The Anime Thread

Discussion in 'Joker’s Funhouse (Off Topic)' started by Free2BeMe, Jul 21, 2014.

1. Yui Loyal Player

2. willflynne 10000 Post Club

So kind of anime related, just started playing Xenoblade Chronicles X tonight, and already I've run across some voices from anime dubs that I find familiar.

Caitlin Glass (Satellizer el Bridget from Freezing, among many other roles) is the voice of the first person you meet in the game, and Cassandra Lee Morris (notable for playing Taiga Aisaka from Toradora!) is the voice of the first person you can add to your party.

On top of that, the character you create for the game can have a variety of voices, and the first two voice choices for male avatars include Yuri Lowenthal and Bryce Papenbrook. So anime dub voices all over the place in that game already.
  3. willflynne 10000 Post Club

Okay, with all the new anime out there and my backlog of newer shows (REALLY gotta take care of my Hulu queue lol), is it strange that I've found myself pulled into an older show like Maria Watches Over Us so quickly? o_O
  4. Yui Loyal Player

5. Yui Loyal Player

No, it's not that strange. Recently, I've been doing the same thing myself. I've been watching Log Horizon and Log Horizon 2 lately, and I just finished Log Horizon 2 yesterday.

I also decided to get caught up with the new anime I've been putting off yesterday. Asterisk War, Chivalry, AntiMagic Academy, and Seraph of the End 2. I had to watch 4-5 recent episodes for each of them (about 20 episodes total) since I stopped watching each of them at episode 5 (luckily I was free yesterday LOL).

On that note, here are my comments on them:

AntiMagic Academy: Things are getting interesting. However, it's kind of going back and forth, like, it goes from "This anime is finally doing okay" to "This anime is really annoys me".

Asterisk War: It's really good. We're finally at the part where the tournament is taking place. At the rate the show is going, however, I can say that a definite conclusion to the anime probably won't happen. It will most likely end in a manner that will set up things for season 2, which has been confirmed already.

Chivalry: It's really good. I'm just worried about how this anime is going to end given how there's only 2 episodes left. We most likely won't get to see the Seven Star Sword Art Festival part of the story. I do at least want to see Ikki and Stella fight over the next 2 episodes in case a season 2 won't happen.

Seraph of the End 2: It's really good.
    • Like x 1
  6. willflynne 10000 Post Club

Good to know I'm not the only one getting sidetracked by older shows. :D

I've been keeping up with Chivalry and Asterisk War, but I'm WAY behind on Seraph of the End. :confused: And between Maria Watches Over Us and the desire to re-watch Wagnaria 3 before the final episode airs after Christmas (really hoping Hulu airs that), that backlog looks to be staying in place for a bit. lol

Even with the similarities between Chivalry and Asterisk War, I wouldn't be surprised to see at least one of them (if not both) get a second season. Personally I'd hope for Chivalry over Asterisk War if it had to be one or the other because I think the characters and story are a little stronger in that show, even if the animation in Asterisk War is better. I have more fun watching Ikki and Stella as they interact.
  7. willflynne 10000 Post Club

8. Malicious VonTain Well-Known Player

9. Yui Loyal Player

Anime based on video games don't usually last that long. It was probably a one time thing that was intended to advertise the DMC games to boost sales.

I mean it does make sense given that DMC 4 was released on PS3 and Xbox 360 worldwide on January/February 2008, which is 5 months after the DMC anime ended in Japan.

It was released on the PC worldwide on July 2008, which is about 1 year and 1 month from when the anime started in Japan.
  10. aurorabenz07 Loyal Player

MACROSS is back! Preview of Macross Delta

[IMG][IMG]
  11. willflynne 10000 Post Club

So I finally made it through all four seasons of Maria Watches Over Us.

Actually it wasn't as bad as it might have sounded in that opening line. :D I can tell when a show has hooked me, as binge watching tends to take place and there was a great deal of binge watching on that show.

The characters and storytelling really are well done in the show. Watching the characters grow, mature and develop as the show goes on is very engrossing. Plus they manage to mix in some good lighthearted/comedic moments all through the series, so the humor along with the strong character development helps balance out the relationship melodrama.

