Battle Roles

Discussion in 'Gotham City (General Gameplay)' started by lordexecution365, Jun 12, 2018.

1. lordexecution365 Loyal Player

From my experience when trolling higher stat players maybe not will have to see, but running with more seasoned players I will soon find out.

In alerts I see some ask all to switch.

I got rid of my DPS gear and I feel that this will work better, especially since I usually finish right below the 3rd DPS or tank.

The people I run with are highly competitive as well even with tanks, heals, and trolls.

I can't keep coming in behind the tank, LMAO, it's embarrassing.
  2. Proxystar #Perception

I was actually kidding, I don't battle role because I don't believe in it.

I don't stop others from trying it until it detrimentally effects the group.

I am a purist and believe people should play the role they're designated to play to the best of their ability.

I don't believe this is ever done by splitting your support focus to dps.

My belief also goes for dps players so if you're going to be doing damage be adequate at it, you don't have to be a superstar but at the same time it's not acceptable to be a carry, so if you're doing 5mil damage to everyone else's 10mil then there's a problem.

A support player should also never feel like they have to battle role to compensate for damage loss because the raid group is carrying a ****** dps or multiple ****** dps.

If we approach content like this and complete then sure we're getting it done, but we're continuing to exacerbate ongoing problematic playing because the ****** dps don't get better they just continue to be **** because we're hiding their inadequacies through mitigating it with battle support.

I equally think if you're not giving the group power, dying etc, not healing enough because you are battle supporting then you've lost focus of your task and you need to tone it back.

I don't expect everyone will agree with my approach, but this is my opinion, in my view we all have the responsibility of having a task within the group and that task shouldn't be to do a half in half, just my personal view ;)

Also the reason people don't like you battle rolling in alerts is because there's a roleless buff, so the moment you go troller, healer whatever it will remove the buff and because you're a compromised support the roleless buff might have just been stronger, therefore you're actually negatively impacting the group, more so than just staying damage.
    • Like x 1
  3. lordexecution365 Loyal Player

Hmm, that is just it though, isn't it.

This is the way you see it.

You are not wrong to be you and if by performing your role means spamming heals, or throwing a power or two to help out others that don't want to help themselves that is fine too.

Plenty of trolls, healers, and tanks in the game that play that way.

It stops nothing either way.

The passion that most have for the status quo is cool I don't knock it.

But I do know that a player skill will hinder them far more than an opinion.

My opinion is everyone should carry their own weight, I have always despise the turtle tank, heals who did no damage and trolls that hit the PoT then dump, dump, dump then dump.

Again I sympathize with everyone who see that people lack the skill to actually be masters of their craft.
  4. Proxystar #Perception

Are you mastering your craft or are you trying to be the jack of both trades, theres a difference.

I for one have seen too many hack and slash idiots go out there and crap up a raid to epic proportions in the name of battle rolling.

I have also seen the odd good one but not enough too sway my opinion and therefore my opinion is framed in the manner it is.

Again I'm not going to say it isn't possible but what I will say is I think its something that should be reserved for the more skilled players that have more skill points to play with and know how to play both their support role and dps in a pure sense.

When you have this experience you'll have the wisdom to know when what you're doing starts to detrimentally impact on the group.

I believe any player who does battle role should have pure armories set up to always fall back on should the dynamics simply not be working. ;)
  5. spack2k Steadfast Player

no1 likes battle troll especially with some long wm combos who will delay the power in for the group since community likes to run with solo troll but it may be no problem if u run solo content or open world.
  6. lordexecution365 Loyal Player

LoL,

I already said I have 4 armories, this build would be for 1 of them.

My friends always say that the forums are full of the inexperienced and those who don't know what they are doing.

Don't prove them right.
  7. lordexecution365 Loyal Player

No1 likes support roles in alerts and duo's either I'd suggest stepping up your game and do you.

