The Anime Thread

Discussion in 'Joker’s Funhouse (Off Topic)' started by Free2BeMe, Jul 21, 2014.

1. willflynne 10000 Post Club

Still waiting on new season shows to start showing up *tapping foot semi-patiently*

But in the meantime, Sentai Filmworks just announced an English dub for My Love Story!!

http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/daily-briefs/2016-01-05/my-love-story-to-get-english-dub/.97241

I'm a little torn and hesitant about it. I think part of it is because I was disappointed with the dub casting on the Love, Chunibyo and Other Delusions series, plus after watching the show it's tough to imagine English voice actors pulling off the roles. It's really tough to imagine someone pulling off the combination of gruffness, enthusiasm, goofiness and sweetness that is Takeo.

I could be worried for nothing, though. Guess I'll just have to wait and see who they announce for the cast and watch clips once they're available to get a better idea.
  2. DarkVisor 15000 Post Club

Damn! It sucks only knowing one language when it comes to anime: you are forced to either miss out on some great shows, or be forced to watch an inferior product :(
  3. willflynne 10000 Post Club

I think it depends on the company involved. I've yet to see a bad dub casting from anything Funimation has licensed, for example, and my disappointment with the Love, Chunibyo casting was really the first I've come across with dub casts.

Also, at least with US releases, you'll see a lot of the same names showing up among the casts, even when the shows are coming from two different distributors like Funimation or Sentai Filmworks. So unless they do a horrible job translating or have a voice director that just doesn't know what they're doing, you can count on quality performances from watching past work of certain actors.

For example, I've not seen the show Snow White with the Red Hair, but from what little I know of the characters I know that casting Brina Palencia as Shirayuki was a good choice because she can pull off strong characters well thanks to past work of hers that I've seen. In fact that casting choice actually has me curious about checking that show out now.
  4. DarkVisor 15000 Post Club

It wasn't really a gripe, more of a grumble :p

But, sometimes the problem is not just the dub but the editing they go through (the only show have seen both versions of has been 'Sailor Moon', and while not disappointed, just a little saddened about some of the changes {namely Saturn and Uranus})
  5. willflynne 10000 Post Club

Editing hasn't seemed to be a recent problem, at least in my experience. Older shows like Sailor Moon and Gatchaman (when it came to the US as Battle of the Planets) seemed to suffer more from that kind of thing, especially if it was something that was being broadcast on TV. From the point of view of some, the originals got butchered for US broadcast.

Shows these days seem to come over more or less intact, with the worst problem being dialogue changes. That usually comes from poor/challenging translations (Japanese word puns/jokes tend to be tough to translate well), but it can also show up in dubs where the English writers change the dialogue to make a better fit for English audiences.

Well, maybe you could call certain tricks like shadows, beams of light and strategically placed steam that are used to cover up the female anatomy "editing," but with some of those shows those can magically disappear when it comes to the home video release. There is only so much you can get away with on broadcasts, after all, even in Japan. :D
  6. Yui Loyal Player

7. willflynne 10000 Post Club

Well, before I start digging into the new season and giving some initial impressions, I'll throw in a micro-review of Invaders of the Rokujyoma?!

Not a bad show, even though it's one that can be dismissed at first glace. The girls in the show can easily fall into some expected archetypes/stereotypes you can see in anime (clumsy girl, tsundere, etc) and the first episode throws them all out there in one big batch. It can initially seem kind of messy.

But as the show progresses and each girl gets the spotlight, there's some actual character growth and depth shown. Add in the bonus of some decent comedy (not laugh out loud all the time, but funny) and some plot threads thrown out there for possible exploration and it's an overall decent show. The downside of the show is that, kind of like Shomin Sample, I'm not sure if it was strong enough to call for a second season to explore those plot threads, even though the final episode highlighted how much unexplored territory there is.

It may not be to everyone's tastes, but there are worse shows to spend the time on. I'd at least recommend giving it a shot.
  8. LIEUTENANT MARVEL Well-Known Player

Hi,

I know this is an anime thread but where can I read some cool manga? Hajime No Ippo is the only good manga I read now. Any reccomendations where the plot and the fight scenes are cool?

Thanks.
  9. Yui Loyal Player

I use mangafox and mangastream to read manga.
    • Like x 1
  10. DarkVisor 15000 Post Club

Pururin used to have good Manga >.>
    But haven't been able to get that site to load in a couple months now :(
  11. willflynne 10000 Post Club

12. Bendmetal Dedicated Player

No. Hulu is absolutely horrible at subs, I mean HAVE YOU SEEN RAKUDAI?
    Also I have quite the long line up, I'm overwhelmed personally:eek:.
    The one I am most excited for is Bahamut. It is definitely unique, and (unlike antimagic) will have some leeway with it's plot progression. Also, none of the girls in the harem are ones you can hate. Even the man hater, who instead becomes a man eater.
  13. willflynne 10000 Post Club

Can't say I have heard of RAKUDAI, the show doesn't sound familiar.

With anime, though, I don't think Hulu does the subtitling. If you look at the anime shows available there, you'll see a variety of font styles and colors used for the subtitles. But the shows that are licensed by Funimation all share the same font style and color, and it matches up to what you see on their home video releases. The same holds true for shows from NIS America and Sentai Filmworks. I can't say if it matches up fully with shows from Aniplex, though. All their shows on Hulu use the same font style, but I don't know if it matches their home video releases because their releases tend to be a bit too pricey for me, but I'd imagine there's a good chance both simulcast and video release fonts are the same.

