The Anime Thread

Discussion in 'Joker’s Funhouse (Off Topic)' started by Free2BeMe, Jul 21, 2014.

1. willflynne 10000 Post Club

Holy crud.

Latest episode of Overlord.

Great episode.

Went by WAY too fast. :eek:

This is why I think I prefer binging that series. LOL
    • Like x 1
  2. willflynne 10000 Post Club

Another Overlord bit, I just watched the dub version of The Last King. Full credit to the dub actors, they nailed that episode solid, especially in the conversation between Zanac and Ains.

But another series wrapped up, Vermeil in Gold. That one was a surprise as it had more substance and bite to it than I expected. You see the images of Vermeil and Alto and think, "Ok, typical demon girl flirting with/taunting the young looking boy who she's become a familiar to" and there is plenty of that. But when it comes down to the machinations and actions of the antagonists, they don't mess around. And Vermeil's backstory packs a bit of a punch. I can't say they balanced the story elements perfectly, but overall I think it was decently handled.

As an aside, I think they managed to sneak in some Revolutionary Girl Utena references into one episode. One is hard to miss, the other I think is a little more subtle in a character reveal.

Overall I don't think it's a bad show. I liked it and the story kept me engaged, so if you can get past the fan service Vermeil provides (and there is a significant amount of that LOL) you might find yourself with a decent show to spend some time on.
    • Like x 1
  3. Tiffany6223 Devoted Player

4. Tiffany6223 Devoted Player

But I would love to see more Tanya, just saying

5. willflynne 10000 Post Club

In the words of the great sage Keanu,

[IMG]

Aniplex held an event showcasing a bunch of their upcoming anime projects. All the articles can be found on the Anime News Network site, but of note we've got
    • new anime of Rascal Does Not Dream of Bunny Girl Senpai
    • a new season of The Misfit of Demon King Academy coming in January
    • new Rurouni Kenshin in 2023
    • a new short trailer for Bleach: Thousand-Year Blood War
    • a new trailer for Tomo-chan is a Girl (coming in January)
    • a promo for the NieR: Automata anime (again coming in January)
    • an anime special for Fate/strange Fake
    And a whole bunch of other new projects.
    Like I said, whoa.
    • Like x 1
  6. willflynne 10000 Post Club

When Will Ayumu Make His Move? finished up.

At best? I think it's okay. It's a rom-com that has a few cute moments and a couple sweet moments in there, but they really didn't go too far outside the lines so unfortunately most of the time it just felt like it was, I dunno, just there. It wasn't one that was a "OMG a new episode just dropped, I GOTTA watch it!" kind of show for me.

Like I said, it's okay, but I think there are better rom-coms out there to watch.
    • Like x 1
  7. Tiffany6223 Devoted Player

I find Black Summoner & The Maid I Hired Recently is Mysterious to be those kinds of anime that I just can't wait to see. Oh and Overlord too :p
    • Like x 1
  8. DCUO Post Loyal Player

Really torn about this, I don't want to support Nobuhiro Watsuki because of what he is.
    • Like x 1
  9. willflynne 10000 Post Club

Just a fun little aside. Was checking ANN today and saw they had an episode review up for the latest One Piece episode, and on the home page they'll usually use one line from the review as a teaser for the article. The teaser for the One Piece review?

"Watching a mutated reindeer suplex a punk rock brontosaurus is what anime is all about, baby."

:D
    • Like x 1
  10. Tiffany6223 Devoted Player

I looked Nobuhiro Watsuki up to see what his deal was after you piqued my curiosity as I am a curious cat meow. Oh WOW, I can now understand why you are torn. I guess one has to separate the art from the artist in this case in order to enjoy it.
  11. willflynne 10000 Post Club

Latest season of Overlord ended.

That finale? Oof, brutal. Might not pack the "oompf" some might have expected, but solid for sure. And the last words you see on screen are not at ALL ominous, oh certainly not. LOL

This season overall? Great. There was definitely some dark humor and a cranking up of, "Wait a minute, these guys (the entities of Nazarick) are the villains" moments in their actions, Aura and Mare in particular. Definitely recommend.
    • Like x 1
  12. willflynne 10000 Post Club

Is It Wrong to Try and Pick Up Girls in a Dungeon finished up its season, from all appearances. But by no means was it a finish to the story they were telling. The last episode ended on a huge cliffhanger, and if there aren't any more episodes for the season or there isn't an announcement of the next season in short order there could be some outcry.

I'd still recommend this season, but that cliffhanger ending? Might be something that will rub folks the wrong way.
    • Like x 1
  13. willflynne 10000 Post Club

Call of the Night just finished up.

Some shows have style but very little substance. Some shows have great substance but very little style. Call of the Night managed to nail both. Visually the show is gorgeous, and the story they tell has some great stuff to (no pun intended) sink your teeth into. Can't recommend the show enough.
    • Like x 1
  14. Tiffany6223 Devoted Player

All I have seen is Season 3. Season 4 hasn't been shown on Crunchyroll yet :(
  15. willflynne 10000 Post Club

I think that one might be exclusive to HIDIVE. Crunchyroll was doing streaming of some shows that were on HIDIVE and licensed by Sentai Filmworks for a while, but I think that stopped with the merger of Crunchyroll and Funimation. It might explain why seasons 2 and 3 are still on Crunchyroll.

They did announce a continuation of season 4 coming in January, though, so that should keep any outcry over the cliffhanger to a minimum.

'Is It Wrong to Try to Pick Up Girls in a Dungeon?' Season 4 Anime Continues in New Arc on January 5 - News - Anime News Network
    • Like x 1
  16. Tiffany6223 Devoted Player

You know I’m such a curious cat, I’m dying to know what the cliffhanger is! Lol
  17. willflynne 10000 Post Club

18. willflynne 10000 Post Club

A Couple of Cuckoos finished up.

Definitely an intriguing show at times. Of course they go into the typical anime rom-com tropes throughout, but they were able to dabble in some drama without it being melodramatic and still keeping the lighthearted vibe going throughout the two-season run. There's still some questions remaining to be answered (what Erika's dad is really up to and the mystery of her and Nagi's older brother) as well as another seed planted (who was that girl in Yohei's birthday photos alongside Nagi and Sachi?) so I think there's plenty to work with for more episodes, or at least one more season.

Just as an aside, watching Segawa in the last two episodes adds some definite conflict potential in the future. Between her growing feelings for Nagi and her innate competitive streak, it could be VERY interesting to see how she interacts with Erika and Sachi going forward.

Overall I'd recommend this show. It's a little slow and goofy at times, but I thought it was solid overall.
    • Like x 1
  19. Tiffany6223 Devoted Player

20. willflynne 10000 Post Club

Well, you've got some options. You can sub to HIDIVE and binge the whole season all at once (first episode is a recap so it can be skipped depending on how much of a refresher you might want/need), read through all the episode reviews from start to finish (they usually have a drop-down menu at the bottom of the article to read the other episode reviews of that show) or just run the risk of spoilers and just read that last one. :D