It almost sounds like you have a problem with the skill of players that can do both or all facets of the role.
  8. StillDeathern Dedicated Player

+1

It works great, damage numbers are pretty decent. Go mental for the win, invisibility will allow multiple super charge options, so you can have group shield, or mass terror as desired.
    • Like x 1
  9. spack2k Steadfast Player

I have experienced the skill of those players in elite content, no1 likes the true either.
  10. Original Cryo boy Committed Player

This guy is obviously more skilled than everyone else. Step up or step out plebs. If you disagree with him you are too scared to break the status quo and lack the skill to do so. Love the superiority complex on this one. Hopefully getting kicked a bunch of times doesnt diminish it.
  11. Black Prime OG Devoted Player

This is very true. I've been away a bit, so I forget the names of some things. A PffT munitions or quantum troll using the SC artifact and the one that works with debuffs is amazing. A buddy was running almost the same LO as his dps, just with recharge thrown in from time to time for power hungry healers. mazash is who I would talk to about the quantum LO. There's a thread somewhere on both of these.

The only draw back, we put a lot. Players get very ******** when the troll can keep up power and out damage you in alerts. That is, if we could even get people to que up with a troll. Most don't like it. We ran as a battle tank and troll. Basically just had to que and get what we would get.
    • Like x 1
  12. StillDeathern Dedicated Player

This ^^^

The community moans about any role in alerts other than DPS in alerts because of the role less buff, we dont need a troll, healer or tank they almost always say.

Then the community will blame the battle support player regardless if anything goes wrong in the instance, fingers will always be pointed at the battle support player, its always their fault, no matter what. Drink a cola? Really? Hell no I would rather die, you had better heal me...

If you can actually make it past the first two hurtles, playing battle support is pretty fun, especially for those that have been around since the game went FTP, it gives an additional option for those that are tired of DPS, or SUPPORT only playing... variety is the spice of life, sometimes players want to mix it up, try something different...

I wish the community wasn't so uptight, ridged, and would be more receptive to those that can put out better damage number in battle stance, while still performing the primary responsibility of performing their role as a battle player.

The numbers may be few and far between, but some players can do it and do it well.
    • Like x 3
  13. lordexecution365 Loyal Player

It is a game. If you get kicked a lot maybe you need to adjust your playstyle.

I got on last night and tried the LO that was suggested to me changed 1 of my armories ran a solo to see how it would perform.

Not bad, it seemed OK.

To answer this comment, I have alts that I don't run because I don't like being a hindrance to teams.

I have my standards as well but I don't hold you or anyone else to my standards.

If you can't do for yourself in content then you great for you.

I once knew a dps that put in a healer power so that we could run through Arkham asylum, it was a small heal but it worked.

Not sure how he did it in dps stance because I don't DPS.

That is why I say step up.

Not personal but definitely misunderstood.
  14. WilderMidnight Steadfast Player

meh.

i've only seen a handful of legit effective "battle support". in the old days players used to pull it off by leaning on whatever random weapon exploit was going on at the time, usually dual pistols, rifle, dual wild and one handed. with the way things are set up now its easiest for a tank a they don't have any critical/magnatudes to spec into the way healers and trolls do. they can spec into the dps stats after they max out their might/power.

i've experimented some since the revamp. i have around 100 surplus sps after maxxing out my weapon, movement, crit power, crit mag and might/power. If I pump it all into vitalization I have very little issues keeping a group powered up and any and all enemies completely debuffed at all times.

When I spec those extra skill points into the dps stuff instead of extra vitalization the group ends up hungry for more power, i find i run out of power faster and have to forego debuffing (which helps build my sc thanks to my artifact) and I really don't do that much extra damage to say I made a difference. Trying to maximize my damage in troll role. Speccing into the dps stuff and adjusting my loadout to include heavier damaging powers (which for mental atm is a cruel joke) its even worse.

if you can pull it off go for it but don't be surprised at your results (i.e. upsetting the group youre in). i would suggest staying in groups with players you know and who know what youre trying to do. Personally I would rather everyone focus on their roles. Skill and talent in this game are highly over exaggerated and memories tend to confuse facts even further. Most players struggle to play a support role. this makes it worse.
  15. Balistical Ice Loyal Player

I see your point. And I dont disagree with you.

