going WE report

Discussion in 'Gotham City (General Gameplay)' started by stärnbock, Dec 25, 2017.

1. Kestral Committed Player

Still some kind of bonus to using WM -doesn't have to be as OP as during AM erra- without the use of artifacts would not be out of line for the number of skill points you have to sink into getting WM moves and the time to complete the combo.
    • Like x 1
  2. Mosquito_1 Well-Known Player

Uh huh...but, yet pfft suits the pro AM groups that would rather not pursue SP...it simply fits their argument.

Been that way for years...so, no point in continuing the discussion when the voices of DC purely out number those who choose the alternative..

.but, truth be told..pfft is the alternative..with the least resistance.

Keeping weapon buffs up and using certain powers based on situational purposes was the way the game was originally played.

AM ruined the game..even more so, the community..the devs simply adjusted their revamp ideas to where the major income is floating..because why put the work in that most MMOs require when you dont have to?

No SP?..or you just simply cant?..then here is your alternative...Pfft..

Dont want to grind?..then here are some alternatives that require money...etc..etc.
  3. OhSicks Well-Known Player

I'm considering creating a WE toon. I'm considering starting one from scratch and not just use one of my armories for the experiment so as to experience the choice from level 1-End Game. When considering powers to support the role, which is the better? I'd think your power would be one that buffs weapons or shields you. Given this, are controllers a better choice for a WE?
    • Like x 1
  4. ThePhilosophy Loyal Player

Any power with shields and dots. In my short stint as a precision water, i didnt like it cause there's only 1 DoT.

Ice, sorc, gadgets would all be great as precision
  5. L T Devoted Player

I didn't re-test all the weapons after the change, but most weapons had a good non-WM combo that could compete with the WM combos when clipped, as well as at least 1 good WM combo. The exception was Bow, which was absolute trash. I wasn't the only one who saw that-- I know at least 2 other testers who complained how bad the weapon was. We may have been over-enthusiastic in our complaints.

It did, in fact, include weapons. But there's more to weapon balance than just damage: range is also a thing and power return is an entire dimension that never gets discussed.

I'm not sure how in-balance the various combos are now without re-testing them, which is tedious, but there are a few combos that seem to work reasonably well.
    • Like x 1
  6. Black Prime OG Devoted Player

Your joking right? Besides bow or duel wield, what other weapons perform well?

And no, damage comes first in this game, let's be for real here. The damage of all weapons should have been balanced and then input the power regen.

I'm not saying weapons weren't tested, I saw what happened before the revamp hit. I have a theory as to why, and it involves respec tokens. But the months on end of redoing powers, making new ones, changing how powers worked in general. Weapons nor masteries got a revamp. They are the same.
  7. OhSicks Well-Known Player

Wouldn't a DoT require some Might to perform well at higher CR? I understand what you are saying here, but in my head I was envisioning a WE being limited to weapons for damage and staying away from any power for damage as that would not be a true WE, but a hybrid? In a perfect world (i.e. not what is setup in DCUO currently) I would want my WE to not use powers at all, his weapon damage would increase above the norm due to his innate physical ability. If he did have power abilities, they would come in the form of an increased natural armor to reduce damage intake due to melee combat and spells and abilities that would increase his weapon's damage (i.e. a weapons expert would have abilities that would enhance his weapon/weapon skill.) Aside from defense and melee abilities, personal healing abilities would fit a WE.
  8. ThePhilosophy Loyal Player

You're definitely right. It's situational, as im constantly switching my loadout.

If i blind Q into an alert with no heal.... I'm putting 2 shields on. If i happen to have an experienced healer, robot sidekick, ice devil, and a DoT.

If i have no supercharge yet, ill add another dot until the next boss fight etc.
    • Like x 1
  9. stärnbock Devoted Player

i think that, if you look at all the pro and contras of the playstyles, then superpowered is by far the most convenient,
    obviously... and after a while, i guess ppl just gave up other playstyles because there is no fair competition possible.
    super powered grants you everything: more might, more power, faster regeneration, allmost no need for weapon use...
    why would you choose a complicated, underperforming playstyles that also needs to have more SP spend than the other?

only mavericks would do that!
  10. stärnbock Devoted Player

well, it actually was a part from begin with... only that one had the incredible idea that weapon dammage should be balanced accordingly to how long the animation of each hit would take. needless to say: this was leading to problems with clipping big time.
    the revamp was concentrated on super powers and weapons didn't received much attention till the revamp got rushed out early.
  11. stärnbock Devoted Player

right... and trust me: i know that feeling ^^
  12. stärnbock Devoted Player

i guess... i would say:
    1.) scratch the 10% might buff for hybrid and super powered
    2.) seperate might and power and fuse power with vitalization
    3.) give WE imunity from CC effects, similar to movement skills
    makes playstyle even?
  13. stärnbock Devoted Player

basicly, all powers can go WE. even combo powers can do it, no sweat ^^ only that some powers lack in shields and others maybe in heals, wich are both very helpfull for survival in melee situations... i guess shields are a bit more usefull than heals, not sure though...
    but every power has a weapon buff and they are all as strong as the others. take a look at iconics: robo, HL shield, neo venom boost:
    they all can be a help for WE, especially neo venom boost is one of the only SC that go well with it. and welcome to the club ^^
  14. L T Devoted Player

Nope.
  15. Black Prime OG Devoted Player

Well, maybe you should. :)

Bow into smoke bomb, not even full prec, can crit from 40k and higher. There are no other weapons that can do this. So stop.
  16. L T Devoted Player

Right because I forget the big crit matters much more than your average damage out. Nevermind then.
    • Like x 1
  17. Celestial Powers Committed Player

That's irrelevant, if you've been paying attention to what Fatal has said you'd understand that the main reason why PFTT is the best type of DPS right now is due to the Power Regeneration that comes with it, nothing compares in the other focuses against Superpower because of it. It's completely OP and because of how stupid the power stat was handled it's basically a requirement for most roles in the game.

