What DC Characters Can't Be Built In DCUO?

Discussion in 'Gotham City (General Gameplay)' started by Olovan, Sep 7, 2013.

1. SuperiorMouse New Player

ALL characters who's primary method of attacking or defending using punches/kicks martial arts etc; are ALL categorized as physical powerset characters. regardless of their level of strength (super or not) or even if they use a melee weapon.

he is a physical powerset character. his primary method of attacking himself and defending himself is physical. he punches with super strength developed from deep sea pressures. he also has marine telepathy and the trident to round out his attack types.
  2. WonderCleric New Player

Yes, but I was only pointing out that Aquaman didn't/doesn't have any hydrokinetic or sorcerous powers. (unlike his wife Mera) His Trident can manipulate the ocean and I'm pretty sure creates lightning as well.

If there ever is a physical powerset, I'm sure they will be given that power along with their iconic abilities.
  3. SuperiorMouse New Player

last time i checked, he did, but i may be wrong. i'd have to re-read Aquaman 52 to confirm. Spytle himself is the largest Aquaman fan on the forum, so he could correct me if I'm wrong. lol
  4. WonderCleric New Player

I'm a pretty big Aquaman fan myself, and besides physical based powers (and his famous ability to redirect the instincts of sea life to do his bidding) his power comes from his Trident of Neptune which has numerous magical capabilities. However, I do believe he did have sorcery at one point, but it was retconned or taken away.
  5. Mirai Well-Known Player

He's still not hydrokinetic. Mera has always been the hydrokinetic one.

I don't think the game makes any real attempt to mirror the capabilities of the characters in DC Comics, with the possible exception of Hard Light, and even that's intentionally limited. DCUO was developed to be a balanced action game, and the DC characters were kludged into the system. The devs added in the iconic powers to give some taste of the DC setting.

There are very few DC characters who I could match up to what the game currently offers.
  6. SuperiorMouse New Player

according to his bio entry most of his abilities are native atlantean but because he has a duo genetics he's more like a super atlantean. and then on top of that he has his trident with it's properties.

i could have swore he was retconned to have hydro kinesis but his entry doesn't say that so. oh well.

the issue is not one of balance at all -- that's very much irrelevant. anyone asking for a physical powerset isn't suggesting that they get some all powerful god mode powerset. the issue is one of immersion. a powerset like this is required to portray these types of character concepts both with appropriate visuals and playstyle.
  7. Archangel Rafael New Player

I have been playing since OCT10 2010. The devs did indeed say exactly all of that during beta. Since the beta forums aren't accessible, obviously no one can "source" anything from them. However, I believe that you are simply a liar. If you were in beta you would remember me. My character/forum name has not changed. PM Longhorn Tex, Ivanko or InfinityMan and ask them about me or these issues. You remember any of them from beta?

If you were in the VIP (the one with Lvl30 and raids) beta, you know that "might and mastery powerset" (what the proponents called it back then) and "can we haz more colors in our costumes!?!" are the oldest, deadest issues in the history of DCUO.

Those 2 issues raged on and on no matter how many ways the devs tried to explain that it wasn't happenin. No matter how elementary the explaination, the petulant, entitled game-nerds argued like spoiled children who never had to take "no" for an answer before.

So, either you weren't in beta or you are some weirdo that is still carrying this ridiculous torch for this issue after 3+ years even though you know you are flogging a horse that's been dead since before the game went live.
  8. Mirai Well-Known Player

Well, I meant that the devs never cared about immersion as far as powerset selection goes. Until the Hard Light powers, they didn't try to mirror the abilities of characters in the comics, outside of the iconic powers. They were only worried about making a fun action game (not an immersive RPG), and hammered DC into it.
  9. Archangel Rafael New Player

^^^ finally someone who gets it. I just don't understand why so many have such a hard time with this concept. DC is not an RPG. Its an action/arcade "beat 'em up" type game. "Double Dragon" not "Baldur's Gate".

If an RPG is what you want you should go platy something else (CoH?) rather than try to force a square peg into a round hole.
  10. SuperiorMouse New Player

that's subjective. we could go back and forth on that.

immersion may or may not have been important to the devs in the past (or certain ones). either way, things change. we are no longer catering to the vocal minority wanting elite level difficulty anymore as an example.

last time i checked Double Dragon was a side scrolling linear fixed level 2 player game. DCUO is an MMO with a free roaming environment, comprehensive gear and styles systems and not only is it more than 2 players, it also doesn't end -- it's an organic ongoing simulated world. and it happens to have an action game combat system -- in fact that is the only thing it has in common with a fighter game like Double Dragon, Street Fighter, Killer Instinct, Tekken etc. it has more in common with an RPG than an action game.

if you want an action game, it is you who should look elsewhere.
  11. Burning_Baron Loyal Player

People People. It's an ARPG. Why can't debates remain light hearted on the forums sigh...
  12. Mirai Well-Known Player

I would love for this game to be far more immersive. I prefer an RPG style setting. I appreciate any efforts in that direction.

