What DC Characters Can't Be Built In DCUO?

Discussion in 'Gotham City (General Gameplay)' started by Olovan, Sep 7, 2013.

1. Amazon Committed Player

Spytle so great to see you on the boards and giving comments i know you're busy so thats great!

I agree one thousand per cent with superior mouse :-D we def need a physical power set in game.

Until then earth, while a decent power on its own is a poor substitute! :p
    • Like x 1
  2. Trinidad James Loyal Player

naw nah nope. Batman is Gadgets. Cyborg, Blue Beetle, etc is cybernetics. too different things bro :mad:

Like saying a

[IMG]

is the same as this

[IMG]
    • Like x 2
  3. Tikkun Loyal Player

Personally, I would love to see something Deathstroke related. The mechanics are there. I'd say a mix between fire and gadgets. Really flashy, lots of explosives.

Also, The Joker. We have a few options, but I would love to see a full jokester loadout.
  4. TheChromeKnight Well-Known Player

First, I apologize if I had an aggressive tone. (re-reading it, I seem to have). It was not my intent.
    Talking about Giganta, I (of course) assumed a brawling of sorts (like in the Wonder Girl instance) and physical toughness.
    This is where I made the connection with size and a physical powerset. Especially as much as it's been talked about in here.
    My mistake, and I apologize for misunderstanding.

Regarding Giganga's size, I completely see where you're coming from. Thanks for going into more detail.
    Also, thanks for coming to the boards and hanging out with us. We all appreciate your time!

**offers handshake**
    • Like x 1
  5. Future Nostalgia New Player

There are already lots of power sets in game that could be added:

- Tala
    - Penguin's Umbrella
    - Lex/Cyborg Cybernetics
    - Red Lanterns
    - Scarecrow's Hallucinations
    - Chemo (spawning Chemlings, etc.)
    - OMACSs
    • Like x 1
  6. Al Mandrake New Player

Ok, I am a little confused by what people mean by a "physical" powerset. We have the iconic super-strength power which allows us to pickup/weaponize anything and we have brawling combat style( I know we call it a weapon style but really that just equals wearing different "gloves" ) that gives us different punching moves. What exactly is it that people are meaning by a physical powerset?
  7. willflynne 10000 Post Club

I think it depends on who you ask, but more often than not the impression I get is the more physical aspects of Superman, or characters like the Thing, Hulk or Colossus.

I never played City of Heroes and it's been a while since I played around in Champions Online, but the physical powers in CO were pretty similar to what we can do in this game with Brawling and a couple of the Earth powers (Jackhammer and Shards in particular). The Super Strength iconic power is icing on the cake for that.

Put all those together and I feel you pretty accurately recreate more strength-oriented characters like the ones I mentioned.
    • Like x 1
  8. 139 Masks Dedicated Player

DCUO doesn't have the rights to use any Marvel characters in the game as far as know.
    Technically, it's against the EULA to make Marvel Characters in DCUO.
    DC doesn't have the rights to Marvel Characters. Does SOE have the rights to use Marvel characters in DCUO?

My guess is that they don't or there would be missions specific to Marvel characters in the game.
  9. Multiverse 15000 Post Club

My guess is that you take this game wayyyyy too seriously.

After all this is a game where you can create a character wearing Batman boxers..... or Flash boxers. Think about that for just one second.

Of course DC does not own the rights to the Marvel characters.

Does that mean that Marvel could sue DCUO??? Not really. They tried that already with City of Heroes.

Players pay their sub each month.... and they will use the character they want to have fun playing with.

And within the context of the game... there is already everything to justify/explain how a Marvel character could end up in DCUO.

The Multiverse.

And again.... it is something that happened even in the comics.... so it is not like it is without any precedent.

In comics we pretty much had already a truckload of Marvel characters cross over into the DCU. But also other characters such as Predators, Aliens, Grendel, Judge Dredd, Spawn, and too many others to mention them all.

So it is very easy to justify using a Marvel clone in the game.

You can be Magneto from Earth 295 (Age of Apocalypse) that was thrown into DCUO when the Age of Apocalypse reality was destroyed.

Or Thunderstrike from Earth 982 (MC2) who tried to get back to his reality from the Thunder Guard Earth 9907.... but a glitch in the portal made it so that he ended up in DCUO.

Or in my case Magneto from Earth 10005 (did not make this up... this is the Earth from the X-Men movies) who ended up in the DCUO thanks to a glitch in the timeline thanks to Wolverine going into the past.

Not that difficult to find a reason to have a Marvel toon in DCUO.

The game and the comics provide all you need to explain/justify such a thing happening.
    • Like x 1
  10. HardlineHero Committed Player

Johnny Thunder. There is no pink genie Thunderbolt powerset.
  11. darkenmagic New Player

Wat about tattoo man as it sounds his power is to change tattoos into inanimate objects or animals or beasts you name the tatto he'll make it hes a villain by the way
  12. Decree New Player

Will the ps4 be able to pick up the slack on the limitations that the ps3 version has been stuck at for so long?
  13. LL New Player

I don't get why people want to play a copy of a char?

I enjoy creating my own path...
  14. Amazon Committed Player

This is exactly what i have done, however this does not make your character really viable in endgame content. And some of the ugly rocks effects ( the precision buff- rock fists) really take you out of the moment.

The game needs a physical power set. most of the power animations re-use weapon animations i can't see why brawling wouldn't be an issue.
    • Like x 1
  15. willflynne 10000 Post Club

For me, it's a "Department of Redundancy Department" kind of thing. Everything is already there for us to use. The only move I can think of used by super strength characters in the various media that isn't in the game is being able to rip a lamp post out of the ground and hitting your opponent with it.

