The Anime Thread

Discussion in 'Joker’s Funhouse (Off Topic)' started by Free2BeMe, Jul 21, 2014.

1. aurorabenz07 Loyal Player

Well, looks like the town of Oarai, Japan, famous for being showcased in GIRLS UND PANZER is celebrating the release of the new animated film and will most likely be a definite place to tour next time I go to Japan

2. willflynne 10000 Post Club

Another show finished up, A Centaur's Life.

It's definitely a "slice of life" kind of show, but it's probably the oddest one I've watched. The characters and their interactions are fun to watch, and the designs are good. The Chi sisters are absolutely adorable, but I think it's the first time I could say the same about a snake girl character in the show. LOL It's probably the blue they used for her eyes and head decoration, but she's also a very sweet character so that helps. :D

[IMG]

What makes the show odd is the stories it tells, I think. You get slice of life stuff and a good amount of world building, but the way the world itself gets portrayed ends up having at least some social commentary to sort through. Sometimes it's a little commentary, sometimes a LOT. What doesn't help is that it isn't consistent. You can get a segment or even whole episode where there's little to no commentary and then BAM! it hits like a ton of bricks in the next one. I don't think it's what I'd call whiplash-inducing levels of inconsistency, but it's safe to say that you never quite know what you'll be getting in a particular episode, even when you try to decipher the "next episode" titles at the end of the show.

It's an okay show, but I'm not sure how strongly I could recommend it. You'll get some good slice of life stuff and some fun situations between friends to enjoy, plus a whole lot of cute. But I think a lot would depend on the viewer's own world view and opinions about the subjects they bring up, and how willing they would be to allow their thoughts to be provoked (or at least poked at).
    • Like x 1
  3. DarkVisor 15000 Post Club

Dang! That was the one version wasn't going for when checking out the Sentai site :(

Not in the US, so not sure if those other sites (other than Amazon) would be a valid option

Will check out Crunchy (as long as it doesn't require a valid email) but don't like watching movies online, the quality isn't that great (either because of the playback service {even YouTube loses quality} or this old machine) and just plain prefer owning the product (POO)

Very much thanks for the help :D

{EDIT} Checked out Crunchy, doesn't appear it will be a problem, other than finding the time to watch :p
  4. DarkVisor 15000 Post Club

That... is a lot of work and effort put into 'simple' props, highly detailed and at least one actually moves!
  5. willflynne 10000 Post Club

....aaaand it's time for me to be grumpy again. :mad:

New seasons and new shows are about to start up, which means simulcast announcements are going out. UQ Holder had my interest a bit as I did enjoy the Negima!? series. Plus you've got the new season of Umaru-chan starting up as well. So why am I grumpy?

Because they're only going to be on Amazon's streaming service in the US.

:mad:

Oh well, at least Funimation and Crunchyroll have got some shows coming that have my attention. A new season of Blood Blockade Battlefront alone should lift my spirits a bit.
    • Like x 1
  6. DarkVisor 15000 Post Club

Did manage to watch about 2 and a 1/2 or 3 and a 1/2 episodes of GuP, looking forward to finding the time to watch all 12
    • Like x 1
  7. aurorabenz07 Loyal Player

Enjoy good sir. Also there is an ova where the Oarai girls fight against the Italian team which is not shown in the original series. You should check that out too
  8. DarkVisor 15000 Post Club

Have gotten up to the episode before they battle the Brits
    Was that a BunBun charm on her bag? o_O
    Holy Handgrenades! Attempted to do a search for BunBun, and the page went black!!! :eek:
  9. aurorabenz07 Loyal Player

Hey Everyone
    It seems one of the highest grossing anime in Japan, YOUR NAME, will be getting the live action treatment by Paramount Pictures and J.J. Abrams' Bad Robot working alongside Toho Co. I've never seen the anime but I think I'll check it out to see why it's so popular.
    [IMG]
    The anime follows two teenagers, Mitsuha and Taki, who discover that they have the ability to switch bodies. Over the course of the movie, they realize they move through time as well as space. Soon, one discovers that the other and their town are in grave danger and must race against time to save them.
  10. ThatWriterGuy Active Player