And I would love to be able to match DC characters to the game much more than I can now.
    • Like x 1
  13. unstoppable New Player

I completly agree with this.
  14. Archangel Rafael New Player

DCUO is a beat-em-up action game. Yep its modern with 3D and multi-player, but it's an action game. It's UnReal3 with capes. There's no "persistent world". SWG had a persistent world. I've played immersive sandbox video-RPGs and DCUO is about as far from an RPG as possible short of 1st person shooters. Some of those have some gear-customizing elements. Doesn't make them RPGs. DCUO is not even close to an immersive RPG.(jeezuz I cant believe this is still going on after 3 years) Moar pew-pew less QQ.

SF2, KI & Tekken are tournament fighters(games) , so that's a whole different animal but Ill just move past that.

I wanted an action game and I got one in DCUO.I'm not the one complaining.

You're the one with the complaint, so you get the "if you don't like it, tough" answer. I have no complaint with the powers or lack of immersion in DCUO so I will keep playing. See how that works?

You must know that this suggestion for a powerset has been around since before the game went live. I already told you the dev's stated reasons for not adding this. You must know that the devs have been aware of this the whole time. You can't possibly think that the devs just never thought of it until this thread brought it to their attention.

If you don't believe what I told you, then what do you think is the reason there's not a "might & mastery" powerset? What makes you think that now the devs will change their minds and add this now? ... or is it just that you don't understand when you don't get what you want?

in any case, I'm done here. Some people will just never get it. I was trying to help by explaining. I have no dog in this fight. You wanna argue, you can argue with SOE. They're the ones you have to convince. People been trying to convince them to make this powerset since beta day-1. After you get this powerset you can convince them to allow 4+ colors in the costumes followed by the litany of other things that would make this more of an immersive RPG and less of a beat-em-up action game. Good luck with that. (lolz)
  15. SuperiorMouse New Player

lol you called it an action / arcade game and now you're going to draw a distinction between a side scroller vs tournament fighters? fine. i should have said Contra or even X-men arcade. lol. split any hair you like, without the combo combat system this game is a typical MMO in every way. you just lost any possible credibility.

i'm not complaining. i'm voicing the desire shared by many, to add more commonly wanted features and content to the game.

you're complaining about us because you're afraid the game will change into something you don't want. frankly, i could care less. your demographic isn't the target market.

Infinite Crisis is that way *points* if you want a 3D beat-em-up game. that's what that game is designed for. enjoy :)
  16. Hero Alpha Well-Known Player

Hero Alpha said:
    “I only read the OP so I am sure its been covered but Aquaman doesn't actually control water or use it to fight. All you need is staff and whatever to get Aquaman, not perfect but close. Ice or mental maybe? Just use mostly movement powers in acro.”

SuperiorMouse said:
    "classic aquaman is a physical powerset character. n52 aquaman is hydrokinetic."

I have read all the new 52 Aquaman and he cannot control water. Sorry had some quote/reply issues.
  17. Archangel Rafael New Player

ah yes, the "im the majority" argument. Lolz what do you know about my demographic or SOE market-targeting or anything? lolz

you still don't get it. Im not complaining about you or anything.

look around. 3D beat-em-up game is what this game is designed for.

wouldnt bother me a bit if they made a "might/mastery" set. I actually asked for this way back in beta. Then some dev explained why they didn't want to do it so I accepted their reasoning. I was only trying to pass the reasons along to the newer players here. Some people can't understand the word "no" I guess.

lemme know when that might&mastery set shows up. !'ll be 1st in line to make a character.

In the mean time, be honest with people and acknowledge that this is something that has been asked for a million times since the start of DCUO and the devs addressed it and said "no" a long, long time ago.

3 years and counting. the next year worth of powers is already designed, so tell me when do you think this we might expect this game-changing new powerset?
  18. Disruptor Well-Known Player

Back to the OP question.

T: D :H: D the Mad God of Sector 3600(Mogo and Ranx are puny compared to this guy)
    The Crocodile Men from Shazam
    Mr. Mind
    Robby Reed(Dial H for Hero)
    As Plastic Man was brought up, Metal Men
    B'wanna Beast
    Ambush Bug

and of course the one that would break the game badly:
    Ultra the Multi-Alien

Asymetrical beyond belief, uses more than three colors in his uniform, has four different powersets.

Each quarter of him is a different alien
  19. DaKrushmor Loyal Player

Add to List please

Firestorm - no Atomic powerset
    The Atom - no Atomic powerset
    Captain Atom (not former) - no Atomic powerset
    Atomic Skull - no Atomic powerset
    Atom Smasher - no Atomic powerset
    Metallo - no Atomic powerset
    Radioactive man - no Atomic powerset
    Atomic Knight - no Atomic powerset
  20. DaKrushmor Loyal Player

Yeah personally i preferred to Powers, that can't be emulated with others goes first!

Physical - can be emulated by Earth
    Red Lantern - can be emulated by Fire
    Darkness - can be emulated by Celestial (Cursed)
    Cosmic - can be emulated by Quantum
    Wind - can be emulated by Ice (Storms)
    Atomic - CAN'T be emulated
    Water - CAN'T be emulated

So I preferred if they put Atomic & Water first & only then start to deepen!!!