People are okay with these costs for style unlocking????

Discussion in 'Gotham City (General Gameplay)' started by hoaxone, Apr 29, 2018.

1. Black Dawn Steadfast Player

I plan on using style sharing on my alts in such a way to complete their looks when I unable to get them to the required content for the styles. I really want the Hades' skirt/cape for my Leia Organa character, and I've had a lot of fun hopping on alts to see what would be nice to complete their styles/themes.
    • Like x 2
  2. Multiverse 15000 Post Club

Just one Blue Plasmic Aura.
    That is the only one I really needed right now. ;) ;)

In the past..... if I wanted an Aura for a character.... I already got it playing the Broker.
    I play the Broker a LOT.... and bought a LOT of Auras for my Alts.
    Which is why I always seems to be Broke all the time. When you have like 50 characters..... there is always a aura/style you need to buy for one of your characters. ;) ;)

But right now.... pretty much most of my Alts already have the aura I want for them.

My Dr Doom has his Nimbus aura.
    My FireStorm already has the Scorching Head and Hands and the Nuclear aura.
    My Flash and Reverse Flash already have the Sparking aura.
    My Green Lantern already has a handfull of Green auras.... same with my Yellow Lantern with the Yellow auras.
    Etc.....

Getting the aura you want/need has never really been that difficult in the past... IF you use the Broker.

There is still an aura or two that I am missing.... like I could use one more Kryptonite aura....
    but odds are I will buy it on the Broker loooooonnnng before we can buy it using Replays.

Heck I have ALL the power auras with my Multiverse....
    again not that difficult to get an aura if you REALLY want it AND if you use the Broker.

What I bought with Replays were a LOT of styles on various characters.

I bought all the styles I did not have with my Multiverse..... for 4 Replays each.

People are dead set to complain about the rare auras and styles..... and seems to forget.... if 350 Replays is too expensive... there are a truckload of styles you can purchase for 4 Replays.

I bought the Red Hood style for my Red Hood character.
    I bought a bunch of styles I needed for a bunch of my Alts.

I have only ONE character that NEEDs the Nimbus aura..... my Dr Doom... and he already has it. ;)
    So.... no point in buying it again on any of my other characters.

Not EVERY characters NEED the Nimbus aura.

And of course....
    You can buy ALL the Enhanced versions of styles for FREE.
    FREE!!!!!
    FREE!!!!!!!!!!!
    Mouhahhaahahahahhaha!!!!!!!!! :D :p :D

But somehow...
    no one other then you ever mentioned that the price for the Enhanced versions are FREE. ;) ;)

What I would have purchased for a bunch of characters would have been the Materials.

I would have purchased the Cosmic Material for a LOT of my characters.
    Same with the Void.
    The Phoenix for a few.
    And probably a few others I fail to mention.

But sadly...... that is not an option..... yet. ;) ;)
    • Like x 3
  3. Multiverse 15000 Post Club

That could be.

If 22 replay is too much for a Lantern Emblems..... he can still open Time Capsules.
    Plenty of Time Capsule still up for sale on the Broker for as low as $12000.... or 100 for $2000000.
    ;) ;)

There is always that option to get the styles..... IF 22 Replays is "too much". ;) ;)
    • Like x 1
  4. Darth Piper Loyal Player

Aaaaannd... how much for the stabilizers? You get two for free every five days... assuming you remember to run the stabilizer fragment mission.
  5. Multiverse 15000 Post Club

In life.... there is this little thing called "choice".

You can choose to buy an emblem for a character using 22 Replays.

You can choose that 22 Replays is too much for an emblem.

You can then choose to buy Stabilizers to open Time Capsules until you get the emblem you want/need.
    Pretty sure that doing this will cost a LOT more then using 22 Replays. But you can still choose to do this.

And You can choose to play the Stabilizers Event to get FREE Stabilizer fragments every day... until you have some FREE Stabilizers.
    And then you can open Time Capsules for FREE. It will take some time because you will need to run the event daily for FREE Stabilizers..... but you can choose to do that.

The FREE alternative cost TIME.

Buying Stabilizers will be the most expensive alternative.

So 22 Replays will be much less expensive..... both in terms of $$$ AND time.

Again..... there is this thing called "choice".

