Arena Weapon FoTM

Discussion in 'Battle of the Legends (PvP)' started by Eminence, Feb 18, 2016.

1. Soul Dedicated Player

The 70% reduction to Uppercut was excessive, it is by definition an "over nerf". ^^'

Part of the requests made was to revert that change, or have it reduced by a more reasonable %.
    • Like x 1
  2. KodyDerp Dedicated Player

I don't think the changes to HB was an overnerf. I think it's fine and should stay as is, my opinion.
  3. Brother Allen Loyal Player

Don't mind Kody, Mepps. Nothing to see here.

*Gags Kody and drags him off to drop off to Souls.*
    How the hell did you get out of your box to begin with? You know she doesn't like it when you leave without permission. She needs better locks apparently. Jeez. :p

All joking aside, 70% did seem a bit overkill to say the least. But it is what it is for now. Maybe it can get tweaked down the line.
    • Like x 4
  4. Grand Shaw Loyal Player

Uppercut is such a short single target combo anyway. I don't want it doing more, or even equal damage compared to a combo that takes longer to wind up.

We can't get hung up on weapons. It's been about a month since GU56 and we still haven't seen support roles get touched yet.
  5. Soul Dedicated Player

I wanted to say something about Kody and his ability to break locks, but I already got banned once for making a racist joke.. :p
  6. ZypherUSPC Committed Player

The 70/50% for mastery and regular combos for HB was excessive because of the length and the fact that uppercut is the only melee option. That's why blanket balancing doesn't work particularly well with short combos. If short combos (4 tap holds or less) were given a 40/20% reduction weapons would be in a pretty damn good spot damage-wise.

I'd like to think we want to encourage fast, consistent weapon damage emphasizing the importance of counters and precision over slow, hope-they-don't-block-one-shots that requires zero skill.
    • Like x 1
  7. KodyDerp Dedicated Player

I need to see the most recent weapon comparison chart before changing my mind on this. As of now, my opinion remains that HB is fine with these reductions. I don't see why HB uppercut should be more bursty than other weapon combos that take longer to execute and put out less damage. HB was brought in line with these combos and I believe weapons like MA should be brought in line with HB.
    • Like x 1
  8. ZypherUSPC Committed Player

Going forward this is literally one of the easiest things to predict. If one-shots are fixed and HB stays the same at 70/50, we're going to move on to the next 2 best weapons. Then we'll hear complaints about how those need to be brought in line with HB like how Kody just mentioned MA. Once that happens, and you completely take away single target burst and long combo one-shots, you kill weapon relevancy altogether and move on to which power does the best single target damage.. which is light.

We're not fixing weapons right now with this logic, we're just making them irrelevant one by one.
    • Like x 1
  9. Soul Dedicated Player

Some people already decided this is a PC agenda, we "want to push HB because it gives some kind of advantage to PC players".

When in reality we asked for a reduction to Uppercut ourselves, we just made it clear 70% was excessive, and offered something along the lines of 20-35% to put it in line with other weapons.

Brice is working on a comparison chart between 3 taps to Uppercut just to show how absurdly over-nerfed the DMG on HB currently is.
    • Like x 1
  10. ZypherUSPC Committed Player

[IMG]
  11. Mepps Sr. Community Manager

Just one more time, to be crystal clear, everything was reduced by 70%. It wasn't specific to HB. If HB remains OP after the same reduction as everything else, that's a discussion for a later time, but it's a discussion about HB, not about the %.
  12. Mepps Sr. Community Manager

The expectation should be, or is going to have to be, patience. We almost killed Loche getting this initial round pushed up in the schedule, and we're still ironing out issues. Anything next steps don't have a planned date yet, and are reliant on some of the other things going on, including the stat adjustments and weapon midrange changes.
    • Like x 4
  13. Grand Shaw Loyal Player

I'm fine with patience and priorities. In fact that was my main point. As long as one shots are gone, revamping weapons for PvP can be done later, right?

Support roles are a much bigger deal than HB being over nerfed, at least to me. Because as I've said, you can nerf HB all you want. Doesn't change the fact that Two Handed and Dual Pistols are the worst weapons in PvP.
    • Like x 1
  14. Wretched Egg 02 New Player

should be between. fast consistent weapon damage leads to turtling and one shots lead to unfairness/spamming. needs to be medium speed consistent damage for balanced counter play.
  15. Brother Allen Loyal Player

Disclaimer: I realize everything got a blanket 70% reduction but this discussion is just to make sure it is known that Uppercut Mastery receiving a 70% reduction was a bit overkill. HOWEVER...I also acknowledge this is issue for another day.

Uppercut Mastery vs. 3 Melee Tap

So here is how the test went.

Me: 4079 Precision.
    Opposing Player: Full 100 CR gear.

I did 306 Melee Taps and 149 Uppercuts w/ Inspiration. I then matched this pretty darn close with 447 Melee taps w/ Inspiration.

Now this is the important things to remember.

1 Uppercut = 3 Uppercuts because it hits 3 times with one entry
    The third Melee tap on HB's hits harder than the first two.

Over the course of 455 Uppercut Combos and 447 Melee Taps the total damage was:

HB Uppercut Mastery: 343,312
    HB 3 Melee Tap: 373,679

The lowest and highest hit achieved by both:

HB Uppercut Mastery: 220 / 767
    HB Melee Taps: 279 / 2,717

What this ends up meaning is that it is better DPS and safer to do 3 melee tap, right tap than it is to HB Uppercut Mastery, right tap. Also worth noting...3 Melee Tap is faster than Uppercut Mastery.
    • Like x 5
  16. ZypherUSPC Committed Player

So what you're saying is.. melee taps in general need a 90% reduction? :p

I'm kidding.
    • Like x 1
  17. PsianideUK Well-Known Player

You use the word mastery, which afaik is used to specify weapon mastery attacks, not regular weapon attacks...

Are you speccing into weapon mastery for these tests?
  18. Brother Allen Loyal Player

I did for this particular test because Handblaster Uppercut Mastery is what received the 70% reduction. Not normal Uppercut Mastery. That one was already doing around 35-40% less damage than Uppercut Mastery.

I need to test non-Mastery and compare later tonight.
  19. Miserable Dedicated Player

The non-mastery Uppercut is doing decent damage. Definitely more than 3 melee taps.
  20. Brother Allen Loyal Player

I hope so man...I love me some Handblaster. I'll check it out in a bit. If all else fails I'll just move back to MA. It's what I used prior to falling in love with Handblasters.
    • Like x 1