MMO or Fashion Show

Discussion in 'Gotham City (General Gameplay)' started by Savior Prime, Mar 15, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Magnificent Loyal Player

While "80 percent" is definitely an exaggeration on content work it's not a completely unfair one (at least for those on the outside looking in who do not know enough about the business to know they don't know enough) because the perception is understandable as styles can seem to be a primary focus in many Livestreams.

We (including myself here because the last time I coded was COBOL :p and I've never been a game developer) don't see the time and effort put into building a given instance (GOM, as just a random example). That's environment art, encounter placement, triggers, new models, the bajillion things that goes into boss fights (scripting, aggro wipes or not, AEs or not, defense, adds or not, special triggers, aggro list management, special abilities, etc) and probably other things I haven't thought of as well as it all making sense within a story framework and then synching it all up with cinematics and voiceovers (which had to be scheduled and recorded ahead of time).

We also don't see the delineation in duties. We don't know that someone creating wall or floor textures isn't creating player hair styles or shimmering auras.

What we see is a Livestream which talks about the DLC's overall story, briefly talks about the instance (maybe does a bit of a walkthrough, maybe not), we see the other locations of the new DLC and we get some oohing and aahing over new styles. Sometimes the style talk is just a minor aspect (Metal 2 livestream), sometimes it's a goodly chunk (BoP). Add that to the Time Capsule Livestreams which are almost completely style-oriented and you can see how the OP could have such a perception that most of the focus is on styles instead of content.

Which brings me to...

[IMG]

The amount of mission content per DLC isn't really all that good for telling these big, cosmic events (at least not without breaking it up into multiple Parts), it's part of why many lament the difference between the 1-30 game vs the post-30 game (the other part is how the game made your character feel central to the universe back then and now it doesn't, but that's a longer rant). But the amount of content is limited (I'm guessing) by manpower. The more/different content issue is why I (and probably others) have brought up the move to newer tech (I know we've had discourse on Unreal upgrades before, my point on that being the time-saving feature of the dungeon builder in 4).

At the very least I think many of us would like to know there are moves being made towards tech which would allow leaving behind limitations of the past. For instance, how much revenue are you leaving on the table because you can't offer something like an emote packages (whether in TCs or via the Store)?

I realize the costs and hurdles of doing these things are high but we're coming to a point where it's do them here, do them in a DCUO 2 or be replaced by a superhero MMO which will.

[IMG]
    • Like x 3
  2. Proxystar #Perception

That's because all feedback is valid lol

If you think for a moment though that there's not going to be new open worlds in the future when the story creates a necessity then you're fooling yourself.

When the story has suited Gotham or Metro they've used those environments, when they've needed a new one they've created it i.e Mogo, Gotham wasteland, New Genesis, 31st century Metropolis...

They're not going to stop doing these simply because you say so.

In terms of how long I've been here, I'm a pretty open book you're welcome to look, the gradual improvements to time capsules over the years have been a result of my feedback, amongst other people, I'm certainly not going to take full credit for anything because it's never about one person's feedback.

Ive hit them up about pricing issues over the years resulting in changes etc. This certainly isn't an exhaustive list of feedback by any means.

You obviously think im a dev defender huh and just sugar coat everything, if you knew me at all, you'd know that's not true, I simply don't agree there's an issue with the rate of cosmetic release discussed in this thread.
    • Like x 5
  3. zNot Loyal Player

Im not taking full credit either about my suggestion. Well theres plenty of people that voiced their opinion in this thread and its good to see that many realized this.
  4. K3str3lDC Dedicated Player

So in other words: If you want the content you're asking for, the styles are necessary and what makes it even approach the realm of possibility. They go hand in hand rather than head to head. Trying to pit them against each other is a false dichotomy.
    • Like x 4
  5. zNot Loyal Player

Yup i understand it but i still dont get how we get such little content in episodes considering the revenue dcuo makes.
    • Like x 1
  6. KHALONofOGUN 10000 Post Club

