New Controller power

Discussion in 'War Room (Powers, Artifacts, & Builds)' started by leapoffaithninja, Jan 23, 2014.

1. WraithShadow13 Active Player

it really is awesome to see so many others than want this power set to happen. Over all though, what would you rather see, Umbrakinetics as a tanking power or a controller power?

And secondly, what would you like to see that makes it unique? Green/Yellow/Red lanterns have combos, as does the Celestial. Rage has the damage negation and celestial has the heal/dps dots and such. What would be a great mechanic for the Shadow powers?

Maybe using fear like a second resource or a buff? The more your enemies fear you, the less your powers costs and the more damage they do? More powerful enemies of course would have a strong resistance to this, but still be some what vulnerable, for raids. Mentalists might be able to use this as well if they're updated.

Perhaps Darkness powers could debuff your enemies accuracy by darkening their view?

Maybe each attack could have a chance to summon shadow spawn to aid in the fight? This one is my favorite, as they would be weaker pets, but able to call multiples. There could even be a super charge that uses the number of enemies to summon more (like you're turning their shadows against you). This one is my favorite so far.

As I've said earlier, I would love to see this be a viscous and thick darkness, so maybe as a controller they could have a passive slow or bind effect, where the character is bogged down by the darkness. Certain powers could be hold effects that open rifts to the shadow lands or hold people in place with gooey tendrils of black ooze, with the passive of this effect spreading out to other nearby enemies.

Given that this power is limited only by the imagination (and the ps3), there are a lot of really creative things that can be done visually. What all would you want to see to make this a unique powerset?
    • Like x 1
  2. DaKrushmor Loyal Player

Name of Powerset: Darkness/Negative/Void
    Role: DPS/Controller
    Character Creator Inspirations: Obsidian (Heroes) & Shade (Villains)
    Trail color: Black (both sides, without any tints)

Power Trees:
    Shadow - can animate shadows, as well as induce darkness to temporarily blind your enemies, and due that make crowd control.
    Nihility - can manipulate NEGATIVE energy, with which help you may drain your enemies & thus drive them outta battle, also that energy could be transferred to yourself & teammates. Unique: can drain enemy's power bar in PvP.

Shadow Tree

Tier 1:

Shadow Bolt:
    Throws ball of concentrated shadow at your enemy, knocking & damaging them.
    Power interactions: Devastated enemies take extra damage.
    Controller role: Power over Time.
    Requires: None

Tier 2:

Ebon Lash:
    Pulls an enemy toward you.
    Power interactions: Devastated enemies take extra damage.
    Requires: Shadow Bolt

Shadic Disturbance:
    Causes shadow of your targets resist against them, dealing damage over time & slowing their movement.

Protective Shadow:
    Summons a pet, that taunts enemies.

Tier 3/4:

Obscure Cage:
    Traps an enemy inside a cage made of shadows to DoT.
    Power interactions: Crushes enemies.
    Controller role: 2 targets, Heal Debuff
    Requires: Ebon Lash

Frightful Night:
    Unleashes at enemies wave of darkness, that causes them to be terrified & panicked
    Power Intearctions: Terrorizes enemies.
    Requires: Shadic Disturbance

Battle Shadow:
    Summons a DPS role pet.
    Requires: Protective Shadow

Tier 5:

Blinding Shadows:
    Throws veil of clinging shadow at your enemies, that sticks to their eyes & blinds them for a while. That counts as stun.
    Power Intearctions: Terrorizes enemies.
    Controller role: Damage Debuff
    Requires: Obscure Cage

Hole of Horror:
    Makes hole of poured shadow at the ground, that roots & continuously damages anyone inside.
    Power Interactions: Devastated enemies take extra damage.
    Requires: Frightful Night

Black Fire:
    Assaults your target with shadow fire, that black-colored, but burns like normal. Deals damage & damage over time & stuns affected targets.
    Power interactions: inflicts Burning.
    Controller role: Defense Debuff.
    Requires: Battle Shadow

SUPERCHARGES:

Ebon Barrier:
    50%
    Protects teammates, deals damage back & restores power.

