Armories Arrive in DCUO Next Week!

Discussion in 'Announcements' started by Captain Liberty, Jan 6, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jamie New Player

Now I understand where you are coming from. Thats why in my post that started all of this I mentioned that I fit into the 2nd group as well but I was willing to pay a little more for account bound armories. I spend money on this game as well and have no problem doing so if I feel it is worth the value. You can go an buy 15 armories 1 at a time and it doesn't bother me. It's your money, you decide what is and is not a good value for you.

What I have issues with are the people that are saying that if you are complaining about the price that means you cannot afford it. They are generally followed by some ignorant comment about needing to get finances in order or working harder or some other garbage. I have the money for a PS4 set aside for what ever I choose to do with it but I feel the PS4 is not worth it for me to purchase it yet. Since you know that I have at least $400 sitting around as disposable cash you know that I can afford $60 for armories. But just like the PS4, I have to personally feel that I am getting my monies worth. If you feel that you are when you buy some armories then more power to you. You and I clearly place different values on them and that is to be expected.
    • Like x 1
  2. Jamie New Player

This is a great question. Can we trade them with other players? I would be willing to buy a 15 pack and sell some to my leaguemates at $4 a piece.
    • Like x 1
  3. Black Dawn Steadfast Player

Hey, good discussion! ^.^
  4. Vulpis New Player

True, but somewhat missing the point. This, to be honest, is *actual* loyalty to the game. The people protesting here *want* the game to make money, and they want to have things put into the game that they *want* to spend money on (as opposed to things they feel forced to buy to not have a hamstrung game experience, but that's a whole other discussion).

What's being pointed out here in various ways and forms is, in the end, basic economics. If you price an item too high, you make very little money, because only a few people are interested in buying it (outside of those with poor financial sense and/or the fanatics who will buy whatever logo-branded item is presented to them no matter the price, proclaiming that they're 'loyal to the brand'.) Price it lower, and the sheer volume of sales will give you much more than you 'lose' from the drop in per-unit price. (Of course, you don't want to go too *low* either, or even the volume of sales won't make up for the price drop. There's a 'sweet spot' for this, which in this situation seems to be the $5 price point.)

To be honest...the Marketplace pricings have been rather ourtageous for a while now, but there's been enough of the more fanatic types that nothing much has been said about it before. This time, they've priced it so that even the types that buy anything and everything are going 'That's too much'. Who knows, maybe this is part of an ongoing test to see just *how* rediculously they can price things before even the most diehard go 'Whoa.' (personally, I *still* can't understand how the Lair skins got a pass--I mean, *each* texture pack costs the same as an entire DLC pack?).
    • Like x 3
  5. Oel Em Well-Known Player

I was expecting to buy 2 for $10, the 3rd purchase (4th armory) was only a possible purchase, but not one I was looking to make right away. so I was expecting to pay $10 upfront, maybe another $5 down the line. I still wouldnt pay $24 for 4 as I still think that is an inflated price. Glad I could clear all that up for you.
  6. ZEUSofGODS Dedicated Player

I really believe the biggest issue is everyone was marching at an assumed price point created by lack of knowledge and guessing... So now that we are all wrong everyone is in an uproar for this convenience item... I really do wish that the pricing was $5 each But $8 is only $3 more than the expectation... Which I don't believe is outrageous... I have seen this uproar many times on many announcements... We should all wait till the release and see what we REALLY paying for...
    • Like x 1
  7. TrueOlympus New Player

except that the people on test already know what they are paying for.

55+ pages and you are still arguing in favor of the original price?
    • Like x 1
  8. TrueOlympus New Player

The problem isn't that people assumed incorrectly. The problem is that anyone who looks in-depth at the situation knows that the prices brought forth are not even close to fair
    • Like x 2
  9. SethZoulMonEl 10000 Post Club

Sorry, "everyone" spent $30? I don't gamble (which is essentially how I see the plasmic aura possibility in a bundle), and I don't pay $8 for something that I, and many who have posted, feel is not worth $8. I am also unwilling to pay $40/$60 for something that is forcing me to buy more than I need for a fair price.
    • Like x 4
  10. ZEUSofGODS Dedicated Player

Everyone assumed a fair price was at $5.... It's only $3 more... But they gave an option of buying them at a discount when u buy in bulk... Seems fair... Unfair would have been $8 each regardless of how many u buy....
    • Like x 1
  11. Jamie New Player

I agree. At least we both were adding to the topic in a constructive matter while discussing a misunderstanding.
    • Like x 1
  12. TrueOlympus New Player

I have to pay $60 dollars for the best bang for my buck.

$60

That's the price of 6 DLC's

That's the price of a brand new next-gen and current gen game

That's the price of 2/3 of this whole game.

That's the price of 3 month legendary access

Hopefully, you now understand. If not, then I give up on you.
    • Like x 4
  13. SethZoulMonEl 10000 Post Club

Let me try to sum up a lot of the points why people feel $3 more seems unreasonable:
    • In most MMORPGs, the functionality provided by the armories is free. In a way, we are being generous by paying anything, but I (and others) support this game and its developers and do feel they deserve to get back what they put in and then some. The price needs to be fair, though.
    • Subscribers and premium players who put in more than $150 per year are already paying a lot of money for an unfinished game. The game is fun enough that we support it, but I think nearly everyone is aware of the problems this game has beyond most games.
      *By unfinished, I mean that the game has a lot of flaws, not that it is evolving in the sense of an MMORPG.
    • Loyal customers support this game by paying money because the fun and benefits of the game outweigh the drawbacks. By asking for more money for armories than customers feel they are worth, marketing is creating more drawbacks to possibly outweigh the benefits, so eventually the scales will flip and people will consider leaving. Some already have considered leaving or have left due to in-game issues and pricing.
    • In order to get a "good deal" we have to spend a lot of money; money that could go toward more important things, e.g. food, clothing, and other living expenses, or another game for the same price if we so chose.
    • Like x 4
  14. Jamie New Player

Let's look at this a different way, you expected the price of your tv to be $1,000. You go to the store to find out it is $1,600, 60% higher than what you expected. $3 in of itself is not much for most people but something costing 60% more than expected is a big deal.
    • Like x 3
  15. Remander Steadfast Player

You do realize that's 60% more than what most considered fair, don't you? When you say $3, it doesn't sound like much. It's more about relative value, than absolute price.

EDIT: LOL, Jamie beat me to it!
    • Like x 3
  16. ZEUSofGODS Dedicated Player

Prices on other items do not justify pricing created for another completely different item...

My rent is 4 xbox ones...
    Or 5 ps4s....

They are too expensive!!! See doesn't equate cost...

Value is what people are willing to pay... I'm willing to buy 15 at $4 a piece which is $1 cheaper than I expected... I feel the cost is reasonable... Maybe the issue is I shop at SAMs club and buy 12 cans of ravioli for $8 and u buy each at $1.25 and complain that they are too expensive...
    • Like x 1
  17. lukelucky Devoted Player

that's not what he is saying. say you have 3 toons you would need to spend $24 to get one build on each of the three toons. black dawns way you pay ten dollars and get one on each toon. ten verses 24 is clearly cheaper bud
    • Like x 1
  18. TrueOlympus New Player

What you said.... makes no sense to me. I give up on you.
  19. TrueOlympus New Player

the price should b kept at 8 if what you are saying were to come to pass...... not increased. the price is already too high.
  20. Zezimar Committed Player

Well played devs, well,I mean nice try tho.
    But we ain't gonna give you a single penny till you reduce the hilarious prices, trust me.
    • Like x 5
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.