What DC Characters Can't Be Built In DCUO?

Discussion in 'Gotham City (General Gameplay)' started by Olovan, Sep 7, 2013.

1. SuperiorMouse New Player

Chris Cao gave us the Valentines Day content. Chris Cao gave us Controllers turned into Batteries. Chris Cao is the dev that said no to a physical Powerset and shortly after that moved on. -- Chris Cao isn't with us anymore. take a look at the direction the wind is blowing.

i see. so you want it. you just thought you'd enter this thread and fight with everyone to entertain yourself.

you don't need to pass on any reasons. i've been here since closed beta myself and if you'd read the entire discussion thread you're participating in, you'd see that it's all been discussed already. there's no issues with disclosure in the thread.
  2. willflynne 10000 Post Club

Just because I can get nitpicky...lol
    • The Atom: the original started out as a smaller sized man who could fight, later developed the ability to detonate his fists. The Ray Palmer version was a size changer powered by a fragment of a white dwarf star.
    • Atom Smasher: Size changing brawler (growth) for the most part, even with a nuclear base to his powers.
    • Metallo: Cyborg powered by a chunk of Kryptonite
    • Atomic Knight: Depends on which version, but generally the powers come from armor and are not necessarily atomic/nuclear in nature
    Firestorm, you can make a case for, even though his powers are more along the lines of changing the structure of things rather than just straight radioactive powers. The Atomic Skull, it can depend on the version you're using. Captain Atom I believe is being used as the "inspired by" character for Quantum powers.

Radioactive Man, depending on where you look, is either a Marvel or Simpsons character. o_O
    • Like x 2
  3. DaKrushmor Loyal Player

But still having whole new generation of Atomic exobyters would be cool. Alot betta than some kind of childish lanterns.
  4. willflynne 10000 Post Club

Personal opinions vary on that matter. ;)
  5. Archangel Rafael New Player

lolz - I entered this thread to share with everyone the devs self-stated reasons for not adding "might&mastery" powers:

1) too generic - literally 9/10 DC characters would be made using this set. Likely 9/10 new characters would be made using this. This would be bad for the game.
    by your own ideal you have 99% of all comic characters using this powerset. You are making the devs anti-physicalset argument for them right here. "Everyone who uses punches and kicks or a melee weapon..." have you reaqd comics lately? That's like 90% of all characters in comics. All 3 heroic mentors fall into this category. You have to be able to see why that's a bad thing for this video-game, right?

2) the other reason was "no messaging" - by this they meant that all the powers have visuals that allow people to see what power is being used. A plain "physical" set would be difficult to give "messaging" (dev term, not mine) Every power has a bunch of color-coded effects that go with it. Physical would be difficult to apply this to. People would complain "I don't want to see a purple swoosh when I punch someone" etc.

These are not my arguments. They are the dev's arguments. I personally think the messaging one is pretty lame but the generic/alpha one is spot on. I know I would have used this powerset for my 1st character and I'd guess that you could say the same. This set would have 9/10 character in DCUo using a single powerset. That's undeniably bad for the game.

lolz what? The way the wind is blowing is toward 3-4 new lantern-ish powers. The devs have never said anything besides "no" to might&mastery. The reasons they gave are still as valid as they ever were. Nothing has changed there.

There's nothing in the release schedule to hint that might&mastery is even on the alpha whiteboard. The most requested powerset in DCUO history and the devs haven't even broached the subject since saying "no way. can't do it" way back when. What makes you think it's goping to happen now?

I didn't post here to argue with anyone, let alone everyone. Again you confuse arguing with just you with arguing with everyone. Again it's the "you are the majority" argument.

I made 1 post relaying the old reasoning from the devs and you said I was making the whole thing up. You started arguing with me. Indeed, instead of arguing with my statements, you accused me of "making it all up" and not knowing what I was talking about.

