Reserve Tank Mod, is it broken?

Discussion in 'Old Arkham (Bug Archive)' started by Scarlet, Mar 11, 2013.

1. TheDark Devoted Player

I can't find the link on my phone, but when I get home I should be able to. Reserve Tank works. I tested it. Players receive instant power if they wear that mod depending on the numerical position of their power bar. Not visual.
    • Like x 1
  2. SilentTrollerMan New Player

Ok, I am not good with math, nor have I done extensive testing. I do know that I used to use the extended supercharge mod and switched to reserve tank. That same a week I ran Nexus for only the second time in my toon's life and I was having a hell of a time keeping my power up. I would literally just spam psychic empowerment and I had less than 1/4 power at all times. I was the backup troller and on my previous run in Nexus I had power to spare.

Now my experience is anecdotal but I will not take the chance on this mod and i have chosen to stick with extended supercharge. Also if it works and it is only the visual power bar that is misleading, then I hope the devs fix it to represent power in, in a better way.
  3. TheDark Devoted Player

There is nothing wrong with the mod. If you can get past the visual annoyance and realize all it does is start you off with 875 power, and allows for the extra power from soders/supply drops/instant power heal supercharges fill that extra amount that wouldn't have happened if your power was at normal size depending on where you are on your power bar, then there's nothing to complain about.

I used it in Dox and Nexus recently. I still got power from the other controller (stated by combat log and visually seen on my power). When I read things like "i literally spammed my recharge" then that tells me why a player has no power in the first place. When they forget to include details as to how instant power heals works and realize what's going on with this mod numerically, then it's safe to dismiss the complaint. There are other issues as to why a player doesn't have power. It shouldn't be expected to have full blue bars in most groups.

This is the link. You should read all of it but specifically my responses considering they are the only logical explanations Mr TrollerMan. Don't turn into the rest of the mislead players.
    • Like x 1
  4. SilentTrollerMan New Player

I know you are but what am I. And its not recharge...its Psychic empowerment. Ill check out the link, i do greatly respect you and Darth for you knowledge and expertise.
    • Like x 1
  5. Mortal Coil New Player

Just ran seeds with a healer that had reserve tank on. Even with it, his/her power pool was only at 2600 (mine is over 3600 w/o reserve tank). For some reason, outside of the pot, neither controller could give the healer power. As in, could not move the power bar at all. Outside of combat we tried to have just the healer use his/her power and still couldn't move the bar with our instant power. This happened throughout the raid, regardless if the healer's bar was 3/4 full or completely empty.
  6. DARKKNIGHT New Player

It use to be broken, yes it does work now.
  7. MENTaLCAsE XIII New Player

but is it worth is? maybe if your are a fresh level 30
  8. Irmensul Well-Known Player

Il remember to tell any trolls im using reserve tank then
    • Like x 1
  9. Gunny New Player

I will say that for this particular problem, some player testing was just completed and posted proving that the power transfer mechanics cause the problems associated with the reserve tank mod.

The reserve tank is not broken at all. As TheDark (and possibly others in this thread) said here, the problem lies with power transfers using numerical power values when dictating who is "needy", and it is possible that a person with a full power bar can be considered in need over someone else because the person with the full bar can have a lower numerical value of power available.

A post by "Darth" both in the arkham asylum and in the gotham subforums will have more information regarding this issue.
    • Like x 2
  10. Darth Loyal Player

For those of you that are too lazy to find or can't find the threads Gunny mentioned you can find both of them in my signature :)
  11. Derio 15000 Post Club

Reserve tank is not broken. It is working fine. What is not working fine is recharge. Known as RVM glitch which still has not been addressed by devs.
    • Like x 1
  12. Darth Loyal Player

RVM? You're talking about the VPC right?
  13. Gargamond Dedicated Player

Simply saying that reserve tank isn't broken doesn't fix the problem. It's a technicality that it isn't broken. It's useless because of the power dump mechanics in this game. Until power dump mechanics change to make reserve tank useful, it's as good as broken.

TL;DR reserve tank works like it's broken.
  14. Psycfyre New Player

It works fine if everyone's power pool is at roughly the same level. So having a T3-4 person with it, who's running with T5 players would work perfectly. The problem is when the reverse happens.

So no, it isn't broken and doesn't work like it's broken. The only problem is with the Power Dump ability.
  15. Gargamond Dedicated Player

Saying that it doesn't work like it's broken doesn't make it work. Coming up with pathetic work arounds doesn't really make it a viable option for a chest mod. The only way this mod will be useful ALL the time is if power dumps get changed. Until then, it's a generally useless mod without VERY specific work arounds. That's what makes it work like it's broken.

TL;DR It sucks. Be a team player and don't use it.
  16. TheDark Devoted Player

Wow. Some people just never learn anything.

the reserve Tank can be worn and used if the other chest mods don't appeal to anyone. All it does is start you off with more power and allows you to receive more power from regen mechanics PoT and power return supercharges depending where you are at on your power bar. If controllers aren't full or near full 95% of th time during a raid without the mod, why in the bloody hell would you expect to be full or near full with reserve tank? Players can still receive IPH wearing the mod depending where they are on their power bar numerically.
    • Like x 1
  17. Gargamond Dedicated Player

CAN, but generally with a snowball's chance in hell. Just don't use it. It's generally a bad idea. There are much more viable mods for each role than this one, especially for tanks. It was created to be obsolete.
  18. thenewkidd New Player

As stated in the beginning of the thread, I think the mod IS working as intended..
    What the problem is the instant power function that needs to be fixed.

If I have 3k power and another guy has 3.8K power... the instant power goes to me first EVEN if I am full

So this is what needs to be fixed...

I highly doubt this will get fixed anytime soon.. this is something the devs would have to reconstruct and that is going to take time..
    • Like x 1
  19. Darth Loyal Player

I'm not sure it would take that much time to fix the VPC. Its possible that it shouldn't require a code reconstruction but an addition. Then again, I don't know what the for Instant Power code is so I can't really gauge how difficult or long the fix would be.

Ideally they would just be adding a loop that checks if players have full power bars when it is determining the three players who have the least amount of power. If so it would skip them and continue the search. Theoretically this could be done with a simple IF loop but it would really depend on the current code.

TL.DR. It could be an easy fix or a difficult fix depending on how Instant Power is currently coded. It could be a simple loop addition or code overhaul. Based on the trend in most DCUO fixed I guess we would be looking at a code overhaul lol. The VPC needs to be fixed though.
  20. Darth Loyal Player

You have a chance to check out my Instant Power VPC glitch thread yet? It explains why Reserve Tank looks glitched in 5+ player groups when it isn't.

As for why you were having trouble in TP, I'm guessing there was a different issue than the Reserve Tank. I've done extensive testing on the Reserve Tank and Instant Power and in a 4 man group or less players will always receive Instant Power whether they have the Reserve Tank on or not (as long as they're in LOS of course). It could simply be that the fact that his power pool was increased by roughly 30% gave you the illusion of thinking that his power level was lower than you are used to although numerically it was consistent with your other runs.
    • Like x 1