Snyderverse-an unpopular opinion

Discussion in 'Joker’s Funhouse (Off Topic)' started by Quantum Edge, Jan 12, 2022.

1. Quantum Edge Steadfast Player

Here's the rub though, if a film turns me off, either narratively or visually, I'm not going to have any interest in researching and critiquing. Film is a hot medium, to borrow from Mcluhan, it either grabs me or it doesn't. That Snyder's JL grabbed you is great, but for me, I just felt worn out at the end of it, especially the 4 hour version. I'm pretty good at going into films with an open mind, there are a lot of films I love that got savaged at the box office. Other films I've absolutely loathed are hailed as milestones of modern cinema. Am I right? Are the critics right? Is the box office public right? Yes. Film, like any art form is a completely subjective medium. The film Eraserhead is one of my favourite movies. I've had girlfriends literally walk out on me because of it. Am I right? Is it genius? Absolutely. Are they right? Is it the work of a twisted sociopath? Probably, although I would leave the clinical diagnosis to a medical professional.
  2. Quantum Edge Steadfast Player

Probably after Disney finishes buying every single IP on Earth.
    • Like x 1
  3. Controller Devoted Player

Fair enough.

Beauty is in the sight of the beholder and from what I am reading I think Mr. Zaslav thinks Zach's stuff is beautiful - for which I'm grateful.

Of course - nothing's in stone and my commentary on Mr. David Zaslav is purely rumor but my guess is that we're going to see a LOT more Henry Cavill and Zach being allowed to finish his Justice League Trinity - which is AWESOME.
  4. Controller Devoted Player

You know..."IF" Disney does that we'd probably be CLOSER to getting a Fortress of Solitude-based THEME PARK as well as a Themyscira-based one....round it out with a Batcave-based Theme Park, too.

I cannot - for the life of me - figure out why these things haven't happened.

DC has some of the most iconic figures in ALL of comics - Marvel OR otherwise. WB seems to have issues promoting these figures and it's sad.
  5. Ergotth Committed Player

Or how even Joel Schumaccer, rest his soul, started Phantom of the Opera in black and white during the auction of the theater's wreckage and put colours as we went all "Titanic" on the restoration sequence and the chandelier being hoisted. He couldn't really direct a musical properly, but that opening had IMPACT! Snyder uses "dark" the same way a teenager who is probably a main Reaper in Overwatch without knowing how to use it because "it's edgy, I want to be taken seriously! I'M GONNA HAVE A SALLY AND JOKER TATTOO SOMEDAY AND WHERE DID I PUT MY BLACK EYE-LINER FOR GOD'S SAKE?!"
    • Like x 1
  6. Controller Devoted Player

You don't like Zach Snyder's style. Fair enough.

I'd say buckle up and get ready for Fun Times in DC CU for a change over the next few years, though.

I have a feeling that by the time it's all said and done we're ALL going to be excited.

If Zach gets what's rumored I have a feeling we're going to see well over a dozen Justice League members and as many villains.

I'd hesitate to be so entrenched against the man....don't count him out.
  7. Quantum Edge Steadfast Player

I'm not as confident as you that Snyder will return to DC. He did one unforgivable thing, he showed up the suits. his fans threatening executive's lives on twitter didn't help. The only thing I think might save him is Warner Bros trying to redeem themselves after the Whedon blow up. Although I think it's safe to say, we're not going to see Ray Fisher back.
  8. Controller Devoted Player

I believe Zach Snyder will be back, personally. I think the underlying tone is that there was malice and wrong-doing on BOTH sides - but of course the focus was on Zach.

When CEO's make mistakes, the subordinates pay the price unfortunately.

I personally have not seen "ANY" Snyderverse Fans threatening CEOs on twitter, lol. Any proof? That is a NEW one to me. If this is true then that's wrong and over the top and doesn't reflect ALL Snyderverse Fans.

Remember that.

I do know that there was a fund-raiser for Suicide Prevention that us "Rabid and out-of control" Snyderverse fans did. Raised a LOT of money, too - see video below.

But of course "THAT" doesn't get any attention, lol. Figures.

