MMO or Fashion Show

Discussion in 'Gotham City (General Gameplay)' started by Savior Prime, Mar 15, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Savior Prime Dedicated Player

It seems to me and apparently from what I read a few others, that DCUO has really become a fashion show. We ask for new powers/abilities, new content without rehashing old locations, to make the effort of getting SP matter more than it does now, etc... but 80 percent of new content is mainly styles and base items. Yea you get higher level gear, but mainly it's just styles.

Would be nice if they made content that keeps people coming back on after they get their CR maxed out for the episode and to do away with farming open world bosses for 8 alt marks. I for one don't want to have to take down 100 bosses for just 1 item, and have to do it again and again and again and again and again and again and again and again and again and again and again and again. There is farming, there is grinding, then there is OW Boss grinding. Don't make the game feel like work. It's supposed to be fun to play, not a chore.
    • Like x 7
  2. willflynne 10000 Post Club

Uh-huh.

Well, first off, when you take into account:
    • The Costume Contest thread being one of the longest running threads in this particular forum
    • The Costume Contest thread being the only player-generated/started thread to be pinned in this forum
    • Semi-regular complaints about our character creation/costume creation options being limited in comparison to other super hero MMOs (past and present)
    • The devs actually involving players in the selection of a new style and showing the process as it proceeds (and the devs getting a LOT of feedback in the limited time the suggestions were open)
    then it makes it tough to complain about any sort of costume focus in the game. Folks on both sides of the equation are pretty heavily invested in having characters look good and always have been.

As for content, they've already spelled out what's in store for the next episode in terms of content.

Announcing New Episode: World of Flashpoint | DC Universe Online Forums (daybreakgames.com)

Now, in regards to "not a chore"? It's only a chore if someone decides to make it one. We aren't mandated to run the new stuff right now and in a massive rush to get it all done as soon as possible. That's a player choice, because outside of the original Valentine's Day event I can't think of any content that's been removed from the game. It's all still there and available for play, and higher CR players aren't locked out of it.
    If someone plays content to the point that they burn out on it, that's ultimately on them.
    • Like x 13
  3. TheLorax 15000 Post Club

You've neglected the fact that the dev team that builds content is not the same dev team that designs styles. And the dev team that designs styles is not the same dev team that builds powersets. All of these different teams are given very different projects to focus on so when you see the art team is looking for fresh costume ideas this has nothing to do with what the other teams might be working on.
    • Like x 19
  4. K3str3lDC Dedicated Player

Yeah, plus new powers and the like need more resources, including more people. I believe they also have to get them approved by DC and WB, which for powers and things on that sorta level is much more of a hassle than getting them to approve a style. And with powers, even once they have the resources, need much more thought put into them, both in terms of functions and just what powers to make and add. They need to have a good collection of powers that work well in the game and with each other, are varied, and are appealing. But they can't just constantly pump out every idea for a power ever. I'm sure they have some they want to do and hope to do eventually, but rn it's just not quite as doable as some other things.
    • Like x 4
  5. SugarHoneyIcedTeaMix Well-Known Player

I guess the question would be (not asking you because how would you know) are the devs in charge of Balancing powers, content, or fixing pvp severely short staffed/lacking developers
    • Like x 3
  6. TheLorax 15000 Post Club

Powerset balancing has been happening in segments, for example they're currently working on DPS supercharges.

Fixing PvP has nothing to do with them being short staffed. PvP is a dumpster fire that requires putting a hold on any upcoming content. PvP is also very low priority. All the people complaining about PvP need to suck it up and go play Forknife.
    • Like x 4
  7. Shalayah Committed Player

Devs are definitely working on balancing powers, and fixing PVP (as much as it hurts to say) will require much more effort than you could possibly think and the devs+management have figured that it’s just not gonna be worth the effort to fix pvp.
    • Like x 2
  8. Illumin411 Loyal Player

The devs in charge of fixing PVP are severely understaffed. Current head count is at 0.
    • Like x 6
  9. Dark Soldier Dedicated Player

I would like more iconic powers. Every few dlcs we should get 1 or 2 iconics.Theres no reason why they cant copy quantum tunneling and add a boom tube
    No reason we cant get abilities from legends characters put into the iconic section ( probably beside saint walkers lantern stuff)

But instead they’re making emote trinkets. The once very loud cry for new iconic powers has really died down, maybe because we lost hope.
    • Like x 4
  10. Aduzar Light Dedicated Player

The problem on DC the devs remains too much on the past achievements, it hardly innovates, most of the time, it is more and more, recycling, a bit like call of duty finally ...

On the forum, the community offers ideas, or, to innovate, certain stuff, but radio silence on their part, for long-time players the game ends up quickly becoming boring or even disappointing because of Daybreak's lack of will. , without forgetting the "farm" to excess and certain carried out during his last years ...

