The Anime Thread

Discussion in 'Joker’s Funhouse (Off Topic)' started by Free2BeMe, Jul 21, 2014.

1. Tiffany6223 Devoted Player

AWWWWWWWWW…. Spoilers……. ;(

How much does HIDIVE cost?
  2. willflynne 10000 Post Club

According to their website, it's $4.99 a month (plus applicable taxes) with a seven-day free trial.
    • Like x 1
  3. Tiffany6223 Devoted Player

7 days huh? Hmmm…..
  4. Tiffany6223 Devoted Player

So I watched the first episode of Beast Tamer. I think it has the potential of being a really good show. Our MC (Main Character), Rein, has recently become unemployed and is feeling really down on himself. Deciding to become an adventurer, he sets off on completing the Guild test for adventurers, as they can’t have just anybody becoming an adventurer and giving the Guild a bad name.

During his trial, he meets a beautiful cat girl having a bad day.

There are some Banished From the Heroes Party vibes about it, which was a really good anime in and of itself.

I recommend everyone check out Beast Tamer. It appears to be a light hearted type of anime.
    • Like x 1
  5. willflynne 10000 Post Club

Felt the same, I was a little worried about the whole "taming sentient creatures" bit and how that might come across (if collars appeared around the neck after a contract it might have been problematic) after watching the initial trailer.

Something that surprised me was making the whole Hero's party a bunch of creeps. Even in Banished from the Heroes Party there was only one creep. LOL
    • Like x 1
  6. Tiffany6223 Devoted Player

I believe Kanade is going to start referring to herself as Rein's wife lol
    • Like x 1
  7. willflynne 10000 Post Club

One other thing, I can understand getting a vibe similar to Banished from the Hero's Party, but the bit at the end with Kanade's amazement at Rein's taming abilities and his nonchalant answer kind of reminded me of Lloyd from Suppose a Kid from the Last Dungeon Boonies Moved to a Starter Town.

• Like x 1
  8. Tiffany6223 Devoted Player

Oh I forgot about that one! You are sooo right! “Everybody back home can do it” lol
  9. willflynne 10000 Post Club

So I checked out Shinobi no Ittoki.

The premise is that a young man discovers he's to be the successor of a ninja village, and how he gets to learn that is, well, rather action-packed and mainly the result of his first date ever. LOL Overall I think the show has potential. The animation is pretty decent and the fight scenes were pretty well done, I thought. Plus I'm sure there's going to be some comedic potential in Ittoki adjusting to his new reality.

My only real worry is that the story could be a little rushed. For example, I think it might have been better served to have gotten to see/know the people around Ittoki better before they were all revealed to be ninjas. I'll still give it a chance to see how it goes though, it's got my interest at least.
    • Like x 1
  10. Sghoul Well-Known Player

Coming in because Tiffany invited me. Not sure how much I will post, as my tolerance for many Anime tropes seems to be on a short fuse these days. I have however been watching them to one degree or another my whole life (if we count Americanized Speed Racer and Gigantor).

Recently I did enjoy Kotaro Lives Alone. It was rather heartwarming. And Aggresuko tends to put a smile on my face. I have played through the various Persona games (3-5) several times, as well as the Yakuza games, which I would count as pretty Anime-ish.

I finished HunterxHunter...which was painful. I remember watching the first season or 2 WAY back when and largely loved it, but that saga with the Chimera ants to finish it was SO drawn out. I found myself skipping stuff just to get to something actually happening.

I find that the thing I tend to enjoy a good bit these days are Anime that seem to show Japanese life. I do also like stuff that is more out there, but they tend to lose steam for me. Like Attack on Titan or One Punch Man. First seasons of both were fantastic. But AoT started falling apart for me as the mysteries were revealed (and again, how they dragged them out). And OPM S2 focused too much on that villain who was bullied as a kid, as though that absolved him of becoming a psychopath.

I am down for suggestions, so long as they are on Netflix, HBO, or Hulu :)
    • Like x 1
  11. willflynne 10000 Post Club

Welcome to the fun! :)

I don't think I can give any recommendations from Netflix or HBO (no subscriptions there), but I can check Hulu to see what they might have. Slice-of-life is a decently popular genre in anime and there's plenty to look into. Those also tend to be one season (12-13 episodes) so they're pretty easy to go through. The downside is that some of them do use fantasy/fantastical worlds and environments to tell their stories, so some might turn you off. As an example, the show By The Grace of the Gods is very much a slice-of-life kind of story, but it starts with the main character passing away and being reincarnated to live an easy-going life in another world.

