Buying styles on alts with replays

Discussion in 'Gotham City (General Gameplay)' started by Curse Bringer, Jul 6, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Curse Bringer Most Wanted

exactly, the main thing I've always tried to express with this is you would only be able to unlock the styles you own.
    • Like x 1
  2. TKMcClone Steadfast Player

I wish the Devs would comment on this excellent idea for everyone.
    • Like x 2
  3. BigBadDogIV Committed Player

bump
    • Like x 1
  4. Capt Coolade Active Player

devs the community want this can u please comment
  5. Zneeak Devoted Player

I'm still not a fan of an idea like this. Skillpoints were one thing, but even before GU47 there was a minimal percentage of higher leveled players going back to lower tiers and the ones that did, did it mainly for styles they need. With GU47 now in place, going back to grind for styles is basically the only reason to go back at all. So no, I don't think it would be a great idea because of that.

We need something to grind for no matter how much we hate it. If everything had a shortcut to it in form of a pricetag, this game would become so mindnumbingly easy and boring to the point that it would actually destroy the game. If you already are one of those people waving the "Game is already destroyed"-flag, shortcut-features like this will truly show you how to destroy a game over time.

What the developers need to do is to hurry up and implement the GU47-Loot system into all the previous tiers. It would really help when grinding those old style-pieces you still need in order to get that style-feat you have been trying to get for a year or two, or just that iconic rare-piece style from an old raid or alert that you really would love to have.
  6. TKMcClone Steadfast Player

But the point is - some players just won't go back, period.
    If I couldn't unlock skill points with from my main - I would just have one toon in end-game not 4, so I would play less.
    If I can't unlock styles from my main - my 3 other toons will use styles the acquire in end game.

Not having an account bound style vendor or skill points doesn't make me 'go back to old content'.
    It does however, get me to open my wallet.
    • Like x 1
  7. Zneeak Devoted Player

The real point is though, if we're going to put our lazy, shortcut-wallet goggles on about everything - Where will it stop?
    Some things has to remain a pain in the.... to get, to keep us grinding for it. Fixing the loot table to be more reasonable will make people more determined to revisit old content and make it a little more crowded again, putting a pricetag on missing pieces on peoples alts will do the opposite. It's a nice, selfish, personal benefit if implemented but I tend to try and think past that.

EDIT: Let's not forget about the existing rare-vendor that actually lets you buy certain rare-gear styles for marks.
    Poor loot tables in older content aside, I think we have enough options to get hold of our styles if we want them bad enough. An MMO is supposed to be grindy, too many pricetag-shortcuts WILL make a game like this incredibly boring over time.
  8. TKMcClone Steadfast Player

This is fair point and I would gladly use Vendor 22 rather than grinding Nexus and Dox with a for Time Traveler styles, when the toon already has the feat purchased. Grinding should be for stats and cash only and I have no issue with aesthetics being purchased.
  9. Zneeak Devoted Player

Grinding should be for everything that awakens interest, for many of us that includes styles. I am sad that there are no longer any iconic rare-styles dropping in new content. Content such as alerts would have way more longevity if they kept the iconic-drop concept in there, because people are still grinding older alerts to get the Kick me-sign, CC hood & energy battery styles etc.

What good is the content for if we should just put a prize-tag on the interesting/needed/wanted drops, so that the only thing left is to give the crooked eye at GU47 and complain about no marks dropping in the lower content making it "irrelevant"?

I think that we have enough shortcuts, as far as I am concerned about purchasing aesthetics, they should put some effort into some new style-items in the marketplace instead. The MP of all needs some new relevancy.
    • Like x 1
  10. TITAN ephemeral Loyal Player

Yes...and about Fing time too...
  11. TKMcClone Steadfast Player

Any purchased style would need to be earned on at least one toon in the account already - that is enough grind for one person.

Iconic styles are available in the broker which is even less grindy than having to earn them once....
    I have tried to earn those ultra rare iconic styles in the past and hated the futility of it. Repeating content over and over is just not just not fun - and this comes from a guy running the DLC14 solo, duo and alert on 4 toons everyday and enjoying it. But, when I am done. I want to be done - I've earned the right to be done.