Have not heard anything about Ray Fisher, Cyborg. Do you have a link or anything solid on that comment? If he's not coming back then why?

I know I "personally" don't speak for "ALL of Snyderverse Fandom" but from what I gather all we want is a GOOD Cinema experience....not an organization that gets fat off of "COOL" Solo-Movies (See Joker, BoP, etc, etc)....

We want a STORYLINE - you know, sorta like what Disney / Marvel did with Thanos. Do this with DARKSEID.

We don't want an organization that settles for SECOND-BEST.....

We want to see ORIGINAL DC characters of COLOR on for OUR big screen experience - like John Stewart's Green Lantern....perhaps Vixen....maybe Jessica Cruz GL, Simon Baz GL or even Sojourner Mullien GL....you know, kind of like MARVEL did with Falcon, War Machine and Black Panther.

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]

For ME I'd LOVE to see John Stewart and Vixen join Zach Snyder's Justice League, along with Ray Fisher's Cyborg coming back.

For ME personally - I can forgive deviating from Comic Book roots IF the actor is good (see Jeffery Wright's Commissioner Gordon AND Zoe Kravitz's Cat Woman). Simply INCORPORATE these characters in the DC Cinematic Universe sorta like Dwayne McDuffie (RIP) did with the CLASSIC Justice League Unlimited Series.

No more excuses.

We don't like CEO's that single out a fanbase as a WHOLE for the misgivings of A FEW.....that's childish and immature from a Leadership standpoint. Surely they MUST know that ALL of Snyderverse fandom isn't like this...

In Real Life mature individuals don't stereotype ALL of one group based off of the misgivings of a few - right?

That's my take on things.
  9. Quantum Edge Steadfast Player

10. Controller Devoted Player

That's reprehensible and wrong, then - on the few Snyderverse fans doing that AND on a few WB CEOs for seemingly grouping us ALL together.

That article is ALSO over a year old - and SINCE THEN we've had Suicide Prevention fundraisers, to speak of the good.....

Just because a few get the most attention for something bad STILL doesn't make it right to focus on "JUST THAT".....

That's Real Life.

So who's going to be the "Bigger Man...or Woman"?

He / She who focuses on the Negative?

Or He / She that looks at DC Cinema's BRIGHT FUTURE?

[IMG]

I really believe THIS MAN is a HUGE part of that future.
  11. Controller Devoted Player

A few more DC Characters I'd LOVE to see on the big screen in Zach Snyder's potential Trinity:

Brazil's Own Fire and Ice

[IMG]

[IMG]

Dr. Light

[IMG]

Of course the Incomparable Android Red Tornado

[IMG]

Give Zach Snyder, James Gunn and Co. the GREEN LIGHT, WB lol.

Let's do this.
  12. Controller Devoted Player

Another thing I notice is that I see mainly "Rabid and out-of-control" Snyderverse fans being the ONLY ONES offering up WISH LISTS for DC Superheroes to make the Big Screen.....

Here are a few more I'd love to see in Zach Snyder's DC Cinemaverse:

[IMG]

Blue Devil and Zatanna

[IMG]

Blue Beetle

[IMG]

Dmitri Pushkin's Rocket Red

[IMG]

Of course my FAVORITE DC Superheroes in Augustus Freeman IV / Icon - and his partner Rocket.

[IMG]

Vibe, DC. One of the most criminally under-rated. He gained his powers from a Mother Box like Cyborg, too.

I'll let some try and label Snyderverse Fans divisively and "I" will keep offering ideas.
  13. Critical Massacre Committed Player

I think the DC movies are beautiful. I’m not sure where all this criticism of lack of color comes from. I mean I saw someone do a cut of man of steel years ago with added color compared to Snyder’s and yeah it had more color but more of something doesn’t necessarily equate to better. I did watch the Justice is gray version and I didn’t find it an improvement in anyway, I didn’t really get the intent behind it. I thought it was odd because the movie is so beautiful with color. Marvel has a few great visuals but they have nothing compared to DC. I guess the marvel hero’s have a wider color palette on their costumes. I mean hearing what people say about DC movies and their lack of color, they must of just despised they original X-men movies.
    • Like x 1
  14. willflynne 10000 Post Club

I think it's more about the tone it sets for the film. Desaturating the colors in a film can end up producing a feeling of a dreary or oppressive environment, and while that can work for some films and characters it's not a universal fit. It worked well for Watchmen and had Snyder tried applying it only to the Batman/Gotham elements in BvS it probably would have worked better there. It could have been used as contrast to Superman and Metropolis.