So, if you've been carrying this torch for "might&mastery" for 3 years, I guess you're never going to stop. Some people just can't handle it if they don't get what they want and no amount of reasoning will change them. Spoiled children who can't take "no" for an answer.
  6. SuperiorMouse New Player

shrug. you're really having problems understanding what's being said to you. so there's not much point exchanging dialogue with you.

if you really do want the powerset also, give it a rest and stop derailing the discussion.
  7. Archangel Rafael New Player

The discussion is "what characters can't be made" - I went back and read some more of this thread and you have plainly hijacked this thread to necro the "I want might & mastery set" issue. The page-long list of characters that "need a physical set" is puerile while also making the best argument possible against your own position. The fact that 9/10 comics characters would fall into this "physical set" category is exactly why the devs don't want to make one. The devs have two reasons for "no physical set" that you never, ever address. Basically because there is no good answer to these problems.

If you could address these problems you could possibly make headway in your quest for this powerset. I honestly haven't ever thought of a good way around these problems and apparently neither the devs nor any of the "might&mastery" proponents have either.

By your own reckoning, all 3 of the heroic mentors would be "physical set", right? You don't see the problem there? That's just obtuse. That big list you made of all the characters you thought needed a physical set is exactly why there isin't such a powerset. Because this powerset would unbalance the character base. Too many characters would use it. It's a generic default for everything.

If you still can't see it, try this: make a list of all character that could be made with a physical set and compare it to a list of characters that couldn't possibly be made with physical set. The list for the physical set will be larger than the other. You must be able to see how that would be a game-breaking situation.

"I don't care if there isn't any visual messaging" or "I don't care if this set would comprise 90% of characters" isin't a solution. That's just stubbornly wanting what you want regardless of the problems it could cause. This is not going to accomplish what you want.

If you think about it clearly, your real problem is with the visuals that come with powers like ice or earth, so mayb think of more creative solutions like asking to be able to turn certain power animations off or customizable animation choices. Of course those two suggestions have already been offered and shot down by devs. You don't have a problem with the mechanics of the power available. Your issue is that you find the visuals "immersion breaking" for your character concepts.

Unfortunately for yourself and other like-minded players, SOE made a clear choice in DCUO's development direction that RP-ish elements would take a back seat to gameplay mechanics. The devs felt that visually unambiguous messaging for each power was more important than added character customization. That's the choice that was made and it has been clearly stated many times. It's also the reason we don't have customizable power colors, another issue that RP-interested players wanted very much but was a non-starter for the devs.

-

So great, since the "physical set" is DOA, let's get back on the subject : most of the character i can think of that cant be made have already been listed.

A couple of the ones that would be really good involving shapechanging, growth and self-manipulation (atom, giganta, metamorpho, plastic man) have serious technical problems.

A power absorbtion, power stealing etc controller power (rogue, caliban, parasite) a could be pretty cool

I believe that "gadgets" is meant to include pretty much all tech-based heroes including powered-armor types and cyborgs. That's probably not optimal either ...

The final analysis is that in comics there are as many different powersets as there are characters. That's not possible in a video-game so the powersets need to encompass a wide range of interpretations. DCUO has a much-simplified power system compared to CoH, Champions, FreedomForce or SWG. It's p[rimarily and action/arcade game and that leaves RP out in the cold to some extent.

No game can be all things to all people. Choices have to be made and you can't please all factions.
  8. Neph Dedicated Player

To be honest, DCUO2 should be based off of martial arts and brawling; those should not be treated as weapons, but as Innates.

99% of fighting in DC is physical, punching someone, kicking someone, etc.

If they were to make a DCUO2, I would love to help build it from the ground up; learn from the positives and negatives of this great game, and make one better.

I think the major thing keeping these entities from developing it, would be to hire the voice talent again. Some of the voice talent is getting too old just due to the natural state of time. This is a great game and I fully support it to the end.