You can't do anything without power in this game so when one ability costs (300) a quarter of your bar there's no way in hell you can sacrifice the power advantages you get from the superpower focus in comparison to whatever hybrid or WE gives you if you intend to use abilities.

The devs made a bunch of mistakes and rushed them out without addressing them before the revamp touched live, this was one of them that we pointed out, another questioning why only power got added with the might stat.

Basically; to babysit the AM population, because call it how you want PFTT is essentially AMs except you can use whatever abilities you want and there is no "big damage" at the end, you still regenerate power at an unfair rate to where trolls aren't really necessary (AMs), most powersets still go 12345 with weapon taps irrelevant because my 3 into 4 will do more damage than the weapon combo and the time to set it up (AMs), Power Interactions are largely irrelevant again (AMs)

The list can go on and on but in the end these changes screwed over support roles the most, trolls are on the verge of extinction and while good healers can manage their power bars most of the time when stupidly designed elite content nearly one shots anyone without any warnings you're most definitely going to need to pop a cola for power where as before the revamp you could've managed your power perfectly without going empty in 5 seconds, and even if you did the troll could actually do something about it.
    • Like x 1
  18. Black Prime OG Devoted Player

Lol. Stick with tanking guides. Maybe this IS why weapons are so jacked? Hmmm?

I know thinks changed that last week, but the fact that no one was really messing with weapons timing, damage, and the masteries bothers me. They were left as is. No combos changed, no masteries changed. The only change was the last week.

Say what you want but weapons and their masteries are in more need of a revamp than PvP. The state they are in, we'd all be using bow in PvP as well.
    • Like x 1
  19. stärnbock Devoted Player

well, it is true that the weapon choice is the most important aspect for WE...
    and i would agree that each weapon might be flawed in some way of many.
    if a weapon excells in one attack wich is superior to everything else it has,
    then this leads to the point where you get forced to repeat it allmost exclussively.

that was also one of the main issues i had with WM, when it came out:
    we were all basicly spamming explossive shots clipped with powers...
    or shuriken storms, if you were troll or healer... only tanks had options,
    because they (being dammage sponges) are rather on the receiving side...

weapon masteries didn't help weapons to be more fun to play with.
    they made players repeat the fastest and strongest WM over and over and over.
    and every other weapon attack or combo was useless all of a sudden.
    gone were the times you could tap, tap, tap your combo to fool your target,
    only to end your combo with a counter attack based on how it reacts to your taps.

well, not sure about the overall balance of weapons and theyr masteries.
    lets try to count all the things wich are important to how good a weapon is:

1.) dammage: how high are the numbers you can see on your targets (deceiving)
    2.) speed: how fast does it hit, how fast can you raise counter, how fast are the WM's
    3.) range: has the weapon good options for both melee and long distance attacks?
    4.) single or multiple targets: because you may want to punch ultraman realy hard in the new face of superman, wich looks ugly...
    5.) combos: some have multiple hold choices (just a few can add a hold after a lunge)
    6.) clipping: even though WE are forced to do WM's, clipping is still an important tactic...
    7.) power regeneration: because we dont have much, but need power (and full bars)
    8.) WM's: goes with all of the above except no7. a weapon is only as good as its WM's!
    9.) if you can afford it, you may want to have multiple armories for different weapons
    10.) gameplay: you may like to use a weapon or not. you may like the WM's or not.

both the weapon and masteries may fit to your characters or not. devs may think:
    "all players appearantly love bows, either itself or as WM, because they all use bows!"
    well, it is not that many players use weapons anyways, so they may not even notice it.
    the massive numbers of the bow and everything including it, might be a problem for itself:
    immagine DC comics: if a character is using a weapon, it is allways some kind of bow... lame!

it could be a symptom or an amplyfier, yet sure a part of the problem for WE in general...
    • Like x 1
  20. stärnbock Devoted Player

i agree on everything else you said, except that i think that the point you quoted is in fact a valid one and part of the problem:
    the might bonus is just an unnecesary topping on the obvious superiocity of the playstyle stat, yet: not completely irrelevant.
    it gives an advantage on an advantage on an advantage and all advantages stack and enforce themselves, making it unreachable.

PFTT being as boring as AM's (not playing combo powers), is supported and made playing with weapons suboptimal.
    i think the playstyle choices were rushed, they were supposed to help players who wanted to play with "niche playstyles",
    niche playstyles wich the devs imagined on the far left or far right of the spectrum wich would be played by just a few,
    and i think those playstyle stats would have been a good idea, if they only would do what i think they were made for:
    making it possible to completely ignore either weapons or super power attacks, no matter why you even want that...

of course, there should be a high compensation price to pay for both WE and super powered playstyles.
    just that players were not willing to accept it! PFTT would have been only possible if compensating at first:
    players would have to spend theyr SP's into power first (before might) and mod allways with power included.
    well, the complaints made devs react by fusing might and power into one stat and by the playstyle stat bonus.
    and now, there is no compensation to pay for left, if playing AM2.0 and even worse: it is the best option by far ^^'