Shadic Call:
    50%
    Summons temporary shadow pets with number, based on enemy's quantity.

Nihility Tree

Tier 1:

Power Glutton:
    Drains energy from AoE of your enemies, enervating & disabling them.
    Power Interactions: Devastates enemies.
    Controller Role: Power over Time.
    Requires: None

Tier 2:

Dimensional Dive:
    Drops off aggro & teleport, diving in your shadow.
    Requires: Power Glutton

Obscure Power:
    Buffs your weapons, causing it to deal extra ticks of damage. Those ticks have increased rate of power restoration to yourself.
    Power Interactions: Burning or Electrified enemies provide extra power restoration.
    Controller Role: Stuns target & nearby enemies per tick.

Backdoor Replenish:
    Restores power for 3 teammates.

Tier 3/4:

Planar Rift:
    Establishes on place of your enemy dimensional rift to nowhere, that continuously damages them & can inflict random crowd control effects or power interactions.
    Requires: Dimensional Dive

Negative Ions:
    Blasts your targets with bolt of unnatural electricity, stunning them.
    Power Interactions: Devastated enemies take extra damage, Electrifies targets.
    Controller Role: Heal Debuff
    Requires: Obscure Power

Thermal Drain:
    Start continuously absorb thermal energy from surrounding enemies, inflicting frostbite to them & placing under ice root.
    Power Interactions: Rooted or Frostbitten enemies are encased. Inflicts Frostbite. Burning or Electrified enemies provide power restoration to yourself.
    Requires: Backdoor Replenish

Tier 5:

Void Hole:
    Establishes a black hole on enemy's location, that sucks everything toward it, rooting them afterwards.
    Power Interactions: Devastates enemies.
    Controller Role: Defense Debuff
    Requires: Planar Rift

Negative Blast:
    Vulnerable to interrupt.
    Charges & blasts huge bolt of negative energy, that damages & stuns anyone, who approach it.
    Power Interactions: Devastated, Terrorized, Frostbitten & Rooted enemies take extra damage.
    DPS Role: 60% modifier
    Requires: Negative Ions

Devour Essence:
    Vulnerable to interrupt.
    Extracts remaining life energy from single target enemy, stunning it & dealing extra damage to enemies under 35%.
    Power Interactions: Devastates a target.
    Controller Role: Damage Debuff
    PvP: unique - drains power bar from your opponent.
    Requires: Thermal Drain

SUPERCHARGES:

Heart of Darkness:
    35%
    Pulls everything toward yourself & damages. You gain temporary invulnerability per duration of that move.

Life Extraction:
    35%
    Hits single enemy, causing their life energy drain outta them & restore Health over Time to yourself. Stuns a target.

l agree this way negative powers are pretty viable & pretty interesting - but l wanna see next Controller - Sound not less. Note: l described might-based set, but it could be precision based if about shadowish constructs. But after Sound let devs look at Weather or Negative powers!
    • Like x 4
  3. JosEl Well-Known Player

i think that if you use this power, it will have more contact to the black lantern corps, so it has to be changed, and as a tank this power will be better
    • Like x 1
  4. DaKrushmor Loyal Player

l don't think so - for Tank = Atomic, Metal, Cybernetic
    How can hold Darkness user damage? He will down at once. Oppositely, Atomic user can't crowd control. But darkness can find multiple ways - e.g. bling enemies with darkness, lnduce fear, drain their energy (discharge & cause getting tired instantly, oops) etc.
  5. Sage-Rapha Steadfast Player

Still pushing the Atomic Agenda huh?

And shadow powers or darkness powers would be perfect for trolling.
    Atomic... tank yeah. Massive dps potential.
  6. RageOfHeaven1990 New Player

OMG. Krush you have just restored my faith in you. Granted I doubt that means much to you but just wanted to let you know. :D

Granted I'm not fond of all the moves but it definitely shows promise.

