Titans Is the Next Live-Action DC TV Show, But It Won't Be on TV

Discussion in 'Joker’s Funhouse (Off Topic)' started by DCUO Post, Apr 25, 2017.

1. willflynne 10000 Post Club

I have to agree. Dark when appropriate is fine, and the Titans have never been shy about exploring some darker territory. But forcing it on everything is one of the big reasons BvS ended up being so divisive.

Dark stuff with the Titans can work with Raven, Hawk, and to an extent Robin. (huh, all bird-themed characters LOL) But the impression I got from that trailer seems like they tried turning the "grim and gritty" up to 11 for everyone. That can work for Hawk, but Dove slashing opponents with her wings just ends up seeming out of character and coming across as them not quite getting it.
  2. Anothername Well-Known Player

Mostly neat; but what where they thinking with Starfire? oO

Yeah, the actress has a roughly fitting shape and I was looking forward to see her "starfired" up but if they cannot afford the mask/cgi to get it right because the actresses human tan is to dark they should have looked more into the pool of Asian or middle eastern actresses or get a simpler "no cgi required" character instead.

And before someone wants to pull the racist card on me: I love Zoe Saldanas Gamora (Guardians of the Galaxy); an comic alien skin tone done right.

[IMG]

[IMG]

*sigh* Maybe in longer scenes live action Starfire looks better but right now I really doubt it.
    • Like x 1
  3. Shn275 Well-Known Player

You do realize GotG had a film size budget, right!? They could afford to completely transform Zoe into Gamora. This is a TV series, they have to cut corners. And again, ANYONE could play Starfire, the studio chose to go in this direction. How about let's stop harking on her skin color, which does change to orange when she's using her powers I might add, and worry more about her ACTUAL uniform. We still have no idea what it looks like. The ensemble she's wearing in the promos & trailer are supposedly from a costume party she's attending.
  4. Anothername Well-Known Player

Yeah, that is the faint hope that Starfire in the show looks, well, like Starfire. Unlike what we saw in the trailer. And also yes; I do blame the studio; that is beyond the control of the actress.
    • Like x 1
  5. DarkVisor 15000 Post Club

Have nothing against either actress, this is about changing the look of the character, as much as can't stand that "Teen Titans GO!" crap, they at least kept the character closely resembling the comic and the "Teen Titans" character
  6. DarkVisor 15000 Post Club

And you do realise you can get the same effect without spending thousands of dollars on CGI crap? Or do you believe Lou Ferrigno was naturally green or that they even had CGI back then?
    • Like x 1
  7. Shn275 Well-Known Player

Why not just look at her as an "alternate universe" version of the character!? Which, technically, seems like the route theyre going: instead of being hunted by aliens, she's being hunted by govt agents; she's been on Earth for some time living multiple lives but has amnesia; seems to be unaware of her powers & origins.
  8. Shn275 Well-Known Player

Well, you have to also include scheduling. WB/DC probably wanted it "streaming service" ready so as said before, they cut corners. Could they've solved this problem by casting a lighter-skinned black/brown actress, yes, but they chose Anna. I'm still giving her a chance.
    • Like x 1
  9. DCUO Post Loyal Player

• Like x 1
  10. Poison2007 New Player

They had enough funding to make beast boy green, but nobody's talking about that.
  11. Shn275 Well-Known Player

Beyond sad and pathetic. Why attack her for playing a character that has NO human-based, ideological "race"? She's just an actress doing a job she auditioned for. That's why I hate social media sometimes. SMH
    • Like x 1
  12. Shn275 Well-Known Player

Her skin and eyes change color when she's using her powers. With BB, you can't say his skin color is permanent from a few seconds in a clip. I wouldn't be surprised if they cut corners for him as well. Similar to how they're doing Anna's Starfire, I bet you he only turns green when using his powers and doesn't actually transform, just uses the abilities of animals similar to Vixen or Animal Man.
  13. DarkVisor 15000 Post Club

Beast Boy is permanently green, that's why all the aminals and critters he changes into, are also green
    Starfire's skin colour doesn't come from her powers
  14. Shn275 Well-Known Player

I know all of this. Clearly I was referring to this particular series and the studio's attempt at replicating their features and abilities on a budget.
  15. Anothername Well-Known Player

But that is the thing that pisses people off (or at least that should be it instead of the actress who deserves none of that crap). A budget Starfire IMO is worse than none at all.
  16. aurorabenz07 Loyal Player

*My literal reaction*
    [IMG]
    Yeesh, it looks cheap except from the costumes of Robin, Hawk, and Dove. But here we go. One, why is Raven too whiny. Second, Beastboy doesn't show off his powers but apparently now turns green on command. Third, since when does Starfire shoot fire and she's still with her horrible outfit, I'm thinking she's a streetwalker :rolleyes: . And finally, the now infamous Robin line, "F...Batman," while he's killing people. Is he Jason Todd?
  17. DarkVisor 15000 Post Club

It's a bit late for April Fool's, isn't it? Or is this a giant Troll-bait clip?
  18. Ankh_Legacy Devoted Player

This is something that has been bugging me about many reactions to that.

Though true Dick has something of a kinder personality and that line may seem jarring (and totally unneeded for the trailer), it really isn't out of character for what I know of him at the time he quit working with the Bat (at least of that portrayed in animation).

The partnership breakup was not on happy terms. Dick wanted to grow up and be more than a sidekick/lackey of Bats and Bats, well he's Bats, only his will matters. The two may be on friendlier terms later on but at the time it was far from friendly.

As for that line being put in the trailer, it just reeked of desperation to show how edgy the show will be.
    • Like x 1
  19. Anothername Well-Known Player

This is getting stupid. Now black cosplayers showing off better Starfires get accused of racism. How irresponsible and backboneless are these coward producers to not stand up for their mess while the actress gets thrown under the bus?

20. velvetsanity Loyal Player

My problem with the line is this: when has that kind of language ever been part of Grayson’s character? “Screw Batman” fits his character (as we know it) better.

Yeah, it does scream of attempting to emphasize DC’s usual “We are the Grimdark Edgelords!” approach to tv/movie adaptations