2020 was a terrible year that had a lot of disruptions. Remember that pesky little Pandemic which forced the Devs to work from home??? And there were likely other issues which they haven't discussed...none of which had anything to do with cosmetic releases (no matter how much you wish to blame the wrong thing for the situation).
    • Like x 2
  7. zNot Loyal Player

Are they still working from Home? I dont blame the devs btw they have no controll of this but isnt dimension ink aware of this lack of episode content caused by the pandemic? Arent they gonna do something to combat this? Or are they just thinking like this = hey sorry its a pandemic you have to deal with this lack of content untill its over. Is this how they approach this?
  8. Mentaldope40 Dedicated Player

Request to the team: I just want PvP to get some deserving attention, new Iconic expansions, and new Skins and Hairstyles, pretty much what some had said already in this thread.
    • Like x 1
  9. Proxystar #Perception

No it's because they're working well in advance, in wonderverse they tried something different, initial feedback was actually somewhat positive, it then turned on them because of the lack of content becoming a bit more apparent towards the tail end of Wonderverse, by that time though Legion and its similar open world bounties was already heavily in development, past the point of change, so they got hit with even more negative feedback about it and this next DLC is being changed because they've now had time to actually action the feedback.

The problem with the last few DLCs wasnt because it was actually bad content, it was simply because it was less content because they were obviously trying to create that bounty experience and they'd started it some time ago.

I know you're also trying to disregard event content as irrelevant but also bear in mind they were probably also working on that for some time as well.

You combine that with managing working from home during a pandemic and there's your more likely reason as to why it's taken so long to see a change in content direction entirely irrelevant to cosmetics.

These cosmetics theyre releasing as well are also very similar they're worked on months and months in advance of release, it's not like they're sitting there every day working solely on cosmetics at the expense of content, what you're seeing in game today was more often that not created and completed months ago.
    • Like x 4
  10. KHALONofOGUN 10000 Post Club

HELLO!!!! Did you suddenly forget that we have to wait till April for new content???? Did you forget the longer than usual gap????
    • Like x 1
  11. zNot Loyal Player

So this means we can expect content in episode 40 that was build similar to the episodes pre-lockdown?

I and im sure many dont mind waiting a month longer per episode during this pandemic to give us the content we usually get before lockdown was a thing.

We have had low episode content and rushed raids in the last 3 dlcs...so it should make sense why so many are complaining about this.
  12. zNot Loyal Player

So i should be silent untill i see the next episode to see if as you say they implemented the feedback we gave. I still complained to show how bad the situation is with the Epsiode content tons of people here saying similar things.
  13. Proxystar #Perception

I don't think the raids were rushed at all, you have to cut past your subjective distaste for them, we get it you don't like them, but that doesn't mean they were rushed.

The biggest issue was because there was only one raid instead of two and the reason for that was because of the open world bounties there's absolutely no evidence that they spent all their time in bounties and then said "oh **** we better make a raid real quick"and then struggled to even make one.

The amount of time spent creating these raids are likely no more or no less than any other and in the absence of knowing with absolute certainty I would never alledge otherwise.

Also just because a raid is designed to be completed in 11 minutes through a speed feat doesn't mean it's development was rushed either, it just means the developers have designed it with a forethought of it being completed quickly, not that they've by any means developed it in a lunch break.

No one is telling you to be silent, you're more than entitled to give you're feedback, just know that it's not going to necessarily be right, it's not going to necessarily be picked up by the devs and other players aren't always going to agree.

You would say exactly the same thing of my feedback ;)

As for the next DLC we already know they've changed it to a more classic composition, so you don't need to wait, you already know they've listened.
    • Like x 7
  14. zNot Loyal Player

This is true everything i seen so far 2 raids 3 bosses in one of them no openworld bosses and the elite duo is a very nice thing they added, i think i should be less worried then i am.

