Artifact Slots. We need More.

Discussion in 'Gotham City (General Gameplay)' started by Sammy, Apr 2, 2022.

1. xxHELLSTROKExx Loyal Player

Right?? My 3 EoG healing life would be so much easier if I didn’t have to lose phr to scrap. Having both, all set. Then having clarion as my 4th on solo heal armory would just be perfect.
    • Like x 1
  2. DeitySupreme Steadfast Player

You think thats bad? My electric prec will love using soul cloak without caring that the art gives no prec stats lol
    • Like x 5
  3. Pop a Trinket dey sweatin Dedicated Player

I like the 4th slot idea...I think it would open up the game to different play styles in top level content.

The thing I liked about DC when I first started playing years ago was that it truly felt like there was no fotm. Felt like you could be any power in top level content. I think a fourth slot 'could' help with balance and potentially create more variety and allow people to find out how to maximize their preferred playstyle.

Plus it's also good for the game economically to have more people maxing out arts for 4 slots.
    • Like x 1
  4. appocolyps Committed Player

I strongly suggest you look at locking out Artifact swapping whilst considering a 4th slot, i for example as a buff troll have 100% uptime with 6 artifacts in the majority of situations, its kind of out of control for the end game players in the know.
    • Like x 5
  5. Stanktonia Dedicated Player

This literally has to be a troll post
    • Like x 6
  6. Proxystar #Perception

It just needs to be slowed down, not locked out. We can technically still change allies mid battle, its just cumbersome, we can technically augments mid battle, its just cumbersome, all they have to do is make it somewhat cumbersome, as you seemingly don't have a problem with the others being able to do so, you have a problem with the freedom and speed of it, but we had this discussion just the other day.

It doesn't need to be entirely locked down, there's no need to solve the problem with a sledgehammer and Charon I'd strongly encourage you not to do so.
  7. Time Warped Level 30

I think a 4th slot wouldn't be bad if it only gives you the benefits of the arti without the stats. We already have arti tac swap, which was clearly stated is not going to be removed. Making a 4th slot that gives you the effects of the Artifact only would actually help those other servers that can't swap it mid fight. Or we could get rid of Artifact swap and call it a day if a 4th slot is such a bad idea.
  8. NeoSelkie Active Player

One way this could be done alongside not giving stats would be limiting that fourth slot to certain artifacts that are more or less just utility.
    Artifacts like omegahedron, lazarus, dead kings scepter(with orbital assistance disabled), philosopher's stone.

Dont really care either way on whether swapping would be disabled or not, but if it was disabled or time gated this could also promote having group members bring different utility artifacts into content.
  9. FlawlessTime Dedicated Player

I like the idea of just the passives and locking out tac swapping as long as it's done carefully and with much care and attention because something like this I'm sure the devs is aware of. IF such a thing would happen obviously everything would have to account for it like how we went from one slot to two and three etc.
  10. appocolyps Committed Player

On Mar 19 22 my exact response was that perhaps a 4th slot without any stat increase could be implemented, if this was to happen artifact locking MUST be put in place as it would change nothing, infact it would make it worse.

If you are being given a 4th slot of passives there is absolutely no need to be swapping in additional advantages, its nothing more than greed to want more.

IMO its greed to want more than the 3 we currently have, i do it because i can and because its stupid not to when so many around me do also.
    • Like x 1
  11. Proxystar #Perception

utilizing what I've paid for or put effort in to leveling is now considered "greed"? :confused:

That's the thing with introducing more slots and its why it was talked about at the time, even by Mepps, where exactly does it stop when you introduce more slots.

It won't stop at 4, it didn't stop at 2, it hasn't stopped at 3, it simply won't stop, there will always be more artifacts that people want to equip and benefit from and there will always be a number of artifacts that benefit from circumstantial tac swapping and that number is greater than 4 and you know it, to pass off that desire to use those as "greed" because a minority of you want to be super sweaty about it and take it to the extreme is just inane.

If you want to restrict tac swapping, fine, but you can restrict it without destroying it, if you're going to lock out artifacts, then you lock out allies and augments at the same time, anything short of that is a hypocritical double standard.

Also it would change if you created a fourth slot but put artifacts in to a tab like allies, or better yet a separate tab like augments, it would make changing them utterly cumbersome but not entirely impossible, the sweaty players would simply stop doing it to the extent you've highlighted but would retain a degree of loose casual swapping in situations that might warrant it.
    • Like x 1
  12. appocolyps Committed Player

Yes it is greed, the majority of the arguments against the lockout of Arti tac swapping was regarding the desire to be able to use more of the Arti's they had spent so much money on, giving us a 4th slot minus the stats (because it would be too strong for the balance of the game, balance being the primary focus here) is giving them people what they wanted, they get their extra slot, you cant "have your cake and eat it" that would be outrageous.

To get your 4th slot and still be able to tac swap, inadvertently you are pushing past the limits of what the dev's would have intended. Limits and parameters are the fundamental basis to any form of balance in any walk of life, without these limitations balance cannot be controlled. The same applies for Arti tac swapping, allowing free reign to swap without limitations is breaking the parameter set out by the dev's, causing an imbalance in performance, the fact that the efficiency is so heavily dependant on hardware makes it even more inappropriate.

To touch on your final statement, this is a good idea, it would in essence kill off the ability to instantly swap and still give people the opportunity to adapt if really needed and the sacrifice needed in order to swap would be much more potent, I'm still not 100% in agreement with this idea as I'm of the old fashioned sentiment that you should pick what you use to fight and be locked into that for everything i.e. trinkets, weapons etc, creating a much more pre-emptive tactical approach to instances, I also understand this has never been the way from the outset and wouldn't expect that to change just because "I would prefer that".