If you want it for FREE.... spend Time running the event for FREE Stabilizers.
    If you want it RIGHT NOW....... spend 22 Replays to buy it.
    • Like x 4
  6. Gimpy Loyal Player

History repeating itself.

So, just when has any request been given to the population as originally asked for with out it being twisted in some sordid way?

And the Forum members all in agreement about the twisted result?
    • Like x 2
  7. Darth Piper Loyal Player

The good/fast/cheap triangle I mentioned. :)

I was just amending your stuff regarding buying time capsules in the broker to show the additional costs involved with that method... as well as the uncertainty from the RNG.

I'm of the opinion that the replay badges may be a bit costly for some things, but they provide certainty... as in, I spend those replay badges and I am 100% guaranteed to get the item I want. No random chance. No getting more TCs, stabilizers, and spending the time opening them... then deciding what to do with all the other stuff that came out of the TCs that I didn't want/need... and did it expire in the broker a couple of days later?

Think about it this way... there's a proliferation of HOT lanes (High Occupancy Toll)... where if your'e not HOV-qualified for those lanes you can pay a variable toll to use them, with the toll based on traffic flow at the time. How much is your time worth for that hour or more you will sit in traffic? Will you idle away that much gas by not doing it? Yes, you have a choice... but you have to weigh the choice of how much time and gas you will waste by taking the free route and sitting in traffic vs paying the (often exorbitant) toll to use the HOT lanes.
    • Like x 2
  8. KHALONofOGUN 10000 Post Club

So the only way those opinions would be valid to you is if people were ready to throw cash at the screen post haste? I mean look, at these prices, only the big whales are going to buy impulsively right this minute. The rest who are entertaining the thought of buying the very rare auras are gonna have to seriously think about what they personally feel they need for their alts. They're also going to think about how they're going to go about acquiring them.

I don't necessarily like the prices, but I also don't think they're unfair within context. There's no RNG involved, and it's set at a price I can deal with. I don't need all of the auras on all of my toons. So...i'll save up my monthly replays and loyalty points for two months...boom, aura unlocked on an alt. Two months later...the same. If by some miracle there's some kind of sale on replays (which at this point I doubt we'll see this year...just a feeling), then hey...an Aura or two.

At the end of the day, it's doable...if the feedback sways them to lower the prices, great...i'm not gonna complain about that. If they stay as is, i'll deal. Auras weren't the main thing I was looking for with style unlock (and as more phases roll out, i'll be unlocking more). If that's all others were looking for, I sympathize...but at least they have the option (if they have the aura in question), and they know the cost up front (no extra RNG deciding what the final price will be).
    • Like x 4
  9. Burning_Baron Loyal Player

While the prices are higher than I desired or expected looking at it logically it is easy to see why. Most people spent at minimum 18-20 dollars on the og stuff(myself included). The 10-15 dollar price is likely what they would have charged if it was placed on the market place. However since mp items are usually redeemable across all toons a price like that is justified. Now it is 10-15 per toon. It is as if they are trying to get money they didn't receive when they first came out because we didn't want to shell out more for multiple characters. The suits that work there are a conniving bunch. I do think a lot of people's anger is directed at the wrong people but they are the only people who are there to take it. I highly doubt Nerd of prey , mepps, megzilla or anyone that does the actually hard work on the game went in the room and said here's how to nickle and dime our customers. I imagine they try to fight for as fair of price they can on the stuff.
    • Like x 1
  10. Ant Tao Well-Known Player

This is Daybreak. Ask for a spear and they’ll give you a sword. Ask for some water and they’ll give you milk. Ask for a burger and they’ll give you a chicken sandwich. This company takes requests and always puts a spin on it.

Some people are real life DCUO addicts and the game can do no wrong in their eyes. People here are arguing against their own best interest and want to pay more for imaginary items. I could understand if all of these extra charges for paying members led to an increase in graphics, bug fixes, pvp, and overall game quality. Instead, they turned this game into an overpriced closet with the goal of repetitively chasing gear cycles.
    • Like x 4
  11. Shark Dental Devoted Player

No, I'm merely saying that talk is cheap. It's really easy for people to come here and say, "these prices are awesome, leave them as is!" if they're not planning on actually buying anything in the first place. I'm not criticizing your posts, because you've been upfront from the beginning. I'm just saying that people should be honest with their feedback. If they're not going to buy anything, or not for months, that adds a certain flavor to their feedback.