My only worry then would be the difficulty for the Elite raids will it be too easy again? Will we finally get 2 Tank design on some boss fights? Also when i say rushed content i also mean the Setup of the rolls if we are allowed to use 5 DPS and only 1 support roll the elite raid just comes across as rushed to stretch it out it needs to be less about doing high damage to them but more about sustaining the bossfight and longer bossfights and more about support rolls (like Elite content used and should to be). But thats another Topic either way we will have to see next week or so when it comes to Test

Also This feedback on this thread was mainly about ep 39 and the last few epsiodes we had so i HOPE im wrong with my worry and that they will implement the changes we requested and avoid the mistakes that we had in episode 39 in the next episode and the future.
  15. zNot Loyal Player

Also to clarify when i said „will it be too easy again?“ i was talking from a support roll (Tank) perspective which also could be applied to other support rolls perspective since Tanks and healers and trollers work together so again i dont mean easy from a DPS perspective.
  16. RunfromDanger Man Dedicated Player

So the awesome suit from LoS, the amazing legs of the latest TC style (love the whole thing but those pants are my favorite part)? PinkHavok is slowly moving up to my favorite designer. He’s got a lot of work to do to catch up to the Painter of Worlds, but he’s moving up fast. :)
    Dont worry though Programmer-Devs, y’all will always be my overall favorites. #unsungheroes
    • Like x 2
  17. RunfromDanger Man Dedicated Player

I love styles and base items. They’re what keep me playing the content. If I didn’t know that eventually a style or base item would come out, I probably would have stopped doing dailies all together until the new episode.
    I mean, ask my league. I love styles and base items. The only statue I have is most costume changes and I decorate our league hall enough that I’m surprised my decoration privileges haven’t been revoked. Lol
    • Like x 3
  18. Rejchadar Inquisitor

What's annoying about these topics is that people try lack of content they like provide as no content at all.

Tell me, which of these DLCs has less content? Metal 2, BOP or Wonderwerse? (each of them has something new in comparison with the old DLCs (new zone, new system of daily tasks, new boss system in the open world, etc.)

Metal 2- 1 Due (3 boss fights), 1 alert (2 bosses), 2 raids (4 boss fights and a card game), 2 bosses in the open world. 3 weekly tasks. 3 daily tasks. New zone.

BOP - 1 solo (2 bosses), 1 alert (3 bosses), 2 raids (4 fights with bosses). 2 bosses in the open world. 3 weekly tasks. .3 daily tasks. A slightly altered piece of the old zone.

Wonderverse -1 solo (2 bosses in 4 variants each), 1 alert (2 bosses). 1 raid (2 bosses), 6 boss fights in the open world (after one battle, depending on the duration, an additional boss will appear), 3 weekly tasks. 4 daily tasks. New zone with elements of old zones.
    • Like x 4
  19. zNot Loyal Player

Any episode starting from BOP had little raid content to me. BOP had probably 2 of the fastest raids ive seen especially fire and brimestone one of the easyiest elite raids if not the easyiest ever released only 2 bosses in both raids clocktower was also only 2 bosses and a 10 - 15 minute elite raid for both of these raids on elite the openworld was re-used which doesnt really bother me since i mainly pay attention to the raids.

Metal part 1 was one of my top 3 episodes of all times amazing raid content 3 bosses each raid good design good difficulty on Support rolls not rushed.

metal part 2 had slightly less raid content then metal part 1 and continued up to this episode 39 to be less and less.

The problem with wonderverse was the Openworld bosses and FGS didnt need to be this Big and new in size (the map) the fact that it had only 2 bosses despite being the only raid in that episode makes it look very poor on raid content even though im sure it took aloooot of time to make it something like false idols elite is still more appealing since it has 3 challenging bossfights even if the map is smaller and re-used its still more enjoyable.

Difficulty and Design and mechanics also influences this heavily.
  20. Rejchadar Inquisitor

Here you are just an example of what annoys me in these topics. The amount of content that you like has decreased and not the amount of content itself (for me personally, MoM is what a raid should not be, for me it is one of the worst in the last couple of DLCs, but I'm not saying that there is little content in Metal 1).
    • Like x 3
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.