The Anime Thread

Discussion in 'Joker’s Funhouse (Off Topic)' started by Free2BeMe, Jul 21, 2014.

1. willflynne 10000 Post Club

Couple more bits of "fun with names" in The Eminence in Shadow.

We've got a tournament going on, and we get to see folks entering the arena in the hopes of summoning an ancient warrior to prove their mettle. As such, beyond a guy who looks like a baseball player with an appropriate baseball-themed name, we get to meet two warriors who fail to summon opponents.
    • Neks Tinline
    • Stihl-Aint Hapnin
    :D
    • Like x 2
  2. willflynne 10000 Post Club

Well, I've got at least one day in the new anime season that's gonna be full of shows I want to watch, at least on Crunchyroll. LOL

Crunchyroll Announces Release Schedule for Winter 2023 Anime Season (Updated) - News - Anime News Network

On one day, we've got the new Trigun series (the latest trailer has made me think I should give it a shot) AND the new seasons of The Misfit of Demon King Academy and Don't Toy with Me, Miss Nagatoro being simulcast. And if I remember right, I think the new episodes of Welcome to Demon School, Iruma-kun drop on that day as well.

A few others in there have my attention, like Tomo-chan is a Girl! and the new season of By the Grace of the Gods. Plenty to choose from, really.
    • Like x 2
  3. willflynne 10000 Post Club

So the fall season is starting to wrap up, and the first one to finish (of the shows I watched) is Shinobi no Ittoki.

At best, I can say the show was okay with some great moments sprinkled throughout. You have some decent bits of humor, some solid action (especially as the series finishes) and some dramatic elements which do have some impact (dead means dead in this show).

Unfortunately the writing or presentation (still not 100% decided on which was the culprit) wasn't as strong as it could have been. The tone could vary a bit during episodes, and the dramatic turns (particularly betrayals, because you HAVE to have betrayals in a ninja story lol) didn't have quite the impact they could have had. Also, the ending was a little weak for me. I think they could have done a full episode to wrap up things and show where everyone ended up after all the events, and maybe even showed how the relationships between the characters ended up. Instead we get a "several years later" epilogue after the end credits run, and it just ended up feeling a little flat to me.

I don't know if it's one I'd recommend, but the show has enough moments that it could earn a look. The elements of ninja society and tech in their world is interesting enough for a look-see, but I think it could have been a better show than it ended up being.
    • Like x 2
  4. willflynne 10000 Post Club

• Like x 2
  5. Tiffany6223 Loyal Player

Awesomeness, I have just watched the new Iseki Quartet: Another World…. I believe this is a must see. It is really good if you enjoyed Overlord, RE:Zero, Rise of the Shield Hero, Tanya the Evil, and Konosuba: God’s Blessing on this Wonderful World.

This is an hour plus long movie, and it is really well written. I love seeing all of my favorite characters together in the same anime, and seeing the camaraderie that has blossomed between these character for each other is really touching to me.

I hope you will enjoy this anime movie as much as I did.
    • Like x 2
  6. willflynne 10000 Post Club

I've been a little hesitant to jump into Isekai Quartet because I'm only familiar with half the shows featured in the first season. Loved Overlord and Konosuba but never gave a look at RE: Zero or Tanya the Evil. I think part of the hesitation is fearing that I won't get the references or any humor that might be associated with those shows. LOL
    • Like x 1
  7. willflynne 10000 Post Club

More Than A Married Couple, But Not Lovers finished up.

Start to end, that was a surprisingly good show with solid relationship development over the season. Like I said in another post, by all rights it shouldn't have been because of the premise, but they had some rock solid writing all the way through. It wasn't always subtle (the scenery during the race between Akari and Shiori in the last episode being a perfect example) but it was solid.

I'd go into more details but I'm afraid I'd be getting into potential spoiler territory. But if you want a good romantic comedy with decent depth and character development, it's definitely one to watch. I'd recommend it, for sure.
    • Like x 1
  8. Tiffany6223 Loyal Player

ABSOLUTELY ! ! !

Just for the record, I'm on team Akari.
    • Like x 1
  9. Tiffany6223 Loyal Player

I can totally agree with your being hesitant to watch it because of not seeing the 2 animes. There are a lot of funny moments that references something that happened in one of those animes. Saga of Tanya the Evil is one I surprisingly enjoyed. Which surprised me since I'm more of a Rom/Com, Slice of Life kind of girl, lol. Also I found myself watching RE:Zero for some reason. It was a difficult anime for me to watch because of the drama/trauma the main character experienced. Maybe it was because of the romance between Subaru and Emilia that kept me watching it. RE:Zero was also difficult for me to watch because of jumping around that occurred. There is a reason it jumps around because the jumping around is actually a part of the story itself.

Isekai Quartet is just a fun show, it's really enjoying to watch, and getting the subtle references or seeing how the main characters from these different animes interact with each other given their personalities makes it even more fun to watch!

The move just really shows the character development and growth they all experience within Isekai Quartet itself. They have developed friendships, strengthened bonds, and learned to work with each other to overcome challenges they face by using the strength of their on individual & unique talents.
  10. willflynne 10000 Post Club

I think with either choice, it's a good one for Jiro because it (theoretically) means he learns he's worthy of love/affection. I think there's enough of a combination of low self-esteem AND introversion on his part that he doesn't seem to think they might feel that way about him.

