how can we make DC more "Fun"

Discussion in 'Gotham City (General Gameplay)' started by Badname392023, Jun 25, 2017.

1. willflynne 10000 Post Club

The biggest problem with trying to make DC more fun is that there are many different ideas about what would make the game fun but little chance of reaching a consensus about it.

For example, some of the stuff listed in the OP would be, for me, the last things I would think of adding to the game to try and make it more fun. Some of it is due to experiences in MMOs overall that make me question how well it'd work, while others just don't interest me. It's not to say that they're bad ideas or that I just hate them, it's just that I don't find them fun. And I know that if I were to offer some ideas, others would look on them in the same way as I see some of the ideas in the OP, as something that just doesn't seem fun.

What doesn't help discussions is that sometimes people will get too attached to their ideas, and instead of talking with others they just lash out when faced with criticism about the idea. That's always gonna make reaching a consensus tough.

We definitely need people offering ideas, but in the process we have to at least keep in mind that we won't all find the same things fun.
    • Like x 2
  2. xoHLxDPSox Steadfast Player

its always asked you to choose a weapon and power when making a new character though?
  3. Fatal Star 10000 Post Club

After everyone gets properly adjusted, difficulty shouldn't be too bad. Mechanics that were previously masked by overpowerd damage and heals will stand out more, like ground AoEs. I don't really know your skill level or any of the sorts but I assume you won't have many problems adjusting to it.

If anything content will just seem to take longer.
  4. 9001BPM Steadfast Player

Exactly, so why the heck am I exclusively spamming powers when I dps on live? Really looking forward to getting to use my damn weapon again.
  5. xoHLxDPSox Steadfast Player

is what I never got from the developers, they never did anything like a on-going poll of things they they compiled over the years that generally interested us to implement into the revamp. They just started reworking powers all willy-nilly.
  6. xoHLxDPSox Steadfast Player

you dont have to though? You choose to as ppl around love to say :rolleyes:
    • Like x 1
  7. 9001BPM Steadfast Player

Yeah, because I choose to not get kicked lolololol
  8. ozzy1111 Dedicated Player

not sure how people think the revamp is going to help. making everyone. no matter skill, or sp. all on the same lv will be fun. whats the point of sp then??? whats the point of working for that hard feat. whats the point, when I can just not do much anymore. and still be there with the high sp guys??? this is what they said they were going for...
    • Like x 2
  9. Fatal Star 10000 Post Club

• Like x 2
  10. Badname392023 Well-Known Player

A large chunk of the community arent even on par for a "sp matter" revamp. Yeah having different ways of playing can be fun but how fun is it to those who are low in sp and will fall behind? im all for the revamp bring it on but i dont see how it can be considered fun for the casual gamer.

thread wasnt for the revamp though thats a whole other subject. im getting more at "what else can we have in the game other than grinding for gear and doing feats" that players would enjoy
    • Like x 1
  11. willflynne 10000 Post Club

Well part of it I think is that we as a community have never really been able to come to much of a consensus over the years, so there's only so much they can work with in that respect. And just because of the licensed aspect of the game, some of my thoughts are going to go to how much DC allows. Kind of a stretch on that one, I know, but that thought always lingers. LOL

But I think the biggest part is that the devs are trying to put in what they think is fun as well, while at the same time trying to balance that with what players might be asking for and trying to find what would be fun for the majority of players in the game. In finding what looks to be fun for the majority of players, they can look at all the data available and see what does and doesn't get run along with any feedback they get from the forums. It's not perfect as the data might be misread, but if a particular piece/kind of content gets run a lot it's not outside the realm of possibility that one of the reasons is that players find it fun.
    • Like x 2
  12. IamINC Dedicated Player

The revamp is providing the majority of what I wanted , content will be more engaging and skill based other than a reliance on button mashing 1234 rotations with an OP/Glitched power , choice of play style and being able to use my weapons again effectively.

If they can make PvP decent again then that will surely improve the fun factor for a lot of players , I remember the old PvP days fondly with fight clubs and Arenas building cross faction friendships.

Open world content is also a must for me , more high level bounties spread over all areas and new side quests for both PvP and PvE.

Making older content viable to run for higher level characters also is something to look at , I really enjoy some of the content from T3-T6 and if we want stuff like CR Boost tokens to go away we need incentive for higher level players to Q and help the lower ones.