IT'S ONLY THE BEST ANIME FILM OF ALL TIME AND I'M SO MAD THERE'S GOING TO BE A LIVE ACTION REMAKE BECAUSE I JUST DON'T TRUST HOLLYWOOD WITH ANIME ADAPTATIONS ANYMORE
  11. willflynne 10000 Post Club

The original film is getting released on video in the US on November 7, so no matter how good or bad the live action adaptation turns out the original will be available.
  12. GreenLanternForever Well-Known Player

To be fair, this will actually be an adaption of a movie instead of an adaption of a whole series like Death Note. Also its pretty grounded in reality aside from the uhh... time and space stuff, unlike GitS where they have robots, invis camo, Cyberpunk setting etc.

Probably the biggest worry would definitely be the setting. You literally can't have this movie work if it doesn't take place in Japan or well you can but then i wouldnt consider it an adaption.
  13. ThatWriterGuy Active Player

I can't wait for it to be released. I saw it in theaters earlier this year (both the sub and dub), and it was absolutely incredible! I'm excited to buy the Blu-Ray once it comes out :)

Yeah, my biggest worry is that they're going to try to somehow make the movie work with two non-Japanese main characters in an American setting, which literally would make no sense at all since the only reason the main plot works is because of its setting in Japan and the Japanese tradition of the kuchikamizake that allowed them to cross into each other's worlds.
  14. DarkVisor 15000 Post Club

For those building the White Wash Wagon, can you tell me which one of these characters has Asian features? Don't blame HolyWeird for 'white washing' when the Japanese are the ones who supplied the paint
  15. willflynne 10000 Post Club

16. willflynne 10000 Post Club

And just to continue the grumpiness, two other shows that had caught my attention are only going to be on Amazon's service. :mad:

Just Because! and My Girlfriend is Shobitch are two more nabbed by them. The scenarios behind both shows were either interesting or quirky enough that I was curious to see how they would end up being.

Just can't bring myself to paying for the service on top of paying for Amazon Prime. :confused:

EDIT: Yup, thought the title would be edited on the forums. LOL The edited part in the second show rhymes with "witch" if that tells you anything.
  17. DarkVisor 15000 Post Club

Interesting to see that negative stereotypes works both ways, although this one seems deliberate to me, like the artist decided "Let's see how bad we can make this on purpose!", yeah, the live action adaptations of certain anime in the past may have turned out bad, but they did at least try and keep close to the original (and most of the negativity was from idiots looking for something to complain about)
  18. ThatWriterGuy Active Player

Um, they both have brown eyes, black hair, and the girl, Mitsuha, and her family, still dress in traditional Japanese attire and perform Japanese traditions and rituals, and every character lives in Japan. There's nothing about them that says "European" or "white".
  19. willflynne 10000 Post Club

See, this is something that came up with some of the conversations about casting for the Ghost in the Shell film.

Whether it's a conscious decision by those in charge to help expand the potential audience or just an evolution of the artwork in anime, trying to identify the country of origin on a character in anime is tough because the designs themselves can be a bit on the generic side. They lend themselves to interpretation pretty easily, especially in shows where hair and eye color is all over the place (even if the show and characters are all explicitly set in Japan).

When it came to the Ghost in the Shell discussions, the only character from the animated shows/movie I'd definitively say was Japanese just by appearance was the chief. Everyone else could have just as easily been from America or Europe just going by the character's look, even though a vast majority of the names were Japanese.

I won't disagree with you on the subject of the Japanese traditions and rituals being tough to translate over to a Hollywood movie, and I think that will be a major challenge for them to overcome. But with as generic and neutral as the designs for anime characters can be, even in the promo image above, it's not really that much of a stretch to set those characters outside of Japan with a different country of origin.
  20. DarkVisor 15000 Post Club

Asked for signs of Asian features, in the two characters shown, brown eyes and black hair is not an exclusive Asian feature: they have round non-Asian eyes, and pale non-Asian skin, there is nothing about their physical appearance that says "Asian"