I still think darkness should come before sound, but both should be in the game. I kind of pictured shadows somewhat similar to how the Rage powerset works. A very viable might based, as well as precision based.
    • Like x 1
  7. Chaos Evolution Devoted Player

lol just make it all black colored
  8. RageOfHeaven1990 New Player

Personally, I think it could work wonderfully as a tank power, or a troll power. Since most people can state why it would work for trolling, I'll say how a possible way of working for tanking.

It would be a more challenging tank power than even Rage but the rewards could be wonderful.

One thing you must be aware of is that The Shade and Obsidian both get their powers from the Shadowlands. The Shadowlands is a completely separate dimension, and this is where the tanking capability could come in.

Imagine being able to completely absorb and redirect damage back to your enemy (within reason of course). For example, a boss/mob is hitting you. If you time opening a dimensional rift right the attack goes into the shadowlands it absorbs 100% of the damage and you take nothing while a second dimensional rift also opens in a different location and their attack hits them instead. This time window would obviously have to be quite small or it would have to be a limited mechanic to keep it from being abused (i.e. spammed and being completely invincible).

It's a very rough concept at the moment, but I think it would be an extremely fun and rewarding tank power if you could get it to work.

As for a special mechanic I would like to see is a mechanic where certain moves give you secondary options. For example, a move called:

Shadow Trident. Standard Burst Damage move.
    Tap melee: Staff section of Trident turns into a Venomous Snake to inflict a single target DOT.
    Tap range : Staff section turns into two different tridents (total of 3 tridents) which are directed at additional enemies.

Things along those lines would be great in my opinion, because it would really incorporate a new level to be mastered. "Should I use a DOT or help kill the mobs".

Also, this power would have to have teleportation, clones, and constructs. It is far too much of a Jack of all trades powerset to be limited.
    • Like x 1
  9. WraithShadow13 Active Player

I really think that they just really need to reconsider trolling in general. As i've stated before, i'm not someone else's sidekick. I'm not here to make others look good or to be a battery. If I'm going to be a controller, than i need to be able to control the flow of battle, i NEED to be able to control enemies in the fight. Being locked out of that ability on end game content really doesn't seem to make sense. While i get that "lex luthor is too powerful to control" you can't invalidate an entire character class. while being a battery does something for trollers, it makes me sad that the only reason you need them at all in end game is to keep other heroes or villains powered up.

For that reason alone, i hope that this power doesn't become a control power. It would cheapen the power, as it does with the existing ones, and frankly it shows the lack of better planning and creativity, which is terrible in any game, let alone a super hero mmo. Just look at poor Champions online, and how big of a mess that was allowed to become. No matter how strong i build my controller, they're useless against bosses higher than tier two or three. Don't be Champions online, and don't cop out and make umbrakinesis a controller power.

To be honest, it would be interesting to see it taken into a pure DPS power as well. This tree has a LOT of potential, so just limiting it to a battery for other players would be unacceptable.

Imagine this:
    Take what you've said, and make it group wide? Rather than being a damage sponge, why not make it pure mitigation tanking? Either by debuffing accuracy or negating damage, but allowing it to have the group wide effects? DPS could debuff the accuracy and such for all enemies hit, but then the tanking could block damage by sending it to the shadowlands?

I dunno, i've just always felt that this game did a terrible job when it came to power sets, especially since their story is you have powers directly copied from real heroes, yet you can't really get that in game. the iconics really just let you pretend (imo at least). I've loved what they've been doing with the newer sets, but it really doesn't seem enough. They're starting to expand out and get more creative, but really, they're too stifled in the old poorly made system.
    • Like x 1
  10. RageOfHeaven1990 New Player

That was pretty much what I said in my previous post.

You could also open up a dimensional portal to send the damage back to the enemy (within reason of course). Their shields could be a darkness aura. I came up with a interesting idea for a mechanic though. At least I think it is.