That said, the Batman GCPD head piece would have made a great choice for an Iconic Style drop...
  12. KHALONofOGUN 10000 Post Club

Love that...and I look forward to the Devs making this happen...
    [IMG]
    • Like x 3
  13. Zneeak Devoted Player

Why do people always insist on that just because they "did the grind" on one toon, all of their future alts to come is worthy of every trophy? This is what I am opposed to, it shouldn't work like that. It's an MMO, it's built around grinding and doing something over and over in many situations, that's the TYPE of game it is.

You've earned te right to be done on whatever toon you are done with. You never earned the right to be done on a toon you just started. The option to buy skillpoints on your alts is enough of a shortcut as it is, grinding out styles that doesn't do your toon anything more than looking good, well, go get them. You should know where they drop if you've done it once before.
  14. BigBadDogIV Committed Player

Let me be clear about something. If they are having to rely on stuff like this to keep us from quitting the game then they would be no better then Destiny and wouldn't deserve our play time and money to begin with. However this is DCUO and not Destiny and there are actually meaningful things to grind for other then the same styles over and over.

In-case you are not aware of what i'm talking about please watch this video or more specifically start at 6:17 if you want to cut straight to the relevant part.
  15. TKMcClone Steadfast Player

That's just your version of an MMO.
    I want experience multiple power sets and all roles in new end game content and I can't do that if I need to spend the same amount of time on each toon.
    You loose the debate the second you start comparing DCUO to 'other MMOs'. This game is it's own thing, in fact I would argue it's a first in an new genre. The grind is appropriate for a F2P console MMO...IMO
    • Like x 1
  16. Zneeak Devoted Player

It is not MY version of an MMO, it's basically every MMO in history in many aspects, with DCUO being one of those MMO's that's incredibly easy compared to a bunch of other MMO's whose grind-level would make the casual DCUO-Player to cry, break and have to visit a rehab-center.

If YOU want to have multiple toons, that's on YOU. If you want every toon to be on the absolute top and have everything, you should know the grind needed for it and stop expecting it to be your right to have. Grinding is needed for the game to keep its relevancy. Having all the styles on all your toons isn't needed, it's a choice you make.

I am sorry, but I have seen far too many "gimme gimme"-threads to be able to agree about this. When you can see "Allow us to skip to level 30"-threads on the forums, you know it's gone too far. By the way, telling someone they "lost the debate" just proves how desperate you are to win the argument. We are just two people with different opinions, it's that easy.
  17. Lady Fayte New Player

I am generally against a style being unlocked account wide if you gained access to it on one character. (Trust me, my alts keep getting the styles I need for my main's feats. So I understand the desire.) However I find I like this particular method of sharing styles among your characters.

I would also like to know if the Devs would ever consider it at the very least.
  18. xoHLxDPSox Steadfast Player

This should happen... That is all. :cool:
  19. TKMcClone Steadfast Player

But that is entirely my point... "DCUO being one of those MMO's that's incredibly easy compared to a bunch of other MMO's whose grind-level would make the casual DCUO-Player to cry, break and have to visit a rehab-center." is 100% accurate in my case. But, I would not spend money on 'those other MMOs' - I would avoid them - because of the grind and time commitments involved.

You're holding 'other MMOs' up on some pedestal that they don't deserve and trying to lessen the value of DCUO because it's easier or not as hardcore. What about having fun rather that staking ones ego is the value of time spent playing? That's what I choose to to do and why I don't play other MMOs. I don't care about other MMOs.

Let's not forget that if 'purchasing the grind' is a problem for you - the damage was already done with 'Purchasing Skill points from your account'...
    In terms of progress, styles are meaningless. I won't grind for them, but if Daybreak wants a little extra cash, I'll certainly open my wallet to buy a few. If 'how my toon looks' is an issue other players - that's their problem.
    • Like x 2
  20. BigBadDogIV Committed Player

I'm sorry but this really makes it sound like your only against this idea because it fits in your blanket definition of making something in the game more convenient or easier then it was before. The specific idea in this thread doesn't really seem to matter much too you. You seem to only be against it on Principle. The Principle being that you are against any and all changes that are made for the sake of convenience regardless of how rationale or positive the specific change may be.

And while i understand that like in the example you mentioned some of them are straight bad and unreasonable. Taking Blanket approaches to anything in life more often then not lead to unfavorable outcomes. I understand how easy it is to just blanket approach subjects and topics but i also understand the need to take everything on a case by case basis.

Maybe I'm wrong on this but i can't help but feel this might be the underlying core of your argument against this.
    • Like x 3
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.