Edit: The reality of implementing an new UI for Arti's is, in foresight a much bigger and more demanding job than simply locking the Arti slot whilst in combat. This could be in a hotfix tomorrow in reality, leaving our busy dev's to concentrate on much more interesting subjects XDDD.
    • Like x 3
  13. ¬Eternal Level 30

But when are skill points going to get some love? It seems like artifacts have taken over priority an yet people wonder why they need a 4th slot
    • Like x 1
  14. Proxystar #Perception

The reality is people put a lot of time and money in to artifacts that at times only provide very transient and circumstantial benefit, I think restricting the ability to swap things while in battle, in a fashion that restricts it entirely over penalizes players that have put in more effort.

I think people also need to be rewarded for the effort they've put in and having numerous artifacts at your disposal is an example of that. I don't think its "greed" to want to use what you've built, I think that's a bad word and I think it unnecessarily gaslights the situation, I don't begrudge you for having a strong view in opposition of tac swapping leading to your use of that word, I just don't think its appropriate to consider the person greedy for using what they've built.

I accept that there is a balance issue here that you believe needs to be addressed and at the extreme ends perhaps there is, but I think a compromise in this situations, where one is available, is always better, then we can all have a piece of cake ;)

The system has been like this since its introduction so I think it has to be appreciated that people are playing to the system, changing it too much does stand to disenfranchise annoy a large number of players, it'll even impact the trust they have in the artifact system moving forward, especially if you're wanting them to invest money in to it, that's why nerfing artifacts post release is such a difficult task, they're pay2win and people are paying2win.

I understand what you're saying about "being locked in before a fight and accepting what you've locked in" there's a part of me that agrees with you, but at the same time, there's also a part of me that embraces armories, which allow the opposite, we can also manually change things up if we go down and are out of combat for example, we've always been able to access our armories, technically we can access augments and allies, I think allowing that access is important, it just has to be restricted enough to mean if someone is going to change something up, they have to really need it and it's not going to be easy if they want to make the change, but it remains technically possible nonetheless.

There have been times for example I have changed up an ally for example, not easily done, but can still be done, but it's certainly not going to "exploited" in the same way some of the top end players are doing so.

That's the ability I'm wanting to protect, I'm not trying to protect your ability to have 6 artifacts effects up at once, to be clear.
  15. appocolyps Committed Player

Fully agreed, however those that have committed time and money will still receive the benefit of having the artifact's to use and swap as originally intended via armoires and in "preparation" for battle, it gives those that have made this investment options others will not have, that is the benefit that was intended, as stated by Mepp's, as on the fly swaps were not originally intended. Irrelevant if its a small minority and only being used at extreme ends or not, in the ideology of (and we come back to the magic word) balance it is required in order to limit abuse.

I fully appreciate the system has been like this since induction however, a tool as powerful as artifact's were not part of the equation during induction.

In regards to your "people are currently paying2win", yes they are and we should be doing everything we can as a community to reduce that factor, i have spent money on artifact's and I would happily see this abuse nullified.

Again your idea on the new UI is great, will the dev's have the time and resources to introduce it, highly unlikely, lets just lock out artifact slots and be done with it, easy fix.
    • Like x 1
  16. Proxystar #Perception

That wasn't exactly what Mepps said, but I don't think we need to trawl back through that.

No cheap nasty fixes should never be endorsed or accepted because of limited resources, it's one thing for a development team to do so because they actually have resource issues, it's another for us as players to say "do a cheap nasty fix" I cheap nasty fix isn't a fix.

No, if they're going to go through the effort of tweaking artifacts, balancing artifacts, adding a fourth slot and leaving that on test server long enough to ensure there's no balance issues, which is what they've said they'll do, if at all, it should be noted, then I'm pretty sure there's enough time to properly develop the system :)
  17. appocolyps Committed Player

He clearly says here the swapping of artifact's on the fly was not intended. Its therefore abuse of it's orginal intention.

It fixes the abuse, its not "cheap and nasty" that's just a diminishing tactic on your behalf, if it solves the issue easily, implement it, the dev's really don't have time to be creating a new UI just to stop something that shouldn't be happening in the first place.
    • Like x 3
  18. EconoKnight XIII Legion

For something that allegedly makes little impact on the game, people get really upset when you mention a restriction of artifact tac swapping.

The passive 4th slot and restriction of artifact tac swapping would give everyone a chance to play DCUO’s long standing, dirty little “secret”. That is balance.
    • Like x 3
  19. zNot Loyal Player

Yep,some people clearly have no intention to get this game to a balanced state and i hope charon can sense that too.

Its disingenuous how people claim its a skill gap yet they abuse anything that has nothing to do with skill or thats not intented these „OP“ players need that hard hammer to crush all the little secrets they abuse and it has to happen for the sake of balancing purposes the minority of OP players that wants the gap to exist doesnt represent most of the endgame players its damaging the game for everyone else.
    • Like x 4
  20. TheLQ-DCUO Loyal Player

Except your missing something.

Perceived entitlement to a cheese or benefits that only PS5 and PC players can do doesn't solve any issues here. It will just make the game worse.

Define 'balance'. Everyone wanting and having everything at the expense of the functionality of the game, including powerset abilities and content isn't balance. It will offset any balance that is already there currently. But of course players championing this idea won't realise this until it is too late - *if* this update ever happened.
    • Like x 1