Example move :
    Shadow Trident. Standard Burst Damage move.
    Tap melee: Staff section of Trident turns into a Venomous Snake to inflict a single target DOT.
    Tap range : Staff section turns into two different tridents (total of 3 tridents) which are directed at additional enemies.
  11. WraithShadow13 Active Player

I'm sorry, for some reason, i'd thought I'd put a "like you said" in there, but i guess not. I was going with what you said though, because there really is a lot of potential for the shadow/darkness powerset. I just hope they don't cop out on us and say "that's what the cursed set is", because some one already pointed out why that isn't the case. Plus dual powersets like celestial and nature really don't seem to be great as they're two half sets mushed into one.
    • Like x 1
  12. RageOfHeaven1990 New Player

I understand. My apologies.

I completely agree, Celestial is nothing at all similar to what a Shadow/Darkness powerset could be.
  13. neidler New Player

make it so
  14. leapoffaithninja Committed Player

ideas just keep on coming i think i might revise my tree some more, every suggestion is valuable so happy you all like the idea
  15. sean04122009 Well-Known Player

my old dark troll post(might give u a few ideals) https://forums.station.sony.com/dcu...the-future-guide-11-new-powers-22-trees.2423/
    3)Dark(Dark Arts/Shadow)=Controller
    • inspiration-shade,raven, obsiden and blue devil
    • color-black and dark purple
    • dark art tree-magical blood effects
    • shadow tree-dark and shaded effects
    Dark Arts-Infuse your dark energy with blood spells to create blood magic. This magic allow you to summon, transform and use forms of hell fire. This tree has strong crowd control abilities and pet abilities.
    1)Hell Imps-Two imps appear shooting out balls of hell fire. Once they disappear your lightning bolt will as well, so reapply pot and they will spread plasma ( p-o-t)(inflict plasma burn)
    2)Demonic Empowerment-restore power to 3 most fatigued group members grants +84 might and +90pre
    3)Blood Shield-(20 sec cool down) Surround you and 3 group members . This blood shield convert all damage back as power and decrease incoming damage.)Plasma burned enemies will take damage back when striking your shield.{PET}-provide a shield for your pet
    4)Hellish Stare- instantly stun enemies (Healing Debuff) (plasma inflicted enemies take additional damage)
    5) Pet Tamer – Drop a skull chain in the ground that emerges underneath their target attaching themselves to four targets neck causing them to kneel.(Defense debuff){PET}- skull chain appear around your pet and other pets which will heal over time.
    6)Demonic Arm-(knock-back)A demonic arm appears on your arm as you strike the ground splitting it sending out a wave of plasma energy.
    7) Deadly Sins-100%Supercharge-Summon the seven deadly sins. Up to seven members in your raid gain their own pet that will personally give them power back until they die.
    8 )-Ritual alter-{360 push} Put hands on the ground summoning a mid -size bone alter (bigger than soul well). alter damages enemies with its essence by pushing enemies back with 3 pulse waves that 3 seconds apart and up to 3 can be placed on the field.(attack debuff) {PET}-Your pets gain a 10% attack buff (beast form gain small power back from alter)
    9} Cerberus/Minotaur-{TROLL-CERBERUS}Summon a Three-Headed canine to burn and terrorize the enemy. This canine gives back power to its master and increases critical power chances. {DPS-MINOTAUR}-summon this warrior beast to massacre the battlefield. Increase critical strike chances. (plasma burned and panicked enemies take additional damage)
    10) Beast form- Transform depending on gender either into a SUCCUBUS or a INCUBUS. In this form you gain two unique abilities. -{TROLL}-vit increase by 55-{DPS} -precision increase by 75 (This form grant you Flight movement and a transformation of a demon with ominous wings,claws,horns and a spiked tail)
    11) Demi God-50%Supercharge-Transform into a being with a new loadout that grants a new movement glide . You glide a cross the screen levitating dealing damage with these new godly powers.
    12) Blood Pact- Trigon eyes hover above you .Increasing you might and critical attack chance for yourself and up to 3 group members ((plasma burned enemies take additional damage)

