Took the dive and SSD'ed my PS4.... Took some times before & after....

Discussion in 'Gotham City (General Gameplay)' started by FESTER665, Nov 28, 2013.

1. blklightning New Player

The lifespan of SSDs nowadays is nothing to worry about. You're not doing massive writes and rewrites that would cause the wear and tear on the drive. It's one big install and a bunch of reads after that. The SSD should last for a very very long time.
  2. Spoofer New Player

Can you share with us which hybrid did you pick (brand/size)?
    I don't know if its true but I heard that the "WD 120Gb SSD + 1Tb HDD" is not compatible with PS3.
  3. blklightning New Player

4. FESTER665 Devoted Player

• Like x 1
  5. Derio 15000 Post Club

Yes you want this one. However I wouldnt recommend upgrading your ps3 harddrive considering even after the upgrade the system will still be limited.
  6. FESTER665 Devoted Player

I would disagree. If you know you're not going to get a PS4 anytime soon I would say a switch to a SSD or SSHD in your PS3 is a huge improvement....
    • Like x 1
  7. Spoofer New Player

Sorry I wrote PS3 by mistake ;) I already got a PS4 and I am thinking about upgrading to SSDHD.

I saw this one but 8Gb of SSD sounds a little bit small :( don't you think?
  8. FESTER665 Devoted Player

The SSD part in a hybrid drive is just used for cache so it's not used for storage. It's a 1TB drive, so double the storage of a stock PS4. Don't look at the SSD portion in those terms. It won't be as large a jump as a pure SSD, but it'll be a TON better than the stock 5400 RPM drive.
  9. KN1TE Dedicated Player

Looks like there is not much differnce from a ps3 to a ps4. I will just upgrade a ps3 with an SSD.
  10. 478874 Dedicated Player

Fester, I did the same thing this weekend. My PS4 performs marvelously now. I found I could superspeed around in the open world ops and everything was basically fully loaded as I moved.

One thing though, I did still find myself waiting a bit, as everyone I was playing with still had to proceed through the longer loading and rendering periods. :confused:
  11. FESTER665 Devoted Player

Yeah, I've gotten myself into trouble a few times because as the tank I'm always pushing ahead, but my healers still aren't fully in the instance. LOL
  12. Evian Well-Known Player

Been wanting to do this to my PS4 since I got it. Should've just done it. The only thing holding me back right now is the hassle of transferring everything over and re-downloading and/or re-installing everything.
  13. 478874 Dedicated Player

Don't buy Seagate. Spend a little extra and get a better quality product. Seagates drives fail the time, at a much higher rate than their peers. They simply aren't great quality.
  14. X Forces New Player

Can you recommend a hybrid brand other than Seagate?

Thx.
  15. FESTER665 Devoted Player

Not recommending any brand in particular, just showing a SSHD....
  16. Proto1118 Committed Player

Holy crap! Just installed an SSD and everything loads instantly. A MUST have for PS3 players.
  17. Slade Wilson Devoted Player

With the numbers in bold the better step than getting a stock PS4 for some users would be refitting the PS3 with an SSD. Wonder if Acronis will help me getting my stuff transfered instantly instead of redownloading everything.....
    • Like x 1
  18. FESTER665 Devoted Player

It's exactly why I had to SSD my PS4. People thought I was nuts because I put a SSD into a brand new PS4, but after having those times on my PS3 I couldn't have a brand new PS4 that loaded and rendered slower than my PS3 was...
  19. Owl Devoted Player

You don't have to re-download anything on a PS3 if you have an external USB drive.
    The PS3 has a Backup utility where you can make a copy of everything on a drive to an external USB drive.
    Then after you install a new drive in the PS3, the PS3 Restore utility can copy data from the USB drive to the new installed drive.
    The backup/restore process when I changed to a SSD on a PS3 took less than 2 hours.
    If you only play DCUO on your PS3, you can get by with a 60 GB SSD. They currently run about $50.

The PS4 does not have a disk Backup utility. You can only backup & restore game save data.
    You must re-download and reinstall everything after you install a new drive in a PS4.
    The 25 GB DCUO download may take several hours depending on your Internet Service Provider.
    The minimum hard drive size for a PS4 is 160 GB. A 240 GB SSD currently runs about $140.
    • Like x 1
  20. X Forces New Player

Will any labtop compatible SSD work for a PS3? Looking at this one CRUCIAL CT120M500SSD1 M500 2.5" 120GB SSD. I can get it really cheap.