People are okay with these costs for style unlocking????

Discussion in 'Gotham City (General Gameplay)' started by hoaxone, Apr 29, 2018.

1. KHALONofOGUN 10000 Post Club

There's like maybe two or three individuals actually "praising" the prices. The rest are saying they have accepted the prices even if a little higher than expected. Why anyone insists only lumping the two together or equating them as the same when there's a clear enough difference is beyond me.
    • Like x 3
  2. Shark Dental Devoted Player

Yes, but my point is that those same people would "accept" (in your terms) the prices even if they were 5 times the price.
  3. SethZoulMonEl 10000 Post Club

PS subscribers still received $5 each month they subscribed, correct? I think there are a few places the argument that players definitely paid more than $20 falls apart. Do PS players get the deal of $100 worth of currency when paying $85, for example?

I do not see anything wrong with having to pay $15-$20 worth of replays for exclusive items, especially since we get $5 worth of replays per month and the ability to purchase another $5 worth if we choose with the currency we get each month as subscribers. Premium players might find the prices steep, but further incentives to subscribe have been requested for a while now.

The only prices I feel are high are those associated with iconic vendor gear and time capsule emblems. They won't really affect me since I'm fine just buying the feats and choosing the actual styles on characters designed around those styles. The bigger thing that hurt sales when it comes to my wallet was the length of time it took for them to release style sharing; by the time it was released, I had already decided it might never happen and worked on getting styles through the game instead, so I have a lot less styles to purchase than I might have a couple years ago.
    • Like x 2
  4. Fatal Star 10000 Post Club

I do think an increase in loyalty points to account for style unlocking may be beneficial, perhaps 750 a month instead of 500? That would further entice legendary subs.
    • Like x 6
  5. Darth Piper Loyal Player

Umm, except maybe at tech startups, business decisions at larger companies are not made by developers... they are made by business folks. Sometimes they're made with good information after having talked with different people and sometimes they're made out on the golf course based on a sales pitch or what their buddies are doing at this other company.
    • Like x 1
  6. Dene Devoted Player

You all want expensive champagne on a generic beer budget..

as soon as they cheapen style unlocking for these rare auras etc - people will be bored with it and stop buying
    • Like x 4
  7. Shark Dental Devoted Player

?

So what gets people excited about buying...aren't the auras themselves...but their price?

Mmm, hmm. OK. I doubt that.

I think there are many people that would purchase these items if the were more cost-friendly. In fact, I'd be willing to bet that people who spent $15 for one, would buy 3 if they were $9.99. Instead of buying one TC aura (seriously? $10 for an emerald mist or crimson mist?) for $10, or more likely, 0 TC auras for $0, I surmise many would drop $20 on RBs as an impulse buy if they cost $5 each just to unlock them for a bunch of toons.

Of course, it really comes down to how many alts a player has. If someone only has 2 toons, then they'll only buy one extra max.

All of this is conjecture, of course (both your idea and mine and everyone else's). What really matters is the numbers at the end of the day. If DCUO does good with this price point, good for them, I'm happy for them, even though I won't support it.

If they don't do well at this point, then hopefully they'll be willing to give the other option a try to see how it goes.
  8. SethZoulMonEl 10000 Post Club

If their intent was to gauge how style unlocking would sell replay badges with the first phase, they probably made a huge mistake starting with the styles they chose to start with. The majority of players are going to buy dropped styles if for no other reason than to complete some feats they might be missing due to bad luck on certain characters. Those styles will likely make them a lot more money than the iconic styles and styles from the first few time capsules and booster bundles.
    • Like x 3
  9. Shark Dental Devoted Player

I agree. But it depends on who they wanted to attract with this feature. If the intention was to get some old players who left to return, a chance at those OG auras and stuff may have done it...at least until they saw the prices, lol.;)
    • Like x 1
  10. Legion_of_One Well-Known Player

There's another issue. I have loads of characters that I like to play, and I have been carefully choosing which styles to unlock on which toons. I forgot what the various buttons do on the style menu, so I clicked "Unlock All." When the prompt came up to buy all of the locked styles I selected cancel-- or at least I thought I did. I was debited about 5,000 replay badges for styles on a character who didn't need them. It was an obvious error, mine or a bug, but Daybreak has a blanket policy of not entertaining any consideration of refunding ANY in-game purchases. I had saved over 11,000 replay badges to use for feat and style unlocking, and in one instant I was reduced to about half of that for what I feel is nothing.

This is obviously not just a case of unlocking the wrong instance for the cost of 20 or whatever badges-- it has a real financial consequence to the tune of about $150. I submitted a ticket to plead my case and my request was denied. I STRONGLY believe that Daybreak needs to either remove the "unlock all" function or implement a secondary safeguard to prevent players from making this kind of mistake, especially if the company won't consider making amends after the fact.
    • Like x 1
  11. Kestral Committed Player

People are just happy to have style sharing at all.
    • Like x 5
  12. Gassius_Spray Loyal Player

even better dipped in a batter then deep fried and smothered with more peanut butter and jelly with chunks of bacon.
    • Like x 1
  13. ragdus New Player

This may very well be true. But the strategy of "let's wait years to add this very simple mechanic to the game, and make sure it's so many years that it'll be accepted no matter how poorly it is implemented" doesn't make me a happy superhero.

I sincerely hope these moves aren't the same kind of pre-closure cash grab that we saw with CoH. That one still stings...
  14. Plowed In Loyal Player

“Everything that other people do, that you don’t fully understand, is simple, from your point of view.”
    -Fortune cookie response of the day ;)