Shadow-Ability to create, control or manipulate darkness, often by mentally accessing a dimension of dark energy and controlling and manipulating it in a variety of effective ways by binding and terrorizing your enemies.
    1) Intertwine- 3 shadows travel through the ground extending from you binding enemies(root 3 enemies)(p-o-t)(inflicts terror)
    2)Cloak- (one time cast) Produce a small-mid range AOE of shadows underneath your character. This cloak grants 10% addition precision,10% dom and all [PETS] within the cloak gets power back. This cloak allow certain abilities to extend their powers by holding the melee button after casting that ability creating a SHADOW EFFECT. (Terrorized or panicked enemies who step within this cloak will flea in fear)
    3)Pandora box-{encasement}Open a small chest towards the enemy. Shadows flow from the box Encasing enemies in its path. Shadow effect-have all encasement explode . (d-o-t/ inflict crush)(Defense Debuff)
    4)Void-.Drain the light out of an area creating a void. These voids create a ball in front of you that consumes up to 3000 worth of damage..Shadow effect- Hold melee afterwards to have the void split into 4 pieces that circle you. These voids disappear when your hit so 4 chances of immunity.
    5)Dark push-a instant spiral of dark energy comes out your eyes forcing enemies and objects away from you (knock-back)Shadow effect-instead of ending the push with a knock-back, the dark energy wraps around the target head( Attack Debuff)
    6)Shroud link- cast a dark shroud on 1 enemy. This shroud connect to other shadows locking a link of shadows to nearby inflicted enemies (slows movement)(crushed, electrified, terrorized enemies take on additional damage and risk the chance of being linked)
    7)Valley of shadows-75%SUPERCHARGE-A giant wave of shadow clouds crash the ground sweeping the entire field. It leaves a deadly mist that deal major damage. Shadow effect-hold melee afterwards to have crows appear out your cloak dealing crit damage within the mist.
    8 )Shadow fall-..A portal appears above your target, you emerge out the shadows fist first hitting the ground with burst damage sending out a (360)wave of shadow . Shadow effect- the wave reverse pulling in enemies((crushed enemies take additional damage)
    9)Dark leech-50%SUPERCHARGE-(the wielder pull in large amount of dark energy from everywhere and releases it in an giant pulse which hit 8 victim shadows . These shadows become in instant agony, deform and start attacking its caster. (causes a hard stun and instant panic)
    10)Chaotic portal-a portal appears behind your target. You emerge out the portal shooting out a cone of dark electric energy. Shadow effect- grants 5 sec immunity to get away(inflict electric) (Heal Debuff)
    11)Tentacle Extension- multiple tentacles appear everywhere from the ground binding all targets. Shadow effect =hold melee for additional tentacles to emerge from your cloak damaging those enemies .(Inflict terror)
    12)Bump in the Night-casts a sea of shadows on the ground. This Deadly sea is similar to circle of protection but it will be a giant square of dark shadows creatures jumping in and out the ground((rooted, slowed, crushed and terrorized enemies take additional damage.)
    • Like x 1
  16. leapoffaithninja Committed Player

