The Anime Thread

Discussion in 'Joker’s Funhouse (Off Topic)' started by Free2BeMe, Jul 21, 2014.

1. Davenport Committed Player

I often take time off of manga / anime, and TV shows, to let a lot build up, then binge the hell out of it, lol. I hate the week-by-week wait and all that suspense so I'll generally just pretend it doesn't exist for a while.
  2. FoolsFire Devoted Player

I wouldn't mind some suggestions. I'm not a die-hard anime fan. But there are a few I really enjoyed.

Paranoia Agent
    Death Note
    Soul Eater

I've got a few on the Netflix cue. But are there any that match the three I listed above?
  3. willflynne 10000 Post Club

That was one of the more interesting harem-style comedies, but it's still a harem comedy so it was right in my wheelhouse.

The first season set up a solid foundation that they expanded on in the second season, and about the only real complaint I'd have about the show is that it could REALLY do without some of the situations/scenes involving Maria and Kobato (especially in the first season). The other downside is that so far it's only the two seasons. I'd really like to see more, if for no other reason than to avoid having to buy MORE manga to find out where the story goes. LOL
  4. willflynne 10000 Post Club

Well, I'm clueless as to what's available on Netflix so I wouldn't know if a particular show might be available there or not. LOL

As for similar titles, that's a bit challenging. Both Paranoia Agent and Death Note are so distinctive that it's kinda tough to come up with shows that would match up well AND live up to the bar set by those shows. As for Soul Eater, I haven't watched that one so someone else who's seen it might be a better candidate for offering a suggestion or two.
  5. Davenport Committed Player

I liked Death Note until the end of it. I mean, sure, I bought all the manga as it was released in the U.S., but it left me disappointed at the end.

They did an excellent job picking actors for the Japanese live action movies though. Sure, the second film absolutely sucked (sooooo many problems), but the casting was spot on.
  6. ThatWriterGuy Active Player

Going completely off of what's available on Netflix, I'd suggest:

Madoka Magica (watch the series before you watch the OVAs)
    Fate Stay/Night
    Fate Zero
    Attack on Titan
    DuRaRa

And some anime that's available on the web/Crunchyroll/Amazon Anime Strike that have some similar feels to the ones you listed:

Erased
    Re:CREATORS
    Parasyte
    Psycho Pass
    The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzimiya

And since you like Soul Eater, you might like Rooster Teeth's RWBY. It's not "technically" an anime as it was made in America, but it's since been picked up by WB Japan and dubbed in Japanese and considered an anime by Japanese fans itself. It's an ongoing webseries that you can find every single episode for free on either Rooster Teeth's YouTube channel, or under the RWBY tab on the Rooster Teeth website. The animation and story start off a little slow and choppy, but it gets better and better every single volume, and I promise you as the story progresses, you'll enjoy it so much more and more.
    • Like x 1
  7. profsmalls Active Player

Off the top of my head since you don't seem to delve into Anime much..
    Attack on Titan
    Tokyo Ghoul*
    Psycho Pass

These 3 seem to fit your bill, though I could recommend all day.
    *Tokyo Ghoul is fantastic and sticks with the dark and gritty vibe. I'd highly recommend it as a must watch for newcomers to anime.
    • Like x 1
  8. willflynne 10000 Post Club

Watched the first episode of Funimation's Star Blazers dub.

:D:D:D:D

Overall the designs were refined nicely while still keeping the same kind of aesthetic style in the original, and while the Japanese names are going to take a little getting used to (He's still Derrick Wildstar in my mind LOL) it's hitting all the marks for me.

Two things that were surprisingly effective for me, though, were in the audio and not the visuals. The music is a spot-on recreation of the music from the original series, and I forgot how effective it could be in conveying the moods in the show. But I also forgot how much of an impact the narrator at the end of each episode could have, considering the last words you heard were a countdown of how many days Earth had left to exist.

I'm looking forward to more episodes now, even if the wait will test my patience. :confused:
  9. aurorabenz07 Loyal Player

Hey Everyone
    Does anyone remember the god awful SUPER MARIO BROS live action film in the 80s :oops:
    [IMG]
    Well guess what? It seems Nintendo are currently in talks with Universal's Illumination Enterntainment (Despicable Me, Minions, Sing) for a possible Super Mario Bros animated film. A close source says that the studio wants to assure the people at Nintendo, especially Super Mario creator, Shigeru Miyamoto, that they will be involved with the project.
    [IMG]
  10. DCUO Post Loyal Player

Bulma's Voice Actress Hiromi Tsuru Has Died

[IMG]

Yesterday evening, Hiromi Tsuru was discovered unconscious in a car on along the Shuto Expressway in Tokyo. The vehicle was stopped, the hazard lights were on, and Tsuru was still wearing her seatbelt.

According to Asahi News, the famed voice actress was rushed to the hospital, where she was pronounced dead. Tsuru was only 57 years old.

There were no external wounds and no sign of an accident. Police believe it’s highly likely she died of from an illness. According to Sankei News, authorities are investigating the exact cause.

