The Anime Thread

Discussion in 'Joker’s Funhouse (Off Topic)' started by Free2BeMe, Jul 21, 2014.

1. Leafy Committed Player

2. Yui Loyal Player

3. Yui Loyal Player

4. willflynne 10000 Post Club

5. Sabigya Steadfast Player

Is prior information needed to watch this? I don't have the slightest hint of how Digimon works.
  6. Yui Loyal Player

It's a sequel to Digimon Adventure and Digimon Adventure 02, so I suggest you watch those so you get an idea of how the series works. They're about 50 episodes each.
  7. Yui Loyal Player

Too bad it's only going to be 10 minute short film :/
  8. DarkVisor 15000 Post Club

Have only watched the original Digimon series, maybe the second season, but stopped when it moved into the 'real world' with some government agency using Digimon 'partnered' (ie 'slaved') with humans fighting rogue 'wild' Digimon breaking through to 'our' world (or something like that)
  9. DCUO Post Loyal Player

[IMG]

This a new chapter in the Universal Century, based on the Manga. No more magical kids. We are going into the Thunderbolt Zone.

[IMG]

[IMG]
    • Like x 1
  10. willflynne 10000 Post Club

Given how good it looks, 10 minutes might be all they could have afforded to make.
  11. Gale Reaper Dedicated Player

The movie/4 episodes were basically designed as a nostalgia bomb for old fans with no intention of drawing in new potential audience. So, yes it is highly advised to get prior information, 90% of it from the first season (Digimon adventure 1).

Personally, I don't think I would've liked Digimons if I hadn't watched it as a kid( luckily I did ), given that it radiates with now-cliched friendship powers and plot armor.
  12. Gale Reaper Dedicated Player

I have to argue with this. The big reason why I like Digimon instead of Pokemon is because Pokemons are the ones actually "slaved". They're just means to someone's end. Most if not all of them, except Pikachu (well even Pikachu has like half a personality) don't even have personalities.
    Digimon are different. They have personality. They have character and interpersonal relationships development. Both parties in Digimon- DigiDestined need each other, whereas only Pokemon trainers are the one needing Pokemons.
    • Like x 1
  13. willflynne 10000 Post Club

If you haven't seen it, give this article a read, it's a pretty good one.

http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/feature/2015-11-13/why-we-still-love-digimon/.95252
  14. DarkVisor 15000 Post Club

You (possibly) misunderstood me: the reason for me not liking that series was because, to me, it seemed the Digimon were being forced to work with the humans to fight and 'digitize' their wild brethren

Much preferred the first two(?) seasons when that group of kids ended up in the digital world
  15. Yui Loyal Player

Just wanted to say that Funimation is currently offering a free 30-day trial to its streaming service. Click the link below if you're interested.
    https://t.co/SXBOwcp2ZH
  16. willflynne 10000 Post Club

I've been more distracted by their contest to win an anime voice acting experience. :confused:

I swear, the more time passes, the more I'm convinced that my mid-life crisis will take the form of me chucking it all and trying to become a voice actor for anime/animation. LOL
    • Like x 1
  17. willflynne 10000 Post Club

Well, I picked up and watched B Gata H Kei/Yamada's First Time recently.

A fun show and an interesting take on romantic comedies, considering the female lead's stated goal is to sleep with 100 guys. Her first target (and the male lead) Kosuda is a guy you end up feeling for pretty easily. He does fit some of the "hapless/clueless guy" stereotypes, but to be fair Yamada's behavior doesn't exactly help him (or her own goals) all that much. It does lead to some good comedic moments, as does the running commentary of Yamada's behavior by her best friend Takeshita. Add in the commentary and bits with some of the character's Eros Deities (basically representations of the libidos) and the fun continues.

I did struggle a bit finding the groove of the show at first, though. Each episode is separated into two parts, and I was a bit tired from work this week so that may not have helped in getting into the swing of things. I'm a little inclined towards the "being tired" reason because after getting a little rest later in the week I had no problems clicking with the show. But the episode separation does take a little getting used to. Also, the whole bit with the Kanejo family (particularly the sister's romantic obsession) kind of fell flat for me, but that may be a "mileage may vary" kind of thing.

One thing that is surprising is that, even with Yamada's stated goal and some of her own behavior, there's surprisingly little in the way of nudity in the show. Plenty of bouncing lady parts and fan service moments, to be sure, but it isn't until just about the end of the series that they show anything. It works though, as it really does fit the scene pretty well.

It was a show I took a chance on in a purchase (recently became one of Funimation's discount S.A.V.E. titles and it was decently discounted online to boot), but I don't regret either the purchase or the time spent watching.
    • Like x 1
  18. Sabigya Steadfast Player

I love the old man(?)/woman with a beard on the cloud who casually comes in and commentates on the situation.
  19. willflynne 10000 Post Club

Yup, the Eros Deity for Yamada. Haven't watched the Japanese language version, but Alexis Tipton knocked it out of the park with her performance on that character. The Eros Deity for Kosuda is a pretty good one too.

On an unrelated side note, I just now noticed that the forums edited the name of Yamada's best friend. LOL
  20. willflynne 10000 Post Club

I think this is a first, I just found myself disappointed with a dub performance on a show I enjoy greatly.

When I picked up B Gata H Kei I also got Love, Chunibyo and Other Delusions! Heart Throb. For the second season they included an English dub (not on the standard release of the first season, though) and after refreshing myself with the first episode in Japanese I gave the English dub a shot.

:oops:

Part of it is that the dub actors don't seem to have the same zeal and enthusiasm of the Japanese version. But the big thing is that the English voices for Rikka and Yuta just didn't fit well in my view.

It's a little disappointing. I remember seeing that Britteny Karbowski was cast for Dekomori and thought she might be able to pull it off, but I couldn't get past Rikka and Yuta's performance to check it out.