Took the dive and SSD'ed my PS4.... Took some times before & after....

Discussion in 'Gotham City (General Gameplay)' started by FESTER665, Nov 28, 2013.

1. Owl Devoted Player

Not all 2.5" SSDs will fit in a PS3.
    7.5mm & 9mm drives fit in a PS3. 12.5mm drives do NOT fit in a PS3.
    12.5mm drives do fit in a PS4 though.

I have a 7.5mm drive in a PS3 and a 9mm drive in a PS4.
    • Like x 2
  2. DarthDiggler New Player

Wow if I was the devs I would be so embarrassed over some of these times. Over 2 minutes to render something?

Game runs much better on SSD, it almost seems like a requirement for DCUO.
  3. SuperLD Well-Known Player

I play the game on a PS3 and the New Metropolis Battlezone is almost unplayable because of load times. It takes almost 2 minutes for the vendor guy to load after entering the battlezone. Then when I fly into an area I can see the red dot but it takes over minute for it to come up on my screen. Also when collecting the Manhunter parts I can see the white dots on the map but it will take at least a minute until I can see the manhunter parts.

Then when doing the alerts the lag time is so horrible I am getting killed by invisible enemies. Guess I might have to stick to Trigon, T5 Duos, etc to earn my Marks of Reality.
    • Like x 1
  4. SLYDER X New Player

this is awesome news...im actually a little baffled that, after 3 years of playing on stock PS3, i am just now finding out about this. some one PLEASE let me know what the best available SSD is for PS3...and whats the difference between SSD and SSHD? im new to this stuff, but ill figure it out...i wanna do it right now lol.
    what size flash drive do i need? all i play is DCUO on my PS3
    gimme the best product recommnedation available to date
    please please please lol..
  5. Wizz Tron New Player

I spent about that much on my first SSD but it was 120GB
  6. Rockman X New Player

Would a 250GB SSD be enough for just DCUO or would I need the 500GB since I'm hearing that the PS4's updates are much larger than the PS3's.
  7. Brennsinger Well-Known Player

I put the 256 GB I had in my PS3 into the PS4, and there is still plenty of space left after DCUO.

However, if you plan on playing a lot of other games, too, you may want to go bigger (and maybe Hybrid to save $$).
    • Like x 1
  8. Laff Riot New Player

I need to do this on my PS3. And then when I get a PS4, do it to that as well. Just the thought of downloading 67 games to my PS3 is not what I am looking forward to.
  9. Brennsinger Well-Known Player

If you do it to your PS3, you will have to do it to your PS4, too. It's just too nice to not have once you're used to it ;)
  10. SLYDER X New Player

I'm looking into this, and I've decided to go with a 240gig, but what other specs should I be looking at? I'm not a very 'tech' informed person, so any info would help.
    Running a 120G PS3 right now..not the fat, bit the model after that..not the super slip either
  11. Ice Lantern New Player

You'd have to have pride to be embarrassed.
  12. ACW37162 Loyal Player

Where do you the data to put on a thumb drive once you replace the drive?
  13. FESTER665 Devoted Player

Just make sure it's a 9.5mm or thinner drive and you're good to go. Hop on youtube and look for a hard drive swap video for PS3 (there's a million of them) and they'll talk you through the entire thing.

I'm guessing you're asking where to get the data ??? If that's what you're asking you get it off the Sony Playstation website. Make sure you get the larger one for PS4. They have a file size around 300mb which is just an update software, when installing a new drive you need the new install software, which is around 800mb if memory serves.

Here's the link for the new hard drive install software on PS4:
    http://us.playstation.com/support/systemupdates/ps4/new-install/
  14. Plum Crazy Committed Player

My ps4 has about the same numbers as your ps4 with a ssd lol. All I have on my ps4 atm is dc and Don Starve and my internet is 30mbps, not sure if any of that makes a difference or not. I also rebuild my database after every dang ce error
  15. SKAVANGER408 New Player

Ya I need to get an SSD soon since I have 1tb in raid 0 on my computer at the moment.

Btw nice numbers.
    • Like x 1
  16. FESTER665 Devoted Player

All I have on mine is DCUO, and my internet is 50 mbps down and 15 mbps up..... It's pulling the information off the hard drive though so an SSD will definitely be faster than a 5400 rpm stock drive. Yours might be slightly faster than mine was stock, but am guessing it's a ways off from a SSD'ed unit. Those times are including loading screens, so I don't know if you're factoring those into your times as well?

Of course there will be variations between where people start their timing, etc. So I did mine in all the same spots to take as much variable out of it. All times were also at a busy time (around 7:00pm CST) as well so I don't know how population might affect it either. Just giving people my findings. If your stock PS4 is truly as fast as an SSD'ed PS4 I would guess you're definitely in the minority. I still load into any instance faster than anyone else in league (or on the rare occasion I PuG) and am usually done making repairs before the second person moves on my screen or is in instance chat...

I know quite a few people have done this and the times are a night and day difference, but as with anything your mileage may vary.
  17. Plum Crazy Committed Player

Yea to tell you the truth not much of a tech guy ;( Iam not to keen on RPMs and all that but I take a ssd has fasters RPMs or something right? So the stock has 5400 RPM now how much faster is the ssd op mentioned? I also just reformated or "initialized" my ps4 as all the internets told me to do so after getting them stupid CE errors.
  18. Brennsinger Well-Known Player

The SSD is basically RAM chips in the form of a HDD. There are no moving parts, no RPM, less heat, less sensitivity to shock (physical, not electrical). You are in a way replacing your Disk Drive with memory chips.
  19. Plum Crazy Committed Player

So how much faster would the ssd op mentioned be compared to the stock HDD in loading? Double triple what we talking about here?
  20. FESTER665 Devoted Player

All the times are listed in the first post..... Not sure what other numbers you mean ???