The Anime Thread

Discussion in 'Joker’s Funhouse (Off Topic)' started by Free2BeMe, Jul 21, 2014.

1. >>>KIra<<< Dedicated Player

Have anyone heard that "A Certain Magical Index" is going to have a season 3?:)
  2. willflynne 10000 Post Club

So I watched the first episode of Black Clover.

To say there was a Naruto vibe to the main character would be putting it mildly. :D Overall it's not bad for one episode in, but I'm REALLY hoping they tone down the yelling, both for the rest of the show's run and for the dub (it's one of Funimation's simul-dub shows this season). The main character's yelling ranged from mildly annoying to "oh geez, I'm gonna get a headache from this."
    • Like x 1
  3. willflynne 10000 Post Club

Some more quick first impressions.

Recovery of an MMO Junkie: Kind of an interesting premise, and plenty of opportunities for "misunderstandings" humor. It could be fun to watch things unfold among the characters.

Blend-S: Workplace comedy, so there's kind of a Wagnaria vibe to it. There's still a couple of characters from the opening that need to be introduced, but it's fun watching the characters balance their own personalities and the persona they have to portray at work (maid café where each waitress has a certain personality, like tsundere or sadist).

Konohana Kitan: Cute and sweet. Might be a bit too sweet for some, but it has a nice easygoing vibe to it that appeals to me.

Anime-Gataris: I think some might try to compare it on the surface to Gamers! because of the premise (high schoolers trying to re-start an anime club at school). But there's a touch of the unusual here and there and it doesn't seem to have the romantic geometry aspect of Gamers! (at least so far) so I'm just going to go with it for now and see where it takes me. Plus the opening and closing songs for the show are fun, peppy little numbers that might be some of the best ones I've heard in a while.

A Sister's All You Need: I'm not sure about this one yet. The opening gag centers on the main character's "little sister" obsession, and it might be too much for some to get past. On top of that, at least one of the other characters goes a little over the top in her own obsession. And yet it seems like they might be trying to go deeper than that with other parts of the story. I'll have to watch the second episode to get a better idea of where it might be going, I think.
    • Like x 2
  4. Yvtq8K3n Committed Player

I saw it, it was amazing, but i doubt a s3;_;
  5. willflynne 10000 Post Club

Too late to edit, so here's the opening and closing for Anime-Gataris

Like I said, fun and peppy. :D
  6. ThatWriterGuy Active Player

Do you know which anime streaming service Recovery of an MMO Junkie can be found? Is it on Crunchyroll?
  7. willflynne 10000 Post Club

Yeah, it's on Crunchyroll and it's also going to be one of the shows that Funimation will be doing a simul-dub for. First dubbed episode on Funimation is supposed to be October 30.
    • Like x 1
  8. DCUO Post Loyal Player

Does anyone know what episode of Gintama is this?

[IMG]
  9. ThatWriterGuy Active Player

Awesome, I think I might wait for the simul-dub then :)
  10. willflynne 10000 Post Club

Unfortunately no. That show is one that falls into the same category as One Piece or Naruto in that the sheer number of episodes is too intimidating for me to try watching it. LOL Being something of a completionist (gotta see them all) doesn't help matters much.
    • Like x 1
  11. willflynne 10000 Post Club

I know it's probably a "mileage will vary" kind of thing, but I've never really had a problem with watching the simulcast episodes and then re-watching them when the simul-dub would air through Funimation. It helps that there's usually 2-3 weeks between simulcast and simul-dub so there's a little separation.

There are exceptions, though. With My Hero Academia I lost track of the show a bit while watching the simulcasts, and when Funimation started doing a simul-dub for the second season I binge-watched the dub version of the first season to catch up and waited for the dubbed episodes to continue. :D I'll probably do the same with the new season of Blood Blockade Battlefront (why I haven't mentioned that show yet).

Anyhow, if you don't mind essentially watching the same episodes twice in a span of a few weeks, I'd recommend the simulcast of Recovery. Even though it's only two episodes in it's been a decent show so far.
    • Like x 1
  12. aurorabenz07 Loyal Player

Yeah it's a long running anime but gosh darn it, I cannot help but watch and laugh at the randomness the show provides
    [IMG]
    • Like x 1
  13. willflynne 10000 Post Club

I'm down for the weird and all, but sometimes you just look at those episode counts and go, "Nope, can't do it, I'm good reading the story synopsis online." :D
  14. >>>KIra<<< Dedicated Player

Just watched the 1st 2 episodes of voltron season 4 and it was outstanding
  15. willflynne 10000 Post Club

Happy camper time! :D

Checked the ANN site for news today, and lo and behold there's new seasons of Date A Live AND High School DxD coming!!! Nothing concrete about Date A Live other than a new season being in the works, but High School DxD Hero is coming next year.

http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/new...ive-light-novels-get-new-anime-series/.123011

http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/new...l-dxd-hero-anime-promo-video-streamed/.123018

From the looks of the promo video, the new DxD season looks like they'll be maintaining their usual balance of fanservice harem comedy and action, so that's encouraging. I wish there was a little more info on Date A Live, though. But then I'm still kinda waiting to see if Funimation is going to try and bring the Date A Live movie over or not.

Anyhow, I did find it kinda funny how an old school Saturday morning cartoon junkie like me got news of two favorite animated shows of mine coming back on a Saturday morning. LOL
    • Like x 1
  16. willflynne 10000 Post Club

Okay, breathing a sigh of relief now. LOL Funimation has finally announced the simul-dub and casting for Black Clover (starting October 29, for those interested) and they included a trailer featuring the dub voices for Asta and Yuno.

Yes, there's shouting and yelling, that was inevitable. :D But thankfully, the voice actor for Asta doesn't sound like he's going to be going to the extremes seen in the Japanese performance, so hopefully it shouldn't be nearly as irritating watching the dub.

I hope. :)
    • Like x 2
  17. >>>KIra<<< Dedicated Player

Has anyone started "The Ancient Magus Bride" yet?
  18. ThatWriterGuy Active Player

It's on my list of anime to watch.

While we're talking Fall Anime, here's my current Watching list:

Recovery of an MMO Junkie
    Black Clover
    Kino's Journey
    Just Because (Haven't started it yet, though)
    Welcome to the Ballroom (I'm a few episodes behind because I watch it with my friend on his Anime Strike account)

I feel like I'm missing a few but I can't think off the top of my head right now....
    • Like x 2
  19. >>>KIra<<< Dedicated Player

I have been watching some very old anime lately as well as some that come once a week. But I am watching "The Fist of the North Star" and "Robotech" and Black Butler. Keeping up on Boruto and Dragonball Super as they come out. Finish season 4 of Voltron last week. It was outstanding
    • Like x 2
  20. willflynne 10000 Post Club

I keep forgetting about Ancient Magus' Bride, which is kinda shocking considering I've heard nothing but good things about it.

My list is pretty similar to yours, but minus Kino's Journey and the stuff on Anime Strike. Anime-Gataris, Blend-S and A Sister's All You Need are in there, though. The new season of Blood Blockade Battlefront is in there too, but I ended up waiting for the simul-dub (they can throw so much at you it's sometimes easier to hear it than to try and read all of it LOL).
    • Like x 1