The only possible exception I can think of is stuff from Viz. When I tried to watch some of their shows, I actually had to turn on subtitles in the Hulu menu to get any kind of English version.

If all that's the case, then all the subtitling for anime comes from the license companies (Funimation, Sentai, etc) and Hulu just makes it available, so any subtitle problems there are probably coming from the license company itself. And for whatever it's worth, the article did say Bahamut is being licensed by Sentai for home video, so there's a better-than-decent chance they'll be handling the subtitling.

Unless with "subs" you mean "subscriptions to their site," in which case never mind all this. :D
  14. Yui Loyal Player

Rakudai Kishi no Cavalry or Rakudai Kishi no Eiyuutan is Chivalry of a Failed Knight.
  15. willflynne 10000 Post Club

Ah. That's what I get for sticking to the English titles. :oops:

There were some problems with the subtitles on Hulu on that show, I won't deny it. From what I can remember, though, it was one of the first Sentai-licensed titles on Hulu that showed up the same week as it was broadcast. The majority of Sentai-licensed shows that are simulcast on Hulu tend to be a few weeks behind the broadcast in Japan and simulcasts on other streaming sites (three to four weeks is the norm).

It could just be the results of having to rush to keep up with the weekly broadcasts and mistakes being made. Things tend to be a little cleaner and showing fewer translation/grammar mistakes with the delayed shows from Sentai.
  16. LIEUTENANT MARVEL Well-Known Player

I use those sites. Do you know any great titles? I feel like Japan is underachieving in manga right now. I am reading a Korean manga right now. Sorry if I said korean manga. I forgot the term.
  17. Yui Loyal Player

Now that I've seen a fair amount of the new anime airing this season, I'd like to do a brief comment on each one I've seen so far based on the first episode.

Assassination Classroom 2 - Decent first episode. There wasn't really much action, but it was still good nonetheless.

Boku dake ga Inai Machi / ERASED - Definitely a really great anime. It's most likely going to be one of my anime of the season.

It reminds me of Steins;Gate and Life is Strange. It also involves time travel like them. If you like either one of them or time travel in general, you'd probably be interested in this anime.

Bubuki Buranki - Interesting first episode. I wouldn't say it was really good, but it wasn't really bad either.

Dagashi Kashi - This is one of the anime I was looking forward to this season, but sadly, it wasn't really what I expected it to be. I mean don't get me wrong. It wasn't bad and I definitely would keep watching it. It's just that I was hoping for more from this anime.

Dimension W - It was good. I wasn't really expecting much out of this anime. It was just a random anime from this season that I added to my list. However, when I saw it, I was blown away. It's definitely an anime I would continue to watch this season.

Divine Gate - Looks interesting. It's one of those anime with students who have abilities again lol.

Durarara!!x2 Ketsu - It was good.

Fairy Tail Zero - It was good. I've already finished the Fairy Tail Zero manga so I already know how good the story is and how the story will go.

From this first episode, I can definitely tell that you can watch this arc/anime without seeing the main Fairy Tail anime because it's a prequel, so don't worry about missing anything important if you decide to watch this arc/anime. If you do decide to watch this arc/anime, it might be listed as "Fairy Tail Episode 91"

GATE 2 - It's really good.

Hai to Gensou no Grimgar / Grimgar of Fantasy and Ash - This is another anime I was looking forward to this season. However, it wasn't what I expected it to be unfortunately. I mean it wasn't really bad, but I feel like the plot needs a little more work. I would still continue watching it though.

HaruChika - It wasn't bad, but out of all the first episodes I've seen so far this season, this one had the weakest one. Similar to Hibike Euphonium.

Musaigen no Phantom World / Myriad Colors Phantom World - It was a good first episode. It's very similar to Kyoukai no Kanata given how both of them involves monsters and spirits. Well, I shouldn't really be surprised since KyoAni produced both of them.
  18. Bendmetal Dedicated Player

This new season is filled with potential. Also, ERASED is definitely one you should keep your eye on. I've read the manga, and I couldn't stop reading.
    Grimgal looks bad, but trust me you are not ready to see what happens next episode. I know I'm not :(
    I read dimension w a long time ago, and I have to say damn my past self for being so stupid. I like this show and the vibes it gives me
    HaruChika is something I can't describe. It has potential, I can't deny that.
    Divine Gate is something of a surprise. I will continue to follow it
    Dagashi Kashi, It looks a bit rushed but I know Hotaru can make it better \(ツ)/
    Phantom World, I have to say Mai is interesting in 4 different ways, and 2 of them are quite big if you catch my drift. The show itself is good
    Active raid is... I have to say...her english interjections are amusing because they sound absolutely hilarious. I will keep on my watch
  19. willflynne 10000 Post Club

Holy moley did Hulu just drop a bunch of shows onto viewers! :eek:

Of course we've got the new seasons starting (get into those another time) so there's that, but a bunch of older series were brought to the service. A couple of them I know are "renewals" (Kimikiss and Special A were there before but are showing as recently added now) and they brought in a couple of Fist of the North Star series as well (the New OVA series and Legends of the Dark King). But in addition, they brought in the following older shows:
    • Blue Drop
    • Dokkoida?!
    • Uta~Kata
    • Tears to Tiara
    • Daphne of the Brilliant Blue
    • Destiny of the Shrine Maiden
    • Ghost Hound
    • Shugofumi
    Usually with older shows it's a couple here and there in a month, but 10 older shows is a little surprising.
  20. SpagTheTapdancer Well-Known Player

batoto, kissmanga, many others. I recommend knights of sidonia and dorohedoro.
    • Like x 1