What DC Characters Can't Be Built In DCUO?

Discussion in 'Gotham City (General Gameplay)' started by Olovan, Sep 7, 2013.

1. Invictus2112 New Player

... So, forgive me guys, as I am about to give a conspiracy theory, or close enough as to make no difference. But does everyone remember the reason why the green aura or lantern logos are not available yet? Its because DC actually refuses to let people come that close to recreating one of their biggest characters.

Now reverse the combo. We have an emblem, or at least an item with an emblem that works, along with a cape with said emblem. We have flight and iconics to complete the image. Except for one piece. That character is Superman himself, and the piece is an actual physical powerset.

Yes, I am suggesting that physical may, in fact, be prohibited or perhaps at least somehow gated because there really is nothing missing from a Superman clone going the length that even a Hal Jordan fan cannot, except the actual powerset for Superman. Earth is a substitute, but it is not physical, and requires some creativity/bending/unviability in order to make into a physical loadout, which at least means that any kryptonian, for example, is not going to see any real success in content that could create that image DC wants to avoid.

Now, hopefully I am wrong. But I DO think that it is odd that a physical set does not exist; its fantasy equivalent, the warrior, is a STAPLE in most fantasy MMOs, and however "creative" we were supposed to be with brawling and the weapon/power system is apparently not registering well enough for at least some players and fans (admittedly wish Mouse could find some way to prove the numbers of people leaving being referenced.)

Conspiracy theory over, return to your regularly scheduled programming. Should make a Question inspired character at this rate....
  2. McGhee Well-Known Player

[IMG][IMG]
    • Like x 2
  3. Raijin1999 Loyal Player

I agree. I'd like to see a physical power type added to the game, something with density based bashing in one tree, and your feral bleed friendly abilities in the other tree. They could feature moves that break the norm, such as one that emulates Juggernaut's unstoppable charge, consuming power as you tap square/punch repeatedly, as well as your generic super punches, kicks, tosses, etc, all using heavy visual effects with shattering debris erupting from the point of contact of every hit. The feral tree would allow players to emulate clawed slashes and stabs and would add a 2nd bleed heavy power tree to compliment sorcery (which remains the best bleeder dps power in the game). Definitely a tank power set as it will be close ranged melee focused.

SOE has to deal with DC, however, and contrary to what's been said, they aren't the easiest partner to work with, especially with DCUO's limited budget. The 'likeness' issue could keep this from every happening, regardless of how much sense it would make to have and how much we freakin' want it. (WANT WANT WANT!!! <<< )
  4. Invictus2112 New Player

You have no idea how hard I lol'd at this.
  5. 139 Masks Dedicated Player

I take any game EULA and Code of Conduct seriously.
    As I am paying to play this game, I don't want to take a monetary loss - aka have my account closed/banned - because I am not following the EULA or Code of Conduct. It seems that EULAs are getting pretty big-in-their-britches and there really should be more legal restrictions on them to protect the consumer, but there aren't.

I think you are confusing being serious about copyrights with being silly in general. The two have no connection.

Uh, yeah, and people playing characters that looked like or where named after Marvel or DC heroes in City of Heroes - that were reported or observed by DEVs or MODs in the game - had their costumes changed, names generalized and were sent warnings about the behavior.

Make all the excuses you want. Read the EULA, Terms of Service, and the Code of Conduct.
    The responsibility for your account is on your shoulders.

SOE doesn't have the rights to put Marvel characters in DCUO - otherwise, it wouldn't be called DC Universe Online.

The thread is about DC characters that aren't in the game.
    Obviously MARVEL characters are not in the game. Disney characters aren't either - oh, wait, Disney owns Marvel now, don't they?
    • Like x 1
  6. Raijin1999 Loyal Player

Lol. Wrong MMO. Disney Infinity is that way >>>

Star Wars, Disney and Marvel characters together... and I had issues with Kingdom Hearts. O:

How viable is a pure precision dps that only uses powers for either shielding and/or the damage buffs? <not asking about lanterns, but the other powersets>
  7. McGhee Well-Known Player

Thank you.
  8. unstoppable New Player

What I would really like to see is a bane powerset called venom.
  9. Rykus83 New Player

the physical power set I don't think would be for making super strong guys it should be made for the hero's and villains who rely on superior fighting skills and training, those who just use weapons and have no super powers like The Shining Knight, Vigilante, the Bat and his crew, Green Arrow and the other archers. That in my mind is what a physical power set should be.
  10. willflynne 10000 Post Club

The problem is that those fighting skills ended up being represented in many cases by weapon selection, with other parts ending up in the movement abilities. A lot is already there for use, which makes the case for a power set like that a little tougher to make.
  11. Massah Committed Player

Most important DC Characters - for reasons beyond mortals

Elaine Belloc or the Presence* (This powerset is definitely missing - although having the Home Turf Launch Boost 2 Orbital Strike with Mental made me feel like I had control of everything.....Quantum with how OP Boost 2 Orbital Strike was would be some serious "I control everything" sensation)
  12. Rykus83 New Player

Yes I agree that u could make said hero's using the movement abilities and weapon selection and it would probably be fine leveling that way problem is and I think this is what SuperiorMouse is trying to get across is that beyond 30th it gets less likely you will find your character playable sticking to that play style. The game forces you to for example to use the 6 powers in your load out with a few variations here and there. With a physical power set you wouldn't have to worry about your hero being obsolete when doing the higher tier content, I also think this issue could be solved by making an iconic the boost just your weapon damage so if you wanted to play just a button masher weapon user hero, or make it so u can change the emanation point of powers so lets say I'm using dual pistol and have fire as my power all the fires abilities will shot for from my guns because I found it stupid your running around shooting guys then stop to put them away to throw I fireball? I find most DC comics hero's that use weapons are those who don't have any powers in the 1st place and by choosing to have you powers emanate from a weapon would big for me at least.