Will miss the headbutting move I saw Laff Riot performing on his victims...
    • Like x 2
  9. Archangel Rafael New Player

1) yeah, there is a superspeed power where cyclones come from your hands/arms (unless it was removed at some point? I used to have a character that used it. It pulls enemies to you)

2) THIS is probably your best (most possible) solution for the generic/physical powerset! I tried lobbying for improvements to the iconic and movement powers to make them more competitive for a long time but to no avail. If the movement powers and iconics were more competitive, I believe that would fix everything. I would love to be able to make a true "Flash" using nothing but movement powers but it's just not viable. Better movement power + more iconics could really fix this issue, I believe.

3) umm ...

- you know... #2 ... I think that a campaign to improve movement and iconic powers could be successful. It could offer a lot of versatility and it would avoid the problems of a generic/physical set. By versatility, i mean that a physical set would have to be a tank(only) set while improvements to iconics and movement powers could be used with any role. This would solve the "everybody would be physicalset" problem. This is a much more realistic and workable solution.
  10. Neph Dedicated Player

In this game, Metamorpho could work like Clayface works in the game currently...but you would have to be creative to come to that conclustion :)
    • Like x 1
  11. SuperiorMouse New Player

"Um" he didnt understand what Spytle wa trying to say at all. lol
  12. Mirai Well-Known Player

Geh. Well, you're not entirely wrong, because DC focuses so much on Superman and Batman. Superman (in multiple comics), Supergirl and Superboy punch things. Batman (in multiple comics), Batgirl, Nightwing and Batwoman all punch things. That's a large fraction of the comics right there. But when you factor in all the other heroes, you should have way more variety. Firestorm doesn't punch things. Zatanna is far more effective with spells than punching. Starfire could punch things, but instead blasts things, because she's better at that. Green Lantern might throw a punch now and then for show, but usually sticks to the hard light constructs. Etc etc. I can make a very very long list of DC heroes and villains who avoid fisticuffs.

When I see something like Injustice: Gods Among Us, I just cringe.

Although I'd like to see a physical powerset in DCUO, I'm not a big proponent. Due to the focus on gear, Two Face is just about as tough as Superman, so modeling invulnerability just goes out the window. I'd think that the devs could come up with some appropriately tankish powers though, to fit in with Ice, Fire and Earth, that would work well with the more notable bricks like Superman without feeling like a kludge.

If I made a game, I'd find ways to make the characters fit in from the beginning. The game would have the potential to fit a Superman clone, a Firestorm clone, a Zatanna clone, a Deadman clone, an Atom clone, etc. DCUO has too many constraints, but that's in large part due to being an action game for the PS3.
    • Like x 1
  13. Neph Dedicated Player

60% of the time, I'm right every time!
  14. Geek ManXY New Player

I'm a big Superman fan, and more recently a big Lantern fan and I am very happy that we now have a Tank lantern but I would be even happier to see a healer lantern as well. Then we would have all roles. I would like to see most of the colors playable as well. Other than that... I would love to see a Physical power like brute strength and a water power. But what I would like more than a new power is something like Not having to repair my armor.

I was in Nexus for 4 HOURS last night because people kept wiping, leaving, and other crap and spent about 50k repairing my crap, I would have never been able to do that with Premium. I will be premium again next month and my 2k cash will not be doing much to help me in raids as just ONE death costs about 2.2k to repair. so for Christmas, what I REALLY want, more than anything, is UNBREAKABLE ARMOR!!!! I want to be able to run raids, pvp, pve, whatever, without my armor breaking.
  15. SuperBell Loyal Player

I see the problem here. You lack imagination.

Last I remember them talking about this, they said they want to do it right. Not that they couldn't or wouldn't.

Nothing in the release schedule hints to anything. They never hint to anything until the DLC is on the horizon. And honestly, Amazon Fury would be a perfect DLC to release a Might and Mastery powerset.

Just to go off on my own wish list, I want Physical to be Super Strength and Super Speed, while Mastery being Small Arms and Heavy Artillery.
    • Like x 1
  16. SuperiorMouse New Player

i'm going to have to disagree. he was quite creative with his interpretation of what was said. :)
  17. Neph Dedicated Player

I disagree, wait, what were we talking about?