not trying to impress you with my articulation. If you thought I was I have news for you - I know I'm stupid. We wouldn't be having this conversation right now if I was able to properly articulate myself. It would have been over after I implied, "You might want to actually respect peoples views, like you claim you will, if you want this thread to go anywhere" which was in my very first post. But..alas...here we are, at least 5 posts later, with you thinking I'm trying to impress you with my intelligence and your thread derailed for over 2 pages with MULTIPLE people arguing, not your point, but how you decide to make that point. So sad.

Why am I here? The same reason most people are here...except now it has nothing to do with the view expressed in the OP. For the record I was never arguing your point. In fact my first post was an indirect attempt to get you to keep your thread alive by allowing discussion and not kill the thread by limiting discussion.
  14. Ethromel Well-Known Player

You're right "I don't have to like it". But that's what the forum is for.... For me to state my complaints, and if someone else happens to agree with my experience, and if enough people complain, maybe a change will come.
  15. Ethromel Well-Known Player

Yep it is sad, and I really don't care, but dude I'm sorry but you have to be "stupid" by yourself. I can't keep going over this foolishness.
  16. Ethromel Well-Known Player

Many people have disliked things about this game over the years; it doesn't change the fact that people kept playing. So queues and such aren't a good judge. There was nothing wrong with me saying "Nah, it just ruined dueling." Nothing at all.
  17. badname8 New Player

Didn't you get the memo? Monkey see monkey do. I came to your thread for stimulating discussion. I left, as you say, being "stupid" by myself. Lol. Oh the irony.
  18. badname8 New Player

Never said there was. Dude that post is literally 2 quotes of your responses to 2 different people with my thoughts on each. You seem to have applied both statements to the one quote, completely ignoring the other, but you demand that others have expert reading comprehension in order to discuss the OP with you?
  19. Ethromel Well-Known Player

Obviously I do.
  20. Ethromel Well-Known Player

Murphy's Law and all that jazz.