That's my thoughts oh and I'd think super jumping/leaping would make a cool new travel power :)
  13. Archangel Rafael New Player

there is no "physical" power set because it would become the "alpha" class.

90% of DCD character could be made using it.

*Every* new player would use it for their 1st character, not knowing how the game mechanics work. Physical would become a default set.

In the end, like 50% of all characters would use this generic powerset. All game balance would revolve around that set. There would constantly be nerf/buff issues about this set.

The devs have said it a thousand times. There is no generic/physical powerset because:

1) it offeres no messaging as to what power is being used
    2) its to generic. Pretty much every replica character from comics from GreenArrow to Superman, to Spider-Man, to Black Canary, to Red Tornado, EVERY character could use a generic powerset.

Let it go people. This horse was dead in beta. Isint 3 years of flogging enough?
  14. Hero Alpha Well-Known Player

I only read the OP so I am sure its been covered but Aquaman doesn't actually control water or use it to fight. All you need is staff and whatever to get Aquaman, not perfect but close. Ice or mental maybe? Just use mostly movement powers in acro.
  15. Blight KOBRA Commander

Even though we 'kind of' got this with the Cursed tree half of the Celestial powerset, I'd still like to be able to create villains like Shade and Nightshade, who are capable of Darkness Manipulation. I think this one is particularly doable because it would contain a lot of similar abilities found in already introduced powersets like teleportation (Quantum), constructs (Light), and minion summoning (Sorcery).
  16. SuperiorMouse New Player

i'm not sure where you're getting any of your information, but i've been following the game since closed beta and i can assure you that the devs have never said any of that. you just made all that up. unless you can source your claims, don't present them as fact.

classic aquaman is a physical powerset character. n52 aquaman is hydrokinetic.
  17. WonderCleric New Player

It could work (he is listed as using Nature powers, but I'm not really sure if he actually uses them as moves), but like using Earth for physical based characters, it isn't viable in late game. :c I really wish they would do something about that... let all powers be equal, including those of the iconic tree and the movement moves. A lot more character concepts would be opened up that way.
  18. Nebula153 Well-Known Player

If all powers in every tree could be effective late game then Hard Light wouldn't be so limited anymore. Even if Shapeshifting wasn't hard for the console to do, it would still be un-affective at late game anyway.
  19. WonderCleric New Player

I thought only his trident could do that? I didn't read anywhere that Aquaman can use hydrokinetic/Atlantean sorcery powers on his own in the New 52. The Trident of Neptune is different though and has access to sea-based magic, but it could do that before the New 52. Also, he's not a physical powerset character, because there is no physical powerset... just saying. :p (not saying that there shouldn't be/won't be)
  20. Minnion Devoted Player

Well we could have Physical as a controller power set(I know tank would be preferred but here me out) If we are going with the idea of a Warrior power set we can probably squeeze in a couple more powers in terms of trees...

Tier one:

(Honor-bound)War Cry: Provides power over time and has a chance of frightening nearby enemies(Control stance) or buffs precision of nearby allies(DPS stance)
    (Dirty)Mock: Provides power over time, and has a chance of debuffing resistance to control effects(Control stance) or Debuffs defense(DPS stance)

Tier two:
    (Honor-bound) Assault charge charge forward knocking enemies out of the way. Power interactions: Stuns frightened/panicked enemies.
    (Honor-bound) Rallying cry: Buffs vitality of you and all allies increasing power back from weapon strikes.(Control stance), Buffs might of you and allies(DPS stance)
    (Honor-bound) Mighty blow: Supercharge: Send an enemy flying backwards with a mighty blow, possibly also knocking down or stunning any foes that the targeted enemy collides with as well.)
    (Dirty) Sand toss. Debuffs precision. Has a chance to panic/frighten the target(Control role)
    (Dirty) Poision weapon. Activating this power adds a weapon buff that causes Damage over time, debuffs resistance to control effects(Control role)
    (Dirty) False death. Supercharge, activate to play dead(Drains supercharge over time until you stop playing dead. 100% crit chance on the first attack made after you've stopped playing dead(DPS), knocks enemys away if in Control stance.

Tier three:

(Honor-bound)Body slam: Leap into the melee and knock down and possibly stun enemies with a body slam.
    (Honor-bound)Focused attack Supercharge: Unleash your weapons ultimate attack, which is unique to whatever weapon you have chosen.
    (Dirty)Sucker-punch: Has a chance of knocking down an enemy with an unexpected blow.
    (Dirty)Low Blow: has a chance to stun knocked down enemies, can also buff Precision(DPS)

Anyways let me know what you think and if it needs a fourth tier offer ups some suggestions...