It's like someone who never sets foot in an Elite raid, or only plays it once every few months, saying the difficulty is fine and doesn't need to be adjusted in either direction. It's easy for them because it doesn't really affect them. Or someone who never played SM in the first place saying, "this game doesn't need SM."
    • Like x 1
  12. Gassius_Spray Loyal Player

I went to Daybreak wanting a peanut butter and jelly sammich. I was expecting something like this
    [IMG]

but I got this peanut butter and jelly sammich instead.
    [IMG]

curse you DBG.
    • Like x 6
  13. WilderMidnight Steadfast Player

this is why i supported the idea of offering one free style unlock per month to subscribers as an added perk. Would be great incentive to sub. The option to remain premium would remain (purchase ala carte) and any way you look at its additional income on an already acquired item.
    • Like x 1
  14. KHALONofOGUN 10000 Post Club

Fair enough. Although no one is saying "these prices are awesome"...at best they're saying the prices are fair. Whether you think so or not, it is entirely possible for the prices to be fair while still being high.

Those rare auras (and rare non-aura items) are big ticket luxury items for this game. No one should have expected them to be priced at impulse buy prices...that's not remotely realistic or in keeping with their usual strategy. But again, I'm not fighting against anyone wanting to campaign for lower prices for those particular items...I just won't co-sign on the "unfair" or "exorbitant" hyperbole especially when we're talking about $15 to unlock something that the majority of us clearly paid way more for the first time around.
    • Like x 4
  15. Shark Dental Devoted Player

I was expecting them to be priced according to the whole point (at least what I thought the whole point was), namely, style unlocks for alts. It isn't unreasonable (now, I'm obviously not saying the auras should cost 22 RBs either, lol) to have expected a lower price of around $5 for TC auras and $10 for ultra-rare items like wings of sin, sandstorm auras and original nimbus, etc. if they really were as rare as materials are, considering that the idea was ostensibly that one would unlock these items many times over on many alts.

Instead, it looks like they're wanting to aspire for maybe (a big maybe) one unlock, per item, ever. So maybe my understanding of the point of style unlocking was off, but I don't really think it's fair to criticize people who had expectations of lower prices, considering how style unlocking was marketed.

Either way, both points of view result in profit for the devs, and they just have to decide which is more feasible. I just hope they're not so locked into a definite way of doing things that if this idea bombs (i.e. very few unlocks due to the high prices) they don't say, "hey, it didn't really work out, so we're scrapping the other phases because you guys didn't support it..." and instead at least attempt lower prices once and see how it goes vs. the higher prices.
  16. Proxystar #Perception

I prioritise my spending based on what I'm doing at any given point.

I would like to unlock the og nimbus and plasmic on at least two other characters at some point if that answers your question.

Even if they were cheaper I don't think it'd necessarily make me unlock more because it comes down to desire or lack thereof
    • Like x 4
  17. Isif Committed Player

I am surprised at the number of people demonizing a new option that was previously unavailable. If you decide that all of your alts need the OG Nimbus that your main has, at least you now have a speedier option than trying to locate one in game from someone who will probably gouge you. If you hate the system, then do it the old-fashioned way, but don't hate that someone else can throw a couple of bucks at it and not have to spend their entire DC $avings on a sparkly.
    • Like x 7
  18. Plowed In Loyal Player

Thumbs up for calling it a sparkly :)
  19. Ant Tao Well-Known Player

Forum posters: BrEaD iS GoOd fOr YoU, bE GrEaTfUl. If YoU DoNt wAnT tO eAt It, ThEn DoNt PaY fOr It
    • Like x 2
  20. Plowed In Loyal Player

Silly response to follow, skip if you’re not interested:

I’d take a sword over a spear any day, much more versatility. Milk is ~88% water, I’m ok with a B+. Hmm...is there a vegetarian option?

My best interest is not to be able to buy every sparkly, crackly color swatch available. It’s just not my thing and never understood the hype, let alone the value some attribute to them. To each their own. My best interest is to enjoy the ride for however long it lasts. If it stops being enjoyable, I can get off. Lately I think they’ve done a great job overall. Deluge stuff has been awesome. Superman stuff coming soon. :)

“Repetitively chasing gear cycles” ...is this your first mmo?
    • Like x 1