That being said, I think Akari is the better of the two choices because I feel she's played a large part in his growth so far and I think they could both grow together well. Shiori is a sweet and wonderful girl and has more of a history with Jiro, but I'm not sure I could see her pushing Jiro to be the best version of himself like Akari could.

All I know for sure is that they'd better announce a second season soon. LOL
    • Like x 1
  11. Tiffany6223 Loyal Player

• Like x 1
  12. >>>KIra<<< Dedicated Player

• Like x 1
  13. Chaos Evolution Devoted Player

• Like x 1
  14. willflynne 10000 Post Club

Uzaki-Chan Wants to Hang Out! season two and Love Flops finished up.

Uzaki-Chan was a lot of the same from the first season, but we get introductions to Uzaki and Sakurai's families to expand on the cast and inform us about how and why the two of them are the way they are. I think there's an argument to be made that they stretched things out too much at times this season, but overall if you liked the first season you'll probably like season 2.

Love Flops was indeed more than it appeared to be, as I thought. My pardon in advance for being vague, but if I talk about details it's SERIOUS spoiler territory. I think the story they told was decently done, and right up to the end I was pretty okay with it. But the ending at the very least weakened the story. For some it might outright ruin things, but I kept in mind that it was, from the start, a harem comedy and it does kinda explain why they ended it the way they did.

A decent/okay show, but a lot will depend on how the ending sits with the viewer.
    • Like x 1
  15. willflynne 10000 Post Club

So a slight correction, turns out Beast Tamer was the first of the shows I watched that finished up. LOL Been a busy holiday season, so it just slipped my mind, I guess.

It was different from what I expected. I was initially relieved that they didn't go in a creepy direction with the taming of sentient species (it was a worry from what I saw in the first trailer). I won't deny that they hit a lot of tropes you might see in a show like that (OP protagonist, new girls added to the group/harem), but there was enough humor to it that it helped blunt any eye-rolling that might come with those tropes. Rein being kind of oblivious to how strong he was, for example, was a decent running joke through the series run. And I still giggle a bit over this bit.

It's the bit with the table that gets me. :D

Funny thing, though, with as cute and humorous as the show can be, there's always a bit of a dark undercurrent to it. It's very much in the same vein as you might see in classic fairy tales, whether it's Rein's backstory or the behavior of the Hero's Party (among other things in the show). But I think they balanced it well, as the show doesn't go 100% dark or too sweet and bright. Going for that balance in tone isn't easy, but I think they did at least a decent job of it.

If you can get past some of the tropes that might provoke an :rolleyes: and give the show a chance to tell its story, I think the show is worth a look.
    • Like x 2
  16. willflynne 10000 Post Club

Dipped my toes into some of the new offerings, Tomo-chan is a Girl!, Ningen Fushin: Adventurers Who Don't Believe in Humanity Will Save the World and The Ice Guy and His Cool Female Colleague.

Tomo-chan is a fun one, a rom-com where the guy is oblivious beyond oblivious to his longtime friend. As such, it does hit some of the tropes you might expect, but even in the first episode there's hints of possible progress (the guy gets surprisingly upset at the idea of Tomo having a boyfriend, for example). There's also a decent range of characters around the main couple, so the potential for hijinks are there. I'm at least giving it a shot so far.

Ningen Fushin might have tried dropping too much backstory on the four main characters in that one episode, but the premise has my interest. You have four people who were done wrong in their lives, but in response to those actions they've all gone down bad paths as a result. So right from the start you have four flawed individuals deciding to try working together to succeed. I'm sure there will be some comedy mined out of them, but I also think there's the potential for seeing character growth as the series goes on.

The Ice Guy? Rom-com happy food. :) Low-key but not what I'd call boring. Cute but not overly sweet. I think it's going to be a good show for just sitting down and relaxing while watching.
    • Like x 2
  17. Tiffany6223 Loyal Player

There are a lot of new anime released today on Saturday, including a Nier Automata anime! I encourage everyone to go to Crunchyroll and check out the new Winter 2023 line up!
    • Like x 1
  18. willflynne 10000 Post Club

Thank you for the reminder. :)

I double checked the post of what premieres/returns today for the new season and realized I've got at least four shows to watch tomorrow morning. Trigun, the new seasons of Nagatoro and Misfit of Demon King Academy and the continuing season of Iruma-kun should all be waiting for me to watch.
    • Like x 1
  19. Tiffany6223 Loyal Player

Irumna-Kun's personal magic :3
    • Like x 1
  20. willflynne 10000 Post Club

Circling back a bit to a post from late summer/early fall, Detroit Lions running back Jamaal Willams is an anime fan, and Sunday night he got to show it off a bit.

On NBC's Sunday night broadcasts, they announce the starting offensive and defensive lineups at the bottom of the screen, with little video clips of the players identifying themselves. Since this was the first (and only) time the Lions played on Sunday night this season, Williams took advantage of the opportunity.

I love that he even included the headband. LOL
    • Like x 1