But he applies it to everything. Gotham, Metro, Smallville, alien ship interiors, Clark Kent's apartment, everything. There's no contrast to be made between light and dark when everything is muted and kinda drab. On top of that, it's tough to convey a message of hope or someone being a symbol/avatar of hope for people when everything in the world including the symbol for hope looks muted and drab.

The original X-Men film had dark environments, but those were used in contrast to other environments to help them stand out. The bright metallic sections underneath the mansion contrasted with the mansion itself (warmer colors and set pieces), and those stood apart from Magneto's lair and the sections where we first meet Logan. Had a desaturation filter of some kind been slapped across the whole movie in the way Snyder tends to do things, those contrasts wouldn't have stood out nearly as much.
    • Like x 1
  15. Controller Devoted Player

Will if you think this then you obviously did not watch Zach Snyder's Justice League.

It had PLENTY of color in it - and one did NOT have to look hard.

HIS version was colorful from the start - especially with Flash's saving of Iris AND his interaction with the Pet Shop owner AND the dogs who took to him immediately.

His backstory with Cyborg was HEARTWARMING, too....

The Amazons defending Themyscira from Steppenwolf? Inspirational AND colorful.

The scenes with Clark in the cornfield? After he had returned to his senses?

The FINAL run on Steppenwolf's base in Russia? He removed the RED background which I thought was a smart move. And who can forget THIS memorable scene

Again, Folks -

WE / DC

ARE

NOT

MARVEL.

And that is OK...............

I really believe at the end of the day Disney / Marvel's renditions have left some of us "Conditioned" as to what we think a Superhero movie should be.

Again I don't know how folks are so dug in on Zach Snyder's work to where they don't / can't see ANYTHING positive in it - especially COLOR.
    • Like x 1
  16. Quantum Edge Steadfast Player

For me, it's exhausting to watch. A film shot in black and white, especially after 1965 is shot specifically with lighting in mind, the shadows, the depth of frame etc. I find with Snyder's films, the pervasive grey, with intermittent colour is just exhausting to watch for two hours. Nobody is expecting the Wizard of Oz after the tornado, As Will said, stripping the colour in Gotham, and eye's a popping colours in Gotham would have helped differentiate them. I'm not going to get into the ridiculousness of two huge cities only being seperated by a bay.

**edited to add*
    Being exhausted from a film isn't a bad thing all the time. Schindler's list was supposed to wear you down. I remember in the name of the father, which was also desaturated also wearing me down, but that was integral to the plot in which starts with a young virile man being put in prison for decades for a crime he didn't commit. But an action/adventure film shouldn't make me want to have a nap afterwards.
  17. Critical Massacre Committed Player

I mean Superman and Batman embody a light and dark contrast that Marvel does not have. To me the light and darkness are conveyed between the two cities in the color of the two cities. But to be honest this kind of discussion is weird and that’s ok, but why do we not talk about this in marvel films but we do in DC? Is it because DC is more thought provoking or perhaps critics and paid social media influencers influence us to react to absurd aspects of criticism to a film? I mean on a base level the action sequences of DC smoke Marvel but no one talks about that, and if I’m watching an action film isn’t that my main concern not color? If action matters less than mythology then please explain to me how the mythology of marvel exceeds DC? Or if beauty is the baseline for good film making what is the most beautiful movie as a baseline? To me people dislike the recent DC movies because they are very human based and the realities of superhero’s and humans play out in a very realistic way in which people do not always like. I like how much DC relies on normal people versus Marvel.
  18. Critical Massacre Committed Player