End game level versions of old raids like Black Dawn/Seeds of rot , FoS 2 and Paradox wave pre nerf with new rewards exlusive to those raids would be brilliant.
  13. MastaMind Dedicated Player

Some of these revamp posts crack me up.
  14. JasonIsley Devoted Player

Someone irrelevant who only solos raids suggested more engaging mechanics. So that's something.
  15. Jacob Dragonhunter Steadfast Player

I know I'm beating a Dead Horse, but possibly giving PVP some love and fixing down the road could make the game more fun again.

I remember a good amount of players enjoyed this game for PVP and PVE. And needless to say the former has suffered quite the abuse from not getting attention.

Other than that I'm not sure because DC is an MMORPG that revolves around content and feats, not sure how they could add stuff without messing with the formula that's been going on for so long.
  16. light FX Steadfast Player

Because people want to just mindlessly mash buttons in easy content while spending a bunch of $ on lottery boxes and/or replays. Simply turning a cog has become an issue for players now. This^ is what dcuo has become.

Im not sure why/how people think the revamp is going to be the fix for every issue. This is the 3rd revamp in the last 4 years and we are going through the same process as the other 2 yet somehow people think there will be a different result. SP will matter? Ok. 95% of stats will still come from gear. There is going to be 3 ways to play, pftt, hybrid, and weapons. But things have never been balanced yet somehow people think there will be balance among those 3 play styles. I could be wrong, but ill believe it when i see it. There are some big discrepancies with weapons atm on test. There are issues with power. Hopefully im wrong and it all turns out great and the game is much better. But i will say some players using the revamp as this end all be all fix for everything has gotten really old.

For me personally what will make the game fun again is engaging interesting content. The 1st dlc i experienced going live was OC and i was learning the game and wow did i have to pay attention and understand what i was doing. There were interesting mechanics that kept me on my toes. There was a struggle to finish some content instead of pushing 1234 for 15 mins beating every raid on day 1. And boss fights now seem to all be tank n spank while waiting for the boss to do that scripted attack. I say engaging and interesting but they are 1 in the same. If im interested im engaged. Thats all i really need.
    • Like x 3
  17. High Troller Loyal Player

I figured out why I'm missing part of this posting. Some of the responses weren't making sense.
  18. MsTickle Fate Devoted Player

I want to see a huge increase in environmental destructability. I would kill to see this retroactively majorly adjusted in Metropolis and Gotham, so we can smash into buildings and break pieces off of them, pull up chunks of earth with super-strength not just as an Earth power, occasionally smash right through buildings, and otherwise see a great deal more effort into making the open-world Metropolis and Gotham and Central City (preferably in all iterations) a deeper, richer, more immersive, experience.

It wouldn't hurt to be able to go underwater a ways, nor to drastically raise the flying height level so we can go so high as to barely make out details on the ground. Triple the current height limit, say. (Are there any technical issues doing this?)

And, incidentally, a space-based DLC or at least some content, would be lovely; we have always been able to go outside the Watchtower when glitching; why not take that weakness and make use of it as a strength? (Not the glitching part, obviously, but the coolness of flying around outside the Watchtower and down towards Earth.)

I want to see super-strength made much more fundamental a part of the game and much more interesting and offering much more varied possibilities. It's so basic to so many superheroes and yet so underused in DCUO. It's pretty much an afterthought: oh, look, i can pick up a car and throw it and do minor damage not worth bothering with. Woo-hoo. So much potential underused.

X-Ray vision could also be made actually useful in some situations if it let you actually see through walls and open up more options in instance mechanics.
    • Like x 3
  19. xoHLxDPSox Steadfast Player

they cant put in what they think is fun though, most of them dont realistically play this game like most of us on here do and some in-game do. So they cant speak for us. Because for the most part almost everything they have implemented in the past year or 2 has been a let down in my point of view.

I was excited for major events til I tried the 1st event which was what anti-monitor? After awhile I didnt even wanna play that crap anymore. This was before the 1st week was up btw.

time capsules another good idea but poorly implemented.

LvPE awesome idea truly, but seeing as we havent seen new maps, new legends in how long? It too has become a let down.

and yes I know not directly tied to revamp but it all effects the revamp via SP'.
  20. xoHLxDPSox Steadfast Player

thats the thing, people wont do it to often, unless there is a reason to do it, meaning unless theres feats to chase or some exclusive styles to get from said event.

Even then after that stuff is gotten people who get them wont do it anymore. Because the new hot item or feats aren't there to go after anymore.