Update November 17 - 6:30am: It’s now being reported that Tsuru died from aortic dissection.
    Tsuru voiced some of anime’s most beloved characters, including Bulma in the Dragon Ball series, Dokin-chan in Anpanman, Ukyo Kuonji in Ranma ½, Reiko Mikami in Ghost Sweeper Mikami and Meryl Strife in Trigun, among many others. She also voiced video game characters, including Naomi Hunter in the Metal Gear Solid series.

May she rest in peace.
    • Like x 1
  11. >>>KIra<<< Dedicated Player

Black Clover looks like its going to be a good anime
    • Like x 2
  12. Davenport Committed Player

Bulma died?! No bueno.
    NOT BULMA!!! Why couldn't it have been Yamcha?!
  13. willflynne 10000 Post Club

I've liked it so far, but if you have the chance I'd recommend watching the simul-dub from Funimation. It makes listening to Asta a LOT easier. LOL
    • Like x 1
  14. willflynne 10000 Post Club

Just a quick recommendation.

If you haven't checked out Konohana Kitan, I would at least recommend checking out episode 7 of the series, The Transient Guest. That particular episode told a really well crafted story over the two segments, and watching it all unfold was....I don't know, the best word I can come up with without sounding hyperbolic was heartwarming.

The nice thing is that it's something of a standalone episode, so while watching the series might give a little more context about the workers of the hot spring hotel the episode itself doesn't focus on the workers so it can be watched on its own.
  15. Bobby Morningstar New Player

Oh, deep stuff? Using your mind? I know something for you: www.twitter.com/WarriorofYeshua
  16. DCUO Post Loyal Player

I'm surprised that haven't made this series into an anime yet.

[IMG]

Delicious in Dungeon (ダンジョン飯 Danjon Meshi, lit. "Dungeon Food")[1] is a Japanese fantasy comedy seinen manga series written and illustrated by Ryōko Kui (ja). The series is published in Enterbrain's Harta magazine. Yen Press has licensed the series in North America.

Plot:
    In a fantasy world of dungeon exploration, guilds go out on expeditions to raid dungeons, hoping to find the mysterious Golden Kingdom claimed to be the treasure of the dungeon. The story starts with a failed mission, where six members of a team try to take on a dragon but end up escaping at the cost of losing a member to the dragon’s stomach. After this, two team members leave to join another team, leaving only Laios (a human swordsman), Chilchuck (a halfling locksmith), and Marcille (an elven spellcaster) to grieve over Laios’ sister, Farin (a human spellcaster). Feeling indebted to their close teammate Farin, who used magic to teleport the team outside to safety, the remainder of the team brainstorms how to get back to the dungeon level with the dragon in time to save Farin from digestion. Very similar to a roleplaying fantasy game like D&D, the team members must consider the cost of weapons, defense, recruitment fees for more team members, and food. With their money, equipment, and supplies left behind in the dungeon, their mission seems impossible, until Laios suggests they save money and time by finding food to eat within the dungeon. This way, they do not have to downgrade their equipment for money and also do not have to return to the outside every time they need more food. Secretly, Laios has wanted to eat dungeon monsters for a long time. However, this is typically never done and Chilchuck and Marcille are opposed. Laios reassures them that he has a book of what is edible and recipes on how to cook, and they head off to the first floor of the dungeon. The first floor is filled with adventurers and is like a market, and this is where the team meets and joins Senshi, a dwarf who has 10 years of experience sustaining himself from the dungeon.

Every chapter of the manga shows this team of four traveling through the dungeon, introducing environments (such as forests and lagoons) filled with new creatures. These creatures are typical fantasy role-playing game monsters, such as walking mushrooms, screaming mandrakes, huge scorpions, mimics, golems, and slimes. Some, such as the mandrakes, mushrooms, and scorpions are not too difficult to imagine as recipe ingredients, yet others such as slimes and golems showcase Ryoko Kui’s creativity, as slimes become jerky and golems are walking gardens, growing lettuce, turnips, and other vegetables on their back. Each chapter advances the team through a part of the dungeon, and also provides a realistic-looking recipe explanation to the meals they create. The pros and cons of these meals, and the reaction of the characters, especially Marcille, provide much of the humor for the manga. Advancing through the dungeon involves tasks such as dismantling traps, and finding ways to cross the underground lagoon. The manga focuses on world-building detailed fantasy environments, and captures a daily-life snapshot of fantasy dungeon raids and those who embark on them.
  17. willflynne 10000 Post Club

I wouldn't be surprised if that happened with Delicious in Dungeon. Restaurant To Another World translated pretty well for an anime and mixed fantasy and food decently, and the premise sounds unique enough to give it a shot. Guess it might depend on how much traction and popularity the manga gets.
  18. DarkVisor 15000 Post Club

Sounds like something... to really sink your teeth into >_>

Wait, slime gets turned into jerky? Shouldn't that be jelly (or 'jell-o' to certain people)? o_O
  19. Saint Nutella Loyal Player

Attack on Titan
    Bleach
    Naruto
    Hunter x Hunter

Those are my favorites. Death Note comes close too.
    • Like x 1
  20. >>>KIra<<< Dedicated Player

My favorite animes are, Naruto Shippuden, Death Note, Bleach, Saga of Tanya the Evil and Akuma No Riddle