But I do however have a slight (slight) disagreement/preference. I do enjoy battle rolls because its a challenge for me. Its unique and its something special to be known for if you're good at it. Its honestly fun for me. But everybody is different. The creativity is there. At least in my eyes.

- Im also good at what I do when I battle tank. I mostly battle tank in things like PanE, and all the regular raids. Also in alerts if we have no healer. And its funny sometimes because I did PanE the other day while battle tanking, and was 1st on the leaderboard by 2m. Group chat was steady with questions lol
    • Like x 1
  16. Balistical Ice Loyal Player

As a Light Battle troll, I can say its very effective. I have all up to date generator mods. All effective up to date gear mods, and a little over 340sp. I use the dual wield into bow flurry weapon mastery. Im specced Hybrid with all troll criticals maxed, 205sp in Vitalization with the rest in precision. I have the Venom Wrist Dispensor artifact and the Omegahedron artifact both at 100. I use the weapon buff for Light (hence the Venom artifact.)

Now because I like to dps, and my Battle troll is only there for fun, my battle troll generator mods arent really useful offense wise. I have Might in Reds. Power in Blues. And Vitalization in Yellows.

My gear mods are-

Red- Vitalization and Precision
    Blue- Vitalization and Health
    Yellow- Vitalization and Power

My loadout is Recharge, Inspiration, Group Shielding, Light Blast, Light Weight Strike, and Hard Light Shield.

The Precision in my gear mods makes up for my sp in Precision until I can get more precision from my sp.

Hopefully this helps. Feel free to ask questions if need be
    • Like x 1
  17. Proxystar #Perception

I wasn't saying you didn't, I was stating my personal opinion in relation to battle roles in general, because this is a discussion thread about it. My comments were not specific to you, they were guided towards anyone that might choose to engage in doing a battle role load out and not have appropriate armories in place.

Not everything someone says is a personal attack towards you.

My views are formed through experience rather than inexperience and not everyone is going to have the same opinion in terms of this topic, there's no need to make it unnecessarily personal my friend ;)
  18. Proxystar #Perception

I say this not because I'm trying to diminish your abilities, but because I personally believe it to be true.

But given the pure compromise in DPS stats if you were beating "pure dps" on the scoreboard in a "hybrid state" it indicates one or two things to me.

(a) something is broken that you might be using to do damage. I am firmly of the opinion for example that the Venom Wrist Dispenser for example is causing extreme imbalance in conjunction with short WM combos such as Duel Wield to Bow Flurry

(b) The other pure DPS in your run are complete and utter crap.

This is simply because their stats are derived around doing damage, where as yours are not and couldn't be otherwise you'd no longer be capable of tanking properly.

There is no statistical reason a battle player should ever beat a competent pure player in terms of their ability to carry out their primary task.
  19. Balistical Ice Loyal Player

Full precision spec.

Stat point wise, maxed out Precision, the rest in health.
    Precision Atlantean Gen Mods
    Precision + support stat for equipment mods
    Dps tactical mods except for weapon (blast adaptor)
    Venom Wrist plays a huge part as I smokebomb everything lol

Put all that together and its pretty godly. Even in a support role.

And it was a pretty good group actually. No wipes. Smooth run. Competent dps. Just not as competent as I was :D

Edit- I was also tanking to my fullest extent and doing a great job at it. Its possible. You just need the right set up
  20. StillDeathern Dedicated Player

(C) PERHAPS THE PLAYER IS JUST THAT GOOD.

For reference, I have seen some great DPS's put up astonishing numbers regardless of what power they play with (especially pre-revamp). Some players are just OP, and that much damn better than the rest, no matter what they play with, or how you try and keep them down, they still rise to the top of the scoreboard.

No. I am not one of those, I have never cared to master damage in that regard primarily focusing instead on support roles, but I have played with a few DPS who are...My philosophy has always been as long as we make it through the instance, all is good. I don't care if a player trolls, heals, tanks, or assumes battle role, as long as we survive and make it through, I could care less who does what.

I always find it ironic that other players try and dictate the way someone is playing. Who cares, you do you, I do me and we all get through the content.