I actually thought Schindler’s list did an amazing job with black and white plus color to draw attention to aspects of the film, I thought maybe Snyder would do the same in his black and white but he did not and yeah I didn’t think it was better than his original in anyway. As far as being bored with a Snyder film just know this of Zack’s two and a half hour man of steel only about 45 minutes of it was devoid of action or build up to the action sequence. I mean other than a movie like “Shoot em up” there are very few films with better action through out than man of steel. I thought it was visually appealing in visuals and awesome in action but also very thought provoking in its mythology. The creators of Superman were Jewish and in the Hebrew kal-el means son of god and Jor-el meals river of god. So Superman is a story of Moses and Jesus by the creators of the story not just by Zack but Zack is just trying to tie that into that concept. So I mean it’s a deep film. So yeah DC has amazing visuals, action, and thought provoking mythology, but yet we are gonna complain about it and mindlessly watch marvel because why exactly? Because maybe it’s not thought provoking? Like that’s what society needs right now is to not question anything but just follow the narrative. Critical thinking is great and why I love discussion of this Snyder films because it involves discussion.
  19. willflynne 10000 Post Club

We aren't talking about Marvel films in the same way because they're putting out a better product. Even if there's a film that may not have performed as well as others at the box office (Thor: The Dark World always comes to mind for me in this regard) it's still at the very least a decent film and one that hasn't caused anywhere near the divisiveness in the comic fan community that we've seen from the Snyder DC films.

If/when Marvel has a film that causes so much divisiveness that a release of a director's cut happens because of an extended fan temper tantrum (harsh, yes, but in many ways accurate) then we can start talking about Marvel in the same way. But they haven't stumbled like that so far, and by all appearances so far that doesn't look very likely in the near future.
  20. Controller Devoted Player

Zach Snyder is "Divisive" because DC / WB Media is "Divisive".......

They announce "New Gods" then promptly CANCEL it over concerns of - wait for it - "WOKENESS".

Lool.

They didn't even give Ms. Ava Duvernay a CHANCE to give Jack Kirby's stuff a proper "Modernization" like MARVEL did with Asgard and Heimdall.

Shame on DC / WB Media for that - not Ms. Duvernay. She would've done WELL with this movie and it's sad.

All I asked is that they left my man Orion as a hot-headed red head. Perhaps make Light Ray a person of color OR simply go with the May 2020 version of Mister Miracle who is a Black Man

[IMG]

THEN, DC / WB Media REMOVES Wayne T. Carr's Green Lantern from that FINAL SCENE with Martian Manhunter in Zach Snyder's Justice League....because they "wanted to save John Stewart for the Green Lantern Series that is SUPPOSEDLY coming in 2022...."

OH WAIT! It "IS" 2022 now, right? Where is the Green Lantern series on HBO MAX? No.....they CANNOT have the Green Lantern series on HBO MAX because....evidently....Wayne T Carr posts THIS cryptic note on his twitter

[IMG]

....and THEN Ryan Reynolds (whom I HOPE returns as Hal Jordan in Zach Snyder's Cinemanverse) likes it, too.

[IMG]

Then....SUPPOSEDLY there was NO SNYDER CUT....supposedly SNYDER CUT didn't exist.....THEN POOF!

[IMG]

ALL OF A SUDDEN the Snyder Cut EXISTS and it's MAGNIFICENT......

DC / WB has CHANGED it's MOVIE LINEUP SEVERAL TIMES.....they CANCELLED the Cyborg movie for whatever reason....cancelled the Green Lantern MOVIE.....cancelled the Flash movie THEN brought it BACK again.....said "we took out Wayne T. Carr's Green Lantern from the Snyder Cut ending because we're SAVING John Stewart for the Green Lantern series in 2022"........which has NOW - POOF! Disappeared.....................

Disney / Marvel Media does NOT have this kind of confusion......

[IMG]

I'm NOT some RANDOM DC Fan that doesn't know what he's talking about. I've been around since THIS

[IMG]

[IMG]

I'm frankly ashamed at how they've presented themselves....blamed Zach Snyder for it's Big Screen issues....being TOO CONCERNED with how they present their Superheroes on the Big Screen....

So much divisiveness....blaming others for their OWN shortcomings......trying to label SNYDERVERSE fans for the shortcomings of a FEW....

Just childish.

I'm hopeful things turn around but outside of DCUO I'm ashamed of DC / WB Media.