The third season did throw me off a bit, but that was mainly due to running time more than anything else. The third season was a series of OVAs, so you get fewer episodes (5 compared to 12-13 on the other seasons) but longer running times. Took me by surprise on the first episode and could have made me late for work if I hadn't checked the time. LOL Also, the opening song and animation from the fourth season seemed like an odd fit compared to the previous seasons. It's not bad and it works for the show, but it's different enough from the style used in the previous seasons that it might be a bit jarring.

But that's really just nitpicking, to be honest. Good characters and character development along with decent writing and storylines really do make it stand out and rise above some of the pitfalls that similar shows have fallen prey to. I certainly didn't regret watching it, and I went into it a little doubtful that it'd hook me.
  12. Yui Loyal Player

Well, I saw the finale for both Asterisk War and Chivalry yesterday. They were both good.

I want to put my thoughts on both shows, but too lazy right now. I'll post them maybe later.
  13. Yui Loyal Player

14. willflynne 10000 Post Club

15. FullMetalTitan Committed Player

Attack on Titan, Sword art, FairyTail,Death Note, The Devil is a Part-Timer, Irregular at magic school, Seven Deadly Sins, fate/Stay Night UBW. Those are life right now for me :)
  16. Yui Loyal Player

Just saw the finale of Taimadou Gakuen 35 Shiken Shoutai (Anti-Magic Academy: The 35th Test Platoon). Now that the series has finished airing, I can finally say my opinion about this anime.

Well, first of all, Taimadou is the anime I've been keeping a close eye on during this anime season (Fall 2015) because I wasn't sure if I like it or not. It's just one of those anime where things were going back and forth from being good and bad, like, things are going great and then something happens that completely ruins my enjoyment of what was happening so far. I even considered dropping this anime during the first few episodes because it seemed like the story was going nowhere.

The pacing was horrible, character development is also bad, and not to mention that some important elements of the story were left out. One these important elements is the reason why magic is so hated, like, why is magic considered taboo in the series? Sure, magic can be used for evil things, but it can also be used for good things as well. I mean the Academy is already using magic to combat magic in the form of relic eaters. If magic can be used that way, then I'm pretty sure magic can be used to improve the lives of people.

Even though, I considered dropping this anime, I'm glad I didn't. I mean things weren't all that bad. Taimadou's story was interesting in a way. I enjoyed the story somehow. It wasn't a bad anime in terms of plot. It definitely has potential to become a great anime if they fix what they did wrong in delivering the story.

I don't want to ramble too long about my opinion of the story, so let's move on. Next thing I wanna talk about is the visuals of the anime. Let me start of by saying that the visuals of this anime is what kept me watching this anime for the most part. I think the visuals of this anime is really good. The art style and animation were both well-done. The CGI is amazing. Transformation sequences are good. They were all splendid overall.

Rating:
    Plot: 2 out of 5
    Visuals: 4 out 5
    Overall: 6 out of 10
  17. Bendmetal Dedicated Player

Disappointing. The novels offered so much more and I can't think of taimadou as a good adaptation.
    I would recommend you the novels but translator sites were hit by a lot of heavy DMCA's and a lot of japanese light novels were removed, Taimadou included :(
  18. willflynne 10000 Post Club

Shomin Sample seems to have finished up now as well.

All in all it's not a bad show. The "I love muscles" bit Kimito has to keep going to can be a bit on the questionable taste side, but the other humor in the show is pretty consistent with the characters and does deliver some decent chuckles and a few laughs (their interpretation of McDonalds is rather fun). As for the characters, even though the relationships between Kimito and the girls came across as kind of arbitrary at first, they did develop them decently as the show progressed. They also ended things with a few story points up in the air yet (Kimito's childhood friend wondering where he is, along with the story behind the head maid and her relationship with Kimito) so there is food for a second season.

But that's where I start to get a little disappointed. The show was good, but I can't really say it was strong enough to warrant a second season so that those story points (and maybe the wrath of Reiko's mom) could be explored. As much as I enjoyed watching the show, it's one that I wouldn't be surprised to see only one season of when all is said and done. Hopefully I'm wrong and there's enough interest and sales to greenlight a second season.
  19. willflynne 10000 Post Club

20. Yui Loyal Player