An Unstable Guide to Atomic

Discussion in 'Oracle’s Database (Guides)' started by Snix, Dec 6, 2015.

1. Tallion Well-Known Player

Random question here. Does anyone know if there has been a change to the 71 def = 1% dmg mitigation? The description isn't clear on this at all.
  2. L T Devoted Player

yes. It works totally differently now-- and it's what's held up my updating the tank vs tank thread.

Basically DPS gear gives a certain base defense for a given CR, and if you increase defense by 1% over that baseline, you take 1% less damage. For example, at CR116 full DPS gear gives about 4000 defense, and Tank gear gives 5000, so if you take 100 damage from an attack in DPS gear, you take 80 from the same attack wearing tank gear. I haven't checked at other CR points, but Tank gear it pretty consistent at 15-20% above DPS, so your mitigation remains more or less constant as your CR increases now.
  3. Tallion Well-Known Player

Hmm.. that's an interesting way of doing things. Nice to see that you've already made some progress on figuring this out. I just wish they made the description less vague. I honestly can't think of a reason why they wouldn't include some sort of formula when pretty much all other stats have exact formulas for the number crunchers to theorize on. They're being very weird about this.
  4. Jay Smeezy Dedicated Player

So im not trying to read 30 pages of a guide. Can someone please give me a good raid tank loadout and a good battle tank loadout? Also how is it that i keep getting interrupted with the combo; preventing me from attaining the aura. I know there is a shortcut but im getting interrupted during the atom splitter portion. I switched like a week ago on an alt to test atomic. Thanks in advance
  5. L T Devoted Player

When I tank with Atomic, I like a ranged combo and a melee combo still, even though they're no longer strictly needed for counters.
    Raid Tank load out:

Atomic Reorganization - Atom Splitter - Beta Surge - Unleash Antimatter - Proton Remedy - Density

Beta Surge is about tied with TCE for the fastest combo, and faster combos means better healing. Clip it with unleash antimatter if you're getting interrupted. The immunity should give you enough time to complete a combo and get your aura going. if that doesn't work, swap Thermochemical Explosion for Atom Splitter. You don't really need 2 pulls, and you'll do less damage but get faster heals and be less interruptable.

Battle Tank Load out:

Electron Flare - Atom Splitter - Neutron Bomb - Unleash Antimatter - Proton Remedy - Density

When I battle tank, I use my dps skill points and enough tank gear to meet the minimum dominance of the content. Sometimes I don't even bother with the tank gear. Because my dominance is so low I need density and proton remedy and use them frequently. Keep Electron Flare on cool down. Sometimes I run with Thermochemical Explosion instead of Unleash Antimatter.
    [IMG]
    • Like x 1
  6. Jay Smeezy Dedicated Player

Thank you...
  7. L T Devoted Player

Just realized there's a mistake in my post. I meant Neutrino Blast, not Unleash Anti-matter. Unleash Antimatter used to be a breakout, but now it's the supercharge builder. Not for tanking. Insert "group break-out" wherever you see it above.
    [IMG]
  8. Jay Smeezy Dedicated Player

Ok, i was wondering bout that one. Thanks!
  9. Black Prime OG Devoted Player

How much damage are you getting from that loadout?

My battle tank is thermonuclear, beta, electron flare, robot sidekick, reorganization or group breakout, and sonic cry. Ive tested, and tested, and tested and geiger blast in tank role is not as consistent as sonic cry. Plus it sets up yoir PI for electron flare. I clip each combo with sonic cry. It does some ridiculous damage.

Tanked everything except elite with this, and it works great.

I spec full into might and power. I always try to keep my DOM around 7k and might is around 21k.
  10. L T Devoted Player

Sonic Cry is a neat idea. Geiger Blast should put out bigger bursts, but I've only tested it in dps stance, and I think the animation is longer than sonic cry.

Robot Sidekick is another interesting idea, since I find it near impossible to run low on power in tank stance.

Really Battle tanking for me is more of an after thought. I'm more or less just using my dps armory and switching to tank stance. I use Electron Flare because it's the only DoT in the power set other than the single target one. I never bother setting up a PI for it, it's more just to get the aura going. I'm clipping Atom Smasher with Neutron Bomb, and then back to Atom Smasher. With just those three abilities you're doing about the same damage as Rage, minus one of Rage's dots. Beyond that I haven't really thought about it-- and I don't make any claims to having the best battle-tank load out.

I don't like the idea of tanking without either proton remedy or density. You're giving up on the more tank-ish abilities and just using the faster combos to survive.

[IMG]
  11. Black Prime OG Devoted Player

Looking for suggestions on an atomic single target loadout. My current loadout has plenty of burst and aoe. Just need more single target. Thanks all!
  12. L T Devoted Player

Not a lot of options there. Irradiate is as strong as Electric's Tesla Blast or Gadgets Taser, but Irradiate is a DoT, and can't be spammed.

Particle Beam is on the weak side. I wouldn't recommend it.

Geiger Beam parsed a tad stronger than the rest of the 35% finishers. It might be worth a spot, especially if you have the Energized head mod for it.

Other than that, there's always Heat Vision.