In my opinion, for DC it would be high time to see what is being "done" on current games, but now, not just "watching", we must also act atypical content would not hurt the game, or even, reshaped what has not changed for x number of years on DC Universe Online !!!

It's good to provide a forum for the community, but after a while, maybe you should also "listen to it"!
    • Like x 2
  11. KneelBeforeZodd Dedicated Player

There are different devs for different things, plus, styles are alongside replays probably where they get all the money from to keep the game going, not doing styles would probably mean less content in the long term, not more.
    And there are no 100 bounties to farm in the next episode, so it shouldnt be a issue lol.
    • Like x 3
  12. Swamarian Committed Player

What MMO doesn't have fashion as "endgame?"
    Warframe (which isn't really a MMO, and has relatively limited customization) has "Fashionframe is endgame."
    Star Trek Online has "Space Barbie is endgame."
    People play Black Desert just for the customization.
    Ship of Heroes is putting a heck of a lot of work into character customization.

I've never played WoW. Maybe they're just into whatever gives the most plusses?
    • Like x 6
  13. Eve YouTuber

Why can't we have both? Let each type of players enjoy what they enjoy most. I love running content, decorating bases and make styles. So what? I'm all for the fashion show, it hurts no one.
    • Like x 10
  14. TheLorax 15000 Post Club

• Like x 5
  15. Darth Piper Loyal Player

I recall Mepps saying something about the loss of at least one DLC just to unravel what's been done to PVP over the years and then another to implement any fixes. There are far too many people who would stop their subscriptions and ignore all kinds of other things without new DLCs on a periodic basis.

Me? I'd be satisfied with 3 DLCs per year if they were robust enough and they also worked on other QOL updates and fixes with the time that might otherwise be spent doing a 4th DLC... fixing tactical mods (making them scale, making them do what they say they do, maybe making more useful ones for the leg socket), fixing the movement mode innates (e.g., Knockback Recovery), updating the email interface so we can have quick lists instead of having to scroll through a mile of names (I really pity those sending to someone whose character name starts in the latter part of the upper-case alphabet or early part of the lower-case alphabet and is a member of a large league and has a large friends list), an ability to bulk edit lists, making ignore (and possibly friends) lists work across accounts, increasing stack sizes of certain items, etc. They would have a noticeable improvement in game play and at least to me would be well worth it.
    • Like x 3
  16. TheLorax 15000 Post Club

Which is what I did back in February.

We already get 3 episodes a year.
    [IMG]
    PvP fixes and updates could knock us down to 2.
    • Like x 1
  17. K3str3lDC Dedicated Player

Yeah, the entire point of the game is to make your own characters for this version of the DCU and RP them. Creativity and ability to bring our ideas to life is crucial. Plus being able to really get our characters how we want them adds to immersion and makes it easier to connect and bond with our characters and by extension the Iconics they interact and form their own relationships with. I know I often hear in my head funny moments my characters might have with certain Iconics and NPCs (a lot of "you're very dead in my world" funnily enough) and even each other as several are interconnected like mentor and prodige or couples or rivals or such. But then I also need the rest to complete this. I need both to get my characters just right and to be able to run around and fight as them and take them on adventures. It's the second half of character, after all. The two really do not need to be pitted against each other. It's a false dichotomy. They not only aren't mutually exclusive but actually go hand in hand. Now, balance does matter, but we need both. There's a reason I and many others play this over the Marvel one where you just get in groups and each select an existing character.
    • Like x 3
  18. BUDOKAI101 Committed Player

It 100% a fashion mmo. If it wasn't pvp would be in fashion and powers and weapons would also have fashion by now. 10 years is a long time to wait but thats fine because ten years ago I didn't look this good thats all that matters now. Because everyone hangs on to styles its the only thing the game does right after 10 years. So it's no surprise that the game is a fashion show
  19. xxHELLSTROKExx Loyal Player

I gotta ask, why do you still play the game? Honestly just asking because you've never made a positive post about it that I can recall. There has to be something that keeps you playing no?

I loved gtav. Sunk tonnnnssss of time into it. Was insanely good at it/ owned everything possible even pure wastes like golden jets and chopper. Game moved in a direction I didn't like. Stopped playing. Didn't say a word about it to anyone/ forum/ facebook. Just quit.

Moved on to division 2. Really loved that game. They changed how you could design different builds because some of us became way too powerful. Players like me spent a ton of time designing different builds and it showed. Poof, gone. Quit the game. Had fun with both then they changed and I stopped playing and I remember the enjoyment and I'm glad I played. You seem like you should be at that point, call it done and remember the good times. Just an on lookers opinion, not trying to throw shade or anything. It just seems like this game is negative in your eyes so why have that bad energy in life ya know?
    • Like x 4
  20. TheLorax 15000 Post Club

I can't say it outright but I think it rhymes with 'crawdad control her'. ;)
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.