Took the dive and SSD'ed my PS4.... Took some times before & after....

Discussion in 'Gotham City (General Gameplay)' started by FESTER665, Nov 28, 2013.

1. ACW37162 Loyal Player

That's awesome.

Anything special you have to do to the drive before you drop it in, formatting procedures etc?

Any chance the download times were slightly faster as well?
  2. FESTER665 Devoted Player

No, changing the hard drive doesn't void the warranty, SOE actually recommends it when you're going to use a bunch of room....

Nothing special to drop it in, five Phillips screws, drop it in, replace screws, put in the USB drive with the new software, boot up in safe mode, install new software, done. It's just like a brand new PS4 at that point.... I'm sure you can put all your information on it at that point...
  3. SKAVANGER408 New Player

I run raid 0 with my corsair ssd's and as soon as I leave a police station it loads in seconds.

Worth the price.
  4. blklightning New Player

Indeed. But... I'd be getting 2 of a matching brand and Samsung will be my choice. So... 2x 750GB? Lovely, but pricey. I'm happy with my current speeds, but would be happier w/ faster. :p
  5. SKAVANGER408 New Player

I went with 2 480gb ssd's but ya the price would be expensive.
  6. FESTER665 Devoted Player

We get it PC guys, you're the best, you're the fastest.... LOL.

My buddy plays on PC and we give each other grief about it all the time.... In any case you can see how much the SSD's help us console players....
    • Like x 1
  7. Electrizzaro Loyal Player

I was thinking about going with a hybrid drive instead of the ssd...much cheaper and "should" be faster but not positive how much. Has anyone done that yet and have any numbers on it if they have. BTW great thread and thanks for the numbers before and after.
  8. blklightning New Player

IIRC, the SSD portion of a hybrid drive is for a sort of caching. As it learns your behaviors, it will place the most used files on the SSD portion. So... DCUO should speed up after the drive has things sorted out. Make sure to get one with a large enough SSD portion to make it useful.
  9. Galaximus2013 New Player

Not that anything is wrong with the SSD, I just wanted to increase the GB which 1.5 TB was perfect for me and it worked like a charm.

Just remember to save the firmware update on your flashdrive and to make sure you have 1 gig on your USB FD to update the PS4 with the 800 something GB firmware update, not the 300 something if you are using a completely new hardrive. Here is the link I used.

http://us.playstation.com/support/systemupdates/ps​4/pc_update/index.htm#installationSteps

HGST Travelstar 5K1500 1.5TB 2.5 Inch mobile 5400 RPM 9.5mm Internal bare HDD. You can look it up on Amazon.com. I love this hardrive as I never have to worry about storage EVER with my PS4.
    • Like x 1
  10. Electrizzaro Loyal Player

thanks for the advice....the ones i have seen ahave a 6-8 gb NAND The one i found is
    Seagate 1TB Solid State Hybrid Drive SATA 6Gbps 64MB Cache 2.5-Inch ST1000LM014 I think that will work well
  11. blklightning New Player

It should work wonderfully.

Some things to consider - DCUO (on PC) is 18+GB of data AND I'm sure you play other games. The hybrid drive will cache up your most used files. So, to keep DCUO playing at its best, you'll need to play it more. Also... hypothetically speaking... let's say that you never run Nexus, but run Paradox 5x daily. The drive would cache files pertinent to dox, so it should load faster (in theory). Nexus, OTOH, would load as anything else would... at HDD rates.

Overall, still quite the step up from a pure HDD and much more affordable than full SSD's. I'm so glad the prices have come down like they have. I spent $200 on my first 80GB SSD just over 2 years ago. That same $200 can get me so much more and at faster performance, too!

Enjoy!
    • Like x 1
  12. FESTER665 Devoted Player

Hopefully one of you can put a hybrid drive in and get some numbers to compare...
    • Like x 2
  13. FESTER665 Devoted Player

Was anyone able to get a hybrid drive into their PS4 and do some time comparisons ???
  14. Derio 15000 Post Club

I went with the hybrid drive myself and it runs really fast. A full out SSDD drive is only 3 seconds faster but has a smaller lifespan. You can definately notice the difference in speed as well as load time from standby mode. Start up time to DCUO is 10 seconds to character select screen. Load time to Killzone main menu was 18 seconds with old drive. Mere 8 seconds with new hybrid drive, cut 10 seconds off. Still running more test but overall, the drive is more responsive and even ps4 startup is faster. Definately worth the investment.
    • Like x 1
  15. FESTER665 Devoted Player

Good to hear it's running well..... I wasn't worried about the "short" lifespan myself, this should easily run for 15 years based on the cycles and I'm guessing I'll have a PS6 by then. LOL
    • Like x 1
  16. Electrizzaro Loyal Player

Great info thank you
  17. GrumpySnot New Player

I installed a SSD, months ago in my ps3. One of the best gadget upgrades, ive ever done.
  18. Torikumu 10000 Post Club

Excellent research, Sir.

Very compelling argument for upgrading to a SSD. I've noticed the PS4 speeds with the standard drive they supply with it. Vastly superior to the PS3 version. The PS4 version with an SSD seems ridiculously fast.

I think it's still out of my price range for now, though. Especially as games are going to be bigger than ever, this generation and I'm still unsure on the tech and it's lifespan. Kinda interested in the idea of a hybrid but I'm worried about fragmentation and tbh I'd rather just save up the money I'd spend on a hybrid and put to towards an SSD.

Hopefully they come down in price as the greatness of them is realised and the stability of them is improved further.
  19. Owl Devoted Player

240 GB SSDs are currently $150 on Amazon.

After I installed a 240 GB SSD in my PS4, it only showed 180 GB of available space.
    Just be aware that the OS reserves space. May be important if you plan to have multiple digital games.
    Some PS4 games use a lot of HD space (like DCUO).

I had to get a SSD for the PS4 after having a SSD in my PS3.
    The load times are so much faster than the stock drives.
    • Like x 1
  20. FESTER665 Devoted Player

Same boat as you Owl..... If I had gone from stock PS3 to Stock PS4 it would've been great.... Just the SSD'ed PS3 made it so much nicer... LOL