17. leapoffaithninja Committed Player

UPDATE PART 4 ADD OTHER POWERS http://powerlisting.wikia.com/wiki/Darkness_Manipulation http://powerlisting.wikia.com/wiki/Dark_Energy_Manipulation http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dark_energy http://powerlisting.wikia.com/wiki/Umbrakinetic_Combat http://powerlisting.wikia.com/wiki/Shadow_Generation http://powerlisting.wikia.com/wiki/Shadow_Mimicry
    darkness manipulation shadow manipulation and dark energy manipulation concept
    Power tree Shade of Shadows description tree based on fear the abilities will cause terror as well
    fear and rooting Specializing in the tree Shade of Shadows Tree Grants +1% critical attack chance and +35 power
    1.Shadow teleportation or Shadow Deception: it is a pot different re-imaginations of pot it allows the user to give power and escape target from npc
    2.(Gallow: to fear or fright) in the Shadows: provides a instant power dump to three members with lowest power in the group
    3.Shadow tendrils: long range attack will strike up to four enemy's at once rooting and causing fear
    4.Dark Malice: pulls the enemy toward you only to teleport behind them and stab them damage debuff
    5. Terror of shadows: 25% super charger creates a 12 tendrils that seek and destroy said target
    6.Shadow armor: a skill buffs your health and defense transforms you into a shadow being sort of like ice buff
    7.Blackest Night: 50% or 100% supercharger creates a sphere of darkness what ever is caught in this inflict massive damage the user of the ability teleports all in the sphere stabbing and slashing the enemy, senses of the enemy are dazed fear and confused they are then rooted for a time.
    8.Negative Bubble: creates shield that prevents incoming damage
    9. Shadow Redemption allow send a shadow that roots and causes fear defense debuff
    10.Shadow construct concept: summon a multiple of weapons that can be thrown at enemy’s
    11.Deceptive Shadow: create a shadow in your image or the tanks image to help pull agro allowing you to continue to do damage give power or help pick up fallen comrades healing debuff
    12.Corrupt shadow wave: send out a pulsing wave of shadow dark energy or tendrils that root and cause fear and burst damage
    Power tree Darkness Energy bring your enemy’s to their knees by manipulating darkness and dark energy grounding gravity effects specializing in this tree +5% critical attack damage and +10 vitalization
    1.Darkness aura: provides a buff for all darkness energy abilities and provides a pot grounding and stunning enemy’s
    2. Dark Gravity: a melee attack that inflicts grounding
    3.Darkest Forces: imbue your weapon with dark energy increasing the chance that your enemy will take damage extra damage they can be grounded or rooted
    4.Dark Implosion: knocking enemy’s down on the ground damage debuff
    5.Dark energy field: 50% supercharger protects yourself and 7 others while active enemy attacks grant you power
    6.Dark Energy Emission: blast your enemy damaging them and inflicting fear and stunning any enemy’s that are 35% or lower take additional damage
    7.Dark Emotion: 50 % supercharger blast your enemy with shadows and dark energy inflicting grounding and fear
    8.Dark energy bomb: inflicts burst dark damage inflicting gravity healing debuff
    9. Dark Summoning: summon a pet that deals damage and helps restore power
    10.Dimensional black hole: summon a black hole equal to your might inflicting massive damage pulling and rooting and grounding enemy’s reduce defense
    11.Dark Terror Shadow Well: uses dark energy to inflict grounding and Fear terror, Enemy’s that are all ready grounded or who have been inflicted by fear or gravity effects will take extra damage
    12.Darkest Light: a blast of energy that inflicts terror fear and grounding 60% modifier
    OTHER POSSIBLE POWER
    Shadowland's Ascension: different from shadow armor the user is surrounded by dark energy and is transformed into something from the that dimension similar to the pic of shade up above concept still evolving
    Evolving Shadow: summon a pet that provides power or dps depending on role

[IMG]
    [IMG]
  18. RageOfHeaven1990 New Player

Love the ideas. I came up with a rough set up as well for tanking. Only spent about 1.5 hours thinking up moves and combos and formatting the post.

Here you go if you happen to want to look at it.
    https://forums.station.sony.com/dcu...-ideas-could-be-a-controller-powerset.204807/
    • Like x 1
  19. TheDarknessWithin Loyal Player

MUST HAVE!!!!!!! O.O
    • Like x 1
  20. Vyltran Loyal Player

This means creating a new DLC with a new content, and find some sort hero/villain version so both sides don't get affected.. and this is like making a celestial power just for trolling.. not sure about this...