With the tools being available to players, it's just tough for me to call a physical power set a "need," and even tougher to visualize a physical power set that didn't rip off what's already in the game via Earth powers, the Super Strength Iconic and Brawling.
  16. McGhee Well-Known Player

I've heard your argument before. I would like to point out that just because you (or any person) can't conceive new abilities doesn't mean no one can. Several members have posted diverse trees for physical powerset. For instance, a physical powerset need not be only super strength. It could also encompass highly skilled fighters (Batman, Hawkman, Flash, Green Arrow, Deathstroke, etc.)

As for redundancy, minus the combos , most of the lantern powers can be recreated using mental, movement, and weapons. I have yet to have a person think that mental is the same as being a lantern.

While I will agree the game doesn't "need" a physical powerset, many of us want it. It is the most common super power. It is the power of the most popular DC heroes: Superman, Batman, Wonder Woman. (An argument could be made that Batman is gadgets, but he is generally considered one of DC's best fighters) A physical power should be in the game. We shouldn't have to piece the power together.
    • Like x 2
  17. sayow55 Well-Known Player

you cant build an iconic capt marvel without iconic cape! common devs please bring us this cape.
    • Like x 1
  18. SuperiorMouse New Player

there's no appearances of "Shazam" which show him with a powerset that differs from his classic powerset interpretation. his revamped "let's do something that appeals to 13yos" (sigh) appearance suggests that he's electric now, but that hasn't been established, that i'm aware of. he's still very much a physical powerset character who *may* have other power stunts related to the Shazam lightning. besides theres an excellent chance that he'll loose all the stupid 13yo demographic visuals in later continuity. there's also a good chance that it's nothing more than creative licence from the artists like Flash -- he's not electric either, his speed force is just visually represented it this way right now by artists who want to give the character a visual impact.

you could but they wouldn't represent any of the characters well at all. i could make a Batman inspired character that shoots fire out his nose too and it would be about as close :).

you can't.

the closest you can come is:
    weapon: brawling OR martial arts +
    powerset: earth -- jackhammer (50% dmg buff)+ localized tremor (35% dmg buff) + unstoppable (45% dmg buff) +
    iconics: superbreath + heatvision OR mesmerizing lasso + amazonian deflection (all 40% dmg buff)
    movement skills: swoop attack (40% dmg buff)

functionally speaking:
    • as a dps that would give the player a single 50% dmg buff, a single 45% and the rest of their loadout would be either 40% or a 35%. this puts DPS players at a disadvantage for dmg buff options. then there is the issue of Powerset Power Synergies or Inter Powerset Power Interactions -- these characters would have none.
    • as a tank aftershocks are required to maintain max absorption. the cool down on jackhammer isn't terribly long but relying on a single power to viably maintain max defence mechanic is unrealistic. telling a player they can do this type of character with one power isn't far off from telling ice players to play endgame without taking any shield powers or fire players not being allowed to take any power that regens or buffs their health. no, it's not viable in the game that our devs have created for us.
    from an aesthetics or immersion perspective:
    • these powers trigger undesirable visual fx (although much better than using Ice or Fire and being told to pretend). also, the character animations themselves break character for most character concepts -- ie. unless you're doing an inspired by the Incredible Hulk, you're probably not going to see these characters pummel the ground like a savage. Superman, WonderWoman, Hawkgirl, Hawkman or the Flash are not going to be jackhammering the ground at all -- it's very out of character for any non-savage superstrength character. if i want to do a Kalibak character it could work though.
    the game *needs* a physical powerset. it should have character animations that represent a variety of these character concepts with relatively discreet visual fx. it should have power synergies and powerset power interactions and it should have a variety of these powers with the same range of functionality as every other powerset.

to date MANY players still come and go from this game when they realize they cannot build and play this type of character that they want to play. in a DC IP they shouldn't have to imagine their character isn't emitting fire, ice or rocks or skip endgame play or endgame viability to play an iconic theme to the genre. a powerset like this should have been in at launch though and it definitely should have been a larger priority compared to adding a 2nd Lantern powerset. sigh. all anyone can do is vote with their wallets though, and they have been and will continue to do. ... that said, 3 years later, i'm not sure it would make much of a difference anymore. who knows though with the PS4 launch next month maybe it would be well timed and generate new interest.
    • Like x 3
  19. Neph Dedicated Player

Why not use them in the case of Metamorpho like the Hard light powers, but instead of the power lowered in opacity or "see through" keep it as a solid shape for the attack/animation?
  20. willflynne 10000 Post Club

Batman-Martial Arts with maybe a hint of acrobatics. Hawkman-favorite weapon is a mace, which he wields either One-Handed or Two-Handed. Also uses other medieval weaponry. Green Arrow-Bow. Deathstroke-Rifle and One Handed sword seem to be his weapons of choice in the game. Flash-doesn't use weapons, but many of the moves he and Zoom use are (as far as I know) straight out of the Super Speed Movement powers. And for those that do use super strength a lot, well they resort to a lot of punching and kicking, or Brawling/Martial Arts (depending on how fancy you want to get with your attacks).

All already in the game and available for use. ;)

I don't doubt the devs' ability to come up with new and interesting power sets. Time and again they've shown that they can put in new powers that are unique in appearance and play style in comparison to what's come before. Heck, I've chimed in on the Light/Lantern-based Tank threads saying the devs could pull it off and keep it unique. But any physical power set would run the risk of diminishing the choice you make with weapons in the game, and the weapons themselves cover a lot of what's being asked for. Those reasons alone could explain why the devs haven't put a physical power set into the game, despite the number of people who keep asking for one.