To be honest I usually just skip the single target stuff with atomic. Electron Flare + clipping Atom Smasher and Neutron Bomb back and forth is really effective. On the other hand, you have three spots left on your load out there. I usually run Density, Geiger Beam, and Atomic Blast, but you could easily fit Irradiate or Heat Vision in there if you absolutely need better single target damage.
  13. Black Prime OG Devoted Player

Not sure any of those would work. Like some other powers, I can't just stop for a 35% move or heat vision. It would be a loss in dps. Stinks cause I've been trying everything and can't seem to up my single target damage.
  14. jpharrah1010 Steadfast Player

Its sad this power set still has no real way of doing single target damage... or hybrid damage spec..does it even have much of a weapon spec ?...

There are a lot of useless powers on it that could easily be re worked for hybrid
    • Like x 1
  15. Black Prime OG Devoted Player

I don't think any of the combo powers have many options to go hybrid or WE, without using iconics. Yeah, I'm very disappointed with the single target damage of atomic and the available powers. Now that we have a scoreboard that shows how bad it is, it makes me sad. My damage I'm able to put out is fine, until it's single boss time.

Sure wish each power had similar 100 powers that did similar damage, or the 35% moves actually all work the same, cause I've tried that also. Munitions still seems to be the best.
  16. KiteManHellYeah New Player

So Im working on building an atomic tank but I've got some questions about aggro generation and taunting. This isn't really special atomic so if there is a better place to ask let me know.

I've tankd in quite a few MMO games and usually keeping aggro and taunts work one of to ways. The first way would be a straight threat counter and multiplicative threat moves. So evey damaging move done on a target and ever heal from healer would generate threat, usually based on strength of damage/heal and whoever had highest threat pulled aggro. Without a tank this would be highest DPS or healer. But the tanks had taunts which multiples their threat value on each use. The So if DPS has 1000 threat and healer has 950 and tank has 500 when the tank had 500 when they taunted that threat would get multiplied and theyd be at maybe 2000 threat. This made it so tanks required a good rotation to keep decent baseline threat and rotate in taunts to their rotation every so often to make sure other roles never got a higher threat number than them so they'd never lose aggro. Tanks would usually have both a single target taunt and an aoe taunt. The second way for keeping aggro I'm familiar with is just strictly time based taunts. In this system there are still threat value and highest DPS will usually pull aggro but tanks have taunts which force an enemy to attack them and only them for a set amount of seconds. This requires tank to constantly be taunting every few secondson the boss and adds in order to maintain aggro.

I see that there are taunts in the game and they seem to work similar to the second system I described. For instance I think it's particle beam ( could be mistaken) for atomic which states it forces enemy to attack them for 12 seconds. However whenever i see people's tanks loadouts I never see anyone listing the taunt. I also don't notice most tanks I see using it. So I'm confused how aggro works in this game. I know without a tank usually top DPS gets aggro so there's obviously a threat system behind the scenes. But how does this work with tanks? If taunts aren't needed how do we get and maintain aggro and prevent someone else from pulling it? In other games I'd never consider going into a boss fight without a tauntand, usually two at that, so it's really confusing me why people arent using it so I'm obviously missing something. Does every like pull move pseudo taunt in tank stance even tho it's not stated in description? Does one of our stats keep us on top of threat charts? Please explain.

Tldr: please explain how threat\aggro generation works in this game and why it doesn't seem taunts are utilized/needed
  17. L T Devoted Player

Yeah DCUO has a system with a hate/aggression table but everything gets simplified when there's a tank. Using any ability from your tray as a tank puts you at the top of the list for getting attacked. If you use a shield or a self-heal or a melee attack it taunts everything within 12ish meters of you. If you use a ranged attack it taunts everything in the proximity of where your attack hits.

Sometimes you want to be more granular than that-- especially when there's more than one tank present. "I'll get the adds and you tank the boss" type of situations. That's where the special, single-target taunts come into play. They'll taunt the target even if another tank is close by using lots of abilities.

Every once in a while every enemy in the game resets their hate table (every 12 seconds maybe? I forget the exact time). So you'll lose aggro if you don't use abilities often-- which isn't an issue for atomic tanks. Also, some bosses have scripted attacks where they'll randomly attack a different member of the group or the farthest one away or some other twist that the devs cook up. When that happens you have to wait until the attack is over and re-taunt the boss.
  18. Roocck Committed Player

Hola,

I recently repec from Ice to Atomic and have been tanking but i am losing aggro with higher cr and sp players and healers having a difficult time keeping me up in raids. Need of some help on where to put in my points for my stats...
  19. Black Prime OG Devoted Player

Since update 80, I've had to pull back on my damage tanking and go more beefy. Not sure of your SP, but my pure tank spec is full dom, 5 points into health, 5 points into resto, get the healing or damage crits, the rest into might and power. My mods are mostly dom and might. My LO is, forgive me on the names, the AOE pull, beta surge, self shield, break out short cut to aura, long range pull, and the SC group shield. Some choose the heal short cut, but I like the breakout. This should get make you fell less squishy. I know our aura heals and all, but stuff hits harder now. Shields are your friend. Grab that head mod for the SC and you can keep that SC up quite often.
  20. Roocck Committed Player

Any points on Dom?