Anyhow, I'll check Hulu sometime and see if there might be anything that is worth a look. I keep forgetting they do have some anime (usually watch my shows on Crunchyroll or HIDIVE). LOL
    • Like x 1
  12. Sghoul Well-Known Player

Slice of life in fantasy or sci-fi won't bother me. Its the over the top drawn out stuff, or just illogical stuff that doesn't make sense even within the world they created. I know there is a term for those kinds of things in Anime...like DBZ.

Basically I am just older now and have less time to watch stuff, so I want it to be more quality for my time :)
    • Like x 1
  13. willflynne 10000 Post Club

So Hulu has a slice-of-life section when you look up their anime, so you can get some suggestions there. Fair warning, though, Your Lie in April can be a gut-wrencher.

Otherwise, I'd suggest Horimiya or My Love Story. And if you are interested, they do have that show I mentioned earlier, By the Grace of the Gods available as well.
    • Like x 1
  14. willflynne 10000 Post Club

And just as a follow-up, I didn't check to see what languages are available for the shows I suggested, but the English dubs for Horimiya and My Love Story are good ones, so you get a good show with those two whether dubbed or subbed.

I can't remember if I checked out the dub for By the Grace of the Gods, though.
    • Like x 1
  15. willflynne 10000 Post Club

I gave The Eminence in Shadow a try.

The premise:

Even in his past life, Cid's dream wasn't to become a protagonist or a final boss. He'd rather lie low as a minor character until it's prime time to reveal he's a mastermind or at least, do the next best thing-pretend to be one. And now that he's been reborn into another world, he's ready to set the perfect conditions to live out his dreams to the fullest. Armed with his overactive imagination, Cid jokingly recruits members to his organization and makes up a whole backstory about an evil cult that they need to take down. Well, as luck would have it, these imaginary adversaries turn out to be the real deal—and everyone knows the truth but him.

Strangely enough, the opening episode hints at that but does an interesting turn in showing how others around him see him (before he gets isekai-ed). So it's definitely playing with the genre a bit, but he is VERY much still in the throes of chunibyo (speaking ominously in English at one point near the end of the first episode LOL).

If the premise does play out as described, though, it sounds like it'll be something of a twist on the character dynamics we see in Overlord. That could be fun to watch, so I'll keep watching to see how it goes.
    • Like x 1
  16. Tiffany6223 Devoted Player

Welcome! *hugs*

On Crunchyroll for this Autumn, you might like Legends of Galactic Heroes. I’ve watched the previous seasons and I actually liked it. It is definitely Sci Fi lol

I tend to like the Rom/Coms or Isekia genre like A Couple of Cookoos & That Time I got Reincarnated as a Slime.
  17. Tiffany6223 Devoted Player

Ok, so after this latest episode of "Beast Tamer", I am now more confident than ever that Kanade is in love with Rein, and will identify herself to the other Ultimate Species girls as his "wife". lol

I hope that the Hero's Party will come to regret how poorly they treated Rein.

I hope others will enjoy "Beast Tamer" as much as I am so far.
    • Like x 1
  18. willflynne 10000 Post Club

I don't know for sure about the "wife" part, I think we'll have to wait and see when the next ultimate comes in next week.

Overall I've been pleasantly surprised with the series so far. The bit in the bar (being dragged off with the table still on his face) had me laughing, that was a great visual gag. Plus they're really going out of their way to paint the hero's party as REALLY unlikeable, but it was fun seeing them being given some clues that Rein wasn't as useless as they thought.
    • Like x 1
  19. willflynne 10000 Post Club

The Maid I Hired Recently is Mysterious finished up its run.

It kinda surprised me that it was only 11 episodes, but overall I think it was for the best, as I think they had told as much story as they actually could in the season. Anything else might have seemed forced or rushed, especially with the slower pace they kept through the series.

Overall, I thought it was a rather sweet show. The aesthetics of where and how people in that town live initially threw me off, as it made it tough to figure out if the story was in a setting in the not-too-distant-past or not. And I can see how some might not agree with whatever level of relationship exists between Yuuri and Lilith, as it could be very problematic. But I think the last episode put a decent definition of where both stood going forward.

Very much a cute, low-key show with some sweetness sprinkled here and there. I don't know if I can give it a whole-hearted recommendation, but it's not bad and I don't feel like I wasted my time watching it.
    • Like x 1
  20. Tiffany6223 Devoted Player

It was a really great show, and you are right, the aesthetics were off. One moment it was like the early 20th Century and the next Lilith is giving Yuuri a new Nintendo Switch lol. The vast age difference between the characters was odd for it to be an implied love story unless I am totally mistaken.

It would have been super awesome if it was revealed that Lilith was the Great Jahy’s sister :)
    • Like x 1